MAD LIBS X

127 posts / 0 new
Last post

MAD LIBS 1

Mad Libs is a zanny contest series that aims to make contestants design cards while standing on their heads. It probably isn't the best formula for testing your design skill sets, but the skills it does test make me smile a thousand times wider.

Contest Rules

1. Anyone may join this contest. Don't be fooled by the round number—that just refers to how many times I've run this one-shot contest.

2. I will post a list of word types for you to provide individual answers for. If you are at all familiar with the popular Mad Libs games, you'll understand why. If you have no idea what those are... read on. You have until Monday night, July 1st to submit your answers.

3. On Tuesday, July 2nd, I will post the round's criteria with words missing in the sentences. Each of the words you chose will be filled into their corresponding spaces within the criteria.
    Example: Suppose I make you choose a "color" and a "verb." You choose "red" and "walk." Then, I post a criteria like the following:Make a "color" card that represents something that can "verb". You'd fill in your chosen words into the "underlined" blanks. Get it? Good.

4. After figuring out what your individual criteria is, make a card based on it. You'll have until Friday night, July 5th to submit your entry.

5. Grading is based on the following rubric. Each submission starts with 3 points in each category, then gets points added or subtracted accordingly. Thus, 4 is the lowest score, 12 is the average score, and 20 is the higest score: 

Bravery - 5 (Simple answers will give you an easier task overall, but a smaller chance at points on this scale.)
    Application - 5 (How well did you adapt to the constraints of your personal criteria?)
    Innovation - 5 (Criteria aside, is the card intriguing?)
    Delivery - 5 (All the wording, balance, flavor mumbo jumbo is graded here. Depending on the card, certain things will appear more important than others on this scale.)

MAD LIBS 10 - FILL IN THE BLANKS

"Article of clothing"
"Number"
"MAGIC guild"
"Way to get from here to there" (From walking to traveling on a beam of light... as long as it gets you moving)
"Adjective"

Assignment

You crack a pack of the latest set and your eyes almost pop out of your head: what an amazing card! You've always had trouble defeating "MAGIC guild" decks, and this card is perfect against them. Getting/doing one of something is fun, but this card let's you get/do that something "Number" times! And the theme is so interesting. Never did you think they'd print a card depicting something traveling via "Way to get from here to there" in its flavor text. And how they came up with the name "Adjective" "Article of clothing" for it baffles you, but you like it. Full playset, please!

Good luck! Please remember to quote your word choices to make my job easier.

Previous Mad Libs

1. [thread=912341]Round Winner[/thread] - Glare_of_the_Loxodon 

2. [thread=917336]Round Winner[/thread] - squinty_eyes 

3. [thread=922314]Round Winner[/thread] - Arathinius 

4. [thread=926199]Round Winner[/thread] - bobby2055 

5. [thread=934437]Round Winner[/thread] - silaws & Timmy Turner 

6. [thread=949156]Round Winner[/thread] - Ephemeron & Riovard 

7. [thread=955421]Round Winner[/thread] - Q_is_564453 

8. [thread=959714]Round Winner[/thread] - Reag

9. [thread=1185410]Round Winner[/thread] - Reag & Mono789

Seeing the last winners makes me sad. Glare doesn't even make cards anymore
Bikini Top
Simic
Dancing
Fluffy
Article of clothing: Pants
Number: ½.
Guild: Izzet
Method of transportation: Cannon
Adjective: Simple
Borzhovios, the guild of perpetual sleep (or must we pick something real?)

A real guild. Much of the time, you can choose wild answers, but not for this particular blank.
Seeing the last winners makes me sad. Glare doesn't even make cards anymore

Seeing the links pointing to gleemax makes me nostalgic. I miss the hourglasses on the thread list.

Anyway:

Cravat
-1 (I hope this breaks something)
Orzhov
Saunter
Old
Cloak
Orzhov
Zeppelin
Filthy 
Elbow Pad
Simic
Transmutation Canister
Delivery
This is happening.

Balaclava
DIMIR
Tight rope
walk
Precarious
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
"Article of clothing"
"Number"
"MAGIC guild"
"Way to get from here to there" (From walking to traveling on a beam of light... as long as it gets you moving)
"Adjective"

Pants
Selesnya
Rollerblading
Fuzzy 
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
The Dark Lord's Helmet
Rakdos
Teleportation
Infinite 
Borzhovios, the guild of perpetual sleep (or must we pick something real?)

A real guild. Much of the time, you can choose wild answers, but not for this particular blank.

Fixed.

Atmospheric diving suit

gruul

moonwalking(the dance technique)

(mostly) harmless

"Article of clothing"
Backpack
"Number"
Fourteen
"MAGIC guild"
Civic
"Way to get from here to there" (From walking to traveling on a beam of light... as long as it gets you moving)
Tunneling
"Adjective"

Spunky

Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me

• Blazer

• Izzet

• Riding a mechanical dragon

• Reckless

Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
"Article of clothing"
Backpack
"Number"
Fourteen
"MAGIC guild"
Civic
Tunneling
"Adjective"

Spunky

Oh damn I forgot about the older guilds!

Your words make me think of finn.
Cramp-Ons
Six
Raven Guild (or Azorious if it must be Ravnican)
Fodder Cannon
Slanderous
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
lol last round was 4 years ago!?

"Article of clothing"
The red underwear that superman wears outside.

"Number"
pi

"MAGIC guild"
Does Tolarian count?

Wurm hole

"Adjective"
Hot

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

• Emperor's Gown

• Orzhov

• Imagination

• Subjugated

4 is my favorite number, kay.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

"Article of clothing" Headdress 
"Number" 3
"MAGIC guild" Golgari
"Way to get from here to there" Chariot
"Adjective" Osseous
"Article of clothing": Dragonhide cloak
"Number": ∞
"MAGIC guild": Boros, because nobody's used it yet.
"Way to get from here to there": Rainbow?
"Adjective": Hmm, I know this one... Let me think... Got it... SCRIBBLENAUTICAL

• Emperor's Gown

• Orzhov

• Imagination

• Subjugated

mine too. well right after 12 anyway

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Top Hat
2.1765113x10^-8
Simic
Travel Montage
Mellifluous 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Cloak
Dimir
Floating on air
Menacing  

• Emperor's Gown

• Orzhov

• Imagination

• Subjugated

mine too. well right after 12 anyway

Does Obstinate Baloth make you happy?
Everything is four.
There's 16 char in his name including the space, which is 4x4.

I was wondering if there are other magic card that is more 4-y

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Loincloth
Simic Shaper
Tentacles (of the ambulatory variety)
Incandescent
Ooh, I love MadLibs

Clothing A red coat.

Number: 36

Guild: Boros

Way to Get from Here to There:  Riding a dragon.

Adjective: Vampiric
If I get more entries than this year's Idol audition, everybody wins!
Wasn't that 50?!?!
"Article of clothing"
"Number"
"MAGIC guild"
"Way to get from here to there" (From walking to traveling on a beam of light... as long as it gets you moving)
"Adjective"

Sock
Simic
Teleport
Taciturn 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
If I get more entries than this year's Idol audition, everybody wins!

Well, that decides that.

clothing: skirt
number: 17, duh
guild: shadow
way: falling 
adjective: porphyrogene

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Strap
Death Guild (My favorite part of Burning Man, by far.) (Or I guess Rakdos, since it's basically the same thing.)
Crawl
Pulchritudinous

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Guys, it specifically says MAGIC Guilds. Choose a guild from this little game called Magic: the Gathering. MadLibs are fun, but not when you have jerks purposefully messing it up.
"Article of clothing"
"Number"
"MAGIC guild"
"Adjective"

Sweatshirt
Forty-Three
Boros
Teleportation
Bright
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Guys, it specifically says MAGIC Guilds. Choose a guild from this little game called Magic: the Gathering. MadLibs are fun, but not when you have jerks purposefully messing it up.

Magic guilds currently referenced on cards:
Azorius
Boros
Dimir
Golgari
Gruul
Izzet
Orzhov
Rakdos
Selesnya
Simic

Armorer
Civic
Granger
Shadow
Shaper

Pretty sure creativity and rule bending are part of the fun. Anyway, you're not forced to use anyone else's words, so what do you care?

Gloves
Gruul
Parkour
Instinctive

Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
"Article of clothing"--Tunic
"Number"--5
"MAGIC guild"--Shadow
"Way to get from here to there"--Riding in a giant enchanted skull
"Adjective"--Fifth

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Article of clothing - Goggles
Number - X
MAGIC guild - Izzet
Way to get from here to there - Blazekite
Adjective - Unintended

Magic guilds currently referenced on cards:
Azorius
Boros
Dimir
Golgari
Gruul
Izzet
Orzhov
Rakdos
Selesnya
Simic

Armorer
Civic
Granger
Shadow
Shaper

Pretty sure creativity and rule bending are part of the fun. Anyway, you're not forced to use anyone else's words, so what do you care?

Yes, Creativity is part of the fun. In fact, if someone chose one of those last five guilds I'd probably be pretty impressed. But rule bending is not. You know, you just hit one of my pet peeves, so here is a mini-rant. I know it doesn't affect me, but they are still not following the rules. So you are defending people breaking the rules for absolutely Zero reason. I care because people who purposefullly break rules piss me off. You know, if the OP was kind of lazy and only put Guild without specifying, I wouldn't care. But he or she specified MAGIC and then later in the thread specified it again. When people have so little respect for the thread, ESPECIALLY if it's a game so you want to have fun but need to still stay in the rules, it annoys me. So that's why I care.

tl;dr: I hate people who don't follow the rules. Especially in games, because you need rules to have structure and not let it fall apart. Oh, and don't defend people breaking the rules if I'm in the thread because that annoys me even more and I make annoying mini-rants.
The problem with your mini-rant, as I see it, is that you're not making a point to aid the player breaking the rules. Your announcement comes off as mean, and that doesn't really help anyone to play better. In the end, this is a fun contest and slightly abusing the rules may or may not cause a deduction to your score. But it's not as though this person is maliciously trying to destroy the game. They're just maneuvering as they see best fit, ESPECIALLY given that I say your reward is bigger for being risky. 
Article: Bowtie.
Number: Eleven.
MAGIC Guild: Cateran.
Transportation: Kayaking.
Adjective: Qlippothic. 
From nothing came teeth.