"Before the end of your turn" clearification

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
In my group, the phrase "before the end of your turn" is common place for getting off bunches of creature abilities and artifacts abilities before their untap phase. Perfectly legal and legit to do this in my end phase. However!

Lets say I have myself a Grand Abolisher in place. Clearly they cannot do much "before the end of my turn." But what about "In responce to my untap phase?" Before they uptap, can a player cook off instances and artifacts with something like the Abolisher in place? Or does the untapping of permenants signal the start of a players turn?
Before anyone can help, you gotta deck list your post. Go back and edit your post.
becomes You can also [c.]Forest[/c.] a card, minus the periods. So it reads Forest. Click quote on my post to see how I used that code if you're confused.
No, that doesn't work.

"In response to that" isn't official Magic terminology. However, it's generally accepted to mean "while that is on the stack." No player is able to do anything during an untap phase. The earliest something can be done on a turn is in the upkeep step, when anything that triggers "at the beginning of your upkeep" is on the stack.
Noone gets priority during the untap step. The active player just decides which permanent untaps (usually each he controls), there's some other step for phasing (but who cares about that, blahblahblah), then we go forward to the upkeep where abilities which should trigger there, trigger there, are put on the stack and THEN the active player gets priority waaaaaaay after the untap step.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

The active player just decides which permanent untaps (usually each he controls),

Misleading at best - there is usually no choice involved. Everything the active player controls untaps unless something specifically says otherwise, even if the active player would prefer it to be otherwise for some reason.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
This is going to be interesting to discuss with my group when it comes up.
Before anyone can help, you gotta deck list your post. Go back and edit your post.
becomes You can also [c.]Forest[/c.] a card, minus the periods. So it reads Forest. Click quote on my post to see how I used that code if you're confused.
If your opponents wish to do something to one of your permanents to prevent an upkeep trigger, the latest they can do so is during the preceding player's end step.
...what about "In responce to my untap phase?" Before they uptap, can a player cook off instances...

116.3a (...) No player receives priority during the untap step...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.      -Albert Einstein

So, you keep on voting, and you keep on expecting different results from those elections?

How long have you been doing this, over and over again?

Ain't it time you reached a different conclusion about this whole masquerade?

Also..
500.11. No game events can occur between turns, phases, or steps.

so they do it on your turn during your end step or on their own turn in their upkeep after the triggers have triggered

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

The active player just decides which permanent untaps (usually each he controls),

Misleading at best - there is usually no choice involved. Everything the active player controls untaps unless something specifically says otherwise, even if the active player would prefer it to be otherwise for some reason.

It may be misleading but it is, roughly, how it is worded in the rules.

Rules Advisor

How to autocard :

Your comment was misleading because of two reasons:
1) it is inaccurate: using the word «decides» instead of the word «determines» makes quite a rough difference
2) it is inappropriate: being unable to untap something is an exceptional situation; mentioning such corner-case scenarios only brings more confusion.
502. Untap Step
502.1. (...) “Phasing.”
02.2. Second, the active player determines which permanents he or she controls will untap. Then he or she untaps them all simultaneously. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack. Normally, all of a player’s permanents untap, but effects can keep one or more of a player’s permanents from untapping.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.      -Albert Einstein

So, you keep on voting, and you keep on expecting different results from those elections?

I'm not sure what Chaikov means by a "rough difference", but he's right that the word the rules use is "determines", which is quite different from "decides". "Decides" clearly indicates a choice is being made, "determines" has no such implication (not that that stops the occasional person from reading it that way).
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
I'm not sure what Chaikov means by a "rough difference"

Playfully hinting at Zoidberg's own words:

I'm not sure what Chaikov means by a "rough difference", but he's right that the word the rules use is "determines", which is quite different from "decides". "Decides" clearly indicates a choice is being made, "determines" has no such implication (not that that stops the occasional person from reading it that way).

Alright for the verb being used inaccurate, it says so in the rules, I thus stand corrected. I'll blame it on my haste to answer and the fact that english's not my main language (I still stand corrected though).

As for the second point, it says so in the rules too so I will abide to it. Magic rules is a game of corner case and exceptions, better learn them noobs right away. ;)

Rules Advisor

How to autocard :

Sign In to post comments