Any rules about hiring a ritual caster?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone know of any rules for hiring an NPC to cast a ritual in 4th edition?

I know you can buy the scroll of a ritual for the market price and just do it yourself. But I was wondering if there were any rules for just hiring an NPC to do it for you. I couldn't find anything, so I'm stumped.

-abs
The book Mordenkainen's Magnificient Emporium has some stuff on hirelings. It includes a chart of their daily price, which is adjusted depending on their occupation. You could use those as guidelines. Its not the best way to do it, but its workable.
IIRC paying someone to do the ritual costs half again the normal component price of doing the ritual, but that might be an LFR-specific house rule.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
IIRC paying someone to do the ritual costs half again the normal component price of doing the ritual, but that might be an LFR-specific house rule.

Pretty sure that's a house rule.  Think about how obscene the price would get on anything with a variable cost.  It would, for example, completely prevent anyone from ever using Enchant Magic Item, especially at high levels- really, going from a +4 to a +5 item is going to cost an extra 100k plus gold because you don't have a 175gp scroll around?

OP- there aren't any rules for it.  If you want to charge a percentage then go ahead.  Otherwise, you could charge the market price + compnent price, or maybe slightly more.  Finally, you could just consider calling it the component price- say that the professional ritualist is more used to it than your guy who's off shooting fireballs at folks most of the time (or iceballs, or illusions, or whatever). 
masteraleph are you implying that making your +4 into a +5 item would only cost you 175 gp for the scroll in question ?
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Blast. I didn't think there were any rules, but I was hoping someone would prove me wrong.

Ah well, thanks folks.

-abs
masteraleph are you implying that making your +4 into a +5 item would only cost you 175 gp for the scroll in question ?

To the best of my understanding, if you do Enchant Magic Item to upgrade an item, and you have the ritual in your ritual book, it should cost you the difference in components.  For example, going from a level 17 item to a level 22 item should cost you 325000 (for a level 22 item) - 65000 (for a level 17 item), for a total of 260000 gp.  That all has to be in residuum or alchemical reagents.  If you don't have the ritual, you should, to the best of my understanding, be able to use a ritual scroll of Enchant Magic Item, which should cost you 175gp (essentially negligible cost by epic tier, but more expensive at lower levels).  That is of course in addition to the component cost.

According to thespaceinvader's formula of +50% of the component cost, which I quoted in my post, it would cost an extra 130000gp to do the ritual,  for a total of 390000gp (65000 more than the actual cost of a level 22 item).  That seems rather absurd.  In fact, it would always cost more to use Enchant Magic Item through an intermediary, according to this rule, than to buy the item, since the difference for an item of level X and level X-5 is always much less than the price of X.  I don't really have a problem with a DM saying "the mage charges you 1000gp" when you're in epic tier, rather than 175gp for a ritual scroll, but the market price on the scroll is 175gp, and I don't see anywhere that this changes.

Obviously, there are some rituals you don't want people doing for you, or even knowing that you have.  Fool's Gold would seem a ritual that you would only want in your ritual book, given its less than honest purposes.  Enchant Magic Item, though, doesn't seem to suffer this problem.
If you found someone to perform a ritual for you, that person could either perform the ritual himself, or make a scroll for you so you can peform the ritual yourself.

You normally can buy a ritual scroll for the same price as the ritual market price. Per the RC, "Buying a Ritual Scroll: Like a ritual book, a ritual scroll can be purchased for the given market price."

Creating a ritual scroll takes twice the amount of time as creating a ritual book. Creating a ritual book takes time: 8 hours for a heroic tier ritual (1st–10th level), 16 hours for a paragon tier ritual (11th–20th level), and 24 hours for an epic tier ritual (21st–30th level).

That means this person you found could take all the time (16-48 hours) to make the ritual scroll for you, and then sell you the scroll for the market price. (Assuming they are selling the scroll at market price of course.)

Or they can just cast the ritual right then and there for you, using their own ritual book to cast it, no cost to create a new scroll so pure profit for them, and probably taking much less time than it would take to create the scroll for you.

So it seems reasonable to me that the NPC would almost never charge you more than the market price to cast the ritual for you, assuming you pay the component cost or provide the components.

To the best of my understanding, if you do Enchant Magic Item to upgrade an item, and you have the ritual in your ritual book, it should cost you the difference in components.  For example, going from a level 17 item to a level 22 item should cost you 325000 (for a level 22 item) - 65000 (for a level 17 item), for a total of 260000 gp.  That all has to be in residuum or alchemical reagents.  If you don't have the ritual, you should, to the best of my understanding, be able to use a ritual scroll of Enchant Magic Item, which should cost you 175gp (essentially negligible cost by epic tier, but more expensive at lower levels).  That is of course in addition to the component cost.

According to thespaceinvader's formula of +50% of the component cost, which I quoted in my post, it would cost an extra 130000gp to do the ritual,  for a total of 390000gp (65000 more than the actual cost of a level 22 item).  That seems rather absurd.  In fact, it would always cost more to use Enchant Magic Item through an intermediary, according to this rule, than to buy the item, since the difference for an item of level X and level X-5 is always much less than the price of X.  I don't really have a problem with a DM saying "the mage charges you 1000gp" when you're in epic tier, rather than 175gp for a ritual scroll, but the market price on the scroll is 175gp, and I don't see anywhere that this changes.

Obviously, there are some rituals you don't want people doing for you, or even knowing that you have.  Fool's Gold would seem a ritual that you would only want in your ritual book, given its less than honest purposes.  Enchant Magic Item, though, doesn't seem to suffer this problem.

thanks for clearing that up, I wanted to make sure we were on the same page and you seem to know exactly how this all works
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Sign In to post comments