Arcane Warrrior. Your Preferences

If multiclassing is not up to par, an option for the much desired part arcanist part warrior is to create a class that does this as its shtick. The arcane warrior is an archetype that shows up enough at tables, media, and D&D lore that it will have to show up in some form.

Now for the purposes of this thread, lets just assume the worst and a fighter+wizard multiclass is too weak relatively to his peers.

Should DDN be released with an arcane warrior class? Or should it be folded into a subclass of a more traditional class? Or appear in a later book? Or be a prestige class?

What would be the magic ability of an arcane warrior class?

What would be the highest spell level an arcane warrior class would cast?

What would the class's HD would be? d10? d8? d6? Variable with subclass?

What would be the trademark class feature outside of arcane spellcasting and high base to hit, if any?

And the name if it is a single class with subclasses?

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

If multiclassing is not up to par, an option for the much desired part arcanist part warrior is to create a class that does this as its shtick. The arcane warrior is an archetype that shows up enough at tables, media, and D&D lore that it will have to show up in some form.

Now for the purposes of this thread, lets just assume the worst and a fighter+wizard multiclass is too weak relatively to his peers.

Should DDN be released with an arcane warrior class?

Yes, please.

Or should it be folded into a subclass of a more traditional class? Or appear in a later book? Or be a prestige class?

The problem with it being a subclass is -- which parent class? I don't want it in a later book; we'll be using it right off the bat. Not a prestige class, because we'll start it at 1st level.

Not sure what you mean. What the focus of the magic is? That's up to the player to decide -- warrior with arcane help, mage who can take care of herself in a melee, etc.

What would be the highest spell level an arcane warrior class would cast?

Same as any other mage.

What would the class's HD would be? d10? d8? d6? Variable with subclass?

Going from the non-subclass variety, I'd say d8, but I'm willing to hear reasons for other HDs.

What would be the trademark class feature outside of arcane spellcasting and high base to hit, if any?

Casting with/through the weapon as a magic focus seems reasonable.

No idea. There are lots of different examples; I'm not sure just one would suffice.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

I think "gish" should be it's own class (though perhaps with a better name).  I mean, we have paladin for divine/martial.  So a arcane/martial would work.

And there are enough combo's to make up enough sub-classes for it.  Including swordmage, arcane archer, bard (possibly), magical warlord (plz), ect..

And like paladins.   I imagine 1/2 spells, 1/2 martial, and a bunch of other features.  Like being able to make your weapons flaming or shoot around corners.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Not sure what you mean. What the focus of the magic is? That's up to the player to decide -- warrior with arcane help, mage who can take care of herself in a melee, etc.

Magical ability score. What would be the casting stat.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

INT

I think "gish" should be it's own class (though perhaps with a better name).  I mean, we have paladin for divine/martial.  So a arcane/martial would work.

And there are enough combo's to make up enough sub-classes for it.  Including swordmage, arcane archer, bard (possibly), magical warlord (plz), ect..

And like paladins.   I imagine 1/2 spells, 1/2 martial, and a bunch of other features.  Like being able to make your weapons flaming or shoot around corners.

This.
I thought the idea they had for a "sorcerer" was an interesting take on the arcane warrior.  I would be interested to see if that concept makes it back into the game.
I really liked the shielding swordmage, and I would rename it spellguard to open other weapons to the class.
The concept would be prevention of harmful effects and heavy supernatural mobility.

Beside the shielding features, I would focus on at-will weapon spells and arcane stances (at-will or more powerful once per encounter).
For bigger effects, I'd favor a limited number of utility tactical spells recovered with short rests that can be used used during an attack. These spells would be mostly teleportation and/or protection tricks upgrading with class levels at an adapted rate depending on each spell. No spell with DCs.

I would build the class around Charisma and Intelligence.

A Hexblade sublass could replace the shielding features with a curse/debuff and defensive weapon spell/stances with offensive ones.

Arcane warrior is not a multiclassed fighter/wizard. 

A fighter/wizard is two immiscible parts shoved together - when you're being a fighter, you're not being a wizard, and when you're being a wizard, you're not being a fighter.

An arcane warrior is a true blending, that uses both spells and weapons together, harmoniously, at the same time.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I really liked the concept behind 4E's swordmage. Though I think I'd rather see one more of a glass cannon, not a protector type.
I really liked the shielding swordmage, and I would rename it spellguard to open other weapons to the class.
The concept would be prevention of harmful effects and heavy supernatural mobility.

Beside the shielding features, I would focus on at-will weapon spells and arcane stances (at-will or more powerful once per encounter).
For bigger effects, I'd favor a limited number of utility tactical spells recovered with short rests that can be used used during an attack. These spells would be mostly teleportation and/or protection tricks upgrading with class levels at an adapted rate depending on each spell. No spell with DCs.

I would build the class around Charisma and Intelligence.

A Hexblade sublass could replace the shielding features with a curse/debuff and defensive weapon spell/stances with offensive ones.

I'd much prefer INT/CON. It takes a lot of stamina to maintain arcane wardings while also standing up in melee.
Should DDN be released with an arcane warrior class?

If the multi-classing system is broken, then Next should have one arcane warrior to start and will probably need several down the road. There is a wide range of variation in the magical/martial ratio that a player may want, from primary casters who can hold their own for a while in melee to martial warriors with a few magical tricks. What sort of powers players will want for the class is all over the place, essentially any warrior concept with arcane tacked on is possible. A magical skirmisher vs a magical melee striker vs a magical melee defender vs an arcane archer, plus more and all of those have variations within. Does your arcane archer use magic to power up his bow or use AOE spells and the bow is mostly for at-will peppering of enemies? Elemental design or more abstract arcane? There are lots of different ways to go here.

Everything else should mostly flow from that. Int should be the casting stat by default, but some variations might go with Cha. HD would depend on how melee oriented the class is, though most should be D10 or D8. Signature power would mostly be sacrificing a spell to use some specific arcane power, usually but not always channeled through their weapon.

I'd lean toward INT, though I could make a case for CHA, too.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Int, without a doubt.
I like spellguard, great name :-)
Except it sort of dictates defence...
I greatly prefer one word class names, but the intuitive spellblade is locked to one weapon group.

How about Arcaknight? :-)
Oh my preferences are

d8, Int, Paladin progression (1st through 5th), Burn spells for +X to hit and +Xd6 damage (X is spell level).

Name Swordmage

Subclass: Duskblade, Bladesinger, Aegis (4e style sword mage), Eldritch Knight

A fighter/wizard is two immiscible parts shoved together - when you're being a fighter, you're not being a wizard, and when you're being a wizard, you're not being a fighter.

An arcane warrior is a true blending, that uses both spells and weapons together, harmoniously, at the same time.

+1

I really think there should be a specific arcane-gish class that is designed around blending spell and swordweapon. If we're keeping at-will cantrip-attacks, they should definitely be built around an assumption of casting a spell and attacking with a weapon every turn during combat, with their spell-list customdesigned to both balance that and make it feel both distinctly magical and distinctly martial. (As a basic example, they could have elemental damage-boosting in place of Deadly Strike, maybe with lower damage but multiple potential damage types with different side effects. Teleporting should also be a common option for them, though not an automatic class-feature, and I'd be ok with it being at-will or not at-will.)

Ideally, there should also be a martial subclass of wizard (much as there's a martial subclass of cleric) that can at least fight at Gandalf levels. It also wouldn't be terrible to have a slightly-arcane Fighter subclass, though that especially seems like later book territory. And I very much think they need to get multiclass balance working well, so that a Fighter/Wizard multiclass is a viable character option.

My preference is that multiclassing is up to par. 

Danny

My preference is that multiclassing is up to par. 

Mine too, but even with good multiclassing, an arcane warrior is not the same thing as a fighter/wizard.
Should DDN be released with an arcane warrior class? Or should it be folded into a subclass of a more traditional class? Or appear in a later book? Or be a prestige class?

I would love to see it as a class.  We have Paladin (divine warrior) and Ranger (primal warrior), so I think it is only fair to have an arcane warrior.  There have been enough of them over the years (bladesinger, arcane archer, swordmage, etc) that I think the demand is there.
What would be the magic ability of an arcane warrior class? What would be the highest spell level an arcane warrior class would cast?

The same as Paladin and Ranger.  They would have 1st level spells from start, and max out at 5th level spells.
What would the class's HD would be?

I think d10, like Paladin and Ranger.  The assumption is that you are able to fight in the front lines, and so being durable is a must.

Now that is the million dollar wossname.  Perhaps the ability to unleash a spell when you hit with an attack.  Or using arcane energy for defense and to augment your attacks, and casting a spell would decrease this.

I like Swordmage.  Simple yet evocative.

I don't think there's a need for a Gish at launch.  If multiclassing is handled well, there may never be.

And before one starts to work out that sort of idea, it might be positive to get the Wizard under control and the paladin in a nice shape before working on a Gish.

If and when the Gish-type class comes, I hope it resembles 3e's Duskblade, which was one of the few times I've seen a recognizable mix of swordplay and sorcery.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I think the Bard, Sorcerer and multiclassing should be able to cover a gish in some capacity, but i dont think thats enough.

This is another good example of why they should do Side-classes

Also why not make Arcane Knight a paladin build. Power source doesnt exist anymore so why shouldnt there be Arcane Paladin who protect magic and it's users from those who hate it or missuse it
Power source doesnt exist anymore so why shouldnt there be Arcane Paladin who protect magic and it's users from those who hate it or missuse it

Compelling idea!

Danny

Power source doesnt exist anymore so why shouldnt there be Arcane Paladin who protect magic and it's users from those who hate it or missuse it

Compelling idea!

Because power source still exists, even if it's not called out.  An arcane paladin is not the same thing as an arcane warrior.

Compelling idea!

Because power source still exists, even if it's not called out.  An arcane paladin is not the same thing as an arcane warrior.

I was diggin' the flavor more than anything else, really.

A paladin who takes an oath in the name of the Arcanist sums it up nicely.

Danny

I don´t like the name swordmage, I would rather hexblade or duskblade. And don´t forget any names aren´t so be easy to be translated to other laguanges with short words.

* Do you rebember the swordsages from "Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords"?

* Drows would be wonderful hexblades.

* Warmage as wizard subclass? 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Warmage as wizard subclass? 

There's definitely room for a tradition of wizardry that trades spell slots in exchange for proficiency with light armor and simple weapons.

Danny

An arcane warrior
A Fighter/wizard
A Wizard who has a few weapon and armor proficiencies
A Fighter with some spells

Are all different things.

A character's class determines their primary way to interact with the world. Wizards use arcane spells. Fighters use martial equipment and expertise.

I believe there is a way to get a half martial and half arcane PC that is neither over or under powered greatly compared to his peers. But i fear it is a hard road. Harder than most designeds would travel. So an arcane warrior wil subclasses that gauge how far in each direction and how spells and weapons/armors interact might be a must.

Compelling idea!

I was diggin' the flavor more than anything else, really.

A paladin who takes an oath in the name of the Arcanist sums it up nicely.

It's a great concept, but it's still different from an arcane warrior.
Alternatively to a "full to-hit, low spells" like paladin, I'd like to see it "medium to-hit, medium spells". I do think the magus in pathfinder is excellently executed. The skeleton is very bard-like, not paladin/ranger.
I think a good multiclassing mechanic is essential to the success of this edition.  I think that creating an effective and balanced arcane warrior through muliclassing is going to be essential.  And, I don't think this because it's how things were in the older editions.  If you can create a good mulitclassed arcane warrior, you should be able to create other great multiclass concepts, like the arcane trickster, arcane hierophant, and many others. 

While I would love a good arcane warrior as a base class, I would say that the multiclass mechanic is more important to develop before designing that particular class. 
Oh my preferences are d8, Int, Paladin progression (1st through 5th), Burn spells for +X to hit and +Xd6 damage (X is spell level). Name Swordmage Subclass: Duskblade, Bladesinger, Aegis (4e style sword mage), Eldritch Knight

Sounds good with some slight alteration.

Class name Eldritch Warrior
Builds: Arcane Archer, Abjurant Knight, Bladesinger, Hex Slinger, Swordmage, War mage

Base class to hit and Ws for attack are based on paliden, spells as well (but with a trimed down wiz/sor list).
  each build gets a diffrent set of features more like Rangers fav enemy... and a few bonus spells to list (like paliden oath).   So the Swordmage can get the burn spells for +xd6 damage, but the abjurant knight instead gets a scaleing mage armor effect, and the bladesinger gets a spell song effect, and the warmage gets something else.      

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Agreed, that's why i suggest a "gish" class similar to the paladin.  

You cast cast pure spells (paladin progression), and you do pure weapons (paladin progression).  But you also get a bunch of features that blend the two as well.

Like...
Arcane Archer - X/day, you can shoot around corners.
Spellshield - puts up magical shields to protect allies.
Warmage - elemental damage on hit.
Hexblade - debuffing on hit.
Bard - constant buffing songs.
Spell Thief - Steal spells.   (though it's rather meta gamey). 

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I want a true fighter mage.

Not an arcane fighter who buffs his arms and armor with close up magic to make his sword burst into flames or his armor tougher to penetrate.

I want a fighter/wizard who chucks an fireball on the orcs and then charges hin to finish the orcs still standing true good old melee prowess.
I'd like to see the 4e swordmage return. Of all the myriad gish builds, it had some nice uniqueness. But I'd also look at the duskblade, bladesinger, and other variants and see if I could fold those in as subclasses.

It should work well in Next. Most of the builds could be low-offence spells focusing on buffs to boost offence or defence. No primary stat like in 4e means you could build a high Str or Dex based swordmage. Or lowball those stats and focus Int and use more offensive magic. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Assuming that multiclassing doesn't provide acceptable characters. An arcane warrior can exist in different flavors. Take for instance a full plate wearing warrior that enchanted his equipment himself with enhancements and who can utter a dying curse when killed. Or a light or no armor warrior that compensates equipment with wards, enchantments and conjured weaponry or ammunition. There's also the dabbler, knowing enough martial arts to hold his own in a fight, using medium armor and martial weapons, but also with some arcane tricks up his sleeve like invisibility, teleportation etc. Ability score fueling the magic should be based on the source of the arcane (int for rituals and rote learned spells, cha for bloodline and bargain gained magic)
The idea I have for Sorcerer is full attack bonus with no "spell casting" they would instead get a sort of simple magical ranged attack that they can use at will. Then they would use their own XD to augment their magic blasts and/or combat abilities in more magical ways than a fighter does, what sort of augments they get depend on their subclass.

The Dragon Sorcerer could spend dice to make the blast into a cone or give themselves a claw attack when in melee or give themselves scales

A Hexblade Sorcerer can spend dice to add a variety of debuffs to their blasts or melee attacks

A Wilder Sorcerer can roll their XD to add random effects and bonuses to their blasts

Compelling idea!

We called them Arcadian Knights.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

A fighter/wizard traditionally plays like a paladin and ranger. They typically buff up or debuff and area and then beat people up. Fighter/Wizards are traditionally worst as their HP and AC lower and the way spells and armor/weapons don't typically merge well..

But the arcane warrior's subclasses could each give the class the strategy the players seek.

The Duskblade would get heavy armor and be able to attack and cast spells at the same time. I don't know how you'd do arcane channeling though.

The swordmage build would would get the Warding AC buff and get Aegis of Assault and Aegis of Shielding. No -2 mark. The character would place an aegis on the target and if the target hits on someone other that the arcane warrior, as a reaction, they can either teleport and attack or reduce the damage.

The Bladesinger would get Bladesong style and be able to cast and attack like a Duskblade but in a more graceful style.

Bladesinger is simple. Just add a few swift cantrips and your set.

guides
Power
my builds

Bladesinger is simple. Just add a few swift cantrips and your set.

guides
Power
my builds