deva paladin re-build

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hy guys, I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this is the wrong area for this. I'm new to 4th edition too, althought I'm an old D&D player (since 1990), so I had a little trouble with this edition...
To make a long story short, my character is a Deva paladin, we started or campaign with a good number of players, each of us in his role. thiefling swordmage, half orc barbarian, human monk, elf cleric, human warlord and a dragonborn wizard.
But. The warlord and the cleric retired soon, but only after we already created our characters, so I started taking feats and powers to make life easier for the party. And Iscrewed up enough.
The actual party is:
1defender, thiefling swordmage
1 controller, dragonborn wizard
2 strikers, human monk and half orc barbarian

NOTE: I dont't want to be a pure leader... just a little more healing and help to other chars!
I'm filling the lack of leader, so below we have my actual build (at level 4, my actual level). Could someone give some suggestion for this atipical build, please? I've read a number of suggestion in the forums, and made my adjustments, but this is a rare occurrence, so... I need to be the healer/leader, but for my personal enjoiment I'd like to be acceptable also in melee somehow.... what do you suggest?

here's my build:

Aelias Deva Paladin

abilities:
str 14
con 14
dex 10
int 8
wis 16
cha 19
(racial cha and wis, 4th level cha and str)

feats
houserule: blessed by dreams
level1: devoted paladin (more healing, more effective)
level2: student of battle (to heal at distance)
level4: novice power (maybe i screwed up with this? I could retrain at level 5)

powers:
lay on hands
Paladin at-will 1: strike of hope
Paladin at-will 1: virtuos strike
encounter1: vengeance is mine (warlord)
daily1: majestic halo
utility2: bless weapon
encounter3: righteous smite
(i think to take name of might at 5th)

others:
inspiring word
divine mettle
divine strength

items, important, we don't have wishlist and the rule is finders keepers (so I thought to use broadsword instead of longsword to avoid duplicate equipment among the characters longsowrd was already taken by the swordmage)
body: black iron plate armor +1
main hand: lifedrinker brodasword +1 (why lifedrinker? i found it...)
off hand: heavy shield
arms: bracers of mental might
waist: stalwart belt
others: battle standard of healing

ok, guys, this is all, any advice?

Thank you in advance
A.

Have you considered being a battle cleric instead?  You can still take enabling and buffing powers (leader), have a number of healing options, and be adequate in melee with your bashing implement.  The paladin isn't really designed as an enabler or to provide buffs, so you're essentially relegating yourself to a mostly ineffective paladin defender on top of the defender you already have.
well, the problem is that i can't change character at this point (and frankly I don't want him to die), so, there are only two ways... ignore the party needs or the one above....  btw I don't think it's going too bad this way... I can always retrain wrong chiches as it couls be "novice power" and trade it for something better... well, shoul my character die (hope not), I'd create a new one but it's annother matter.
A
You can't change the character?  As in, can't change its class but can retrain anything you'd like, or can't change it at all outside of retraining one thing each level?  If it's the latter, it will wake a bit to undo those choices.

At this level the Swordmage isn't the beefiest defender around and doesn't have all of its toys for defending against groups of enemies.  You could just build a solid charisma paladin, be a wall and hit decently hard (considering the level).
Aelias.  What do you want to do ?  Do you want to be the leader for your party ?  Ignore everyone else, what do you want to actually do ?  If you want to be the party leader, have a serious talk with your DM and explain that since the leaders left the group, you would like to take up the role and remake your character.  the cleric is the closest to what you seem to be going for, very high AC, support and buffing + healing.  You can still get vengeance is mine if you want.

If you don't want to be the leader of the group, then I would recommend you stop hurting your character and gimping yourself and instead have everyone in the group work together.  Every class has ways to heal itself.  Second Wind of course but also utility powers or items.  If you don't want to be the leader then you shouldn't be shouldering the burden of keeping everyone alive on your own.  That's nice of you, but not very fun.  Have a talk with your group and explain how you feel and that you need to have fun too !

Decide what you want and go for it. 
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Noctaem is dead on here. But I would add that in my experience (others would disagree, surely, especially when it comes to controllers) it's more fun to play the game with the 4 roles covered and so remaking your character as a Cleric with your DM's permission is the better option. But if that's not cool for whatever reason, don't gimp yourself: make a great paladin and defend for all you're worth!
Noctaem is dead on here. But I would add that in my experience (others would disagree, surely, especially when it comes to controllers) it's more fun to play the game with the 4 roles covered and so remaking your character as a Cleric with your DM's permission is the better option. But if that's not cool for whatever reason, don't gimp yourself: make a great paladin and defend for all you're worth!

At the risk of causing AOL flashbacks to those of a certain age, me too!

It's a game and games should be fun.  Contorting your character into something you didn't originally intend to play doesn't sound all that fun.  If you think about your character not in terms of class, but rather as "a big guy in heavy armor who carries a sword and prays to his god," then transforming from a Paladin to a Battle Cleric isn't much of a switch at all.  If your DM is absolutely dead set against you playing that character you want to play (and you decide to still play in this game), then play to the Paladin's strengths and just go straight Chaladin defender.  There are some threads in the stickies about 2-defender parties that might give you some ideas.
Ok, sorry guys, maybe I dodn't explain well. By the way thak you all for your opnions. We're in the middle of the campaign, I don't want to make a new character when this one already has his history... he's already me. And I simply love paladins. I don't want to create a new character, I don't want to be a leader. Only heal a bit more and give a little more supporto to allies, not becoming a true leader.
Is the way I'm doing it enough good? Could I do better? are powers or feats I choose totally crap? Wich ones? (I can retrain 1 feat/power per level, yes). For example, inspiring word is the only way someone in our group can range heal. But maybe I don't need the warlord novice power, a simple switch could not be compared to the bonuses that devout protector expertise give. Any advice is appreciated, but please let's keep this discussion about the existing character, not about a new one, thanks
A.
A cha/wis paladin can have quite a few healing powers.  I'd take all of the encounter/daily/utility power that heal.  You have 3 uses of Lay on Hands and save granting channel divinity, that should be enough.  Since this is a home campaign, your DM will likely balance the challenge properly.  Have there been any particular situations where you wished you had done something different?  Have you looked at the paladin guide?  Using your personal experience and the guide, you should be able to come to the optimized solution.  Another option is to just pick things that fit the character, you seem to know what he "should" be like, pick powers that fit his persona.
Yeah just play a regular cha/wis Paladin.  They're certainly powerful and have plenty of healing options as is between Lay on Hands and various powers.  Since you'll also be a solid defender, your group probably won't need heavy healing anyway.  Healing is really a secondary aspect of a Leader's role.  Their primary is preventing damage through helping apply the Dead status effect.

I would drop all three of your feats and pick up things that help you be a better Paladin.  Look into the Paladin handbook for a good start: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
grabbing an expertise feat is a good place to start.  the one called Devout Protector Expertise is the one I would recommend for you if you're a sword and shield paladin.  As others have said, I would rework your feats.  Though I see you have a houseruled feat in there, I'm guessing you can't retrain that one ?  

As I said earlier, at this point since you've chosen what you actually want to do with your character, you should have a talk with your party and explain what is fun for you and what is not.  As a paladin you have lay on hands to heal people and there's also items and second wind.  Other people should each grab some extra healing for themselves or to use on others.  You should not be the only one with the responsibility to keep everyone else alive.  Work together.

The handbook that kirbfucius linked you is a great source to learn what works for a paladin and what doesn't.  Just remember that the handbook doesn't take into account fluff or roleplaying, it's main focus is the mechanical side of the game.  So check out what it suggests and see if it matches what you want out of your character.

GL HF
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

OK lets see. A few suggestions. Have a look and see if I make any sense or not. ;)

I see you have take Strike of Hope. I asume for the temp hitpoints, but it's a strength attack so the problem is that it will miss to often to be really reliable. The -2 of enfeebling strike would probably be better for you. An enemy that doesn't hit doesn't do damage afterall. ;)

The warlords encounter power is definately a fun one, but you have an awesome encounterpower in Valorous Smite on lvl1. I would definately take VS if I were you. If they aren't attacking your allies they can't damage them if they do attack they'll miss more often and so do less damage to your allies.

As for your feats first you could look at Devout Protector Expertise because a lot of your attacks only work if they hit so you want to hit often plus it gives your allies a +1 shield bonus to AC making it even harder for team monster to hit (Muhahaha xD  ).  You said you wanted to be able to heal aswell so you could also look at Lend Health. How good it is ofcourse depends how much higher your healing surge is in comparisen to the rest of the party, but it also works on powers you get through a multi class to cleric for example so it's a good feat to keep in mind.

For the rest you should read the paladins guide. It has some great feat suggestions for you there. Hope my suggestions helped a bit ;)
Very well, this is going to be really useful, thank you all.
Ok, I see very good advices here, Devout Protector Expertise, i think I'll retrain the wardlord novice power to take this. Lend healt wouldn't be as useful though, my healing surge value for now is only 1 point more than others (except the wizard but he's always out of range, he casts from behind using his familiar). What do you think of deva heritage feat instead? (I can't retrain the houseruled feat - is a bonus from the DM). For the encouter power lvl1, I think I could take one on strength, with my bracers of mental might once per encounter I can use cha in place of str so this could be the case, but wich power? Is there a better power based on str that's encounter or daily on wich I could apply this with better results?

To clarify further, yes, the dm balanced the gameplay after those two retired, the main problem that remains is that the monk tends to be in the middle of the fight with a low AC... also, magic items are RANDOM (see I have a lifedrinker sword....?)!!! I don't know if power of the sun (is this the name? to give radiant vulnerability) is worth due the fact I'm the only one with radiant damage.... I'd Like (but it's not mandatory, and it's also too early) to take Sainted general as PP.
Thank you for your advices, further ones will be also gladly accepted!
A.
The CHA build has more than enough good powers that you don't need to dip into the STR build's set at all, especially not via Bracers of Mental Might, which compete for your Arms slot with Iron Armbands of Power.

Valourous Smite should be your go-to encounter power at l1.  Daily, IIRC, is Majestic Halo.  Have you read the handbook?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
thank you spaceinvader, but as I said, magial items are random and the rule is finders keepers, so atm I'll use the braces of mental might and I think I could do something good with those. I don't even know if I'll have the slightest chance to find the iron armbands and if they would even go to my character! I have an encounter chance to use a str power as it was a cha power, so, WHY NOT? (I asked if there's a str power worth, simply), yes, I've read the guide, but, as I said, this is a special situation. I was wondering about majestic halo, but like all of you said, I'll keep it. Yes' Ive read the handbook but I also know there's a lot of powers not in the handbooks ( Idon't even have all the handbooks!!!), so even if I read the guides I don't know all the alternatives... maybe I should have said this before....
A.
Well the item is an encounterpower, so you could take a str-encounterpower you like and just say you always use it with the item power. 

On lvl 1 the cha powers just seem so much better then the str powers and Righteous Smite on lvl 3 really fits with what you wanted to do. Still if you do have such an item it would be a waste not to use it so the lvl 3 encounterpower Winter's Edge would be the power I would have a look at. Immobilize a monster and then shift away is pretty powerfull.

The problem you have to keep in mind when comparing though is that your attackroll would change to cha, but not your damage roll.
thank you spaceinvader, but as I said, magial items are random and the rule is finders keepers, so atm I'll use the braces of mental might and I think I could do something good with those. I don't even know if I'll have the slightest chance to find the iron armbands and if they would even go to my character! I have an encounter chance to use a str power as it was a cha power, so, WHY NOT? (I asked if there's a str power worth, simply), yes, I've read the guide, but, as I said, this is a special situation. I was wondering about majestic halo, but like all of you said, I'll keep it. Yes' Ive read the handbook but I also know there's a lot of powers not in the handbooks ( Idon't even have all the handbooks!!!), so even if I read the guides I don't know all the alternatives... maybe I should have said this before....
A.

Just to confirm, when you say you're read the handbook are you referring to the Players Handbook, the official D&D book, or the community-made handbook that I linked you to?  The one we are asking about is the community-made one that gives you a step-by-step on what you should consider picking.
My point entirely.  Read Pillars of Faith (and Facestabs) and get back to us.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
kirbfucius, all of the above, I took the "base" for the character and most of powers adn feats from there, well at the beginning I started with this: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...  (beacuse google gave me this result first...)
Bu tnow I've read also the link you posted
A.
Sign In to post comments