[Contest] Whose Card Is It Anyway?

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
Welcome to Whose Card Is It Anyway?, the game where everything's made up and the points do matter!

IMAGE(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/50/WhoseLineUS.jpg/300px-WhoseLineUS.jpg)

The YMtC Chopped threads have me wanting to create my own TV-show-themed contest...so I will!

Whose Card Is It Anyway? is of course based on the popular improvisation show Whose Line Is It Anyway? I'll be basing this on the American series since I've seen much more of that than I have of the British ones (sorry, UK residents!).

So here's how this works:

• Each round will be based upon a different game from the Whose Line franchise.

• Once a round begins, contestants may submit cards until they hear the buzzer (that is, until I post a buzzer reply). This is typically 24 to 48 hours from the opening of the round, but I reserve the right to buzz in whenever the heck I want.

• At the end of each round, I'll judge the contestants based upon creativity, originality, flavor, and playability of their cards. There will also be one point deducted if the rules of the game were not followed.

• The person (or people) with the lowest score must sit out the next round. However, they can rejoin the game the following round. For example, if you lose round 2, you cannot submit anything for round 3, but you can come back in round 4.

• If a contestant doesn't submit a card, he or she automatically must sit out the next round.

• When the contest ends (after 4 to 10 rounds, depending on how popular this is), the person with the highest total score is the winner! And he or she gets to do a little something special with me, while the other contestants watch :P

Got it? Good. The first round is open to anyone! Submitting a card for round 1 enters you into the contest for all other rounds, but once round 2 begins, no one else may join.

Round 3: Hollywood Director
In the TV show version of Hollywood Director, the contestants act out a given scene without restrictions. Halfway through, another performer (usually Colin) stops the scene and, acting as a movie director, tells them to re-do whatever they just acted out, but with different "notes" (i.e. styles or themes or ways of acting).

For the YMtC edition, here's how it works:

You have 36 hours to make a card. Any card. There are no restrictions or criteria to meet here: whatever you want goes. However, it MUST BE SUBMITTED within those 36 hours. No exceptions, no extensions; if you don't submit something within 36 hours, you're sitting this one out.

After the 36 hour mark, I will buzz in, but NOT TO END THE ROUND. No, what I'll do instead is give you all some notes. This may be some surprise theme, or a restriction, or something else. You won't know what it is until I post it--heck, I don't even know what it is yet. But once I post the notes, you'll have 24 hours (which I'll be a little more lenient about) to modify your previous card to fit those notes, and submit the new version.

The second version should be edited into the post with the first version, keeping them both intact in the same post. When you've submitted your second version, please post a new reply to confirm that you've done so.

For example, if you made this card:

Reverse Looting
Sorcery
Discard a card, then draw a card.
In a truly chaotic world, you don't get to see the future before deciding to enter it.

I might buzz in and say "No, no, no! Guys, enchantments matter in Outer Space" (hint: that won't be the real note). So now you might want to change your card to this:

Space Piracy
Enchantment
If a player would draw a card, instead that player discards a card, then draws 2 cards.
Commander Pegleg stared at the alien sun and wondered at the entropy of the universe: can we predict fate?

Previous Rounds
Round 1
Round 1: Whose Line?

We'll start with the classic, titular game, "Whose Line?" In the show, the contestants must act out a scene and incorporate random lines written by audience members. In the YMtC version, I'll give you some snippets of text, and your entry must incorporate at least one of them. If you like, you can incorporate more than one, but make sure the card is still good!

Lines:

"Until your next upkeep"

"Whenever ~ becomes tapped"

"the amount of life lost"

"the number of cards"

Round 2
Round 2: Three-Headed Broadway Star
In the TV show, this game is played by having three contestants make up an original Broadway-style song--but they must each supply only one word of the song at a time. This often results in hilarious lyrics and counting flubs.

In the YMtC version, your job is to create three cards that are good individually, but which combo together to create an effect much better than the sum of its parts. While you are allowed to simply reference the other cards by name to set up your combo, that's an easy way out and will make your Creativity score drop dramatically--so try and be more creative than that!

Time to channel your inner Johnnies, everyone! And remember: only people who entered the first round can partipate in the contest from now on. Everyone else is free to watch, though, and to comment on the contest whenever they want .

Contestant Standings:

Grades
Round 1 Grades

CardCreativityFlavorPlayabilityFollows RulesTotalGrade
TekkahedronAngelic OversoulI don't think I've ever seen anything like this before...and I like it! The idea of returning exiled cards, but out of reach, as a COST is really pretty cool. Very well done in the creativity department! 1000/1000The flavor of him turning into an angel for a turn or two is fun, but I just don't understand why returning an exiled card would trigger that. I think a little flavor text to explain would have gone a long way here. Still, it's very cohesive otherwise. 800/1000Would I play this? Oh, yes. Sure, the library manipulation makes me think it should be in Azorius colors instead of mono-white, but that's extremely minor. I don't play white often, but if I did, this would be in every one of my white decks, if only because it works out to be a 4/4 flier for 4 but it does so fairly. 900/1000+1002800/300093.33%
MargeraldEternal LockIt's interesting, for sure. You need to find some other way to tap it, and if you do, you can get an extra turn for a price. Not something I've really seen before very often. 850/1000While the flavor text seems a bit...awkward to me, it's still very good. The idea of a lock that no one knows how to open is fun, and fits the mechanics. At the same time, calling an eternal lock “Eternal Lock” isn't as flavorful as it might have been. 800/1000I think any Johnny playing an Esper deck or a Golgari- or Orzhov-colored deck would enjoy this. I'd even like it in other decks, provided I had SOME life gain. But then, I'm a bit of a Johnny and I love Golgari colors. 900/1000+2002750/300091.67%
SymbioticEmbrionary KrasisCreative! Putting cards back into your library to pay for +1/+1 counters is cool. And making a tap equal a forced unsummon is a nice balance. 900/1000A Krasis is usually a species hybrid, right? So why isn't this? I take it the flavor is you putting what you know into making the Krasis, though, correct? Anyway, the flavor text is really fun . 750/1000It's a very nice blocker, and well balanced. I'd play it. 900/1000+2002750/300091.67%
ColonialDragonsGuiltWithering is nothing new. Black hurting others for its own pain is nothing new. Putting them together? Surprisingly, it's quite new and useful! 750/1000The flavor text explains it all. When people hurt you, the enchantment makes the creature feel guilty about it. And the text itself is quite fun! 900/1000I love black, and I love withering effects. As much as I would love to play this, though, its 1 black mana cost is WAY too cheap. Paying life is life loss, and in black, that means it's much too easy to exploit this enchantment. It needs to cost at least 2 more. That oversight in the cost is why I had to deduct points from an otherwise lovely, gotta-have-it card. 800/1000+1002550/300085.00%
AlienFinger79Soulrender DemonI dunno...seems very basic black to me. I don't know if the combo has been done before, but it should have been if not. A bit too basic for me to consider it creative. 600/1000Pretty nice flavor here! The flavor text is wonderful, and the idea that the demon destroys your mind while helping hurt your enemies is great! This is dripping with flavor...I believe the YMtC term is “wet”. 900/1000I'd play it, definitely. It's a great black utility creature. The cost of discarding a card whenever he attacks might not completely justify the 1-drop cost, though, given his virtual black burn ability. Maybe 2 CMC would make more sense? But that's a maybe, and it's a minor complaint. 850/1000+2002550/300085.00%
febbstalicious42Time StompI like this! I've never seen anything that exiles spells, but then brings them back. The name really fits it as well! 800/1000I really like the flavor text, as well as the name, and it all fits the mechanical flavor. Nicely done! 900/1000When the spells come back, are they under your control now or the original caster's control? Do they come back in the same stack order they left in, or can you choose the order? There are some rules quirks like that that need to be worked out, but depending on how it really works, I'd play it. 600/1000+1002400/300080.00%
DudibusTainted VictoryThis card suffers the same issue as Habreno's: it feels like it's been done before. In fact, it's like the blue/black version of Cryptborn Horror, or the blue/black version of Tainted Sigil. Still, a surprisingly small number of real cards take into account the total life lost in a turn, so you get points for that. 550/1000I like the flavor text, and I like the idea of injury/death leading to a victory. However, a “promise of power” suggests strength to me, not knowledge, so I feel like that flavor text would work better if it gave +1/+1 counters or some other power boost instead of card draw. 700/1000Cost is right given what black can do to life totals. It's not overpowered, not underpowered, and overall I think it works well. It's be right at home in a Dimir deck (maybe even a Grixis deck). 900/1000+1002250/300075.00%
HabrenoBrainblastI don't know if such a card already exists, but it certainly feels like it does. I'm sorry, but this doesn't feel very creative at all to me. 400/1000No flavor text, but the mechanic fits the name (or vice-versa). 600/1000I can see this being used in an Izzet deck, for sure, and maybe in a burn deck. The cost feels right. It's simple, but effective. 900/1000+1002000/300066.67%
an_endless_epidemicBlasting IdeasCopying spells is nothing new. Restricting it to only card-draw spells is, but I don't know how useful that actually is. Still, it is new, so 800/1000.I guess the flavor is...one idea sparking another? It's okay, I suppose, but for a “blast” I feel it doesn't have much force behind the concept. And the cliché in the flavor text is a mild problem for me, as the entire flavor text is that one cliché. It could be worse, but it could definitely be better. 400/1000Playable in an Izzet deck, but can't really be splashed in other blue decks because of its cost. I don't know about the CMC, either; card draw is important, so maybe it could cost 1 more, but the target is restricted, so maybe 1 less. I don't know, maybe it's perfect. Templating is off...but I won't grade that. 700/1000+1002000/300066.67%
MrL567Mind WurmYou don't specify the toughness, so I assume the first ability is supposed to set both power and toughness to cards in hand. Aeon Chronicler has already done that, so no original aspect there. Paying life to draw cards is also nothing new. They may not have been used together, but that's mostly because they're really not very synergistic at all...they are very separate. So not much originality there. 400/1000The flavor is nice. A worm that burrows into your brain and feeds off knowledge, so it makes you learn just to hurt you. For a flavor text like “power is deadly”, though, 1 life lost per card drawn seems too low. Maybe 3 or so life would make more sense. 650/1000Would I play it in a Dimir deck? Yeah, it's nice card draw. Not super amazing, though, in my humble opinion. 700/1000+2001950/300065.00%
JadeCryptWishParanormal ParasiteNever seen anything like it, and believe me, I Gathered to try. It's also very interesting, I think, and its self-synergy is nice. 800/1000I like the flavor of the ghost depending upon the life it sucks out of others, but I don't really understand how the flavor text fits into it all. Like...at all. And I tried to figure it out, I did. So 700/1000At first, it seems very fun. My first thought was, “I'd play it.” But then, the realization set in: an opponent can simply pass his or her turn, and unless you can keep pumping burn or black-life-loss spells over and over (wasting them), your parasite will die with no way to save it. In multiplayer at least, that's terrible. So after considering its implications...300/1000+1001900/300063.33%
MorgothraKalni SpiritguardI've seen “choose-your-keyword” done before, but not so much that it's a saturated mechanic. 600/1000I don't know what Kalni is, and there's no flavor text. The ability can really be anything, and it looks like the subtypes were just added as an afterthought to make the different keywords apply to it. 100/1000It's nicely flexible, though. Not too expensive, perhaps even a little on the cheap side, so it'd see play in my decks. But nothing super amazing. 800/1000+1001600/300053.33%
jpdfrancaSudden SummoningIt's so simple...and I really don't think it's original. 200/1000I mean...not much flavor. The flavor is you've suddenly summoned something. The title is a mere description and the flavor text is a cliché. Meh. At least it's cohesive. 300/1000Oh, I like it as a card, definitely. I'd play it. 800/1000+1001300/300043.33%
Zinger2099Colin Mochrie, Improv MasterOh, man. I don't know if I want to start allowing UN cards in this contest...it's not really fair for judging. But then again...it's Colin Mochrie. I mean...it's original, yes, but that's because its mechanics are entirely UN. I don't know how to grade this...so I'll just start your grades at 500 instead of 1000 to balance it. As for your creativity score: 500/1000Flavor is lovely. Just lovely. If Colin Mochrie played Colin Mochrie, everyone would be sacrificing a creature whenever he becomes tapped. After reading your flavor text, I wanted someone to make a “Lightning Rod of Hate” artifact, but then I noticed your “tap to untap” ability almost mimics Colin's electrical waving during that line...well done, sir. 500/1000It's UN. Therefore, it's 100% playable in every UN game and 0% playable in every non-UN game. So 100/1000+1001200/300040.00%

The winner of round 2 is Symbiotic, with an impressive 98.33%! Congratulations!
The lowest score is an_endless_epidemic, with 50%. Sorry, Endless, you're sitting out the next round.

But you're in good company. A surprising 4 people didn't submit their entries, and so they must sit out as well.

Round 3 statistics:

Rejoining the Game
Zinger2099

Sitting Out
an_endless_epidemic
ColonialDragons
febbstalicious42
Morgothra
ipdfranca

Round 3 starts...NOW. Good luck everyone!

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Kalni Spiritguard :W::B:
Creature - Kor Cleric Knight
Whenever ~ becomes tapped, it gains your choice of deathtouch, first strike or lifelink until end of turn.
2/2 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!

BUT THE SCORE SHOULDN'T MATTER.

THIS IS A CONSPIRACY. 

THIS IS NOT WHOSE LINE CARD.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
You've reminded me of this amazing show. For that you win a
If you had forgotten about it, I'm sure you haven't yet heard the news that its coming back.

Level 1 Judge

And I probably won't watch it due to having too many other shows to watch, and it would be difficult to be as good as it used to be.
Time Stomp -- 
Instant
Exile all spells until your next upkeep.
Sometimes time flies at you.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Brainblast

Instant

Draw a card, then Brainblast deals damage equal to the number of cards in your hand to target creature or player.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Eternal Lock 
Artifact

Whenever Eternal Lock becomes tapped, you may take an extra turn after this one. If you do, sacrifice Eternal Lock, you lose life equal to the number of cards in your hand, then discard a card at random.

The orb gives no obvious way to access the force inside. The creative mages who open the lock on it may wield its power... at the price of comprehending exactly what the power is.

Tainted Victory
Sorcery
Draw X cards where X is equal to the amount of life lost by a player this turn.
Each drop of blood was a promise of power. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Angelic Oversoul |
Creature - Human Soldier

Vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile the top three cards of your library face down. (You cannot look at them as long as they are exiled.)
Put a card exiled with ~ on the bottom of its owner's library: Until your next upkeep, ~ is 4/4 and gains flying and is an angel in addition to other types.

2/2
Blasting Ideas

Instant

Until your next upkeep, if you were to cast an instant or sorcery that allows you to draw cards, you may copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.

The ideas hit with the force of a cannon
Wow! This is already more popular than I expected :D . It's the power of Whose Line, I suppose ;) . I'll let round 1 run for a bit longer to hit at least the 24-hour mark, then I'll buzz in to end it. I like the submissions so far :D .

BUT THE SCORE SHOULDN'T MATTER.

THIS IS A CONSPIRACY. 

THIS IS NOT WHOSE LINE CARD.

I KNOW, IT'S ALL MY FAULT, I'M SO SORRY I BROKE THE WORLD. But seriously, if the score didn't matter, it wouldn't be as fun in a YMtC setting. I can't just give everyone 1,000 points every round :P

You've reminded me of this amazing show. For that you win a

Why, thank you! And you're welcome! It really is amazing, isn't it?

And I probably won't watch it due to having too many other shows to watch, and it would be difficult to be as good as it used to be.

All the original cast members are back except Drew Carey. And let's be honest, he was really only there so the cast could make fun of him...I'm sure they can find something to insult Aisha Tyler with as well :P

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

Guilt 
Enchantment
Whenever you lose life, you may put -1/-1 counters on enchanted creature equal to the amount of life lost.
Skirk never thought about the people on the other end of his double axe until now.

Show
Upon the day that dragons were born, so to was the first white wig worn, by men who wished to make the world theirs, and in the process sorcery tears - the very fabric of space and time, dragging the dragons right into their prime, these monstrous beasts in philosophical mansions, stood right in the way of colonial expansions. To break these beasts a hero must be found, a hero of the future who can stand the sound - of centuries past and voices unfettered, and someone who'll carve dragon graves lettered - R, I, and P the three sacred symbols, that curse the dead to a land without gimbals. A land they'll never leave, because escape cannot conceive - itself, out of the grip of this mustachio'd hero, a Roosevelt who is comparable to zero. Family crest tattooed on his chest, the baddest m****rf****r this side of the West. And to the dismay of the colonial fools, their futuristic hero had to play by the rules, and the hero chosen by the dragons themselves, they summoned with a tome pulled from dusty shelves. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, or so they said, as their dragon tails were waggin'. And up from the depths, as the earth shook, the Oldest of Ones opened eyes for a look - at the battle that was about to be waged, the human champion that stood enraged - on the precipice between hither and yon, to battle this most eldritch scion. And with that, the tension was broken, the combat began, and each soul had spoken - its very last words, because as soon as time had started, so to had it ended, and sentience departed.
Soulrender Demon
Creature - Demon
Whenever ~ becomes tapped, discard a card. Each opponent loses life equal to the number of cards in your hand.
"Go forth, and slay my enemies! Uh... who were they again...?"
- Get, Apprentice Summoner
0/1
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Colin Mochrie, Improv Master
Legendary Creature - Human Monk
Whenever Colin Mochrie, Improv Master becomes tapped, tell a joke. Each opponent who laughed must sacrifice a creature.
: Untap Colin Mochrie, Improv Master.
"Hey come on, make fun of the bald guy!"
- Colin Mochrie
0/1

I feel I should point out that my proposed card is intended for the upcoming UNscrewed set. Tongue Out
Paranormal Parasite :WBM::WBM:
Creature- Spirit
When you cast Paranormal Parasite, target player loses 2 life.
Paranormal Parasite's power and toughness is equal to the amount of life lost this turn.
"While some don't believe me, I know that there is something strange going on. And I will find it, even if it means death" - Random Note next to a orpse.
*/*
Mind Wurm  
Creature-Insect
Mind Wurm's Power is equal to the number of cards in your hand.
Whenever Mind Wurm is tapped, gain 1 card and take 1 damage. 
"Knowledge is power, but power is deadly" 
X/X

Embrionary Krasis :gum:
Creature - Mutant
As an aditional cost to cast Embrionary Krasis you may pay :gum:. If you do, you may cast Embrionary Krasis as though it had flash. 
When you cast this spell you may put any number of cards from your hand on top of you library. If you do Embrionary Krasis enters the battlefield with a number of +1/+1 counters equal to the number of cards returned this way.
Whenever Embrionary Krasis becomes tapped return it to its owner's hand.

"Hah, I still remember my first Krasis too" Gulistan Simic Biomancer
0/1
Sudden Summoning
Instant

Until your next upkeep you may play creature cards as though they had flash.

If you blink you may miss it.
*BUZZ!* Time's up, game's over, round's done!

The response was very enthusiastic Now, it'll take me a little time to grade these cards, so in the meantime, ponder over this: the next round will be based upon the Whose Line game "Three-Headed Broadway Star".

Keep wondering. I'll keep grading. And as soon as I'm done, round 2 will begin .

*ROUND 1 GRADES ARE IN!*

The grades are in a spreadsheet, which means they paste in as a table. Hence the spoiler block. Check it out if you want to know your individual score or to see my comments about each card. Otherwise, you can skip it and see who won and lost below.

Grades

CardCreativityFlavorPlayabilityFollows RulesTotalGrade
TekkahedronAngelic OversoulI don't think I've ever seen anything like this before...and I like it! The idea of returning exiled cards, but out of reach, as a COST is really pretty cool. Very well done in the creativity department! 1000/1000The flavor of him turning into an angel for a turn or two is fun, but I just don't understand why returning an exiled card would trigger that. I think a little flavor text to explain would have gone a long way here. Still, it's very cohesive otherwise. 800/1000Would I play this? Oh, yes. Sure, the library manipulation makes me think it should be in Azorius colors instead of mono-white, but that's extremely minor. I don't play white often, but if I did, this would be in every one of my white decks, if only because it works out to be a 4/4 flier for 4 but it does so fairly. 900/1000+1002800/300093.33%
MargeraldEternal LockIt's interesting, for sure. You need to find some other way to tap it, and if you do, you can get an extra turn for a price. Not something I've really seen before very often. 850/1000While the flavor text seems a bit...awkward to me, it's still very good. The idea of a lock that no one knows how to open is fun, and fits the mechanics. At the same time, calling an eternal lock “Eternal Lock” isn't as flavorful as it might have been. 800/1000I think any Johnny playing an Esper deck or a Golgari- or Orzhov-colored deck would enjoy this. I'd even like it in other decks, provided I had SOME life gain. But then, I'm a bit of a Johnny and I love Golgari colors. 900/1000+2002750/300091.67%
SymbioticEmbrionary KrasisCreative! Putting cards back into your library to pay for +1/+1 counters is cool. And making a tap equal a forced unsummon is a nice balance. 900/1000A Krasis is usually a species hybrid, right? So why isn't this? I take it the flavor is you putting what you know into making the Krasis, though, correct? Anyway, the flavor text is really fun . 750/1000It's a very nice blocker, and well balanced. I'd play it. 900/1000+2002750/300091.67%
ColonialDragonsGuiltWithering is nothing new. Black hurting others for its own pain is nothing new. Putting them together? Surprisingly, it's quite new and useful! 750/1000The flavor text explains it all. When people hurt you, the enchantment makes the creature feel guilty about it. And the text itself is quite fun! 900/1000I love black, and I love withering effects. As much as I would love to play this, though, its 1 black mana cost is WAY too cheap. Paying life is life loss, and in black, that means it's much too easy to exploit this enchantment. It needs to cost at least 2 more. That oversight in the cost is why I had to deduct points from an otherwise lovely, gotta-have-it card. 800/1000+1002550/300085.00%
AlienFinger79Soulrender DemonI dunno...seems very basic black to me. I don't know if the combo has been done before, but it should have been if not. A bit too basic for me to consider it creative. 600/1000Pretty nice flavor here! The flavor text is wonderful, and the idea that the demon destroys your mind while helping hurt your enemies is great! This is dripping with flavor...I believe the YMtC term is “wet”. 900/1000I'd play it, definitely. It's a great black utility creature. The cost of discarding a card whenever he attacks might not completely justify the 1-drop cost, though, given his virtual black burn ability. Maybe 2 CMC would make more sense? But that's a maybe, and it's a minor complaint. 850/1000+2002550/300085.00%
febbstalicious42Time StompI like this! I've never seen anything that exiles spells, but then brings them back. The name really fits it as well! 800/1000I really like the flavor text, as well as the name, and it all fits the mechanical flavor. Nicely done! 900/1000When the spells come back, are they under your control now or the original caster's control? Do they come back in the same stack order they left in, or can you choose the order? There are some rules quirks like that that need to be worked out, but depending on how it really works, I'd play it. 600/1000+1002400/300080.00%
DudibusTainted VictoryThis card suffers the same issue as Habreno's: it feels like it's been done before. In fact, it's like the blue/black version of Cryptborn Horror, or the blue/black version of Tainted Sigil. Still, a surprisingly small number of real cards take into account the total life lost in a turn, so you get points for that. 550/1000I like the flavor text, and I like the idea of injury/death leading to a victory. However, a “promise of power” suggests strength to me, not knowledge, so I feel like that flavor text would work better if it gave +1/+1 counters or some other power boost instead of card draw. 700/1000Cost is right given what black can do to life totals. It's not overpowered, not underpowered, and overall I think it works well. It's be right at home in a Dimir deck (maybe even a Grixis deck). 900/1000+1002250/300075.00%
HabrenoBrainblastI don't know if such a card already exists, but it certainly feels like it does. I'm sorry, but this doesn't feel very creative at all to me. 400/1000No flavor text, but the mechanic fits the name (or vice-versa). 600/1000I can see this being used in an Izzet deck, for sure, and maybe in a burn deck. The cost feels right. It's simple, but effective. 900/1000+1002000/300066.67%
an_endless_epidemicBlasting IdeasCopying spells is nothing new. Restricting it to only card-draw spells is, but I don't know how useful that actually is. Still, it is new, so 800/1000.I guess the flavor is...one idea sparking another? It's okay, I suppose, but for a “blast” I feel it doesn't have much force behind the concept. And the cliché in the flavor text is a mild problem for me, as the entire flavor text is that one cliché. It could be worse, but it could definitely be better. 400/1000Playable in an Izzet deck, but can't really be splashed in other blue decks because of its cost. I don't know about the CMC, either; card draw is important, so maybe it could cost 1 more, but the target is restricted, so maybe 1 less. I don't know, maybe it's perfect. Templating is off...but I won't grade that. 700/1000+1002000/300066.67%
MrL567Mind WurmYou don't specify the toughness, so I assume the first ability is supposed to set both power and toughness to cards in hand. Aeon Chronicler has already done that, so no original aspect there. Paying life to draw cards is also nothing new. They may not have been used together, but that's mostly because they're really not very synergistic at all...they are very separate. So not much originality there. 400/1000The flavor is nice. A worm that burrows into your brain and feeds off knowledge, so it makes you learn just to hurt you. For a flavor text like “power is deadly”, though, 1 life lost per card drawn seems too low. Maybe 3 or so life would make more sense. 650/1000Would I play it in a Dimir deck? Yeah, it's nice card draw. Not super amazing, though, in my humble opinion. 700/1000+2001950/300065.00%
JadeCryptWishParanormal ParasiteNever seen anything like it, and believe me, I Gathered to try. It's also very interesting, I think, and its self-synergy is nice. 800/1000I like the flavor of the ghost depending upon the life it sucks out of others, but I don't really understand how the flavor text fits into it all. Like...at all. And I tried to figure it out, I did. So 700/1000At first, it seems very fun. My first thought was, “I'd play it.” But then, the realization set in: an opponent can simply pass his or her turn, and unless you can keep pumping burn or black-life-loss spells over and over (wasting them), your parasite will die with no way to save it. In multiplayer at least, that's terrible. So after considering its implications...300/1000+1001900/300063.33%
MorgothraKalni SpiritguardI've seen “choose-your-keyword” done before, but not so much that it's a saturated mechanic. 600/1000I don't know what Kalni is, and there's no flavor text. The ability can really be anything, and it looks like the subtypes were just added as an afterthought to make the different keywords apply to it. 100/1000It's nicely flexible, though. Not too expensive, perhaps even a little on the cheap side, so it'd see play in my decks. But nothing super amazing. 800/1000+1001600/300053.33%
jpdfrancaSudden SummoningIt's so simple...and I really don't think it's original. 200/1000I mean...not much flavor. The flavor is you've suddenly summoned something. The title is a mere description and the flavor text is a cliché. Meh. At least it's cohesive. 300/1000Oh, I like it as a card, definitely. I'd play it. 800/1000+1001300/300043.33%
Zinger2099Colin Mochrie, Improv MasterOh, man. I don't know if I want to start allowing UN cards in this contest...it's not really fair for judging. But then again...it's Colin Mochrie. I mean...it's original, yes, but that's because its mechanics are entirely UN. I don't know how to grade this...so I'll just start your grades at 500 instead of 1000 to balance it. As for your creativity score: 500/1000Flavor is lovely. Just lovely. If Colin Mochrie played Colin Mochrie, everyone would be sacrificing a creature whenever he becomes tapped. After reading your flavor text, I wanted someone to make a “Lightning Rod of Hate” artifact, but then I noticed your “tap to untap” ability almost mimics Colin's electrical waving during that line...well done, sir. 500/1000It's UN. Therefore, it's 100% playable in every UN game and 0% playable in every non-UN game. So 100/1000+1001200/300040.00%

So, Zinger2099, you've lost this round! You must sit out the next round, but don't worry, because you can make your comeback in round 3!
Congratulations to Tekkahedron for winning the round with an impressive 93%!

Let this be a lesson to everyone: though UN cards are allowed, the difficulty in grading them fairly means they're unlikely to win you a round. Tread around UN territory carefully if you must at all.

Round 2: Three-Headed Broadway Star
In the TV show, this game is played by having three contestants make up an original Broadway-style song--but they must each supply only one word of the song at a time. This often results in hilarious lyrics and counting flubs.

In the YMtC version, your job is to create three cards that are good individually, but which combo together to create an effect much better than the sum of its parts. While you are allowed to simply reference the other cards by name to set up your combo, that's an easy way out and will make your Creativity score drop dramatically--so try and be more creative than that!

Time to channel your inner Johnnies, everyone! And remember: only people who entered the first round can partipate in the contest from now on. Everyone else is free to watch, though, and to comment on the contest whenever they want .

Round 2: FIGHT!

*EDIT* Oy. The way that pasted in here is extremely confusing to read -_- . Next time, I'll be Photoshop-stitching some screenshots of the spreadsheet together into an image for you. Sorry about that!

Sigil of Cowardiance

Artifact

: : Tap target creature.

He feared everything, but ended up safe. And disowned.

Absolution

Enchantment- Aura

Enchant Permanent.
When enchanted permanent becomes the target of a spell or ability, return it and Absolution to their owner's hands.

It removes what it wishes, while removing itself.

Graceless

Instant

Until end of turn, if a permanent would be returned to its owner's hand, instead its owner may put the top ten cards of their library into their graveyard. If they do, that permanent remains on the battlefield. If they don't, that permanent is returned to it's owner's hand.

The fall he had was more than a fall from grace, but a fall from power.

Combos to self-mill with Laboratory Maniac.
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Time for things to get hurtin':

Midst of the Fray
Enchantment
Attacking creatures cannot be blocked by fewer than two creatures
The worse the battle gets, the more you watch each other's backs.

Cowardly Raider
Creature - Human Warrior
Whenever ~ attacks and isn't blocked, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn
"Let me just check if the coast is clear..."
1/2

Bloodbath
Instant
Until end of turn, creatures you control get +2/+2 for each creature blocking it.
"The blood flew thick enough to block the sun; and when silence fell, Rairan was the only one left standing"
- Tales of the Eight Tribes
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
Doomed Gravedigger
Creature - Zombie Cleric
Whenever Doomed Gravedigger is the target of a spell or ability while its in your graveyard, return it to the battlefield under your control. 
, Sacrifice Doomed Gravedigger: target creature gains -1/-1 until end of turn.
He dug holes for a living, one time he dug too deep.
1/2
---------------------------------------------------
Junk Shot
Sorcery
Exile target card in your graveyard. Corpse Catapult deals 3 damage to target creature or player. Then if there are no cards in your graveyard return Junk Shot to your hand.

The Cackler shot himself out of the cannon, it was glorious at first but disgusting in the end.
----------------------------------------------------
Restless Cemitery
Legendary Land
Add to your mana pool. Then put a 1/1 black zombie creature token onto the battlefield under your opponent's control.
At the beginning of each of your end phases if there are no cards in your graveyard, put a rest counter on Restless Cemitery.
If there are ten or more rest counters on Restless Cemitery, you win the game.

Tormented souls crave for the eternal sleep, but something in this world keeps them from the other.
To be fair, you never said UN cards WEREN'T allowed in the OP. Just a nitpick. Tongue Out

I think I should have received full marks for flavour and creativity, but extremely low playability. But I'm not the judge, you are, so I won't contend with your assessment.

Also, the proposed picture for my card:
Colin 
Lets see if I can try to make something better then last time. 

Lawbringer   
Creature, Veldeken Cleric
Whenever Lawbringer is blocked by a creature that has a mana cost of or less, you may detain that creature. 
You are underarrest for breaking over 300 regulations in your little heist. 
2/5

Chains of Justice
Tribal Instant, Veldeken
Detain all enemy creatures that are attacking or blocking you. If a creature was detained last turn already, detain it again and draw a card. 
Obey!

Imprisonment :wu::wu:
Tribal Sorcery, Veldeken
Costs less for every Veldeken creature you control. Exile all of the targeted opponent creatures for 3 turns. If a creature was detained this turn or last turn, send to the graveyard instead.
I sentence you 30 years of hard labor... 
Mind Devourer 
Creature- Demon Spirit

Fear

Hellbent - 
Whenever Mind Devourer deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card at random. If that player cannot discard a card, he or she loses 3 life.

Its effect on its prey resembles that of its summoner's mental
state.

3/3

Mind Eraser 
Creature- Vampire

Lifelink

Whenever Mind Erases deals combat damage to a player, that players discards his or her hand.

Its bite takes away more than just blood.

4/4

Consuming Power
Enchantment

You can't draw cards.

At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent discards a card at random, then loses 1 life.

: Sacrifice Consuming Power.

The pull of the demon's strength can only be resisted by the most powerful of mages.

Short Sprout :3M::GM:
Isntant
Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Everything grows at its own pace.

Nature Enhancer :WM::GM:
Instant
Until end of turn, whenever a +1/+1 counter is put onto a creature, put 2 more +1/+1 counters onto that creature.
I try my best to let life live the best.

Recapturing Snake :1M::GM:
Creature-Snake
You may have any number of Recapturing Snakes in your deck.
:1GM::Tap:, Sacrifice Recapturing Snake: Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
Mysteriously, this creature lets go of its prey, then it chases it again.
2/1 
Spark Wisp |
Creature - Spirit

Flying
When ~ dies, you may put a loyalty counter on target planeswalker. If you don't, you gain 3 life.

0/1

Modesty |
Creature - Incarnation

Whenever a creature you control dies, if it had a total power and toughness of 1 or less , return it to your hand.

2/2

Shepherd of the Meek |
Creature - Human Druid

Creature spells with a converted mana cost of 1 cost less to cast.

2/2
This contest is a failure because the points matter.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
This contest is a failure because the points matter.

I concur Dr.D, I concur.
The points have to matter or the contest wouldn't work! D: I'm so sorry, guys

Anyway, now that that's done... *BUZZ* Time's up, round's over!

While I grade these entries, chew on this: the next round will be based upon Hollywood Director.

No más entries, por favor!

*EDIT* Actually...I'm still missing 4 entries...come on, guys, I'll give you a little longer, but I'm definitely cutting this round after the 48-hour mark (so I'll buzz it out in 14 hours unless those 4 entries are submitted before then). Remember: anyone who doesn't submit an entry to a round must automatically sit out the next one!

lol my fault

Growth

Instant

Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. If ~ was cast from a graveyard, put 5 +1/+1 counters on target creature instead.

Flashback

Combustive Soul

Instant

Target creature you control deals X damage to target creature or player where X is its power.

Quick Claw

Instant

Target creature with power 5 or greater gains double strike until the end of the turn.

Flavor text later if I remember

Lupine Guide
Creature - Wolf
Whenever Lupine Guide attacks, untap target land.
2/2

Harrowed Field
Land
Harrowed Field enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever Harrowed Field untaps, add to your mana pool.
: Add to your mana pool.

Call of the Hollows
Enchantment
Lands you control have ": Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn."

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Okay, so now that it's been 48 hours... *BUZZ* The round is over...for real this time!

It seems even with the extension, not everyone submitted their cards. Oh, well, at least it's only 2 people, and we have rules for that :P .

No more entries for Round 2! It's very late here, so I'm going to tally up the grades in the morning, but while I do, you all can think about the next round!

Remember: Someone is sitting out this round depending on grades, so no submissions until those grades are released! Just think about it and plan ahead .

Round 3: Hollywood Director
In the TV show version of Hollywood Director, the contestants act out a given scene without restrictions. Halfway through, another performer (usually Colin) stops the scene and, acting as a movie director, tells them to re-do whatever they just acted out, but with different "notes" (i.e. styles or themes or ways of acting).

For the YMtC edition, here's how it works:

You have 36 hours to make a card. Any card. There are no restrictions or criteria to meet here: whatever you want goes. However, it MUST BE SUBMITTED within those 36 hours. No exceptions, no extensions; if you don't submit something within 36 hours, you're sitting this one out.

After the 36 hour mark, I will buzz in, but NOT TO END THE ROUND. No, what I'll do instead is give you all some notes. This may be some surprise theme, or a restriction, or something else. You won't know what it is until I post it--heck, I don't even know what it is yet. But once I post the notes, you'll have 24 hours (which I'll be a little more lenient about) to modify your previous card to fit those notes, and submit the new version.

The second version should be edited into the post with the first version, keeping them both intact in the same post. When you've submitted your second version, please post a new reply to confirm that you've done so.

For example, if you made this card:

Reverse Looting
Sorcery
Discard a card, then draw a card.
In a truly chaotic world, you don't get to see the future before deciding to enter it.

I might buzz in and say "No, no, no! Guys, enchantments matter in Outer Space" (hint: that won't be the real note). So now you might want to change your card to this:

Space Piracy
Enchantment
If a player would draw a card, instead that player discards a card, then draws 2 cards.
Commander Pegleg stared at the alien sun and wondered at the entropy of the universe: can we predict fate?

Right. So there's the description of the game. The first half begins as soon as I've graded round 2 :D . Start thinking now, people; strategy will do you well in this game .

Remember: Someone is sitting out this round depending on grades, so no submissions until those grades are released! Just think about it and plan ahead .

Fungal Stalker
Creature - Zombie Fungus
Fungal Stalker enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it.
Fungal Stalker deals combat damage to creatures in the form of +1/+1 counters.
Creatures with three or more +1/+1 counters become Zombie Fungus creatures in addition to their other types. 
0/0

You might end up sitting out, depending on your round 2 grade! So I'm sorry, but Fungal Stalker doesn't count as an entry, since the grades haven't been released yet. Please edit it out and wait for the grades before submitting a card. If you don't, I'll ignore Fungal Stalker and, for the purposes of this game, you will not have submitted an entry to round 3. Thanks!

Round 2 grades to come soon!

Round 2 Grades Are In!

You can view the entire, commented grade sheet here: Grade Sheet, Round 2

The winner is Symbiotic, with an impressive 98.33%! Congratulations!
The lowest score is an_endless_epidemic, with 50%. Sorry, Endless, you're sitting out the next round.

But you're in good company. A surprising 4 people didn't submit their entries, and so they must sit out as well.

Round 3 statistics:

Rejoining the Game
Zinger2099

Sitting Out
an_endless_epidemic
ColonialDragons
febbstalicious42
Morgothra
ipdfranca

Round 3 starts...NOW. See this post or the original post for the rules. Good luck everyone!

Honored Champion
Creature- Human Soldier

First strike

If a spell or ability an opponent controls that doesn't target Honored Champion would destroy or deal damage to Honored Champion, counter it.

"We fight here, equals against equals, or we do not fight at all."

3/3
Skeleton Blade 
Artifact-Equipment 

The creature who is equiped with the blade gets 2+/0+ and deathtouch. When a creature is destroyed by the creature holding the artifact, exile that crature and replace it with a 1/1 Black Zombie token on your side of the battlefeild.

It is actually made of skeletons, wonder how they were gained. 

New version 

Entropic Skeleton Blade 

Artifact-Equipment '

When the crature that has this equiped kills another creature, creature a 1/1 zombie token OR, spread -1/-1 counters to target enemy creatures equal to the slain creatures toughness or power (only the highest counts.)

Okay now that is just creepy. It replaces itself and removes itselfs!?
Sudden Summoning
Instant

Until your next upkeep you may play creature cards as though they had flash.

If you blink you may miss it.

[spoiler Spoiler Alert]Savage Summoning  
Instant  (M14 R)
Savage Summoning can't be countered.
The next creature card you cast this turn can be cast as though it had flash. That spell can't be countered. That creature enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it.[/spoiler]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Sign In to post comments