PEACH Element Unhinged: Eladrin Assaultlock that abuses the elements

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Attempting to create a build that abuses the interactions between the Warlock's Elemental Pact, Malek-Keth Janissary, and the Sarifal Feywarden theme. Race itself isn't truly set in stone, though Fey is. This leaves it between Eladrin (teleporting build basically), and Pixie (charger) pretty much.

I opted to go with light blades, rather than going with a FWB, because first, light blade route deals slightly more DPR consistently, and secondly, there's only a 20% chance that your Pact Boon will be effective for fire without using Second Wind cheese (I prefer to save second wind for when/if it's actually needed). 

So please, look through, nitpick, have fun.

Oh, and Yuukale, this is the build I've been twiddling with that I mentioned before. 

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ====== 
Element Unhinged, level 30 Sun Elf (Eladrin)
Warlock/Swordmage, Malec-Keth Janissary, Radiant One
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid) Option: Aegis of Assault
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Twofold Pact Option: Elemental Pact
Devshirme Training Option: Gain Training in a skill
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Sarifal Feywarden
Quickened Spellcasting Option: Booming Blade 

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 15, INT 26, WIS 12, CHA 26

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 11, DEX 13, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 42 Fort: 38 Ref: 45 Will: 47
HP: 184 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 46

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +30, Endurance +21, History +30, Intimidate +28, Stealth +22, Thievery +22

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Athletics +15, Bluff +23, Diplomacy +23, Dungeoneering +16, Heal +16, Insight +16, Nature +18, Perception +16, Religion +23, Streetwise +23

POWERS
Sarifal Feywarden Utility: Sarifal's Blessing
Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
Swordmage Attack 1: Booming Blade
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Chromatic Bolt
Warlock Pact Boon 1: Accursed Affinity
Warlock Encounter Attack 1: Witchfire
Swordmage Daily Attack 1: Frost Backlash 
 Swordmage Utility 2: Channeling Shield (retrained @ 16 to Assassin's Bane)
Swordmage Encounter Attack 3: Dimensional Vortex
Warlock Daily Attack 5: Emerald Shield
Warlock Utility 6: Fate's frayed Thread (retrained @ 15 to Fast Hands)
Swordmage Encounter Attack 7: Dual Lightning Strike
Swordmage Daily Attack 9: Lightning Strider  
Warlock Utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Swordmage Encounter Attack 13: Seed of Fire (Dual Lightning Strike) 
Warlock Attack 15: Far Realm Glimpse (replaces Emerald Shield)
Swordmage Utility 16: Borrowed Confidence
Warlock Attack 17: Song of the Siren (replaces Witchfire)
Swordmage Daily Attack 19: Rubicant's Assault (replaces Frost Backlash)
Warlock Utility 22: Hero's Defense 
Swordmage Encounter Attack 23: Lightning Bolt Charge(replaces Seed of Fire)
Swordmage Daily Attack 25: Quicksilver Blade (replaces Lightning Strider)
Swordmage Encounter Attack 27: Swordchaser Assault (replaces Lightning Bolt Charge)
Swordmage Attack 29: Astral Thunder Blade (replaces Rubicant's Assault)

FEATS

Level 1: Hybrid Talent(Swordmage Warding) (retrained @10 to HT: Shadow Walk) (retrained @ 12 to Feywild Flanker)
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Eladrin Swordmage Advance
Level 6: Mindbite Scorn (retrained @ 24 to Dual Implement Spellcaster)
Level 8: Superior Will   
Level 10: White Lotus Riposte
Level 11: Twofold Pact
Level 12: Resourceful Leader
Level 14: Relentless Curse
Level 16: Dual Implement Spellcaster (retrained @ 21 for Nimble Blade)
Level 18: Improved Defenses
Level 20: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 21: Warding Curse
Level 22: Rapid Aegis Reaction
Level 24: Cursed Spells
Level 26: Total Aegis
Level 28: Mindbite Scorn
Level 30: Quickened Spellcasting

ITEMS
Hestavar Dueling Blade Rapier +6
Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth (epic tier)
Incisive Dagger Dagger +6
Rod of Harvest +3
Battle Harness Mantle Armor +6
Cloak of Translocation +6
Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (heroic tier)
Phantom Chaussures
Eye of Awareness
Belt of Vim (paragon tier)
Ring of Free Time
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier)
Ring of Tenacious Will
Backlash Tattoo
====== End ======
Pretty cool idea. Though I am more closely familiar with striker classes so it's not my forte, but I was just curious why you hybridized with Swordmage instead of going Swordmage MC? Unless you were going for more crowd control via bursts, but you didn't take sword burst. Why not hybridize with something like Executioner, or go Half-elf and dilettante Twin-Strike? Would be even more brutal for single targets, which would get your boon to trigger faster. Also there's probably an argument to be made for a rod of corruption in the off-hand if you don't go Twin-Strike.
I think the idea is that Aegis of Assault acts as a "striker feature" by giving you out-of-turn attacks. The problem with this IMO is that 1) it's conditional on DM strategy and party tactics to assure your aegis doesn't just obey your mark, 2) it's a pain to deal with juggling both aegis and curse, whether you're doing it with actions, burning feats on them, or using items to avoid doing the previous options and 3) it competes with all your other Immediate options until level 22 on this build.

It's a neat hybrid and could certainly be fun in a game, but I just don't feel like these recent SM/lock builds are really bringing anything new or different from the ones laid out two years ago.
Pretty cool idea. Though I am more closely familiar with striker classes so it's not my forte, but I was just curious why you hybridized with Swordmage instead of going Swordmage MC? Unless you were going for more crowd control via bursts, but you didn't take sword burst. Why not hybridize with something like Executioner, or go Half-elf and dilettante Twin-Strike? Would be even more brutal for single targets, which would get your boon to trigger faster. Also there's probably an argument to be made for a rod of corruption in the off-hand if you don't go Twin-Strike.

Going half-elf would take out the SFW theme since they aren't considered fey. Also, Rod of Corruption is an option, though it would be somewhat counterproductive with Elemental Pact. That's why Relentless Curse is in there. It makes it to where I can consistently keep the vulnerabilities up, rather than having to wait and spend that minor action on my turn, thus acting as a psuedo corruption. However, with Rod of Harvest, it does open up Corruption, but then I would outright need a hand familiar, and this build is already extremely feat starved. And Scatterbrained nailed the reasoning on going SM/lock over Executioner or any other hybrid. 

Shame Half-Elves aren't fey, this build could really have used that. Such a large vulnerability granting mechanic deserves to be stacked ontop of a solid multiattack offense.

Didn't notice the pact boon was a ImmReaction, thought it was a free action.

Anyway I agree with Scatterbrained that the Aegis of Assault is not a reliable trigger. I think this build has a more to gain from hybridizing with Exec (more direct damage) or Rogue (for minor attacks) than with Swordmage. If you're putting so much effort into a damage mechanic, especially one dependent on trigger a pact boon, you'd want the direct muscle I'd think. A defender mecanism isn't going to let you reach that boon as quickly, putting the investment at risk. An Exec|Lock can pull off major damage on your first turn via Curse/Eldritch Strike/Attack Finesse/Executioner's Strike/Charge Gear. Once the boon is triggered you maintain your DPR levels through your Elemental Boon/Sarifal Feywarden/Malek-Keth Janissary feature. The always on Attack Finesse for MBAs is just candy on top. It won't be costing you two minors to maintain both curses and aegis of assault in the first round. 

Pact Boon is is not an Immediate, compendium error.

The first couple of rounds you don't use the Aegis, you're using Swordmage encounter interrtupts. After that, it is reliable because you're fairly mobile.
Pact Boon is is not an Immediate, compendium error.

The first couple of rounds you don't use the Aegis, you're using Swordmage encounter interrtupts. After that, it is reliable because you're fairly mobile.

This actually reminded me about that part of the build. I had originally been focusing more on feats and that order, and completely forogt about the importance of the SM IA's. Updated the original post with power changes so that DV and CS are in there within the 1st 3 levels.