Gen Con 2013 events and material

So for those of us that can't afford a trip to Gen Con (which is most of us).

1. Will the seminars be streamed somewhere on the D&D site or youtube?

2. Will we get a chance to download/purchase Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle?

3. Also, for the Sundering adventures, do you have to be a D&D Insider to play, or will the material sold on Amazon be all you need?
1. Will the seminars be streamed somewhere on the D&D site or youtube?

The important ones usually are.

2. Will we get a chance to download/purchase Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle?

It's being marketed as a convention exclusive product, so those who don't attend cannot access it until it hits the secondary market.

3. Also, for the Sundering adventures, do you have to be a D&D Insider to play, or will the material sold on Amazon be all you need?

You will need to access the statistics for the monsters (which will be made available for a 3E game, a 4E game, or a DDN game), but I haven't seen a specific mention of where that download will be made available.

Danny

According to the Washington Examiner, WotC won't have a booth at Gen Con this year. They weren't the producers or distributors for GoDC, and they're using largely volunteer DM's for events. From the event tickets they've sold Gen Con will refund them the costs of exactly 5 staff. And all this is at the same time that Encounters is switching from free to pay. Basically they're cut their Summer expenses to only payroll and travel. It makes me wonder what's going on with WotC's promotional budget.
According to the Washington Examiner, WotC won't have a booth at Gen Con this year. They weren't the producers or distributors for GoDC, and they're using largely volunteer DM's for events. From the event tickets they've sold Gen Con will refund them the costs of exactly 5 staff. And all this is at the same time that Encounters is switching from free to pay. Basically they're cut their Summer expenses to only payroll and travel. It makes me wonder what's going on with WotC's promotional budget.

When was this said? Because Mike Mearls announced D&D's presence at Gen Con yesterday in the L&L

www.wizards.com/dnd/Feature.aspx?x=dnd/f...
us.topnewstoday.org/us/article/6221480/

WotC is going to be at Gen Con but they are not going to have an official booth or sponsored location. They are no longer a sponsor or vendor at Gen Con like they've practically always been. Instead, they're running ticketed events, panels, and seminars just like my friends and I will doing.

From my own experience this means that Gen Con will be refunding them the costs of 5 staff members. I suspect they're just sending 5 people down which is probably why they're emphasizing walk-on and volunteer DM's for their events.

Edit: I double-checked and found out that they're still listed as a sponsor of Gen Con. It's just that they've withdrawn having an official booth from the convention. Still, registering a large booth would have cost less than $2000, so I suspect it's a decision based on staffing. Perhaps they can only afford to send 5 people down? If they weren't going through a 3rd party publisher and vendor they could probably make more off of GoDC. The main advantage to this strategy is that they can minimize their upfront costs. Either way this suggests they're pinching pennies.

WotC is going to be at Gen Con but they are not going to have an official booth or sponsored location. They are no longer a sponsor or vendor at Gen Con like they've practically always been. Instead, they're running ticketed events, panels, and seminars just like my friends and I will doing.

From my own experience this means that Gen Con will be refunding them the costs of 5 staff members. I suspect they're just sending 5 people down which is probably why they're emphasizing walk-on and volunteer DM's for their events.

Edit: I double-checked and found out that they're still listed as a sponsor of Gen Con. It's just that they've withdrawn having an official booth from the convention. Still, registering a large booth would have cost less than $2000, so I suspect it's a decision based on staffing. Perhaps they can only afford to send 5 people down? If they weren't going through a 3rd party publisher and vendor they could probably make more off of GoDC. The main advantage to this strategy is that they can minimize their upfront costs. Either way this suggests they're pinching pennies.

no crap...they are on a skeleton crew.  You know how everyone likes to say if 5e fails DnD will lose all its funding from hasbro...guess what already happened with the failure of 4e.  They made a promise they couldn't keep and now they are paying for it.  I mean look at the people writing stuff for dragon half of them are magic the gathering employees or other non D&D related staff at WoTC doing double duty (most likely not caring that they are doing something not in their original job description because they love the game).  They are pinching pennies because they have no funding from their parent company and are in fact existing on their own dime.  They pretty much have to rebuild the entire thing from scratch like an indie dev, and stuff like this is gunna be where they save some of that money.

Like while it might only cost $2000 to get the booth space it likely costs much more to bring all of the practical booth stuff to the con as well.  I mean take PAX East for example the year before this last one they had a giant lolth statue with them...building that thing and shipping it cross country had to of cost them thousands of dollars alone, not to mention all of the other banners and walls and everything else that goes into building one of those booths.

no crap...they are on a skeleton crew.  You know how everyone likes to say if 5e fails DnD will lose all its funding from hasbro...guess what already happened with the failure of 4e.  They made a promise they couldn't keep and now they are paying for it.  I mean look at the people writing stuff for dragon half of them are magic the gathering employees or other non D&D related staff at WoTC doing double duty (most likely not caring that they are doing something not in their original job description because they love the game).  They are pinching pennies because they have no funding from their parent company and are in fact existing on their own dime.  They pretty much have to rebuild the entire thing from scratch like an indie dev, and stuff like this is gunna be where they save some of that money.

I think we all suspected they were pinching pennies but I didn't think it was that bad... in any case, I don't think this changes anything in terms of my support for the game, if anything I will be more inclined on buying the product... I just hope they can deliver 5th Edition to us as promised.

You're wrong on many counts.

They're still a main sponsor.

WotC will have their usual M:tG ballroom area and this year will have the "D&D HQ" which will be their booth also. They're big enough people will seek them out rather than needing to be in the Dealer Room.

As far as volunteers go, that's always been the case.  Baldman Games runs WotC D&D at Gen Con. WotC's need/demand for resources (re: people) for DDN this year is so large Baldman isn't able to have enough people to run LFR events.

WotC: The Abe Vigoda of the gaming world.

I think we all suspected they were pinching pennies but I didn't think it was that bad... in any case, I don't think this changes anything in terms of my support for the game, if anything I will be more inclined on buying the product... I just hope they can deliver 5th Edition to us as promised.

Doesn't change my support either.  This is how business works.  There are ups and there are downs, and that stuff happens.  I'm hoping they can conservatively rebuild their base and get back to the top where they should be.

WotC will have their usual M:tG ballroom area and this year will have the "D&D HQ" which will be their booth also. They're big enough people will seek them out rather than needing to be in the Dealer Room.

As far as volunteers go, that's always been the case.  Baldman Games runs WotC D&D at Gen Con. WotC's need/demand for resources (re: people) for DDN this year is so large Baldman isn't able to have enough people to run LFR events.

Yeah, the MtG event that just happened in Vegas was the largest in event history. The organizers had to cap the tournament at some 4500 players or some crazy number.

They're making plenty of money; they're just not going all out on the D&D front while the playtest and design process are underway.

Danny

oh WoTC is fine, just on magic alone, GP Las Vegas had like 4500 players participating this year which is a record breaking number for largest trading card game tournament.  I wouldn't at all doubt magic being a core brand recieving funding from Hasbro.  However D&D is a seperate division and they clearly aren't recieving funding anymore, and that's fine.  I mean as a D&D player I don't go to their booths at Cons, I go to the play area because that's where all the real fun is, and from what I can tell this year's play area at Gen Con is going to be friggin rock awesome.
oh WoTC is fine, just on magic alone, GP Las Vegas had like 4500 players participating this year which is a record breaking number for largest trading card game tournament.

Hah! I am most quickest ninja in the land! 

I wouldn't at all doubt magic being a core brand recieving funding from Hasbro.  However D&D is a seperate division and they clearly aren't recieving funding anymore, and that's fine.  I mean as a D&D player I don't go to their booths at Cons, I go to the play area because that's where all the real fun is, and from what I can tell this year's play area at Gen Con is going to be friggin rock awesome.

Agreed. Booths are lame, tables are awesome.

Danny

Mike Mearls made it sound a lot better in his tweets i will be parafrasing here ( maybe will go look up the orignal tweets later)

basicly what he said was the folowing:

Last year ad Gen Con we had a booth and part of the gaming area,and it turned out the gaming area was where the real ation was resulting in a lot of running back and forth between the booth and the gaming area.
but the gaming area wasen't that big resulting in the main most asked question at the booth being when spots would open up in the gaming area so they could try the game hands on.

So this year we managed to get a much larger part of the gaming area and that is where our focus will be, to try and give as many people as we can a chance to get hands on with the game. 

Mike Mearls made it sound a lot better in his tweets i will be parafrasing here ( maybe will go look up the orignal tweets later)

basicly what he said was the folowing:

Last year ad Gen Con we had a booth and part of the gaming area,and it turned out the gaming area was where the real ation was resulting in a lot of running back and forth between the booth and the gaming area.
but the gaming area wasen't that big resulting in the main most asked question at the booth being when spots would open up in the gaming area so they could try the game hands on.

So this year we managed to get a much larger part of the gaming area and that is where our focus will be, to try and give as many people as we can a chance to get hands on with the game. 

Sounds more like a strategic move then a finance issue

This strategy makes sense to me when they're at this stage in the development process (ie, they've got a playable demo, but no actual commercial product to push yet).
I just wish there were still a GenCon West in the LA area.
Sign In to post comments