Magic 2014 Card Interaction: "Is it supposed to work this way?"

970 posts / 0 new
Last post
First off, I'm sorry for the delay in creating this thread. I know a lot of you have been asking for it.

The purpose of this thread: You are a Magic 2014 player! You've been playing Magic 2014 and some cards acted in a way you didn't expect. You're not sure if this is a bug or just a simple misunderstanding of Magic's card/game rules.

If you're a Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 player, see this thread instead

Here's how this works:

• Post the scenario you've witnessed here with as much detail as possible. Your friendly local card experts will try to determine what's going on. Try to include as many cards as possible that are on the Battlefield and Graveyard for both you and your opponent. Especially take note of any Enchantments that are on the board.

• If it turns out that the interaction you witnessed is a potential game bug, you'll be referred to THIS thread in order to report it. Please note which platform you play on.

• If it turns out that the interaction you witnessed is a normal part of the game, you gain: KNOWLEDGE! Everyone wins!

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:

-Yes, killing or bouncing a fiend hunter before his ability removes the other card from the table results in it being permanently exiled
-Yes, Ovinize is SUPPOSED to remove hexproof/first strike/whatever from the other creatures your target grants it to, but...
-No, Ovinize isn't working properly. 
-No, Ovinize is NOT supposed to remove +x/+y effects, or counters...that part IS working correctly
-Yes, you should be allowed to pick new targets for Reverberate and Twincast but....
-No, Twincast and Reverberate aren't working correctly.
-The Protean Hydra didn't die because it was being buffed by a +x/+y effect, meaning it's toughness will never drop below y when removing counters, or you had deathtouch, which only does 1 damage.
- Mirror Entity is buggy, and doesn't always grant all the effects it should (mainly, the demon achievement and sometimes buffs from slivers to nonslivers)
-Your creature with protection died because protection only protects against DEBT (Damage, Enchant/Equip, Blocking, Targeting). That's why your creature died to that sacrifice effect/sweeper effect/reduction of toughness (i.e. -x/-y, where y >= power of your creature)
-If a card does not say "target >>permanent<<", then the card does not target. Conversely, if it does say that, it does target. That's why Evangelize didn't grab that hexproof creature and why Fleshbag Marauder made you sacrifice that hexproof.
-The "Fight" mechanic is not combat damage ( Seraph of the Sword ).
-Life loss is not damage, only when the word "damage" appears it's damage. ( Worship , Pariah , Elderscale Wurm and other similar effects).

-After casting Stolen Goods you must highlight and open the opponents exile zone then highlight the card you want to play with (ps3) the left stick. You must then toggle to the ability with the left stick until you have the option to cast without paying mana cost, select and confirm.

Special thanks to:

puzzledmint
dyAmPnz
Commander_Jim
slodice
muwanno
Draconarious
LadenSwallow
zamm

For clarifications on rulings.

And here is a good read for new players concerning control decks graciously supplied by God of Athism.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Awesome! Thanks for making the thread

So I played Flames of the Firebrand and used Reverberate on it. My opponent had 2 illusion creatures (die when targeted by spell) in play. So the copy resolved first and I targeted both creatures for 1 damage and my opponent for 1. Afterwards when the original Flames of the Firebrand resolved, the game would let me target my opponent only once. After the first point of damage was assigned to him, he was greyed out in the player selection window. If I click back and choose creatures, back again and choose players once again, he's not greyed out, but when I click him it becomes greyed out again and doesn't work.

Another problem with this scenario was that the two illusions didn't die after they were targeted by the copy that resolved first. Since I didn't want to target myself or my creatures, I targeted the two creatures again with the original spell and they died afterwards, after the spell resolved and the damage was done (not 100% sure about the last sentence though).
Yes, Reverberate and Twincast appear to be broken with regards to choosing new targets.
I already posted this in the bug list, but I'm not sure how this card interaction would work anyway, so I want to post it here too. I had Kiln Fiend on my side, and my opponent had Illusioary Servant. I cast Chandra's Outrage in my first main phase targeting the Illusionary Servant. Then my opponent cast Twincast on Chandra's Outrage, targeting Kiln Fiend. His illusion went to the graveyard, he took 2 damage, and then Kiln Fiend became a 4/2. I attacked in, and then the game froze when it said that my opponent was watching damage effects. I invited my opponent to a private chat, and conceded the duel, since it was just frozen, and my opponent said that Kiln Fiend was attacking him as a 7/2.

This is obviously a bug, but I'm not sure how it would actually work. My Chandra's Outrage was going to fizzle since his Illusionary Servant was going to be sacrificed as soon as I targeted it, but would the Twincast Chandra's Outrage fizzle too? Or should he have been able to target Kiln Fiend, and make me take 2 damage?
Your opponent has plenty of opportunity to Twincast your Chandra's Outrage. It won't fizzle until it tries to resolve, and is a legal target for Twincast up until that point.

If you really ended up in a situation where you saw a 4/2 Kiln Fiend and your opponent saw a 7/2, then Twincast and Reverberate may be even more broken than originally though.
I already posted this in the bug list, but I'm not sure how this card interaction would work anyway, so I want to post it here too. I had Kiln Fiend on my side, and my opponent had Illusioary Servant. I cast Chandra's Outrage in my first main phase targeting the Illusionary Servant. Then my opponent cast Twincast on Chandra's Outrage, targeting Kiln Fiend. His illusion went to the graveyard, he took 2 damage, and then Kiln Fiend became a 4/2. I attacked in, and then the game froze when it said that my opponent was watching damage effects. I invited my opponent to a private chat, and conceded the duel, since it was just frozen, and my opponent said that Kiln Fiend was attacking him as a 7/2.

This is obviously a bug, but I'm not sure how it would actually work. My Chandra's Outrage was going to fizzle since his Illusionary Servant was going to be sacrificed as soon as I targeted it, but would the Twincast Chandra's Outrage fizzle too? Or should he have been able to target Kiln Fiend, and make me take 2 damage?

This sacrifice of illusionary servant is placed above the outrage on the stack (with outrage still on the stack) and can be responded to. It is perfectly reasonable to reverberate/twincast the outrage onto kiln fiend (in paper at least).
Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy... --- http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29193605/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List --- Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.
I've got 3 scenarios I need some help with.

1)
I've got a Crumbling Colossus on my side. My opponent trigger his Void Stalker's ability. In response I play a Stave Off on my Collosus, protecting him from blue. It works wonders, my collosus stays on the table, but so does my opponents Void Stalker. I would think it should have gone back in his library;
Put Void Stalker and target creature on top of their owners' libraries, then those players shuffle their libraries.

2)
I've got an Aegis Angel on the table with Indestructibility on it.
I block with it, and my opponent plays Turn to Frog. My Aegis gets turned, and dies from the damage. The Indestructibility was still attached, so why was it killed?

3)
I'm playing Rise from the Grave to get my on my opponents graveyard. I dig up his Archaeomancer, which let's me get an instant or sorcery from my own graveyard. The plan was to get my Murder back, but lo and behold, there's my Rise from Grave. I get it back, and for the next 2 rounds i get myself another 2 Archaeomancer zombies (chump blockers).
Howcome I can get the Rise from grave back from my own graveyard before it's even resolved?
1. Void Stalker's ability requires exactly one target. If that target becomes illegal, the ability is countered on resolution and none of its effects occur.

2. This is the result of the new M14 rule changes. Indestructible is now a keyword ability, which Indestructibility grants to the enchanted permanent. Turn to Frog temporarily removes the granted keyword ability, leaving Aegis Angel destructible.

3. Archaeomancer has a triggered ability that goes on the stack when it enters the battlefield and waits to resolve. It cannot resolve until your Rise from the Grave has finished resolving, by which point Rise from the Grave is already in your graveyard. If it's still shown hovering over the field, then this is a display error, but the cards themselves are working properly.
I've got 3 scenarios I need some help with.

1)
I've got a Crumbling Colossus on my side. My opponent trigger his Void Stalker's ability. In response I play a Stave Off on my Collosus, protecting him from blue. It works wonders, my collosus stays on the table, but so does my opponents Void Stalker. I would think it should have gone back in his library;
Put Void Stalker and target creature on top of their owners' libraries, then those players shuffle their libraries.

2)
I've got an Aegis Angel on the table with Indestructibility on it.
I block with it, and my opponent plays Turn to Frog. My Aegis gets turned, and dies from the damage. The Indestructibility was still attached, so why was it killed?

3)
I'm playing Rise from the Grave to get my on my opponents graveyard. I dig up his Archaeomancer, which let's me get an instant or sorcery from my own graveyard. The plan was to get my Murder back, but lo and behold, there's my Rise from Grave. I get it back, and for the next 2 rounds i get myself another 2 Archaeomancer zombies (chump blockers).
Howcome I can get the Rise from grave back from my own graveyard before it's even resolved?

1) The only 'TARGET' of the ability is the colossus, which has become an illegal target due to protection and the ability is countered.

2) Indestructibility will grant the keyword ability 'indestructible' which can now be lost. This is a change in Magic 2014 compared with previous versions, in light of the fact that the rules of paper (will be) changing.

3) Archaeomancer enters the battlefield (and triggers) as Rise from the Grave is resolving, the last part of resolving Rise from the Grave is putting it into the graveyard, then SBA are checked, then triggered abilities are added to the stack and targets selected. Rise from the Grave is in the graveyard by the time the triggered ability requires a target.
Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy... --- http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29193605/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List --- Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.
3. Archaeomancer has a triggered ability that goes on the stack when it enters the battlefield and waits to resolve. It cannot resolve until your Rise from the Grave has finished resolving, by which point Rise from the Grave is already in your graveyard. If it's still shown hovering over the field, then this is a display error, but the cards themselves are working properly.

Thanks (again), and yes Rise from Grave was still hovering on the field, when I could choose it in my graveyard. It was then sent to my graveyard, and back to my hand
I had a situation where my Sliver creature died from Last Grasp which he casted during his turn, even though I had Lifeline out and plenty of creatures on board, it didn't come back and stayed at the graveyard. Why is this? Is it because he casted it during his turn?
As long as the Sliver that died was a card and not a token, and you control another creature, the Sliver should return to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step, regardless of when it died.

Sounds like it might be a bug.
It wasn't a token, it was the Predatory Sliver creature that left me alone, left me to die. Sad stuff, terrible bug ;_;
It wasn't a token, it was the Predatory Sliver creature that left me alone, left me to die. Sad stuff, terrible bug ;_;

Lifeline doesn't return the card to the battlefield until the beginning of the next end step.

If the sliver was killed before combat and then he attacked it would have come back later, but you died.
If the sliver was killed DURRING an end step it will come back at the beginning of the NEXT turn's end step.

How quickly after the sliver died did you die? That turn or the next turn, or some point after that?

Lifeline doesn't return the card to the battlefield until the beginning of the next end step.

If the sliver was killed before combat and then he attacked it would have come back later, but you died.
If the sliver was killed DURRING an end step it will come back at the beginning of the NEXT turn's end step.

How quickly after the sliver died did you die? That turn or the next turn, or some point after that?

I died in the same turn the Sliver died, as my opponent had 2 creatures, he removed my only blocker via the Last Grasp, however I thought it would of came back during the same turn as I had about 4 tapped creatures.
It would have come back during the End Step of that same turn, if you were still alive.
I see, thanks.
How fire Servant + Hostility works?

Because i use Chandra's Outrage with fire servant and hostility on board and only get two tokens.
Like Hostility trigger first and fire servant trigger after!

How multiple passive (creatures, enchantament, etc) trigger works on DotP? 
What go first?

This is the same way they work in Real Cards Magic?
I can't guarantee that it works in DotP the same way that it does in paper Magic (in fact, I can almost guarantee that it doesn't).

In paper Magic, when two or more replacement effects are trying to modify the same event, the affected player or the controller of the affected object chooses which order they're applied in.

In the case of Fire Servant and Hostility, the player being damaged chooses which replacement effect to apply first. They will most likely choose to have Hostility's effect apply first, after which Chandra's Outrage is no longer doing damage and Fire Servant no longer has anything to double.
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this:

Veiled Sentry cannot be destroyed while it is an Enchantment.

As soon as you cast a spell which targets to destroy it, it stops being an Enchantment and becomes a Creature and the spell fizzles.  This is Working As Intended!

How fire Servant + Hostility works?

Because i use Chandra's Outrage with fire servant and hostility on board and only get two tokens.
Like Hostility trigger first and fire servant trigger after!

How multiple passive (creatures, enchantament, etc) trigger works on DotP? 
What go first?

This is the same way they work in Real Cards Magic?

I'm really getting tired of them including these two cards in the same deck.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

As soon as you cast a spell which targets to destroy it, it stops being an Enchantment and becomes a Creature and the spell fizzles. This is Working As Intended!

To be clear, you can destroy it with a card like Vindicate, but a card like Demystify fizzles for having an illegal target.

As soon as you cast a spell which targets to destroy it, it stops being an Enchantment and becomes a Creature and the spell fizzles. This is Working As Intended!

To be clear, you can destroy it with a card like Vindicate

That actually seems counter-intuitive, because it seems like it should stop being the permanent "Veiled Sentry - Enchantment" and become a different permanent "Veiled Sentry - Creature" as soon as Vindicate is cast.

That's more confusing than it should be and I don't like it.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" class="mceContentBody " contenteditable="true" />
It is the same permanent even though it looks different. Just like if you Giant Growth a creature, it is the same permanent. The reason Demystify fizzles is that Veiled Sentry no longer meets its targeting criteria.

An example that you might find more intuitive is that you can destroy Veiled Sentry with Mortify.
My confusion was that I thought the intent of the card was that it stopped being one permanent and became another, which some more recent cards actually do.  I know how Giant Growth works, I've been playing the game 20 years. 
My confusion was that I thought the intent of the card was that it stopped being one permanent and became another, which some more recent cards actually do.

Can you provide some examples? I've never heard of anything that does this.

Even Double-Faced Cards remain the same object when they transform.
My confusion was that I thought the intent of the card was that it stopped being one permanent and became another, which some more recent cards actually do. I know how Giant Growth works, I've been playing the game 20 years.

There are cards that create tokens like Centaur's Herald, but there are not any cards that become new permanents while staying on the battlefield.
My confusion was that I thought the intent of the card was that it stopped being one permanent and became another, which some more recent cards actually do.

Can you provide some examples? I've never heard of anything that does this.

Even Double-Faced Cards remain the same object when they transform.

Maybe she's talking about something like Elbrus, the Binding Blade.
Artifact on one side and creature on the other.
Two different types of permanents.

Show

Exactly, I was thinking of cards that say "if X happens, sacrifice this and put a token into play that is Y".
No expert, but I feel like I've seen things like that around (not in Duels, I don't think). Something like "If blah blah, put a token into play that is a copy of this card."  There's an idea for another "OP" illusion for ya, Wizards. Any time the illusion gets targeted, sacrifice it and put an exact replica into play. That'll drive people bonkers.
I was in a 1v1 playing mind maze against another mind maze. The other one had a Lord of the unreal,
5/5 veiled sentry and jaces phantasm. I used ovinize on his lord of the unreal (target creature becomes 0/1 and loses all abilities) then i tried to use frost breath on his 5/5 and 2/2 since i assumed lose all abilities would make them un hexproof until end of turn. I could be wrong though   

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg)

I was in a 1v1 playing mind maze against another mind maze. The other one had a Lord of the unreal,
5/5 veiled sentry and jaces phantasm. I used ovinize on his lord of the unreal (target creature becomes 0/1 and loses all abilities) then i tried to use frost breath on his 5/5 and 2/2 since i assumed lose all abilities would make them un hexproof until end of turn. I could be wrong though   

Ovinize will now be moved to confirmed.

Show

Is it just me, or is it that the Attacking side doesn't get to pause the game anymore once Blockers are declared by the opponent?
Is it just me, or is it that the Attacking side doesn't get to pause the game anymore once Blockers are declared by the opponent?

Make sure you have hold priorty on in Advance Menu if you're missing that. If not, mash buttons.

Show

Make sure you have hold priorty on in Advance Menu if you're missing that. If not, mash buttons.

I think hold priority only affects your main phase, you just have to hit the hourglass button to stop the timer.
I played Stave off on one of my creatures giving it protection from white. Then I played Day of Judgment and it died like all the creatures on the field.

Bug or feature? if feature an explanation why would be awesome
I played Stave off on one of my creatures giving it protection from white. Then I played Day of Judgment and it died like all the creatures on the field.

Bug or feature? if feature an explanation why would be awesome

A permanent with protection can't be targeted by spells with the stated quality and can't be targeted by abilities from a source with the stated quality.
Any damage that would be dealt by sources that have the stated quality to a permanent that has protection is prevented.

Since Day of Judgment doesn't require a target AND it doesn't do actual damage to creatures, yes, this was supposed to happen.
Ah okay, protection works only against targetet spells/abilities. Thanks.

~knowing is half the battle
Ah okay, protection works only against targetet spells/abilities. Thanks.

~knowing is half the battle

And non targetted damage. And battle damage.

Also, protected creatures can't be blocked by what they're protected from. So a creature with protection from white can't be blocked by white creatures.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Also protection can make equipment and enchantments fall off.