Things 2014 Got Right - No Spin Zone! Stainless hugbox! THINK POSITIVE!

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
For all the things Stainless did wrong this time (and we all know there are at least a few things really wrong), overall I'm happy with 2014 and let's talk about the things that are awesome.

- More than 4 card arts for each land type.  HECK YES!  The new lands are not only beautiful, but different for every deck.  Awesome!

- Animated cards.  The animations are simple enough that I highly doubt it took away from any gameplay development (they're basically just simple Flash animations after all) but they are really neat, and I wish all Rares had them!

- Spell effects.  WHOAH, WHEN I RETURNED MAGMA PHOENIX TO MY HAND A BLAZING PHOENIX APPEARED ON THE BATTLEFIELD!  The spell effects are a lot cooler this time than before.

- Manual land adjustment.  Yay!  Also, mana screw seems less prevalent (especially since I'm taking down the number of lands in my decks manually).

- Ability to respond before combat damage is dealt. 

- Spell effects.  WHOAH, WHEN I RETURNED MAGMA PHOENIX TO MY HAND A BLAZING PHOENIX APPEARED ON THE BATTLEFIELD!  The spell effects are a lot cooler this time than before.

- Manual land adjustment.  Yay!  Also, mana screw seems less prevalent (especially since I'm taking down the number of lands in my decks manually).

Indeed I love the squawk of the phoenix.

I have played 50+ games of the trial version on my kindle and have yet to encounter a 1 land hand or a 5+ land hand although there is no option to mulligan so I wonder if good hands are fixed for the trial.

Great thread 

Besides all the things mentioned I would like to say that sealed is awesome, I've only opened one pool and I already feel like I've gotten much more out of it than archenemy or Planechase. 

P.S. Gravetitan has the best animated art 

Indeed I love the squawk of the phoenix.

I have played 50+ games of the trial version on my kindle and have yet to encounter a 1 land hand or a 5+ land hand although there is no option to mulligan so I wonder if good hands are fixed for the trial.

It has been like that in past demo versions, so I think that's the case. There's definately 0 and all land hands in the main game.

I believe the demo crafts your opening hand in certain ways. I read reports that in the demo for Magic 2013, you never have zero or seven lands in your opening hand, and you never have certain cards in your opening hand.

I believe the demo crafts your opening hand in certain ways. I read reports that in the demo for Magic 2013, you never have zero or seven lands in your opening hand, and you never have certain cards in your opening hand.

Yeah, so far I've played about 20 games on the full game and I've gotten plenty of bad hands, even a couple of 0-landers. I've had to mulligan to five at least twice so far.

Overall, I think this is definitely the best DotP game despite its shortcomings. I like how the new campaign works. And in some of the normal duels (everything except encounters), the computer seems to get screwed much more often than in 2013 (no mana or crap cards). On everything except Mage in 2013 the AI most often than not always gets what it needs in the first few turns. The encounters are also proving to be much more challenging than the real duels, but maybe I just got lucky when I beat the deck unlock games in like 5 turns. 
So far I'm liking pretty much everything. The only two faults I have so far are:

1. The AI makes some REALLLLLLY odd choices, even on PW difficulty. In one of the earlier encounters (Kor Duelist and Kitesail Apprentice with equipment), the computer had just his Kitesail out with like 3 pieces of equipment, and every mainphase 2, he'd pay mana to reattach the equipment to the same creature. I'm assuming it's just because of the encounter normally telling it to switch equipment to other creatures at EoT or something, but that's just the one example that really stands out right now. Besides that, I remember Liliana making some extremely odd choices as well regarding blocking and trample.

2. Those damned yellow flakes flying everywhere are driving me NUTS.  
Those flakes are ashes my man. If you notice on the man screen they fly around Chandra and her fire. It's a nice touch and one Infinity Blade pioneered on the iPad that all the developers wanted to start incorporating into their own games. Adds a nice effect.
More consistency. We have playsets of cards in most decks now compared to past versions.

Being able to dip below 60 cards in the deck manager.

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Don't forget Random -- although it needs a little work.
- The 'Attack with all' option is awesome.

- Random for AI is cool.

- Dip below 60 cards in the deck manager is very nice (thanks for pointing that out RPJesus).

- Better menu system (simple top-down menu, no big animated background).

- Going in the deck manager is much faster.

- No more "TCHHHH!" sound when selecting options in the main menu. Annoyed people by this sound understand me.
I have to give them this one. 

Here's why they're not called "avatars" in this game.

Look at your Player Stats screen (in Steam, anyhow.)

Titles
Achievements
Persona

Read the capital letters. Shake your head and grin. You're welcome. 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I have to give them this one. 

Here's why they're not called "avatars" in this game.

Look at your Player Stats screen (in Steam, anyhow.)

Titles
Achievements
Persona

Read the capital letters. Shake your head and grin. You're welcome. 

Very astute! Or...APT. I know...I should bow in shame.

So you don't want a PAT on the head?

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

So you don't want a PAT on the head?

Just came back from a PTA meeting in order to read this.

Just came back from a PTA meeting in order to read this.

Regarding ATP camouflage?

Attack all/withdraw all... thank you!

Exile zone that you can browse... thank you!!

Option to confirm ALL "may" abilities... thank you!!!

Only thing that will get me more excited this time, is the game getting patched to fix wrong card interactions/bugs some time down the line. Like, in a month or so, when the majority of flaws will have been discovered.

Pwetty pweeaaaase.
Lots of things related to interface / polish are much better than 2013 (at least on the PC, where the small fonts aren't an issue and actually look good in my opinion - I'm not saying it shouldn't be fixed for consoles though).  Music, graphics, new card mechanics, overall playability are greatly improved.  

The single player campaign story is pretty bad, and incredibly easy (Ramaz...WTF?  Why do you even need help beating him Chandra?  He's as threatening as the Suntail Hawk encounter.  I mean, I know your deck is really bad Chandra, but you still probably could have soloed that one.  For all of your attitude and terrible voice acting, you need some confidence, girl!).  But one thing they did very well, which I really like, is capturing the flavor of each plane, by desigining counters and end decks that seem to fit each one nicely.  And the encounters themselves are much better than in 2013.

Sealed is kind of meh but way better than Planechase, so that's something.  I probably won't play it much more, but I'm glad they included it and it will hopefully lay the groundwork for a better implemented version for 2015.  

Manual land adjustment is fantastic. 
-Gameplay is so much faster than 2013. Love how the game flows now, in terms of the turn counter and stuff

-Graphics and art are great and I love that a couple of the cards have a motion effect in the art.

-Runs way better on my computer

-Love the single player campaign. Love the flavor and the little bits of text. Just really fun overall

-love the random selection for custom games against the A.I.

-A lot of the decks seem challenging to build well, and a few seem straightfoward. I like this mix. I like a bunch of hard decks to really dig into and think about, but I also like having a couple easy decks to give my mind a break and feel like I'm making simple, easy progress.

-Haven't played a ton yet, but seems like they've pulled a lot of the cheesey, insta-kill/unfun cards from this version of Duels. Really into it. Too early to say things are more balanced, but I love that things like Branchwood armor, hexproof-unblockables with +7+7 and lifelink are all gone (or at least way harder to create.)
I like the new music (specially the Liliana one with the zombie groans on the background). Love the animations on cards too.
Animations are very nice. I was impressed and my kids freaked when I zoomed in on Hellkite Overlord last night.
Attack All and a smoother attack choice is very nice

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I really liked the encounters this time! None of that 'play Suntail Hawk forever' stuff. All of them felt like they could easily be actual decks with a solid strategy and fun use of mechanics. I particularly liked the 'Escape the Roil' and 'Simic Clone' ones.

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

The overall interface responds more smoothely across the board.

Land management across the board

Attack all button

More worthwhile third mode of play (sealed, wouldn't say they "got it right" but it's better than planechase)

Bugs, the game seems to have less bugs in general.

Extra response time during combat

Music

Card animations

Addresses "May" options

Cons that I'd like to mentioned:

'Pay-to-win' Promo card unlocks

No disable of AI takeover

Aggro will dominate, esp w/o promos.  Lack of depth in comparision to baseline 2013.

Community that continues to support the concept of "This is a tool to get folks into paper!"  concept.  This will continue to be acceptable as long as as we continue to say it's acceptable. 

Bugs that have been around for years...still around.
Community that continues to support the concept of "This is a tool to get folks into paper!"  concept.  This will continue to be acceptable as long as as we continue to say it's acceptable.

Yeah, it sucks that people call something what they've been told repeatedly it explicitly is. The only way it'll ever be anything else is if they jack the price up to $50-60 and even then I'd bet you a fat wad of cash they'd still never implement the full game experience. Why would they even consider it when a decent Standard deck runs about $300? They only have to convert maybe 2-3% of DotP players to paper in order to earn way more off them than they'd ever earn off them from DotP even at the commercial price range.

Probably the reason we've never gotten an updated Shandalar either; make anything too close to the real game, but cheaper, and people give the finger to the real game, which is where all the profit is for Wizards. I'm sure their board of directors shoot for record profits every year just like any other company (regardless if they need to keep breaking records for everyone involved to be comfortably paid.) 

2014 reminds me of a remade 2009. The power level is just right and the whole feel is that of a brand new game. Its like 2014 is a reintroduction to the series. Heres to hoping 2015 has a full deck building mode.
This game isnt as aggro as 2012. Not by a long shot

Agreed. Haven't plated a ton, so it's hard to 100% commit, but so far a lot of the decks that seemed ultra-fast on paper are actually a little slower, like the townsfolk deck, and other decks that I thought would be slow, like Mul Daya, are actually fairly quick. Overall I think game speed is much more even across the board, and there are less insane decks, like Goblins and Peacekeepers, that had a nightmare pace advantage that was hard to match.

Yeah, it sucks that people call something what they've been told repeatedly it explicitly is. The only way it'll ever be anything else is if they jack the price up to $50-60 and even then I'd bet you a fat wad of cash they'd still never implement the full game experience. Why would they even consider it when a decent Standard deck runs about $300? They only have to convert maybe 2-3% of DotP players to paper in order to earn way more off them than they'd ever earn off them from DotP even at the commercial price range.

Probably the reason we've never gotten an updated Shandalar either; make anything too close to the real game, but cheaper, and people give the finger to the real game, which is where all the profit is for Wizards. I'm sure their board of directors shoot for record profits every year just like any other company (regardless if they need to keep breaking records for everyone involved to be comfortably paid.) 

While you're not wrong I'd like us all to take more ownership of our game.

When I go to play Duels I don't say to my wife "Baby, I'm gonna go play wizards game, it's a great tool to get folks back into paper magic!"  I say "I'm gonna go play my game."

We're THE point of feedback for this game, every time a prominate member says "This is just an advert!" excusing why we don't have a feature that we, as a community, all think would improve the game, upper-echeloen wizard types sply thing fingers together and mutter something in a Mr. Burns voice.

Are you basing that conclusion from fully unlocked and trimmed decks?  I'm genuinely curious as I haven't unlocked more than 3-4 cards per deck so far.
Gonna repost this here since the other thread is getting locked soon:

This is one that they actually got right.  Protean Hydra does not die when blocking/blocked by/fighting deathtouch creatures.

Good job stainless.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

If you don't think Avacyn's Glory is as fast and nasty as Goblins was, I question what you're smoking and wish I had some.
Attack all button.

No cheesy goblin deck.

Encounters seem better balanced, more interesting, and less rote in their actions. Nothing like the zany hydra encounter in 2013.

Sealed is cool. Yeah, people can reset their decks by changing nicks, but I'm here to play, not for glory on the broken leaderboards. If I run in to someone with an improbably good deck, I'll just leave.
I've already run into a guy with (at least) 3 Vampire Nighthawk, 3 Murder, two Archangel of Thune, two Diabolic Tutor, and I don't know what else because I got roflstomped.

Too bad (online) PSN usernames have to be unique or I'd have written his down.  ;)
DroneOn, AG is fast, but it doesn't have the card draw/looting GG had that made it so cheesy. It was a quick agro deck that also didn't run out of gas.
DroneOn, AG is fast, but it doesn't have the card draw/looting GG had that made it so cheesy. It was a quick agro deck that also didn't run out of gas.

This. Also, AG doesn't have any haste creatures, nor anything that gives mass-haste, making it a bit slower that GG in that sense as well. Also no goblin grenades, which, while a small part of the deck, gave a huge burn advantage to an already fast deck, imho.

Also, to keep the <3 in this thread going, love the overall price of the game. $10 is so cheap for all the gameplay we get. Also love that when we pre-ordered, you get a deck fully unlocked for free. Pretty cool!
What they did good:

- the campaign (but AG is a pain one Planeswalker with only 3 unlocks - O-Ring, O-Ring, Champion pp.)
- sound
- little animations
- everything seems to run faster
- all-attack-button
- cinematic sequences
- the screen after a battle
- manual land adjustment

What they did bad:
- Multiplayer Netcode
- where is the "public"/"private" button, so that you can see if you are about to be slaughter by 3 people at the same time
- Chandra/ Black-Blue deck
-> not all decks on the same powerlevel
-> 8/10 aggro-decks
- challenges
- graphic options jump back to the standard options every time I restart the game
- no planechase/archenemy/vanguard/commander/edh
-> dont really like sealed
- some decks seem to have been built with the promo codes in mind, which is bad design

Overall worth the 10 bucks but I really hope the XP/DLC-decks arent tribal/aggro and I hope that add another game mode (which can be played in FFA) in 2015.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

- some decks seem to have been built with the promo codes in mind, which is bad design

I actually disagree with this point.  With some decks being weaker right now, but getting stronger as the game goes on, we could see fluxuations in which decks are played more often in online play.  This should lead to more varied play throughout the longevity of the game.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I have noticed that 0, 1 land and 5 land hands are the most common.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

As a first time player of this particular method of playing MTG I find it a bit lacking all around.  But there are some things that I've found enjoyable.

- I like the campaign, but I'm a sucker for most campaign, even fi they are bad.  But I do like that it tells a story, I was expecting a bit more like the old Mortal Combat games where you just faced opponents in a set order and they got harder.

- I like the art work.  (Not the player board, but the rest is nice.) 

- I like the idea behind the sealed play, haven't started yet, but my full support will be based on whether I get good enough cards to be competitive.  I won't care as much if I do, if I don't, I think it's a bad system.  I should have been that you craft a sealed deck each match, and don't get to add to edit it or keep it after, like real sealed play would be.  They just gave us another way to give them money in the end, with people having to buy slots, and giving a pretty bad chance at getting a good deck.  Seems like people are either getting great decks that are borderline OP, or **** decks that are trash. 

Things that I don't like:

- Completely pay to win.  For sealed this is pretty obvious, the more slots you open the better chances of eventually getting a good deck (in a legitimate way)  For preconstructed it will get better as time goes on.  But the people with the money to unlock them all in full right away have a HUGE edge on everyone else until we get time to catch up.  And the catch up is ridiculously tedious and grindy, something that has no place in a TCG game.  The promo cards won't be too bad as it will likely be one code for each card and a list will be made as seems to have been standard.  So all you have to do is invest the time to put the card codes in.  (If this isn't the case any they don't allow anyone to put it all the codes then it's trash as well.)

- I don't like this AI takeover business.  Especially since there is a leaderboard, but no ranked play, it completely defeats the purpose of playing other people.

- No ranked mode.  Which is usually implemented any time there is a leaderboard, because it separates the people wanting to play casual games and people wanting to play a bit more of a serious match.  It also allows for correct MM to be implemented, something that is probably completely absent in this game.

- For all the talk on these boards of software never being truly random, this is actually completely false.  Devs are just too lazy to implement the correct way of doing randomness in software.  (A process that is probably really hard to implement in complex games, but not impossible.)  While mana starving, and mana flooding is common place enough in paper magic, it shouldn't be as bad as it is now.  Very consistently I get either a good number of lands, but bad other cards, or I get good starting cards and **** land amounts (either flooded or starved.)  I have yet to get a very good balance.

-  The AI is trash.  Speaking in terms of difficulty.  Seems like they implemented the system I was reading was used in 2013, where difficulty settings actually control the placement of cards in the deck.  This is ABSURD, it shouldn't have anything to do with card placement in a deck, but should have to do with the intelligence of the AI.  An easy AI should make mistakes like a noob player would, with it getting progressively better at the game as the difficulty goes up.  Tried for 2 hours to beat the TUTORIAL on Planeswalker, never once managed to because they ALWAYS had the cards they needed.  They never got bad starting hands, never had bad draw streaks, things that should have happened at least once to allow for a win, didn't happen. 

- Given the things I've read, the general player base (not necessarily talking about my fellow posters as most of you seem to have competitive dignity) there are already lots of people complaining about leavers, and tons of people already trying to figure out how to scum the sealed play by copying people's decks through seed manipulation.  The only long term playability from this game, the only reason to play it long enough to grind out full decks, is to play against other people in a fair controlled way.  Something that doesn't seem like is possible with this game.

All in all it's a fun game for the most part, but I don't see myself taking it much further than the occasional match here and there.  I'll wait for the people at Scrolls to get around to actually balancing the game for my competitive TCG experience.  And the game certainly doesn't make me want to pay even more to play MTGO or to get back into paper.  More like the opposite, where the completely obvious money grabs of the game really turn me off again from this sort of game.  Unbalanced, lack of options, lack of real deck creation based on what YOU want to play are all absent, and the more I look into it the more it feels like a fan diservice money grab game.  The entire draw behind an online TCG is that it is supposed to be a way to play a game with the cards you want without having to fork over hundreds of dollars to build the same deck in paper cards.  There's a reason games like this have died out for the most part.  (MTG is the only one with an even remotely large player base still palying.)
I'm winning games online with decks that only have 5-10 cards unlocked.  Yes, including Dimir (probably the most underrated deck right now by a longshot).

The only ones where you just have almost no chance of winning online until you fully unlock them are Firewave (just terrible in every way) and Dracomancer (very inconsistent, it's the only one I bought an unlock key for because it has many different ways to go and you need all the cards to focus it).

Actually Deadwalkers can be pretty bad until you get about 10 unlocks, but that shouldn't take you very long.

I think this year they did a much better job of having the decks be competitive "right out of the box".

I believe I did over half my unlocking with every deck I've unlocked online, and some I did entirely online.

Sign In to post comments