Clerics get less spells...why?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to decide on what kind of character I want to play for a playtest my group is having this weekend. Origionally, I wanted to be a cleric until I realized that the druid got substantially more spells per day, and an ability that allowed him to regain spell slots he had previously used up. For that reason, the druid actually had the ability to use more magic than the cleric.

Now I haven't playtested these classes yet, so I'm just wondering if the other abilities of the cleric (channel divinity, slightly higher attack bonus, better armor) give him enough boost to make up for the smaller spells per day, or does the cleric just lose out to the circle of the tree druid?
The Oberoni fallacy only applies to broken rules, not rules you don't like. If a rule you don't like can be easily ignored, it should exist in the game for those who will enjoy it.
I was about to reply in relation to the cleric spell advancement vs the wizard spell advancement, but since you've mentioned the druid um... the druid is generally regarded as very OP at the moment so you probably shouldn't compare it to anything else until it gets a serious nerf ;)

The short answer is 'you wouldn't use anything except a druid, in the current  packet'.
Epic fantasy action adventure! - free ebook
The Return of Druid-zilla aside, Next clearly doesn't want you to think of Clerics as being a "stand back and cast spells all day" class. 

The way the game wants you to play a Cleric is something along the lines of "You stand next to the Fighter on the front line and hit things with your mace, and occasionally you cast a spell". 

This has been true all the way back to the first internal playtest packet, as far as I'm aware. 
The Return of Druid-zilla aside, Next clearly doesn't want you to think of Clerics as being a "stand back and cast spells all day" class. 

The way the game wants you to play a Cleric is something along the lines of "You stand next to the Fighter on the front line and hit things with your mace, and occasionally you cast a spell". 

This has been true all the way back to the first internal playtest packet, as far as I'm aware. 

Yes and no... it depends on your choice of deity.

A cleric of the Arcanist is much less equipped to stand next to the fighter than a cleric of the Warbringer, as an example.

Though I generally agree -- the cleric is not a wizard.

Danny

Alright thanks for the info. I had no problem with the cleric having less spells than the wizard because the wizard was much less useful in close combat so it felt fair.

@mrpopstar, I actually was trying to play an arcanist cleric, but I felt like he was just a weaker caster with sword he wouldn't want to use. 
The Oberoni fallacy only applies to broken rules, not rules you don't like. If a rule you don't like can be easily ignored, it should exist in the game for those who will enjoy it.
I think it's important for everyone to keep in mind that the cleric is explicitly described as a wielder of both magic and weapon...

"Armed with a weapon and a holy symbol, a cleric combines martial prowess in melee combat with powerful spell ability." (Classes 060713, pg.4)

It's a base assumption that the class will switch between spellslinging and martial engagement.

I actually was trying to play an arcanist cleric, but I felt like he was just a weaker caster with sword he wouldn't want to use.

Be sure to provide that feedback!

Danny

I think it's important for everyone to keep in mind that the cleric is explicitly described as a wielder of both magic and weapon...

"Armed with a weapon and a holy symbol, a cleric combines martial prowess in melee combat with powerful spell ability." (Classes 060713, pg.4)

It's a base assumption that the class will switch between spellslinging and martial engagement.

I actually was trying to play an arcanist cleric, but I felt like he was just a weaker caster with sword he wouldn't want to use.

Be sure to provide that feedback!

You can be sure I will. I think the armored clerics are balanced fine, but I would really like to see a little more love for the wizardy clerics (lightbringer and arcanist).
The last packet was a step back for clerics, spell selection options, and did not fix druids (call lightening - what the heck?).  I would think right now you play a cleric because you like the character or you play a druid because you like the character.  I expect both to change in the next packet...
I don't think any class has enough spells per day, but especially the cleric. I think the cleric should be equal in spellcasting to the druid.

Also note that, for some reason, a ranger can cast more spells than a paladin.
I don't think any class has enough spells per day, but especially the cleric. I think the cleric should be equal in spellcasting to the druid.

Yes, but a paladin has channel divinity, and the ranger lacks any such comparable feature.

Danny

Agreed, the main spellcaster classes (wizard, circle of the tree druid, nonarmored cleric) should have the same number of spells. I actually don't think that the armored clerics need more spells because they already have armor and weapon proficeincies and channel divinity.

Agreed, the main spellcaster classes (wizard, circle of the tree druid, nonarmored cleric) should have the same number of spells. I actually don't think that the armored clerics need more spells because they already have armor and weapon proficeincies and channel divinity.

I agree with this completely. 
Epic fantasy action adventure! - free ebook

I'm down with that. It would be simple enough to say that Arcanist and Lightbringer can cast one more spell of each level they can cast, and gain an additional use of channel divinity per day.
Fewer. Clerics get fewer spells.

I'm down with that. It would be simple enough to say that Arcanist and Lightbringer can cast one more spell of each level they can cast, and gain an additional use of channel divinity per day.

I'm not so sure about the extra channel divinity because I wouldn't want to give the cleric more magic than the wizard, I just want them to have about the same.

THANK YOU! That's been bothering me since I saw this.

THANK YOU! That's been bothering me since I saw this.

I'll fix this if anyone tells me how to change the title of this thread. 
Steven Fry disagrees with your pedantry: www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY
Let's all be more cognizant of the fact that these forums are open to all, that not everyone has been afforded the same education, and that English isn't everyone's first language.

Danny