Player Turn Optimization via Custom Chart.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The amount of time a player spends on their turn can really impact a game. Making the right decision is important but at our games we noticed a lot of time was being wasted just shuffling though 7 to 9 pages of "character" power cards.

Solution, we created a quick chart with all the calculations already included. Now, not every situation can be pre-calculated into an attack but for the most part, if the player isn't doing anything crazy that round, the charts really speeds up gameplay.

Created in Microsoft Word, the chart is a simple table that includes all the powers the character knows.

Here is my chart for my level 15 rouge (with two levels of fighter).
[note: I am aware there are some typos]

As you can see I also added a column for when the rouge has combat advantage; not normally needed for other classes but is nice for the rouge since more is going on when it is granted.

I highly suggest creating a chart like this as it really speeds up the turns by having all the powers on a single piece of paper and not spread out over 7+ pages worth of power cards.

Now when I print my character I just print the first 3 pages, then this chart. Done and only 4 sheets of paper, cutting out half the paper bloat.

~Stone
A noble effort that I'm sure helped in your case.

Though the "7 pages of power cards" seems like a problem with an easier solution.

We always cut out the individual cards and then we group them based on what they do.
It makes picking the power for the situation much quicker.
Once you make your mental constructs of what they have in common (support, auras, extra damage, movement, etc) then you can quickly sift through even several power cards.
Nice sheet, that looks very useful!  It condenses all the important info on one piece of paper, and I'm a big believer in saving tabletop real estate.    That works somewhat better than me separating my power cards into little lines where I can flip the cards over when I've used them up.  But not to belittle your work, but here's my own take on sheets like this.

When I first started 4e I created a "cheat sheet" similar to this for my character to help me quickly pick the optimal moves to make.  I only used it for one session.  Why?

First of all, I learned my character's powers better.  Second, I learned the rules of the game better. 

Finally, after seeing other players take forever to take their turns, waiting (im)patiently, and seeing the results, I came to the realization that trying to make the optimal move each turn just isn't worth it.  If you are indecisive, just do what's fun (other players: "JUST ATTACK IT!") and let the chips fall where they may.  Believe it or not, the vast majority of the time it doesn't matter whether you could have squeezed out 5 more damage, or you were one square over to the left, or you healed for an extra 10 on someone.  It all comes out in the wash and it's more important to just do something cool, interesting and fun than it is to optimize your turn, especially if optimizing your turn requires that you take several minutes sifting through power cards.  Also, if/when you realize after the fact that you could have done something slightly differently for better effect, the fact that you actually had it happen in the game will help you to remember to do it a little better next time, without having to resort to strategy guides.

But this sheet you created is really good for putting all the important info in one place.  I just wanted to give my opinion about trying to pick the best move all the time ... don't bother, just do something fun.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Thanks for the responces and feedback, it's much appreciated and I agree completely with the points that are brought up.

The chart not only serves the purpose of a repository and summery of powers but also adds in feats, combat advantage, equipment attack and damage bonuses which are sometimes forgotten; especialy with new players.

Examples: Light Blade Expertise adds 2 damage if you have combat advantage over the target but is sometimes forgotten. Several times I've personally forgotten I had the Ring of Giants.

Rolling dice and counting up damage is definetly part of the fun for someones turn. Slightly simpflying the process and making sure all their feats, equipment, ext.. are counted just streamlines everything, and as a bonus saves a pinch of time.

[Just as a note: We play in a larger group of 7 to 8 players (including DM) and some of us have been playing since the early 90s. We play 9hrs a month and try to get in three large battles durring that time while still leaving room for RPing and having a little fun. By large battles I mean 6 to 12 rounds, sometimes more.]
By large battles I mean 6 to 12 rounds, sometimes more.]

Woah! That's.... wow.

By large battles I mean 6 to 12 rounds, sometimes more.]

Woah! That's.... wow.

Our longest battle to date was around 7hrs long at about 17 rounds. We felt like heros that night. haha. Anything less then 4 rounds is just a skirmish, 5 or more we start breaking out the dailies.

For the longest time the DM stopped using minions and only brought a few back durring the last game.

It's just the way we roll. heh
Sign In to post comments