2014 Challenges are an embarrassment.

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
It is obvious that feedback came in that the 2013 challenges were too difficult for newer players, and that's fine. Including both simpler and more difficult challenge categories is probably a good idea. There is a difference between including more grokkable puzzles, however, and making a large segment of them "attack for damage", "block, then attack for damage", and "attack for damage, play your trick". Game knowledge at that level new players are perfectly capable of picking up through regular game state interactions. If concepts like playing tricks after blocks are something Wizards thinks needs more frontlining for new players, explaining it belongs in an extended tutorial, not taking up 'challenge' space. 

Many people I know gain more pleasure from tricky challenges than from any other part of Duels. I won't personally be buying Duels 2015 until I get confirmation that challenges section is worth playing. 
I still remember the "Jitte" puzzle from 2013 that made no sense because the only way to win was for the AI not to block although it could. I laughed pretty hard when the AI didn't block I was like "ok what just happened"?
Mise, I remember that, but that was a bug. There is a true solution that can't be outplayed in any way. It's also on youtube.

(I didn't figure it out until I realized a tiny detail, a tiny hint about Jitte. As soon as I saw it on the video, it immediately clicked. I imagined if I had played when Jitte was around, I would've quickly gotten that one. It seems like an extremely competitive trick with Jitte, of which there are many.)
I still remember the "Jitte" puzzle from 2013 that made no sense because the only way to win was for the AI not to block although it could. I laughed pretty hard when the AI didn't block I was like "ok what just happened"?

I think you're thinking of a different challenge.  With Jitte, what you did is move the Jitte to each of your three creatures and subsequently add a +1/+1 counter to each creature making them strong enough that it was irrellevant which of your creatures the 1 creature that your opponent had blocked because you only needed 2 of the 3 to get thru for lethal damage.  Regardless, the AI would use it's creatures ability to kill one of your creatures before the+1/+1 counter could be added, which was futile, but so was any other move that the AI could have made.

Having strong challenges would have been nice, but only marginably so.  What I mean by that is, once a challenge is completed, it has no more use in the game.  With the exception of one challenge in 4 itterations of the game, they only have 1 solution.  So, once you figure out the solution, it's pointless to go back and keep beating it.  It's such a miniscule section of the game considering the amount of time an individual will spend playing all other aspects of this game.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I think you're thinking of a different challenge.  With Jitte, what you did is move the Jitte to each of your three creatures and subsequently add a +1/+1 counter to each creature making them strong enough that it was irrellevant which of your creatures the 1 creature that your opponent had blocked because you only needed 2 of the 3 to get thru for lethal damage.  Regardless, the AI would use it's creatures ability to kill one of your creatures before the+1/+1 counter could be added, which was futile, but so was any other move that the AI could have made.

Having strong challenges would have been nice, but only marginably so.  What I mean by that is, once a challenge is completed, it has no more use in the game.  With the exception of one challenge in 4 itterations of the game, they only have 1 solution.  So, once you figure out the solution, it's pointless to go back and keep beating it.  It's such a miniscule section of the game considering the amount of time an individual will spend playing all other aspects of this game.

Meh, you're complaining about the existence of puzzles in general. Hell, Portal is exactly as you describe and yet I still love playing it again and again. The reason is because after a solid amount of time has passed, I forget exactly how the puzzles work, and they become new in a sense. This is actually true for all games, they all have an inherent type of replayability based on nostalgia and "reliving" the parts that you've forgot. I've played Final Fantasy X a good number of times despite it being very similar each time, and had a blast each time as well.

Meh, you're complaining about the existence of puzzles in general.

No I'm not complaining about anything.  I'm simply explaining my thoughts on the matter.  I like challenges.  I did all of them in the 2012 and 2013 version as I will likely do in this new version.  However, once completed, their continued existance was pointless. 

When I moved from the Steam version to the PS3 version, I did them again, simply for the trophy.  There was only 1 that I couldn't remember how to do.  So there was that replayability, but other than that... nothing

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Meh, you're complaining about the existence of puzzles in general. Hell, Portal is exactly as you describe and yet I still love playing it again and again. The reason is because after a solid amount of time has passed, I forget exactly how the puzzles work, and they become new in a sense. This is actually true for all games, they all have an inherent type of replayability based on nostalgia and "reliving" the parts that you've forgot. I've played Final Fantasy X a good number of times despite it being very similar each time, and had a blast each time as well.

I can wait however long I want and I'll always remember exactly how to solve the puzzles on Portal (and DOTP). My memory just works like that.
Well, you live life, and you can't relive it like the first time again I guess :P. Until we get those memory devices from Science Fiction at least.
The puzzles are indeed pretty easy this time. Except the last one, which I'm still missing. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.
The puzzles are indeed pretty easy this time. Except the last one, which I'm still missing. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

The rats on Ravnica? Pretty easy with the human deck.

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

I can understand the basic challenges being easy, as I have met players who were not aware you could do things like cast instants in combat (not making this up). But the advanced puzzels are to easy, It needs another tier or 2 of harder challenges. 

you need to cast 4 of the cards in your hand, one being brainstorm to get the reason Flash is restricted. 

Wait, there is a Flash? Wtf?

Well, the strange thing is that I'm pretty sure what the first few steps are, but I have no idea what to tutor for.

Well, the strange thing is that I'm pretty sure what the first few steps are, but I have no idea what to tutor for.

No no. It's the reason Flash is restricted.
Challenges this year seem like they were made to introduce new players to the rules, which completely misses the point of who and what challenges are imo.
The whole definition of the word challenge is something hard, casting Doom blade on a Cudgel troll or blocking with lifelinkers isn't challeging!
It's a damn shame, they have been lots of fun in years past, but this just seems like a missed oppotunity.

No no. It's the reason Flash is restricted.

I made a video showing the step-by-step solve for the puzzle, in case you (or others) are still stuck.
I made a video showing the step-by-step solve for the puzzle, in case you (or others) are still stuck.

Interesting, I came up with a different solution, both work though. 

Reading the comments on that video that are at least 3 solutions (I came up with a different one to mentioned in the comments):

1) Brainstorm, putting poisonous slivers back on top of the deck.
2) Amulet -> hulk -> dias
3) Fetch the dross (0 mana cost stuff), all 4 poisonous slivers and the 2 CMC all slivers have haste.
4) Use crib swap on one of your dross creatures to get a changeling (which means it is also a sliver)
5) Use the tapping spell to prevent 3 blockers.
6) Attack with everything.
7) Opponent dies to 10 poison counters. 

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.
Yeah, mine was Brainstorm, putting Blightsteel and the tap spell back, cast both the Poison Slivers, Amulet the Hulk and then Dias it for Predator Dragon, feeding it the Slivers, and Crib Swapping the Darksteel Gargoyle out of the way; swing for the win.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

....uh

Is there something I'm missing with the "Go Beserk" challenge on iPad....

i just swing in with everything I can  and win lol. It seems as though the enemy life (set at 1) should be higher. I don't play a single card, except land...?

....uh

Is there something I'm missing with the "Go Beserk" challenge on iPad....

i just swing in with everything I can  and win lol. It seems as though the enemy life (set at 1) should be higher. I don't play a single card, except land...?

Winning it is easy.  The achievement for doing at least 200 damage ... not quite as easy.

Interesting that there's so many solutions to the last challenge! I wonder how many we can find.
Winning it is easy.  The achievement for doing at least 200 damage ... not quite as easy.

Your comment piqued my interest, so I went back and started playing around with ways to do more damage. This is the most I managed to do. Has anyone found a solution that does more? I'd love to know if there's other ways at it!
I feel stupid now, I somehow thought I needed to turn the unblockable into a sliver and buff it up. Simply removing the blocker didn't even cross my mind.
A thought occurs with the near death experience challenge:

If you block different creatures the opponent should be able to NOT trample over (i.e. assigning more than lethal to the blocker.) and leave you at 1hp (and so let you win at your next upkeep, choosing instead to leave you at 2+hp and winning next turn), so that you should be forced to over block the 9/9 trample. 

Robvalue: Copy target bug or glitch. You may choose a new card for the copy...

Will never buy games made by Arena Net again.

Will not buy Duel 2015 until 2HG reinstated.

Grei wrote:

Orc_Welfin wrote:
 I've removed content from this thread. 

Nice to know removing content is a company wide policy.
In the hulk challenge, you can also just hulk into Metherborn Phalanx, cycle into Blades of Velis Vel and swing FTW.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

I have to agree that these challenges were very disappointing and all but the last one was completed in under 5 minutes.

I'm not sure whether that was a design choice to make them easy or whether they couldn't be bothered to weave some decent and intricate challenges like previous iterations.

I hope the expansion brings some hard challenges that are worth my time. 
In the hulk challenge, you can also just hulk into Netherborn Phalanx, cycle into Blades of Velis Vel and swing FTW.

That's how I solved it, too.

Boosh.
wow 10 of the most easiest "challenges" in the history of the franchise the last one had me in stitches as soon as I saw what brainstorm drew I knew how to complete it but decided to mess around a make a bunch o guys, an absolute embarrassment.
Some of the challenges in 2012 and 2013 were delightfully cunning, so it's disappointing that this edition is too easy. For the beginner challenges they could just save themselves time and re-use some of the beginner challenges from 2012, they were decent for beginners. Having a "Challenge Editor" would be really cool; I'm sure the forum could come up with some mind-bending challenges.