Card of the Week 26: 6/25/13 - 7/1/13

37 posts / 0 new
Last post

Card of the Week

6/25/13 - 7/1/13

Welcome to Card of the Week! This is an on-running contest of sorts where great cards are given the celebration they deserve, the praise for what perhaps went unnoticed.

Last week, Ephemeron continue to work his voodoo magic: 

Voodoo Hex -
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature is a 2/2 black Zombie.
You control enchanted creature.

Previous Winners
1/1/13 - 1/7/13 theAtog

Body Sinker 
Creature - Merfolk Assassin
Islandwalk
If a creature an opponent creature would die, you may have it becomes an island instead. (It's no longer a creature.)
4/1
-----
1/8/13 - 1/14/13 ImidazolineSilly_Dragons

Polarize |
Enchantment
Creatures you control are white and get +1/+1.
Creatures opponents control are black and red.
Born on the same street. Buried in plot miles apart.

Serra's Lament
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, then planeswalk. Instead of returning the current plane to a planar deck, remove it from the game.
Only in memory is her world forever pure.
-----
1/15/13 - 1/21/13 Hairless Thoctar

Cage Fighter

Creature-Ogre Berserker
Creatures your opponents control have ": Fight Cage Fighter" 
6/5
-----
1/22/13 - 1/28/13 Mown

Order of the Pale Road 
Creature - Human Monk
If a permanent would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
The lessons in life shapes you, like bricks in a wall. It is only when complete, that you find it does naught but prevent your return.
2/2
-----
1/29/13 - 2/4/13 zammm; Detektor

Holding Cell - 
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield when a player casts a spell named Holding Cell.
Azorius prisons are notoriously overcrowded.

Judge of Armaments 
Creature - Human Judge
Having a +1/+1 counter put on you is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain it.
1/3
-----
2/5/13 - 2/11/13 Detektor

Irrigated Field
Land - Plains
After your third turn of the game, Irrigated Field is an Island.
For eight thousand years, the Iteru had always flooded its banks just in time for the famers to plant flax. Was the river spirit offering a gesture of constancy in a world torn apart by war? Or was she the one seeking reassurance?
-----
2/12/13 - 2/18/13 turnip_song; Arazlam; SimpleDreams

Ma'ruf the Cobbler

Legendary Creature-Human
You may play lands from outside the game. (They still count towards your land per turn limit.) 
Wish, above all else, for the worlds that lie beyond. Weep, above all else, for the burdens which you bring.
2/1

Æther Strings |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
You may activate enchanted creature's activated abilities.
"What's wrong Tim? Why are you pointing me with th--"
— Last words of Zeon, Director of the Institute of Arcane Study

Stellar Impact
Sorcery R
Arrange all creatures on the battlefield into a circle in any order, then choose one of those creatures at random. Destroy that creature and the two creatures adjacent to it in the circle.
On Ugoya, the word "starstruck" means something completely different.
-----
2/26/13 - 3/4/13 Arazlam

Timithy Spirit |
Creature - Spirit Illusion - (C)
Timithy Spirit can't attack or block unless it has another ability.
2/2
-----
3/5/13 - 3/11/13 Kavu_Overlord

Clockwatcher 
Creature - Human Wizard

Clockwatcher is a 6/6 Avatar with flying during extra turns.

He's the only one to notice that every so often, a clock will tick without moving.

2/1
-----
3/12/13 - 3/18/13 HairlessThoctar; febbstalicious42; Rush_Clasic

Cruel Mercy

Sorcery
Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a card revealed this way. That player discards another card.

Iridescent Anchor -- 
Creature - Spirit Illusion
As long as Iridescent Anchor is not a card, it gets +2/+2 and gains hexproof.
A successful wizard has the power to make his dreams real. A wise wizard fears to.
2/3

Social Studies
Sorcery
Each player who controls a creature with trample draws a card. Repeat this process for deathtouch, defender, flash, haste, hexproof, intimidate, landwalk, reach, and vigilance.
"What measure is the knowledge of a single mind versus that of the whole world?"
- Ro, Wirewood shaman

-----
3/19/13 - 3/25/13 by 3-7-15-1-292

Heroic Stand 
Instant
Target creature you control fights all attacking creatures.
"Yes, he died, but he died surrounded by the corpses of the enemy. For that, we shall always remember him."
-----
3/26/13 - 4/1/13 by Detektor

Scale Sprite 
Creature - Insect Faerie
Flying
Scale Sprite deals damage to creatures in the form of size counters. (Creatures with size counters on them are X/X, where X is the number of size counters on them.)
"What size do you want to be?" it asked.
"Oh, I'm not particular as to size," Alice hastily replied; "only one doesn't like changing so often, you know."

1/1
-----
4/2/13 - 4/8/13 by magicpablo666

Sketch 
Enchantment
Sketch enters the battlefield as a copy of target creature, except that it is not a creature.

"What exactly am I looking at here?" 
- Pola Reiszen, Master Instructiore
-----
4/9/13 - 4/15/13 by ParadOxymoron

Converting Bosk
Land (C)
(p), : Choose one—Add to your mana pool; or you gain 2 life.
-----
4/16/13 - 4/22/13 by HairlessThoctar

Ill Tidings

Enchantment
At the beginning of each end step, if a player has 13 life that player loses the game.
-----
4/23/13 - 4/29/13 by Detektor; Echo_Robin

Kingside Knight 
Creature - Knight
First strike, protection from black
Coin flips and subgames are played in the form of chess.
Sworn to keep the darkness in check.
2/2

Shrieking-Grave Zubera |
Creature - Zubera Spirit
When ~ dies, if 4 or more damage was dealt to it this turn, you may return a creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
3/3
-----
4/30/13 - 5/6/13 by Libe

Spell Shatter

Instant (U)
Counter target spell unless its controller pays two mana of different colors.
-----
5/7/13 - 5/13/13 by Echo_Robin

Fateseeker |
Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Play with the top four cards of your library revealed.
When the total converted mana cost of the top four cards of your library is 21, you win the game.
2/2
-----
5/14/13 - 5/20/13 by Libe and tyranno6

Rubbleridge Excavator

Creature -- Goblin Scout
When Rubbleridge Excavator enters the battlefield, put a treasure counter on target land you control.
: Choose a land you control at random and destroy it. If that land has a treasure counter on it, draw three cards.
2/2

Kindling Elemental —
Creature — Elemental
When you add to your mana pool, sacrifice Kindling Elemental.
Witches make them in the form of great merchants, then turn them to cinders if a deal goes south.
3/3
-----
5/21/13 - 5/27/13 by Echo_Robin

Lionheart |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant 1/1 creature
Enchanted creature has double strike, vigilance, lifelink, and protection from black and from red.
-----
5/28/13 - 6/3/13 by theatog

Relieve From Duty 
Instant
Exile target creature until its owner loses life.
-----
6/4/13 - 6/10/13 by Ephemeron

Yixlid Assimilation -
Instant
Target player sacrifices a creature. If he or she does, return that creature onto the battlefield under your control, then sacrifice it. 
A fate strictly worse than death.
-----
6/11/13 - 6/17/13 by Libe

Athican Doomsayer  
Creature -- Human Cleric (R) 
Omen (Play with the top card of your library revealed.) 
At the beginning of your end step, if the top card of your library is black, destroy all creatures. 
"A great darkness looms over Athica! Repent, and the Creator may show forgiveness to you in the Afterplane!" 
2/3
-----
6/18/13 - 6/24/13 by Ephemeron

Voodoo Hex -
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature is a 2/2 black Zombie.
You control enchanted creature.

Nomination Rules:
Anyone may nominate a card from any thread in YMTC as long as it was posted between 12:00 AM of the starting date and 11:59 PM of the ending date of that week's thread, Pacific Standard Time (that's what I live by, and I'm not fancy enough to use UT1). 
All nominations require the following:

1. The full card posted into this thread.
2. A link to the post/thread where the card originated.
3. The name of the card's creator.

You may nominate up to two cards a week.
You can't nominate your own designs.
All designs nominated will be put into a poll in the next week's thread. The design with the most votes is declared Card of the Week!

Voting Rules:
You may vote for any number of entries. Remember, every vote you cast matters, so try to vote only for the cards you really think deserve to win.
You may vote for yourself.
All cards carrying the most votes when the poll closes are elected as the winner for that week.
All winners and winning cards will be collected in the sblock above.

Nominations from 6/18/13 - 6/24/13
Stonecleft Axe

Artifact -- Armament (R)
Wield (During your declare attackers step, you may choose to wield an armament you control and declare yourself as an attacker. Combat damage dealt to you by blocking creatures is dealt to your life total.)
Your power is 5 and you have trample.

by Libe
-----
Azhal of the Oasis  
Legendary Creature — Djinn
Flying 
The first spell you cast each turn costs to cast.
Paradise's lord, the wielder of awesome, intoxicating power -- for a high price.
3/3

by Glasir
-----
Glass Heron 
Artifact
: Add or to your mana pool.
, Sacrifice Glass Heron: Creatures you control gain flying until end of turn.

by Dream Spinner
-----
Blitz Samurai  
Creature - Elemental Samurai (M)  
Cascade 
Blitz Samuai has bushido X, where X is the cost of the card you cascaded. (When this blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +X/+X until end of turn.) 
Haste, trample. 
All creatures able to block Blitz Samurai do so. 
5/1

by ulyth
-----
Ace Ratlin, the Torrid City
Legendary Land
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: add to your mana pool.
Whenever ~ produces red mana, it deals 1 damage to each creature and player.
"There's no warning sign as effective as the rotten smell of scorched flesh."

by Fenix.
-----
Sonic Boom 
Creature - Incarnation
You may put Sonic Boom onto the battlefield tapped and attacking any time a creature you control with Haste attacks.

"Damn it Ral, you know Isperia only hears what she wants to hear."
"I think I can change that."

2/1

by magicpablo666
-----
Lead the Riots

Sorcery
Untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. Put three 1/1 red Human creature tokens onto the battlefield. Creatures you control get +1/+0 and gain haste until end of turn.

by Riorvard
-----
Goblin Thugs 

Creature - Goblin Warrior (C) 
Intimidate 
Goblin Thugs can't be intimidated. 
2/2

by Dudibus
-----
Blinding Glare

Enchantment

Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature you don't control.

"Ooh, shiny."

by Habreno
-----
Halt 
Instant
Tap target creature with trample.
You shall not pass!

by ColonialDragons
-----
Statistician
Creature - Human Wizard
When Statistician attacks, flip a coin until you lose a flip. For each flip you win, double Statistician's power until end of turn.
"Behold the power of PROBABILITY!"
1/3

by od256
-----
Lich's Mask 
Artifact (MR)
Whenever you lose life, put a charge counter on Lich's Mask for each 1 life lost.
Exile Lich's Mask: Restart the game, leaving Lich's Mask in exile. Your starting life total is X, where X is the number of charge counters on Lich's Mask.

by Dream Spinner

Nominations for this round and votes for the last one due Monday, July 1st. 5 months down, 7 to go.

After this week, I will be cleaning up how the first post looks. The "previous winners" and "previous threads" sections will be removed and saved in the OP of the first COTW, and a link to the thread will remain permanent in the OP of all the weeks to come.
Cool. It takes ages to load on my phone.

Edit: And I voted for Statistician and Sonic Boom.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

I always vote for the ones I nominated, even if I don't think they're better than the other cards. And then I also vote for any others that I think are really good. In this case, Lead the Riots.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Hey my card is at the same score as the two I voted for. At least, for the moment.

Also, I want to nominate a card that was posted yesterday or maybe two days ago but it is in an ungraded contest. That's cool right? I mean waiting until the contest is graded before nomination? It should be graded today or tomorrow. Not my contest, but one with a good track record for prompt gradings.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Depends on who is running the contest.  Detektor, for instance, has asked that no-one nominate cards from Idol until all the judges have weighed in.
From Under the Dirt
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target land. That land's controller puts two 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn creature tokens onto the battlefield. They have "Sacrifice this creature: Add to your mana pool." 
Joel lifted his eyes in one direction, then the next, keen of the roads before him and those now trailing in his wake, never guessing that a long, steady view was the least prepared one.

From the Rarity game.
Hey my card is at the same score as the two I voted for. At least, for the moment.

Also, I want to nominate a card that was posted yesterday or maybe two days ago but it is in an ungraded contest. That's cool right? I mean waiting until the contest is graded before nomination? It should be graded today or tomorrow. Not my contest, but one with a good track record for prompt gradings.

I personally have no qualms about it, but if contest hosts have asked people to refrain until after grading, I'd like those wishes respected. I will, however, allow a nomination for a card that's older than a week for this very reason. In general, I'm not too picky about timing.
Neat!

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I hope that flavor text wins

Kianpraty
Creature - Beast
Kianpraty must block or be blocked if able.
Whenever Kianpraty dies, if it dealt lethal damage to a creature this turn, return it to the battlefield.
Some tribes once have let lore of the bunyip fall into the realm of tall tale, a relic of their superstitious ancestors. Other tribes know better.
3/3

scary door 
Only voted for Sonic Boom this time.
Statistician and Lich's Mask.
sonic boom without the battlefield

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
Spatial Rend |
Sorcery
Exile all creatures. Return one of them at random to the battlefield under your control. 

Finally.

From Pokemon.

139359831 wrote:
Oh, that's good.
Final Penance
Sorcery
Target creature gains lifelink until end of turn, then deals damage to itself equal to its power.
"Absolution? No. You are beyond that. There is but one way to make things right."

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

<3

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

My vote for sure.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Spatial Rend |
Sorcery
Exile all creatures. Return one of them at random to the battlefield under your control. 

Finally.

From Pokemon.

+1 to the mana cost
Multicolour impacts cost.
1st Nomination (from my YMtCotW "contest") :

Starving Bear -
Creature - Bear
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player exiles a creature card from his or her graveyard and gains control of ~.
When there are no creature cards in any graveyard, sacrifice ~ at the beginning of your end step and it deals 3 damage to you.
Playing dead would probably be the last thing you want to do.
3/3

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

so much better than desecration demon

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
I always vote for the ones I nominated, even if I don't think they're better than the other cards. And then I also vote for any others that I think are really good. In this case, Lead the Riots.

does that say anything about the contest that result in nomination? : P lol

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
armament blew my mind.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Saw in Half
Sorcery (U)
Destroy target creature. Put two X/X black Zombie creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is half the destroyed creature's toughness, rounded down.
"Look at it this way: now you have two half sisters."

I ~loved~ this. From Idol R5.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Yeah, that was pretty sweet.
Inside Man

Creature -- Human Rogue (R)
When Inside Man enters the battlefield, target opponent gains control of it.
Rogue creatures Inside's Man owner controls are unblockable as long as they're attacking you.
Remarkably, the curators of the Galliod Museum failed to connect the string of missing artifacts and mysteriously unlocked doors to their newest hire.
2/3

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29204187/You_Make_the_Alphabetical_Card!?post_num=2533#533477691

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

does that say anything about the contest that result in nomination? : P lol

Well, it means either I'm coming up with really bad criterias, or the contest has attracted only the worst card designers in existence. Or a little of both.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

this thread both excites and depresses me.
reminds me of how many brilliant minds are out there and how I'll never be as brilliant as them.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Nominating:
Industrialize |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant land
When enchanted land is tapped for mana, it produces instead of any other type and amount.

From here. 
Needs to be "if" — triggered abilities are too slow to catch mana abilities.  It's similar to my my Idol submission! 
True on both counts! (though I had to go and see your idol submission).
Multicolour impacts cost.

A card with a cost of 5 or 6 with one red symbol is not a difficult splash. It's not exactly Woolly Thoctar you know.
Without getting a free creature back, this is already worth at least 5 mana (I can accept that Final Judgment is overcosted by 1). So how much should you have to pay for the creature? Sure you will occasionally get a random 1-drop that an aggro deck is using but sometimes you can use this as a boros Mind Control and get something really powerful. Phyrexian Rebirth (which only destroys rather than exiles, and only gives you a vanilla token) costs 6 mana. It's a great design, and could be printed by wizards, but if it was, there's no way it'd cost 5.
2nd Nomination:

Dark Gamble
Sorcery
An opponent chooses 2, 5, or 10. Each players life total becomes the chosen number.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Infected Mannequin (R)

Creature – Zombie
0/0
Graft 2 (This creature enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may move a +1/+1 counter from this creature onto it.)
When Infected Mannequin dies, destroy all creatures your opponents control with +1/+1 counters on them.

By Riorvard, from his card thread. 
Nominating:
Industrialize |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant land
When enchanted land is tapped for mana, it produces instead of any other type and amount.

From here. 

Needs to be "if" — triggered abilities are too slow to catch mana abilities.  It's similar to my my Idol submission! 

Yeah, I fixed that.