[M14-ICD] Garruk, Caller of Beasts

118 posts / 0 new
Last post
Garruk

(Left, normal art; Right, SDCC Promo)

Garruk, Caller of Beasts

Planeswalker - Garruk (M)

+1: Reveal the top 5 cards of your library. Put all creature cards revelaed this way into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

-3: You may put a green creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.

-7: You get an emblem with "Whenever you cast a creature spell you may search your library for a creature card, put it onto the battlefield then shuffle your library.

Source: MTV Geek
Whaa? Source?
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
Just updated OP with text and a link to the source, it's an official preview.
first unplayable Garruk?
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I'm gald that I was right in saying that we'd get a 6 mana Garruk before we got a 3 mana one.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Well hot damn. He is expensive to cast, and doesn't really do a heck of a lot. Maybe it's time to hang up the helmet, big guy.
I'll take it.
I'm not much of a green player. But this will see a LOT of casual play.
In what? Elves Elves Elves Elves.
6 mana? Use elves.
+1? Get more elves.
-3? Welp, there's always some large stuff in elf decks.
-7? Remember what I said about spamming elves and playing large creatures?

Not my kinda card though.  (Not outside of EDH, that is.)
The Promo art is great.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

I want a promo art one just because holy **** that looks awesome.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

I want a promo art one just because holy **** that looks awesome.

If only! I dig the vector-y style. That would make quite a splash in a deck if you whipped one of those out at an FNM.
Promo art and overall design is Fantastic! Can't wait to see the other four. 

The card mechanics though, ugh...... 
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
first unplayable Garruk?

It's not what you might expect for a spike, but this card is very playable.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
that promo art is beautiful
edh fun! 6 manas to cheat out progenitus, craterhoof, worldspine wurm, sigarda, host of herons

I guess it's like quicksilver but cost 2 less, but 1 time use.
I think this is a real step down from Primal Hunter, but far beyond the playability threshold. For those unawares "put" means that you aren't casting, and thus WotC has free reign to print good counterspells because there is a counterplay through Garruk's -3.  This Garruk's +1 is what makes him great, but I feel even with two super-powerful abilities, the card draw from Primal Hunter made :G: Control a real thing. I feel that this guy will produce plenty of CA in it's own right, but it doesn't want to be played with removal and utility.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I'm thoroughly disappointed with the alternatives to the mail-out promos that Wizards has come up with, and now that something is an actual real card and not a token or a paper box they're going to be likely-extremely limited special arts of already-popular cards that only a tiny fraction of the tiniest fraction of players will have access to, and slightly more when those players and non-players undoubtedly put them up for sale.

Frown town, wizards.  EXTREME frown town.
Timmy got a new friend! Time to spam fatties hard!

Too slow&expensive for legacy. I think elves would be the only deck that could make greater use of it but already has better draw engines and with Natural Order a more reliable kill.
Ugh convention promos the spawn of evil. Welp that is one way to get people to care about the Planeswalkers from M14. This also gives me very little hope for Chandra...
Timmy got a new friend! Time to spam Worldspine Wurms hard!

Too slow&expensive for legacy. I think elves would be the only deck that could make greater use of it but already has better draw engines and with Natural Order a more reliable kill.

Worldspine isn't for Timmy. It's nigh uncastable without extreme ramp and it's size/cost ratio isn't silly enough.  It's a much more complex card than on it's surface.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
The wurm was just the first example of a big green fatty that crossed my mind. PreRTR it would've been Krosan Cloudscraper.
This Garruk however certainly is a Timmy card in the spirit of Elvish Piper and friends imo.
the print is too small

pull it

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
domri rade

this guy

mana dorks
mana thinner dorks 
bloodrush

some possibilities there no? 
the planes walker format presents a legitimate way to get a lot of diversity onto one card

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
I wouldn't dis this yet. Since Theros is going to be about gods, there's a very good chance of getting some powerful mana ramp and high CMC creatures like in Rise of the Eldrazi.
Interesting card. But how good is Call of Beasts really?

+1: Very good ability especially the fact that you can take all revealed creatures and not just one. It doesn't directly protect Garruk by creating a token, etc. but there should be other creatures around who do that for him. Searching for more and more creatures should not be underestimated.

-3: This ability reminds me of [C]Burning-Tree Emissary[/C]. If you do not use Garruk's +1 after casting him then you do this and get a free creature. So for 6mana you get a planeswalker with 1 loyalty and creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. Of course this is only true for the turn you get him out. Overall I like this ability. Nice synergy with +1.

-7: Pretty awesome ultimate but just like most other ultimates you won't be able to do it very often.

Overall I would say he's good and he will see play in standard. Without the 10 Checklands, [C]Farseek[/C], [C]Arbor Elf[/C], etc. the format will be slower which means high CMC cards have a bigger chance of seeing play. And who does not want to play a card drawing beast like Garruk 4.0?

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I'm not gonna say he's unplayable.  Garruk has always seemed to find a way to see constructed play even when people weren't sure he would.
+1 Lead the Stampede  is pretty awesome. 
-3 Dramatic Entrance   is very good.
-7 With abilities like ^these^ who cares. 
He's a very good card, 6 mana may keep him from competitive formats, but idk.  In a heavily creature based deck, his draw will be more powerful (repeatable) than Garruk, Primal Hunter, and for only 1 more mana.  I'd like to try this card out.  
Also, even though he's completely creature centered, it's strange that as "Caller of Beasts" this Garruk is the first to not make tokens.  Promo art is super sick too btw.   
My Standard Elf Combo deck just might be stupid now. Ramp out Garruk, draw 3-5 Elves, next turn combo off, get a free Craterhoof or Soul of the Harvest mid-combo.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Seems good for Modern with Alara cards like Hellkite Overlord.
Timmy got a new friend! Time to spam fatties hard!

agreed. Still seems like a really fun card for casual play.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4025591

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

According to the source, all five core 'walkers will have SDCC promo art like that.  I want an Ajani, Caller of the Pride looking like that. 5/5 would bang.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
This Garruk's going to be in the same set as Elvis Mystic. I think that he could definitely see play in a deck with good mana ramp, and Ravnica has plenty of fatties for him to put into play.
Hey, it's a slightly better Chandra Ablaze!  Worst Garruk yet. 
What is SDCC and where can I get playsets of each walker?!!?!
What is SDCC and where can I get playsets of each walker?!!?!

"Wizards of the Coast has revealed to MTV Geek that at Hasbro ToyShop in San Diego Comic-Con they will be offering a limited edition collection of "Magic: The Gathering" 2014's Planeswalker cards. The five cards will be presented with unique black-on-black art by Steve Prescott, variants of those found in the core Magic 2014 set. Below you will find both the Magic 2014 and the SDCC version of Garruk.
...pics from page one...

The full cast of Magic 2014's planeswalkers are:

- Ajani, Caller of the Pride
- Jace, Memory Adept
- Chandra, Pyromaster
- Liliana of the Dark Realms
- Garruk, Caller of Beasts

Players will be able to see the planeswalkers and more of the Magic 2014 set within the "Magic 2014: Duels of the Planeswalkers" video game being released later this week for PC, iOS, Android, Xbox, and PS3. The Magic 2014 core set will be released July 19. San Diego Comic Con will be held on July 18 to 21."
Then it shows a really nifty looking black and grey box with a fiery looking planeswalker logo on it.  So it's a 5 card FTV but of the M14 walkers?  

That really sucks. They will probably cost twice the normal price or more
That really sucks. They will probably cost twice the normal price or more

There is a guy preselling a couple of the boxes on Ebay for $250 buy-it-now.  Get 'em while they're cheap.  
50$ a card is not worth it. I could just draw that myself.
Another decent walker for Animar, but I would rather play Domri Rade.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I really must run this Garruk in my Animar deck, he is just to synergistic not to.
the image of pulling off his ultimate then casting memnite to find emrakul will drive me to buy this. likely? nope. but hilarious

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)