Why do you care about DDN?

I play all kinds of games and systems, its easy to find one I like the feel of mechanically. Phoenix Command for grit and trauma, Munchkin for lighter fare, and many in between or off of the scale entirely. And I like all the editions of D&D they all have something interesting. So the specific rules for DDN don't really matter that much to me. 

What is important to me is that DDN may bring a few more people into the hobby. While I'm comfortable with Apocalypse world or Slam Puzzle or Lamentations of the Flame Princess those games are certainly not for everyone. 

My hope is that DDN can be for anyone. What is your hope?

Elves, Gates, Book-binding and Doom On the Rocks: Breaking rules and lichen maps Is character development killing exploration in our games?
I want a TSR era playstyle with modern d20 mechanics and the name of D&D on it. Thats why I'm not to worried about specific mechanics from editions I like which is mostly BECMI,1st,2nd and 3rd ed.

I want some options but less bloat that 3rd and 4th ed had. Also I like D&D.

Edited by Crazy Monkey: Included spoilers around image. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

I care because D&D is not just a game for me, its a passion. There isn't a day where i don't read, write, chat, tweet about D&D or visit its website.  I am happy to participate and playtest during its development and i look forward to see the next iteration of D&D!

(My two biggest passions are

I am really hoping this is a return to BECMI/1E/2E style game.  I am hoping this game is a tweak and fix and clarification to the rules in those systems and completely unlike 4E and the complexity of 3.x/PF.
Because I'll be (more or less) forced into playing it after it's released.  I'd rather have it be more enjoyable than the times I was forced into DM'ing Pathfinder.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
D&D has an element to it that I cannot seem to find or emulate in any other system. Since I like that element I have an emotional investment in seeing that element fostered and expanded upon.

I do hope D&D Next can be a system for anyone. I really don't see that in the present playtest however, and that makes me unhappy.
I care about D&DN because I really don't have any hobbies or passtimes that don't revolve around gaming, and as such I am locked in the eternal search for the perfect game (subjective perfect, so everyone just relax).

I have yet to find an edition of D&D or any other roleplaying game that I did not have dislikes about, and so I keep on searching for something so near to perfect that it won't be outside my own ability and time available to make it perfect - all the while I keep contemplating and experiment with tweaks to remove dislikes from the games/systems I already own.

...I expect I will never find the perfect game, and so I am always interested in new games for idea mining - especially when those games are being written in a way that allows me to make suggestions as to what I think would make the game better.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Because I wanna be one of the guys who write DnD, and I wanna do a good job when I get there. 
What is important to me is that DDN may bring a few more people into the hobby.

That, only replace "a few more" with "several tens of millions."
D&D is the game that launched not just the TTRPG hobby, not just the RPG genre, but the entire third wave of fantasy and speculative fiction, and has had massive influence on the current fourth wave.  There may be games with sleeker mechanics, more strategic gameplay, and heaven knows better graphical representation...but there's never been another which actually launches and rewards imagination and the creative process so directly.

No other product of this type has nearly the cultural cache capable of pulling this off.  I don't just see DDN as the future of the brand, nor even the fate of the hobby.  I think it's bigger than that. 

J.K. Rowling may have single-handedly saved true literacy for a generation.  But it's one thing to consume the fantasies spun by others, and quite another to be capable of true imagination oneself.  D&D is the best gateway drug for that type of mental activity, and if marketed properly, I think its influence could be a deciding factor in the creative faculties of the next generation. 
Why Do I care about D&DN ? Because it's chance to embrace my favorite RPG for Fantasy roleplay. I felt betrayed by WotC when they put out 4e & it was not (in my opinion) D&D anymore. D&DN is shaping up to be that game I was missing since they launched 3.0 , but unlike some grognards I could get past my issues with 3.x & enjoy playing it as in it's core it was still D&D to me. I want to be a D&D player again . I want to be a D&D GM again & I want to be supporting a official D&D edition that is being supported by it's publisher. D&DN is my best chance for that, because 4e sure wasn't & won't be. I don't want to play a retro-clone if I can support & play THE official D&D game again. If the current playtest packet is any hint as what it'll be. Then it'll be the game I've been wishing for & I'll be home again.
I care about DnDN becouse uptill now each edition of DnD I played (ADnD 2nd and later) each new edition opend up new play styles and made new kind of fantasy worlds posible.

I will do anything i can to push DnDN in it's own direction, becouse if I wanted anything that emulates a playstyle already in one of the existing editions i will just use that edition 
DnD was my first RPG, and it helped me get through some hard times by providing a enjoyable distraction.  I supported 3rd edition and 4th edition with alot of money, well for me it was alot of money, and I think there are merits, and demerits, to both editions.  I would like for DDN to be progressive, incorporate the good stuff and learn from past editions, including 1st and 2nd edition.
I want D&D to prosper.  

I'd like a streamlined simple game with d20 mechanics.  I'd like for it to be recognizable as D&D (to me).  I want to go back to playing a game and supporting the makers of that game.

My Blog which includes my Hobby Award Winning articles.

I care about D&DN because I have been playing Dungeons and Dragons for 20 years across three editions (2nd, 3.5 & 4th). With each new edition I have liked it more. I don't want that to change, but looking at next so far I'm worried it might.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

"I want all players from all editions to enjoy 5e"

"I don't expect this to happen at this point"

"I have no vested interest in 5e being successful because I don't need it"

"I would like for an edition to come out that would be inclusive of all styles of play"

This is edition warring, apparently. The desire for equality is edition warring.

Supporting an edition you like does not make you an edition warrior. Demanding that everybody else support your edition makes you an edition warrior.

Why do I like 13th Age? Because I like D&D: http://magbonch.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/first-impressions-13th-age/

AzoriusGuildmage- "I think that you simply spent so long playing it, especially in your formative years with the hobby, that you've long since rationalized or houseruled away its oddities, and set it in your mind as the standard for what is and isn't reasonable in an rpg."

Because they drew me in with the promise of everyone being included and then shattered that illusion by aiming the game almost solely at 3.5 players.

Stop the H4TE

I care because I want to see the fusion of modern & traditional be the very best it can be.  I've run 2E for more years than I care to count.  I played 3.x, and have a stack-o-Pathfinder books that I enjoyed mostly, except for the OHMYGODSOMANYMODIFIERS.  I'm now playing 4E and having fun, trying to keep the feel of the world as traditional as possible (ie, running from a world perspective still.  Sure, you can acquire magic items, but that doesn't mean every city has every item available; encounters might not match up to your level, things like that).  But I like a lot of the innovations.  I feel like I've been -lied- to about how 'terrible' the powers were outside of my own micro-experience with it previously.

So I'd like to see something informed by the modern and the past and blended together into a stable, coherent whole.  DDN has the potential to be it, but isn't guaranteed to be.  So it needs all of us, and all the people filling in surveys, and all the playtesters, to forge it into the best it can be.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

-I care because D&D and AD&D yielded some of the most interesting fantasy material ever printed. 

-I care because it yielded interactive narratives that kept me engaged for vast amounts of time.

-I care because it defined fantasy games since it's inception,  and even today it still forms the basis of many games.

-I care because it generated the Dragonlance series of novels which kept me engrossed for over 30 years.

-I care because playing it with friends is ridiculously fun.
So I'd like to see something informed by the modern and the past and blended together into a stable, coherent whole.

If this is all 5e winds up being, I'll be both impressed and pleased (altho not as pleased as a version that could appeal to as many people as possible).

Show
Really tho, take a look into 13th Age. If you want a game that blends both older type gaming and newer innovation, I think they did a great job. Not for everybody, but still a lot of good ideas there even if you don't pick the game up.

Supporting an edition you like does not make you an edition warrior. Demanding that everybody else support your edition makes you an edition warrior.

Why do I like 13th Age? Because I like D&D: http://magbonch.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/first-impressions-13th-age/

AzoriusGuildmage- "I think that you simply spent so long playing it, especially in your formative years with the hobby, that you've long since rationalized or houseruled away its oddities, and set it in your mind as the standard for what is and isn't reasonable in an rpg."

So I'd like to see something informed by the modern and the past and blended together into a stable, coherent whole.

If this is all 5e winds up being, I'll be both impressed and pleased (altho not as pleased as a version that could appeal to as many people as possible).

Show
Really tho, take a look into 13th Age. If you want a game that blends both older type gaming and newer innovation, I think they did a great job. Not for everybody, but still a lot of good ideas there even if you don't pick the game up.

Show
I've taken a look at it (and I mean that -- only a brief look so far, until I have a little more time on my hands later this week -- but I've got to be honest, the whole Icon thing really bugs me.  Sadly that's about as far as I've made it.  I plan on reading it further without having too much of a pre-formed opinion, but those trouble me.

I'm hoping for the best.  Really, that's all we can do.  That and stress to MM and the dev team that that is what we really want to see.

"Lightning...it flashes bright, then fades away.  It can't protect, it can only destroy."

About half my D&D is based around public play.

I've played every edition, I still have the dice I had to fill the numbers in with crayon. D&D has been my game of choice for over three decades.

I want the game to be made better, not a slave to nostalgia but still with a nod to its past.

I want it to call to me the way previous editions did, and quite frankly, DDN does not. Potentially yet, but If I didn't care, comment and test then the chances of it being something I want becomes less probably.

As Anjelica said:
I care because I want to see the fusion of modern & traditional be the very best it can be.

I care about D&DN because, frankly, I have hope that it can be the Best D&D.  I play 3rd edition, admire 2nd, personally couldn't stand 4th, and have no interest in Pathfinder.

D&D provdies something that, other than its direct clones like Pathfinder and OSR games, just isn't found anywhere else.  It really is a unique tone and experience... but no delivery vehicle for that experience is without its flaws: 3rd's strength (customizibility) is also its fatal weakness (inequally optimized characters not able to work together effectivley).  AD&D comes close to what I see as an ideal execution, but it's held back by some clunky mechanics and a general lack of players.  I understand many people enjoy 4th but I found it (both in my foray at launch and later when I tried it out again with Essentials) to have many undesireable qualities which I shall not utter here -- if you really want to engage me in that debate, PM me rather than bringing this thread down.

So in all cases, I think Next can improve, is earnestly trying to improve, on what has come before.  I think Next has the potential to be the best edition of D&D yet to go to print, and I'd like to see it achieve that.  I don't have total confidence that it will, but I have hope.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Why do I care about DnD Next?

Because I am looking for a system that is actually a real improvement on all the best things that I have enjoyed over the years. 

Currently I am still cautiously optimistic.

Member of the Axis of Awesome

Show
Homogenising: Making vanilla in 31 different colours
I care because I hope it will fix the issues of the past, even if it feels like it's cutting my favorite edition in every way.
I care about D&DN because so far it is shaping up to be the perfect system for me as far as running it is concerned, and a large group of my friends are digging on plkaying it with me as well.
Why do I care about D&D Next? Because I wanted to help mold a good game, and I enjoy Fantasy role playing. With a couple of interesting ideas aside I see the direction they are going  I no longer care what they do with this next inarnation of D&D. I have been sorely disappointed as well as most of the players I game with as well.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs NCIS "A slap to the face is humiliating. A slap to the back of the head is a wake up call."

Love 4e? Concerned about its future? join the Old Guard of 4th Edition

I care because when my girlfriend asks me what I'm doing and I'm with my roleplaying group, I say D&D. It doesn't matter what we're playing, D&D is the universal symbol of fantasy roleplaying and just roleplaying in general.

What I want out of 5th edition is a game where I can feel like I'm creating a person and not just a ranger, rogue or paladin. So far, DDN has been great about forcing you to think about who your character is. There's just enough structure that I know what my character can do, but not so much that I feel boxed in.

Ultimately what I want is a game with the brains of 4e, but the heart of 3e. I want a game where I have the customization and uniqueness of 3e, but with the balance that 4e brought to the table.
The Oberoni fallacy only applies to broken rules, not rules you don't like. If a rule you don't like can be easily ignored, it should exist in the game for those who will enjoy it.
Also I am sick of Pathfinder and want to come home. 

Fear is the Mind Killer

WotC is the best!
I haven't been playing a 'currently supported' version of D&D since early in 3rd edition. Once I realized 3rd wasn't the type of D&D I preferred we left it for earlier versions. 4th was a no go from the start as well. So it's been 12 years since I've been able to look forward to new products, or connect with players at a con, or see an influx of new players. That's what I want again...to be a part of the current hobby, and to get new products.

Amen!

Although, I never played any 3rd Edition and played 4th Edition exclusively while I was able to be a WPN coordinator/DM. Now I DM exclusively D&D Next Playtest material. 
Why Do I care about D&DN ? Because it's chance to embrace my favorite RPG for Fantasy roleplay. I felt betrayed by WotC when they put out 4e & it was not (in my opinion) D&D anymore. D&DN is shaping up to be that game I was missing since they launched 3.0 , but unlike some grognards I could get past my issues with 3.x & enjoy playing it as in it's core it was still D&D to me. I want to be a D&D player again . I want to be a D&D GM again & I want to be supporting a official D&D edition that is being supported by it's publisher. D&DN is my best chance for that, because 4e sure wasn't & won't be. I don't want to play a retro-clone if I can support & play THE official D&D game again. If the current playtest packet is any hint as what it'll be. Then it'll be the game I've been wishing for & I'll be home again.

So basically a rehash of games already existing? 

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

So basically a rehash of games already existing? 

No, not a rehash, a way of saying "look at all of this that was great before" and marching into the future with "the best game for everyone possible".  The level of quality is where it's at.
i care because i want to see well written material again, which no offense to anyone hasnt really happned in the wotc era as compared to the tsr days. so if it takes a little trip back in time to get the feel and quality back then i am all for it.
the "4vengers"1 -- the ones that just want 5e to fail because it's not 4e, not anyone who somehow identifies with the monkier without being a zealot -- and posted positive content and constructive criticism, they'd probably go away after a while.

I'd like to point out that I don't want 5e to fail because it's not 4e. 4e had some major faults. I don't want a reprint of 4e. That's silly, I still have my 4e books, why would I need reprints? I don't want a 4.5 (although to be fair, I wouldn't be complaining if it happened). I don't want everybody to play 4e. I don't care what other people play at their table. If they're having fun, great. I can't say that I care all that much, but that's what needs to happen for D&D to stay alive and competitive.

I want a 5e that somebody that plays BECMI, 2e, 3e, or 4e can enjoy.

I haven't been playing a 'currently supported' version of D&D since early in 3rd edition. Once I realized 3rd wasn't the type of D&D I preferred we left it for earlier versions. 4th was a no go from the start as well. So it's been 12 years since I've been able to look forward to new products, or connect with players at a con, or see an influx of new players. That's what I want again...to be a part of the current hobby, and to get new products.

Amen!

Although, I never played any 3rd Edition and played 4th Edition exclusively while I was able to be a WPN coordinator/DM. Now I DM exclusively D&D Next Playtest material. 

OK. That sounds great. And I want all three of you and everyone else to come back as well.

As I said I started with 2nd edition, and I moved on with the editions as they came out.

Can any of you tell me why so many around here act as though in order for people like you who didn't change editions can be able to come back people like me who did must be cast out?

If you didn't like a new edition and know how bad that felt why is there so much delight around here for others to feel the same with next?

Please come back! But don't shove me out to do it!

And as a side note because I've responses about "irreconcilable differences" just because you can't conceive of a game we could all enjoy that doesn't mean one can't exist, WoTC can't make it, and it shouldn't be tried for.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

I care about DDN in reference to being a reflection of D&D past, and taking those features in a new direction to move the game forward. But this also means a reflection on D&D business practices, and learning from previous mistakes in regards to creating adventures, offering third party support, and related items. What I do not want is a focus on repeating history for the sake of nostalgia. It is a quick fix to a much larger problem.

Amen!

OK. That sounds great. And I want all three of you and everyone else to come back as well.

As I said I started with 2nd edition, and I moved on with the editions as they came out.

Can any of you tell me why so many around here act as though in order for people like you who didn't change editions can be able to come back people like me who did must be cast out?

If you didn't like a new edition and know how bad that felt why is there so much delight around here for others to feel the same with next?

Please come back! But don't shove me out to do it!

And as a side note because I've responses about "irreconcilable differences" just because you can't conceive of a game we could all enjoy that doesn't mean one can't exist, WoTC can't make it, and it shouldn't be tried for.

This is very well said.  I think the designers are not meaning to alienate anyone, though, even if there are many instances of individuals "hating 4E" or wanting to push its fans out.  I think you will be able to play a 4th edition character in anyone's game for D&D Next, as if you walk in with your own character sheet and player's handbook.  You will be able to sit right down alongside people using different editions that are their personal favorites.
In reality the developers must alienate the entire play base to some degree, if prominent features from different versions of D&D are to be present in 5E. It is the avoidance of that fact, that creates an equally untenable set of circumstances. Either way it is about including as many features as possible, even if some of those features are options, or are presented in a smaller scope, that does not have a broad impact in the game.
Please, everyone, be optimistic and don't take such a jaded view.
I care because we've been playing D&D since 1978 and we are very comfortable with how it works. We've worked through all the edition changes, and liked parts of each and disliked parts of each. We just ignored or changed what we didn't like and kept going.

What do I want out of 5e? I want a 5e that somebody that currently plays 1e, 2e, 3e, or 4e can enjoy. 5e has the potential to introduce new mechanics and to build on older mechanics to give us new and different things to try. Will we house-rule things? Based on the packets so far, yes. Is that bad? No! I think the designers pretty much expect that. They can't cover all the bases for all the millions of people who play it, and they know it. It's a cool idea, but I think it's unreasonable to expect. There are just too many options to include in a book that's smaller than an encyclopaedia and more affordable than jewellery from Tiffany's.

House rules don't mean the system is bad or broken or won't work. It simply means that I have a different idea for how something works. Heck, we've been house-ruling things right from the start. Didn't stop us from playing, and it didn't mean we didn't like the game. (If we didn't like it, why are we still playing it?)

So -- 5e, I'll keep playtesting and providing feedback until Wizards closes the playtest phase, and I'll buy the initial books to see what the final product looks like. Crossing my fingers for lots of modularity, lots of ways to customise the game to suit a number of play styles and edition preferences.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

I care because D&D is offering me the opportunity to collaborate on the game in a formative capacity, and because a new beginning offers the promise of new experiences.

I also feel that the game is being redrafted in such a way as to afford the easiest means of entry it has boasted in its history, so I'm excited to be a part of the promise made to get new people into the game.

What do I want out of it? Memories.

Danny

Sign In to post comments