For 2014 release fat pack or just boosters (and possibly card guide)?? which is best to get and why?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
as per thread title. i'm hoping to get a few assorted boosters for random card acquisition as it's a new set and more fun to cultivate  new seeds rather than go straight in for specific cards with a plan.
but hmm which is better and why? do good mythics still come out of fat pack boosters? are the additional items worth it in a fat pack? opinions please. 
To help is natural. To stifle help is ungodly. Play Format: Standard // Current Deck: http://www.mtgvault.com/fantasticlees/decks/my-almost-perfect-green-thragl/
I'm not sure if Core sets are different from expansions, but I don't find the Fat Pack additional items worthwhile unless you like collecting Magic paraphernalia. The Card Guide found in a fat pack is something full of info that you can easily get online without paying money for it, and deck boxes are cheap. I'm pretty sure the only unique item from a fat pack is the d20.

The quality of cards in each booster should be consistent with any booster of the set, it's not like good rares are limited to booster boxes.

I say that, if you want random cards, you should find the cheapest way to get boosters and run with it. This probably means buying a booster box, if your budget allows it. 

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Brilliant. Thanks for the answer. I was thinking same other than the booster box. Would have said its a bit too expensive but thinking about the number of packs i am buying over time may not be that unrealisticly expensive For a single purchase.
To help is natural. To stifle help is ungodly. Play Format: Standard // Current Deck: http://www.mtgvault.com/fantasticlees/decks/my-almost-perfect-green-thragl/
I prefer Booster Boxes because you can do all sorts of things with that large an amount of sealed product. Buy a single booster and you're basically stuck with just opening it, but with a full box you can call up some friends and draft. Just be clear on the ownership of the cards, if you're the one shelling out the money for the box =P

Alternatively, you could just crack the 36 packs yourself, which is also fun. 

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Lol, thinking about it may head to my local shop and see if anyone willing to go halves..just if someone does, i'll recommend we each buy an additional booster pack seperately from our joint buy..that way we can pretend if one gets a really good card and other person, yuckdum, we can pretend it was from that additional booster pack ;)
lol though 4 jace mindseekers or whichever difficult to equate with, hehe 
I like the Fat Packs. I'm still of the generation where I like to have material in print, and the Player's Guide is great for just reviewing and learning the cards. The boxes are convenient for storage and fairly sturdy. I usually bring one with lands, one with tokens, etc., each time I go to FNM.

There are nine booster packs in a Fat Pack and I think the chance of a mythic rare is 1 in 6, so the expected outcome is 1.5 mythic rares per Fat Pack.  
I would priorities entering the Pre-release, Launch events, and Drafts ahead of buying packs. If you have money left over after attending all the Limited events, and then I would say to look into getting a box (or sharing one with someone) if you still want more packs. If you are going to buy a box though (or just packs) I would suggest you use the boosters for some form of Limited (Packwars with a friend for example) to add value to your purchase.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sounds like a plan. Still have to go to my 1st real card event. I've built a deck. So basically ive got a few weeks to get myself the dci thing and be happy with real card procedure as opposed to mtgo. really really enjoying building the decks currently

I've actually got a quetion in line with this.

I'm interested in getting a Booster Box but I can't figure out which would be better for me. I'm looking less for overall value and more for card playability. Between Pre-ordering M14, Gatecrash or Dragonsmaze which would give the best result? I suppose throw in opinions on straight value as well. Thanks!
What do you mean by "card playability"? M14 is probably going to be more versatile, in terms of being able to play a lot of the cards relatively easily, for example in booster draft or pack wars. However, depending on your deck design and colors, another expansion set might include more powerful cards.
As a fairly new MTG player I guess what i'm looking for is easy to use/play with cards. Could I make a decent deck out of a certain set or would one be better? When M14 releases. will it be harder to obtain single cards to flesh out what I pull from a booster box, or should I stick with a set that's already out?
M14 will certainly be the easiest to understand. Core sets are designed to be simpler than expansion sets. That said, it's not like expansion sets are THAT much more complicated, and I find them much more interesting and fun. Depends on how noobish you're feeling.

Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash both support five guilds each, with each guild representing one 2-color combination. This means that purchasing a box of either set will likely give you a solid groundwork of the commons and uncommons that comprise each guild's lineup, and you should be able to make decent casual decks out of them. Though eventually you'll want to run full 4-of playsets of your good cards, which will likely require you to purchase singles at some point. 

Dragon's Maze supports all 10 guilds, and is a smaller set than Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash, so each guild's presence is spread thin. This makes it a bad box to buy if you want to build a deck from only the cards found within. It's designed to supplement RTR and GTC, and doesn't stand well on its own.

While the RTR-block sets have tons of multicolored cards, core sets including M14 typically only run mono-colored cards. I think Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker is the only exception ever to this rule. This means that M14 is your best bet if you want to run a single-color deck, or if you just want to keep things simple.  

As a fairly new MTG player I guess what i'm looking for is easy to use/play with cards.

In terms of ease to use, Magic 2014 will probably be the best set. But easy to use often means less powerful.

Could I make a decent deck out of a certain set or would one be better?

A competitive deck, even one that is moderately so, will typically draw from multiple expansion sets. I just checked the deck I played at FNM on Friday, and it has cards from five expansion sets, every one that is currently in standard except Avacyn Restored, as well as dual-colored land from Magic 2013. Buying booster packs is not an effective way to build a deck: A deck reqiures a mutiple copies of few but powerful cards from a number of sets. Booster packs will give you few copies of lots of cards in one set.

When M14 releases. will it be harder to obtain single cards to flesh out what I pull from a booster box, or should I stick with a set that's already out?

I don't understand this part of your question. Hard to obtain in what way? On the secondary market, every card in standard will still be available in plenty of copies. Prices will shift up and down depending on how Magic 2014 changes the metagame.
Huge thanks to both of you and the wealth of info in all responses. I'll stick with Pre-ordering an M14 box and though it'll mean I have to wait, it should be more worth my money.
as regards booster boxes, i would be interested to know how popular they are. Kirabi's question made me wonder why Wizards dont do a combi box of the block set of boosters, 12 of each. As the block components are introduced at different times, i think it explains it-people bulk buy when a set first introduces. however, for someone who enjoys jointly the 'oo, whats in it' aswell as the benefit of a larger but not humungous collection, if i was Wizard's id do a demicombo box of maybe 18 or 12 total booster packs and call it a "late starter demi box" or similar. i know for certain id buy them even as a nonlatestarter but obviously thats assuming per booster pack price isnt equivalent to buying each seperately so price ratio it equivalently between booster box and individual pack...as the introduction of new block components may spark fresh ideas for deck building and blocks are phased out together in standard, it makes sense to me. (answering my own question here but are booster boxes just a for commercial shops thing which individual buyers have latched onto?)
relatively short runtime may be another explanation and manufacturing a new box size, printing design, but fact for each block, box size would be the same, and surely modern manufacturing is computerised so just a case of putting a new jpeg into a box maker i still think its a good idea....if its a box thing ,put it in a plain brown cardboard box and precede the name with 'economy' and as blocks introduced/phased out, boxes wouldnt need to change...........
Some online stores sell Draft boxes, which contain 12 packs from each of the 3 sets in a block. Problem with buying a repacked box however is that you have no way of knowing whether the boxes the packs came from had been mapped or not.

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sign In to post comments