Magic 2014 Card Interaction: "Is it supposed to work this way?"

970 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lol, I said we don't run those two!!

Our newer combos are very fun though. We are still learning and doing some stupid stuff though.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Ya know, if we make a big fuss about that example in particular, there's a better than bad chance that they'll actually fix it. That's a pretty serious problem, and wouldn't be all that uncommon if you play those decks together.

Hi guys. I have three questions. Thanks in advance for the help.

1) I was playing AG against HS. HS used Hunt the Weak on my Champion of the Parish. I cast Hallow to prevent the damage but my creature still died. I thought the fight mechanic was spell damage not combat damage? I remember my Fog Bank getting killed by Prey Upon in Magic 2013 all the time. So is it combat or spell damage?

2) I was using SH with a bunch of slivers on the board and I put out a Wild Pair. Next turn I cast Bonescythe Sliver but I didn’t get to put out my other one that I know was in my deck. Is that because as soon as I cast it gets modified by my other slivers on the board even before it lands? If so that makes Wild Pair kind of useless in this deck.

3) I was using MD and attacked with Ghastlord of Fugue. After I choose an opponents card to exile my turn immediately ended. I had cards I could have played and I have hold priority on. I attacked the next turn and the same thing happened. It skipped my second main phase. Then the next turn I attacked and the opponent has no cards left to exile. This time I did get a chance to play my 2nd main phase. Anyone else have this happen?

Hi guys. I have three questions. Thanks in advance for the help.

1) I was playing AG against HS. HS used Hunt the Weak on my Champion of the Parish. I cast Hallow to prevent the damage but my creature still died. I thought the fight mechanic was spell damage not combat damage? I remember my Fog Bank getting killed by Prey Upon in Magic 2013 all the time. So is it combat or spell damage?

Combat damage happens only during combat, when creatures hit each other. No spell makes combat damage and its also not 'spell damage'. In a fight situation creatures deals damage to each other (note the reminder text on Prey Upon). Fight is basically a two sided Soul's Fire

2) I was using SH with a bunch of slivers on the board and I put out a Wild Pair. Next turn I cast Bonescythe Sliver but I didn’t get to put out my other one that I know was in my deck. Is that because as soon as I cast it gets modified by my other slivers on the board even before it lands? If so that makes Wild Pair kind of useless in this deck.

If you had a Megantic Sliver or something similar on the board then Bonescythe Sliver entered the battlefield as a 5/5, not 2/2. There is no instance where the sliver would not be getting its buff, that's why you couldn't find anything with Wild Pair

3) I was using MD and attacked with Ghastlord of Fugue. After I choose an opponents card to exile my turn immediately ended. I had cards I could have played and I have hold priority on. I attacked the next turn and the same thing happened. It skipped my second main phase. Then the next turn I attacked and the opponent has no cards left to exile. This time I did get a chance to play my 2nd main phase. Anyone else have this happen?

Any more info on this?

Also to autocard (like i did) type [ c ]Ghastlord of Fugue[ /c ] without the spaces to get Ghastlord of Fugue

I call bug - hard to tell exactly what triggered it though.

I have seen a funny thing the other night. I played DW against Chandra, I was in the lead but he managed to get 2 critters to stick. He's @ 4 mountains, I have 5 swamps, 1 undying zombie and 1 black cat. I'm slightly in the lead on health, and I topdeck a cloud.

I cast it with X = 2 and have an empty hand. He has 3 cards in hand, and I find that to fit the bill perfectly.

So, he chooses, I choose and so on, and just as I sac everything, the undying trigger goes on the stack and deathcloud appears on the stack again. So I am forced to choose the rest of my lands to sac, it resolves and puts ALL lands back into play, all creatures AND puts deathcloud back on the stack. After running through the cycle 4 times to see if either of us could break it, we had to exit the game.

Yes, absolutely a bug. What made it happen ? I haven't the faintest idea. (insert comment about coding at your convenience)
Opponent casts Spinal Embrace on my Pelakka Wurm during their combat phase.

The wurm dies due to the sacrifice trigger and seems to attempt to apply another trigger in the graveyard but I do not draw a card.

Is this correct because the wording on the wurm is a bit vague so I'm not 100% sure who has control etc etc.  I didn't note whether my opponent drew a card as I wasn't paying enough attention.

Thanks.
Opponent casts Spinal Embrace on my Pelakka Wurm during their combat phase.

The wurm dies due to the sacrifice trigger and seems to attempt to apply another trigger in the graveyard but I do not draw a card.

Is this correct because the wording on the wurm is a bit vague so I'm not 100% sure who has control etc etc.  I didn't note whether my opponent drew a card as I wasn't paying enough attention.

Thanks.

That's working correctly. The Wurm's draw-a-card ability applies to its current controller, so when your opponent sacrificed it, it triggered for him. I assume he would have drawn a card. But, since you owned the card, it went back to your graveyard.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate how when I play Oracle of Mul Daya people get to kill it or bounce it before I play a land. I wish DOTP used the priority system.  

I've had this happen to me as well, it probably mistakes the "Confirm" for choosing the card to exile with the "Confirm" to pass your 2nd Main Phase. I've only had it happen once for me though, gotta test again.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate how when I play Oracle of Mul Daya people get to kill it or bounce it before I play a land. I wish DOTP used the priority system.  

Agreed, this is terribly annoying.
So, Ghastlord of Fugue is busted as was mentioned.

First, you get to pick the card to exile and press "Y" to confirm (Xbox) - this works fine. What happens next, though, is that there is a dialog that pops up called "revealed card" that you have to confirm also - doing this ends your turn. I tried pressing all sorts of buttons other than "Y" to get this off the screen to no avail. There is no way to move on that will let you play your second main phase. Very annoying.
So, Ghastlord of Fugue is busted as was mentioned. First, you get to pick the card to exile and press "Y" to confirm (Xbox) - this works fine. What happens next, though, is that there is a dialog that pops up called "revealed card" that you have to confirm also - doing this ends your turn. I tried pressing all sorts of buttons other than "Y" to get this off the screen to no avail. There is no way to move on that will let you play your second main phase. Very annoying.

I will enter this as a confirmed bug.
Thanks guys.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

For the card Cyclops Gladiator (gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....)

While I was playing Magic 2014, for some reason, I attacked Unruly Mob (1/1) with Cyclops Gladiator and it sent my Cyclops gladiator to the graveyard before the attack/block phase. The Unruly Mob also died but how does this make sense? Is this a bug? A 4/4 vs 1/1?

Ok so the way I understood the wording was "... if you do, that creature deals damage equal to its power to Cyclops Gladiator". That to me says - deals damage equal to the power of the target card you are attacking. Aka. if I use cyclops gladiator to attack a 2/1 card, cyclops deals 4 damage and the 2/1 card deals 2 damage to cyclops gladiator. The context of "its" is the target card and not the Cyclops Gladiator.

Furnace of Rath?

Edit: You are positive that Unruly Mob did not have a 1/1 counter on it?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Two furnaces would do it. It's the only way guv.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Hi all,

Playing Jace's Mind Maze and am on the gargoyle encounter that features prison term, which I noticed enchanted one of my illusion creatures, with didn't kill it (didnt kill my illudion from targeting). Why!? Is this normal?
Hi all, Playing Jace's Mind Maze and am on the gargoyle encounter that features prison term, which I noticed enchanted one of my illusion creatures, with didn't kill it (didnt kill my illudion from targeting). Why!? Is this normal?

What illusion was it? Krovikan Mist perhaps?

Aug 10, 2013 -- 9:57AM, robertmarkbram wrote:

Hi all, Playing Jace's Mind Maze and am on the gargoyle encounter that features prison term , which I noticed enchanted one of my illusion creatures, with didn't kill it (didnt kill my illudion from targeting). Why!? Is this normal?

What illusion was it? Krovikan Mist perhaps?

Fairly sure it was gossamer phantasm, but since I switched to Chrome from Duel of the Planeswalkers 2014 on my iPad 2 mid-battle, the game crashed. Should have taken a screen capture..
Aura spells only target when they're on the stack (which is sort of a given, since spells only exist on the stack).

Prison Term's triggered ability doesn't target.
I guess it's behaving correctly but what is the reason that Rise from the Grave can be used to get a Gaea's Revenge from the gy?
Ruling: Gaea's Revenge's first ability works only while it's a spell on the stack. Gaea's Revenge's last ability works only while it's on the battlefield.

Abilities on cards only work while on the stack if it applies (like uncounterable) or on the battlefield if it applies (like protection or hexproof) unless otherwise stated.

Example: Gravecrawlers ability only works in the graveyard. This is stated specifically on the card. 
Just played a game against Chant; he had out five Forests and one Gladeheart. That's it.

Then he tapped his 5 lands and ENTWINED Tooth and Nail, bringing out a Terastodon and an It That Betrays.

Is this a known glitch?

My apologies if this is old news.
Are you on steam? If so that is a known hack.

2 + 2 = fish

Ruling: Gaea's Revenge's first ability works only while it's a spell on the stack. Gaea's Revenge's last ability works only while it's on the battlefield.

Abilities on cards only work while on the stack if it applies (like uncounterable) or on the battlefield if it applies (like protection or hexproof) unless otherwise stated.

Example: Gravecrawlers ability only works in the graveyard. This is stated specifically on the card. 

Abilities work only from one zone. The battlefield is the only default; working on any other zone depends on the ability clearly needing to work there.

Only things on the stack can be countered, so Revenge's "can't be countered" ability can only work on the stack.

Revenge's "can't be target of non-green things" can work on the battlefield and don't mention other zones, so it only works on the battlefield.
[<o>]
Also, don't forget that Phantasmal Image and Evil Twin don't actually target, so they can and will make copies of it.

Interesting actually...can an Evil Twin target a revenge with it's activated ability? You are paying UB, but it is coming from a green scource so I would imagine that yes, it can.

Quickly, activate the PuzzledMint signal!
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Also, don't forget that Phantasmal Image and Evil Twin don't actually target, so they can and will make copies of it. Interesting actually...can an Evil Twin target a revenge with it's activated ability? You are paying UB, but it is coming from a green scource so I would imagine that yes, it can. Quickly, activate the PuzzledMint signal!

Of course it can, the only thing that matters is the color of the source, not what type of mana was paid to activate the ability.
Figured as much, just curious since the situation isn't one you see often.

On a more fun note, playing that with HS and hitting an elephant guide and rancour will be sweet, but I can't see much use for revenge overall. Would much rather have a trample beasty.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Searched the thread but did not see this anywhere. I just played 2HG against DW with my mate doing CMD. DW puts out Grave Betrayal and my mate plays All is Dust on our turn. I would have expected that the enchant would leave the battlefield at the same time all the colored items go, so they should not come back. However, they did under DW control at the end step. Is that how it is supposed to work, or is there a complex stack thing going on?
When multiple objects enter/leave the battlefield at the same time, they see each other enter/leave.
It's the same as dropping Damnation when you have a Blood Artist or two out, or throwing a kicked Rite of Replication on a Soul Warden.
OK thanks (making sure grave betrayal is in my 2HG build).
How come sometimes you can target Lord of the Unreal with Prey or Nature's Lore and then sometimes you cann't? Also why can blue copy a creature with hexproof?
If Phantasmal Image copies Lord of the Unreal, it will have Hexproof because it's an Illusion.
Phantasmal Image can copy creatures with hexproof because it doesn't target.

EDIT

Dont even know why I try, damn puzzledmint, he must have a secret alarm...

:P 
If Phantasmal Image copies Lord of the Unreal, it will have Hexproof because it's an Illusion.
Phantasmal Image can copy creatures with hexproof because it doesn't target.

Duh I totally overlooked the fact that Lord of the Unreal is human and this doesn't grant himself hexproof. Thanks for the explanation!
more power to mind's maze
Staff of the Mind Magus Twincast the Twincast enjoy infinite health, broken
Copies created by Twincast are created directly on the stack. They aren't cast, and won't trigger the Staves.
more power to mind's maze
Staff of the Mind Magus Twincast the Twincast enjoy infinite health, broken

This is not the place for your disinformation.
This is for legitimate questions on card interactions and not immature, uninformed, however small rants.

Thank you. Have a nice day.

Show

Puzzle, DjAmp, Slodice, Draco, Kanger, Karstien, Captain, Muwanno, Laden, zamm, and others who have really put their minds into this (you know who you are).
Let me know if any of you are on Steam. I know a couple are.
As it's the only platform that I know I can do this I would like to gift a $10 or under game to you. I know it's not a great amount but I want to show my appreciation with helping with rules in the layers that I yet to know.
PM me here and let me know what game you would like.

Show

Thanks for the offer Devil but I'm just here coz I enjoy it. Get yourself some beers instead. XD
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Get yourself some beers instead.

And I fully expect this  to be endorsed by Puzzledmint and the other Guru's you mentioned as

"An Official Ruling"

for this thread, go and have a beer wuster and thanks for organising a thread which all the community has really benefitted from.