Magic Implments

Since we still have +1/+2/+3 weapons and armor, would it at all hurt the system to have +1 wands, staff, orb, totam, holy symbol?

I   

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

+1 Ladder!
It -shouldn't- hurt it at all so long as you had a way of getting blanket +'s to saves.  Without that to potentially balance it, you might run into a problem of overpowering the wizards/sorcs/et al.  Magic armor is a counter to magic weapons; magic save adjusts are the counter to magic implements (or would be/need to be, in a perfect world).

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

@OP: I don't think it would hurt, but I really do think it might be the blandest way to bring implements back.  I'd much rather see each implement have a characteristic, as mentioned in the other implement thread, than just see it be another kind of +X item.

It -shouldn't- hurt it at all so long as you had a way of getting blanket +'s to saves.  Without that to potentially balance it, you might run into a problem of overpowering the wizards/sorcs/et al.  Magic armor is a counter to magic weapons; magic save adjusts are the counter to magic implements (or would be/need to be, in a perfect world).

Agreed.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

doing this would have the drawback of forcing everyone to use an implement or miss out on bonuses. some people probably won't have a problem with that, but i don't think there's really much reason for it in the game as it stands now.
@OP: I don't think it would hurt, but I really do think it might be the blandest way to bring implements back.  I'd much rather see each implement have a characteristic, as mentioned in the other implement thread, than just see it be another kind of +X item.

Yes, this! So much this.

4e implements were just sooo close to hitting the mark. 

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
Sign In to post comments