Can we see the survey results?

We can see the results for the weekly art and creature poll articles...
but is there anyway to see the e-mail survey results?

Merls hint's at it in his articles, but, IMO, seeing the numbers would help discussions here.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Vecna shares his secrets with the worthy! Cut out your eye and you will see power, cut off your hand and you will hold power!

Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast is not responsible for the consequences of any failed saving throw, including but not limited to petrification, poison, death magic, dragon breath, spells, or vorpal sword-related decapitations.

Ah, but those are the "1 million dollar" informations! ^^

I'd also be very happy to get my hands in such an info... Or perhaps, my only hand in such an info...
Are you threatening me master jedi? Dungeons & Dragons 4e Classic - The Dark Edition
It would certainly be interesting!

Danny

Vecna shares his secrets with the worthy! Cut out your eye and you will see power, cut off your hand and you will hold power!

Hmm...

I don't think "Eye of Mike" has quite the same ring to it...

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Hmm...

I don't think "Eye of Mike" has quite the same ring to it...

What about "The Eye of Mearls"...  I think that sounds cool...
Just the survey percentages, without the numbers behind them, or the comments added in would probably be a safe thing to share, I agree!
Want continued support for 4e, check this out, 4e Lives and Breaths

Check out MY eZine, Random Encounters Seuss (lordseussmd on YM)
Wizards doesn't even publish their sales data. What makes any of you think they're ever going to release playtest survey results?
Most companies don't post their Sales Data, however, WotC has already shown they will share some Survey Data in the past (the Art and other Column survey data is generally in the next installment afterall)

I don't think the raw Survey percentages would be enough to be construed as 'giving away the farm' so I definitely advocate this! 

I also would like to see the results. 
I'd like to add my voice as well.  I think transparency would be a good thing here.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

We all would, but it's never going to happen. 

Wizards, being a creative company, lives or dies by its IP. Because of that, they're (rightly) paranoid about guarding it closely, and that attitude has kind of diffused throughout the company, for better or worse. 
this is silly, they give people an inside view with articles and the ability to playtest. are people so paranoid that they want a lie detector test too. seems people take for granted all the hard work people put into thing with all their monday morning quarterbacking. if anyone can do better, then prove it. make a game get it on kickstarter and prove that mearls and co are not a good fit, otherwise people need to drop this junk.
I disagree; I don't think they should release the data.  Most people don't care about the data; those that do are too emotionally charged, as a generalization, for it to a productive exercise.
Yeah, that's just not a good idea. It'd just be more fuel for the edition war fire, honestly. It's not like the really opinionated would change their minds if they were shown proof their opinion was in the minority. Best case, they preach their opinion even harder in a crusade to convert as many people as possible. Worst case, they go into denial and start crying foul, constructing conspiracy theories about WotC skewing the data to push an agenda. Probably some of both. And those in the majority pretty much get handed authorization to ride their high horse through the center of town with a megaphone screaming "I told you so." No thank you.
Yeah, that's just not a good idea. It'd just be more fuel for the edition war fire, honestly. It's not like the really opinionated would change their minds if they were shown proof their opinion was in the minority. Best case, they preach their opinion even harder in a crusade to convert as many people as possible. Worst case, they go into denial and start crying foul, constructing conspiracy theories about WotC skewing the data to push an agenda. Probably some of both. And those in the majority pretty much get handed authorization to ride their high horse through the center of town with a megaphone screaming "I told you so." No thank you.

^^^^^ this

^^^^^this
I'd like to add my voice as well.  I think transparency would be a good thing here.

fwiw: Next has been pretty transparent, especially with the 'Wandering Monsters' polls and such. And that's cool. Even more information would be interesting to me, but I acknowledge that we're at more than we could've hoped for (and we effectively see the end results the polls in the updates anyways).

I disagree; I don't think they should release the data.  Most people don't care about the data; those that do are too emotionally charged, as a generalization, for it to a productive exercise.

I agree with this.

Also, anything that is really close that one side or the other feels neglected on is like a blaring advertisement to other companies to try to swoop in, the research having been done for them, and try to sway customers away.  I can literally see no good that can come from such an idea except in the most one-sided decisions.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

It's not like the really opinionated would change their minds if they were shown proof their opinion was in the minority.

Data driven information can often change logical minds, and peer emulation can often change others. And evidence can still be enlightening even if one's opinions remain.

So I have to cut off my head and just attach the Heav of Vecna to see the survey results? Sounds simple enough...
My two copper.
So I have to cut off my head and just attach the Heav of Vecna to see the survey results? Sounds simple enough...

hahah the head still has both its eyes.
You are sacrificing the wrong things, just present a bowl of life cereal when the sun starts to rise.
You are sacrificing the wrong things, just present a bowl of life cereal when the sun starts to rise.

Give it to Vecna he will eat anything.... Vecna likes it! he really likes it!!
Possible outcomes if the survey data is shared:

Positive:
People who don't believe their being heard see that their wants are close to the 10% mark, and they get their friends who have quite taking surveys, or that aren't participating in the surveys currently to jump on, showing them that yes, in fact, they are 'this close' to the mark!

People who think they are in the majority who aren't conspiracy theorists see that in fact they are in the minority and either do as above, or back off and start burning a torch for other facets of the game/jump on board the Modular concept and start working that angle.

Negatives:
People disbelieve what is being reported and yell even louder trying to be heard!

People see they are losing, and yell even louder trying to convince people to change their minds

People see they are winning and lord it over those who are losing.

Oh, final negative: 
People see they are losing/winning, and stop taking the surveys, figuring that its a done deal regardless, thus skewing the data 

Data driven information can often change logical minds, and peer emulation can often change others. And evidence can still be enlightening even if one's opinions remain.

There is enough emotion laced throughout all of this that it will override those logical minds.

Nothing good can come of this at all.

For those confused on how DDN's modular rules might work, this may provide some insight: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/11/the-world-of-darkness-shines-when-it-abandons-canon

@mikemearls: Uhhh... do you really not see all the 3e/4e that's basically the entire core system?

It is entirely unnecessary to denigrate someone else's approach to gaming in order to validate your own.

Possible outcomes if the survey data is shared:
Negatives:
People disbelieve what is being reported and yell even louder trying to be heard!

Already happening

People see they are losing, and yell even louder trying to convince people to change their minds

Already happening

People see they are winning and lord it over those who are losing.

Already happening

Well the negatives are already all happening based on what's in the packet.  So we might as well get the positives.

My Blog which includes my Hobby Award Winning articles.

I pretty much agree, Emerikol, just wanted to put them out there

from the way Mearls and the rest of the design team talk about their jobs you'd think WotC is just like any other RPG company out there. in practice, WotC is really more like a giant opaque cube that no one sees in or out of.

i'd love to see the survey results, but unless edward snowden's next job is with Hasbro, it's not happening. 
but, IMO, seeing the numbers would help discussions here.

Really?

You think giving whichever side feels slighted the proof that their concerns are being "ignored" (not actually, but that's what they'll say) would help discussions here?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Egads, without the comments, many of the raw numbers lose much context.
Personally, I would rather not have another context free set of statistics to quibble over here. 
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.

To be honest, I don't care. I want to see the data to see how things progess. 
How people react to the data and what they do with it is none of my business. 

Remember that the survey results are only part of the data going into the design. There's a lot more going on than we see or maybe even know about. So just seeing the survey numbers wouldn't give us much concrete information on what 5e is ultimately going to look like.

I work at a game company, and I don't know everything that's going on in the design phase of our games. I wouldn't expect to see more than that from a company I've only volunteered for.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

but, IMO, seeing the numbers would help discussions here.

Really?

You think giving whichever side feels slighted the proof that their concerns are being "ignored" (not actually, but that's what they'll say) would help discussions here?

Yes.

No.  I do not think more data will do anything to those who are complaining about being ignored.  
Some people will complain no matter what.   But that's a minority.  A noisy minority to be sure, but still a minority.

However, i feel the majority of people would have better discussions otherwise.
We shouldn't live in fear of the trolls.

Though i did think of one major reason WoTC may not want to.  Nothing to do with the forums or discussion, but they may not want Piazo to see.

guides
Power
my builds

Yes, please share the data.  I consider myself a fairly logical person, and a small d democrat.  If a clear majority of people want something, then their preferences should be determinative, as long as there is a fair process for adjudicating their preferences, and the results do not infringe on the rights of all people. 

I would prefer a highly simplified D&D, with all Tier 3 classes, and lots of optional modules for people who want more complexity.  But if a clear majority want other things, then what they want should be core, and what I want should be in optional modules.  Or if what I want is clearly in the minority and can't be worked into the system, then I wasn't going to buy the product anyway, so you're better off just telling me now, so that I don't waste my time and people aren't distracted by my pointless comments.

I would also add that I have a very close friend who works for Paizo, and they couldn't be happier about D&D Next.  It's bringing more attention to D&D in general, so the pool of people who play is getting bigger.  But they know that WotC is not going to have a new SRD/OGL, which will piss off lots of people.  And they know that whatever D&D Next ends up being, there will be some large group of people who are unhappy with it.  And Paizo is happy making a few million dollars each year off of this smaller group of pissed off hard core gamers, instead of fruitlessly trying to unite all gamers into a single system which will (fail to) make $50 million per year for Hasbo.  The results of the surveys are meaningless to them.  They're just going to continue with Pathfinder and the old OGL. 
i think the results would inflame a majority of 4th edition players and show why the game dosent really reflect their prefences. That is something we really dont need, the threads would then make my eyes bleed instead of just sting a bit.
I think, also, given Paizo's rapport they have with their player base (even not being a Pathfinder Fan Myself) that Paizo could easily garner any data that they might 'learn' from WotC sharing the survey results. By only sharing the results, in a percentage format, they aren't going to be giving anything away to any competitors. Now, the suggestions and comments is where the true gold is going to be (mixed in with a lot of opinionated hyperbole of course)

I see nothing but a truly positive experience from sharing the raw percentage data from the surveys. If anything, this can help people better realize whether their answering the surveys is having an effect on the game or not. Determine if they really are in the Majority or Minority, or Middleground, spark conversations, and also may inspire newer, more constructive comments to be sent in.

At least, that's my take on the whole situation! 

@mikemearls don't quite understand the difference

I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down. - Eric Cartman

Enough chitchat!  Time is candy! - Pinky Pie

I'd rather not give the trolls more food to eat.

Stop the H4TE

I'd rather not give the trolls more food to eat.

Trolls feed on attention, not data.

guides
Power
my builds

Sign In to post comments