Magic 2014 Card Interaction: "Is it supposed to work this way?"

970 posts / 0 new
Last post

LadenSwallow wrote:

That said, did you have a scroll bar down the side of the card? Did you fully scroll down to the bottom of the card (or at least so that the full rules text of the ability is visible)? I think with evil twin (and the lesser twin phantasmal image) that copied activated abilities won't work from zoomed in view unless you can read the full text of the ability when you try to click it.

Thanks for the comprehensive response.

I'm aware of the scrolling thing.  Mirror-mad's ability was at the top of the card's text with evil twin's ability at the bottom which required scrolling to. I zoomed the card tried highlighing the correct ability multiple times but when it was highlighted it wouldn't let me activate.

That same thing happened to me also and I figured out that I needed to move my controller/joystick over enough to highlight the ability and for some reason it wouldn't let me. I kept moving and moving it until it finally highlighted the activated ability, but it took me so long that the damage happened, killing me. (My activation was during the combat phase on my opponents turn)

Use pause next time, that's what it's there for.

Good luck.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Thanks for the unnecessary, condisending attitude, Wuster. 

Rest assured that in my case the pause was successfully engaged but the ability still could not be activated. 

Just my stupid, dry sense of humor.

I mean no harm... most of the time. 

I don't understand why this is an issue with the tablets other than they just screwed up the coding for the action to be used with a touch screen.

I really would hope next year they do more extensive testing with the tablets.

You guy are getting screwed left and right with no happy endings.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

The sad part is, the 2013 interface was more intuitive and performant. Not sure why they felt the need to change it, and who decided things should be worse.

I'm on 360. 

Maybe it was a one-off bug. I'll try testing. 

Figured you were on a tablet. I've not had any issues using scroll abilities with the PS3.

Show

Arctic.Wolves wrote:

The sad part is, the 2013 interface was more intuitive and performant. Not sure why they felt the need to change it, and who decided things should be worse.

In 2013, you could go from editing a deck to the deck wheel.  Current version can't do that, and current version takes longer to do everything for no obvious reason.

2 + 2 = fish

I play a localizied version, so I can't give you the cardnames involved, in english, but I don't think it's going to matter much, because the situation was rather simple:

A 8/9 creature with trample and deathtouch attacked and was blocked by a 3/1 without any special skills and a 6/10 with protection from creatures.

The expectation was, that both the 8/9 and the 3/1 get killed and no trample damage get's through.

That wasn't the case though. I took seven points of trample damage and died in the process.

To my understanding, the rest of the damage should have gone to the 6/10 and vanish from there, because it has protection.

saying that: "oh, I can't hit that 6/10 because of protection, but I have trample, then I hit it for zero and the trample damage get's through", sounds ridiculous.

That can't be right, right ?

Only one point of damage has to be assigned with Deathtouch.

It could not send that point to the pro creature so all damage had to be assigned to the 3/1.

Show

Assigning and dealing damage are two separate actions. Protection prevents damage from being dealt, but not from being assigned.

A creature with trample only needs to assign lethal damage to its blockers, then is free to assign its remaining damage to the defending player. Deathtouch makes it so that 1 damage is lethal.

In this case, the 8/9 assigns 1 damage to each blocker, then the remaining 6 damage to the defending player. Only after the damage is assigned is it dealt. The fact that some of that damage will be prevented has no impact on how it is assigned.

I was on the right track.

Thanks again puzzled.

I hope you join us in our new home.

Show

Hmm. To the best of my understanding a creature with Trample and Deathtouch only needs to inflict a single point of damage to kill any blockers (even if they don't technically die in the process) before any additional damage is carried through. In the above example the 8/9 should have dealt 1 damage to the 3/1, 1 damage to the 6/10 (which would have survived) then the remaining 6 damage should have gone through to you.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

If that's really what happened, then it's both working correctly, and at the same time not working correctly.

The reason you took damage was because of the deathtouch, which means that the critter with Trample only has to assign 1 damage to each defending creature (as that would be lethal under normal circumstances) before it can trample over them. In this case, the 8/9 should have done 1 damage to the 3/1 (killing it), attempted to do 1 damage to the 6/10 (which would have been prevented thanks to its protection), then assigned the rest to you.

However, that means you should have taken six damage, not seven. Are you absolutely sure it was seven damage that got through?

EDIT: Triple ninja'd.

Draconarius wrote:

However, that means you should have taken six damage, not seven. Are you absolutely sure it was seven damage that got through?

Yes I'm sure. I went from 1 to -6

Didn't know that deathtouch would change the whole trample situation to only one damage per creature.. But as you said, one damage dealt to much.

So maybe a slight bug there. I'll try and get the english card names involved together and post this again in the bug section.

Thanks everyone.

I was playing EtD, and I used Sneak Attack to sneak in a Predator Dragon and Kilnmouth Dragon, and at end step, only the Predator was sacrificed and I got to keep Kilnmouth. I thought it was a bug, so in a later game, I sneaked in a Kilnmouth at my opponents end step and I got to untap with it still on the battlefield.

This is a known bug.  When you use sneak attack to cheat multiple creatures into play, it sometimes only asks you to sacrifice one of them.

2 + 2 = fish

Mjack is correct in regards to the first scenario; that is indeed a confirmed bug. That second scenario you mentioned is actually working correctly, though. Sneak Attack tells you to sacrifice at the beginning of the next step. If you activate the ability during the end step, then the trigger point has come and gone and you will get to keep the creature until the following turn's end step.

Hi,

I came across a wierd thing when playing pvp.

I was playing Guardians of light and my opponent was playing Deadwalkers.

I cast pariah and Indestructibility on my opponents Geralf's Messenger

The idea being that he would not be able to do me any damage...

However When he attacked sure enough the Geralf's Messenger took the damage meant for me but it died and took advantage of it's undying status.

This to me seems wrong, surely the Indestructibility should have not allowed the 0 toughness to kill it right??

Suffice to say I lost the game based upon that.

Peace,

Tim37UK

Are you sure you didn't accidentally cast Indestructibility on your own Pariah instead of your opponent's creature? Both simplified targetting, if you have it on, and the game's first suggested target would lead you to enchant Pariah because it's a permanent you control. If you have simplified targetting off, you'd still have to zoom in on the enchanted creature to choose to enchant Geralf's Messenger.

ShidoshiWins wrote:

Are you sure you didn't accidentally cast Indestructibility on your own Pariah instead of your opponent's creature? Both simplified targetting, if you have it on, and the game's first suggested target would lead you to enchant Pariah because it's a permanent you control. If you have simplified targetting off, you'd still have to zoom in on the enchanted creature to choose to enchant Geralf's Messenger.

I also thought of that too, I was very carefull to place the Indestructibility on the Geralf's Messenger.

I don't use simplified targeting, it restricts your options.

Seems like a bug to me, unless there was some rule I was unaware of about undying?

Peace,

Tim,

@Tim37UK

Different scenarios with indestructibility and other auras on a creature have been reported, but we have never been able to reproduce it.

There are no bugs with undying that I'm aware of.

Did you zoom in when you targetted the geralf ? That targetting arrow is very sneaky if you don't. Even going straight through the permanent you're pointing at sometimes.

Mwuanno wrote:

@Tim37UK

Different scenarios with indestructibility and other auras on a creature have been reported, but we have never been able to reproduce it.

There are no bugs with undying that I'm aware of.

Did you zoom in when you targetted the geralf ? That targetting arrow is very sneaky if you don't. Even going straight through the permanent you're pointing at sometimes.

It was late last night so I can't be 100% sure, but I'm an experienced player and always zoom when casting multiple enchantments for the very reason of casting on the wrong card. It's like second nature, you just do it without thinking.

Perhaps Wizards should fix the miss targeting issue by releasing an update that would highlight the card selected making the cards above the targeted card transparent to avoid such an issue?

Peace,

Tim

So we are playing FFA and Sylvan Might has Ambush Commander out. He plays a Forest - it becomes a 1/1 creature (as it should) but the thing has summoning sickness (and as such can not be tapped for mana). Is this correct?

Of course. Summoning sickness affects all creatures that don't have Haste.

Figured as much. Just thought I would check in case him also being a land counted for anything. Another point in the mountainous pile of reasons not to run him then.

OK, Here it goes... I have noticed a few odd things in DotP 2014... this particular one happened at an inopportune time so I am looking for some clarification as I haven't played much recently.

I was in a Sealed Deck dual (final match in the sealed deck lineup) vs Garruk  and here is the pre-attack staging...

Garruk Battlefield

- Protean Hydra with 4 counters ... making it a 4/4
- Staff of the Mages

Garruk Graveyard
- Hunt the weak... grrr!

My Battlefield

- Striking Silver (x2)

- Hypnotic Spector

- Giant Scorpion (built-in deathtouch)

My Graveyard -  Empty.

So, Garruk attacks me with his 4/4 Protean Hydra and I choose to block with my Giant Scorpion.

The little battle screen comes up and his Hydra deals its 4 damage to my Scorpion and the Scorpion dies (expected).  However, the Scorpion did no return damage; hence, the Hydra did not perish from the deathtouch (not expected).

Is there a reason why the Hydra dealt damage as if it had first strike, when it did not?

Thanks!
SP

Protean Hydra prevents all damage that would be dealt to it.

And deatchtouch needs damage to work 

Yep, I missed the part where it prevented damage.  Thanks!

In a zombie deck mirror match,

how do I see which zombie is mine and which is his when my opponent has 2 gravecrawlers and he reanimated mine? there are no symbols or anything like this on the cards.

so I targeted his twice and he just played it from the graveyard once again -.-

LiangHuBBB wrote:

how do I see which zombie is mine and which is his when my opponent has 2 gravecrawlers and he reanimated mine? there are no symbols or anything like this on the cards.

Unless you followed the card with your eyes, then in DOTP, you don't.

Cast Mutilate and recover ;)

Mwuanno wrote:

LiangHuBBB wrote:

Unless you followed the card with your eyes, then in DOTP, you don't.

Cast Mutilate and recover ;)

wow rly that kinda *****

oh well

thx for the heads up

I just played a game with the Dimir deck and had just played Shadowborn Demon and placed a Followed Footsteps on it, thinking that it would give me a choice as to which I could activate first.  However, when it came to my turn again, the Demon's ability activated first, forcing me to sac it.  I believe if I were playing real Magic, I would get to choose which ability activated first, since they both say "At the beginning of your upkeep..."  Is this just an annoying quirk of the game, or is there a way for me to avoid this?

The game handles it as the first card played.

You played the Demon first so at upkeep it will trigger first.

Show

But it would let me choose if I were playing a game in real life, right?

Yes. When multiple things trigger at the same time, its controller choses in which order they are placed on the stack. This only applies to stuff you control, if you and your opponent both have a Soul Warden on the battlefield and its your turn and you play a creature, your creature would trigger first and your opponent would gain life first, since it triggers in APNAP order (active player, non active player)

Lord_Skoonie wrote:

But it would let me choose if I were playing a game in real life, right?

Sorry I wasn't more detailed.

This Game simplifies the stack and that is why it worked that way for you.

Show

It wouldn't matter. Even if you got to choose the order and set it up so the Demon's ability triggered last, you would still have to choose the target for his ability before any of the abilities had resolved.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Sign In to post comments