Wight of Precinct Six

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I put together a blue and black deck that is there to support Wight of Precinct Six by milling to put creatures in the graveyard then running a little control to slow down any aggro decks.

The whole goal of the deck is to get Wight of Precinct Six to a level where he just stomps on all the world. As more of a psychological means of defeating the aggro deck was the Shrieking Affliction which will make the aggro player think about emptying their hand. Dimir Charm is a good card here because of the early game control and it helps a little later with ramping up Wight by letting you choose 2 cards to put in the graveyard. Plus for 2 CMC you cant say it isn't cheap! Let me know what you think about improvements.  Thanks for your time.
A well-tuned aggro deck is perfectly capable of winning by T4. It doesn't seem to me that you would survive that long.

Some thoughts:

- Paralyzing Grasp is strictly worse than Murder, and you have many other black removal spells that I think are better.

- I was expecting to see something with Cipher when I saw Deathcult Rogue and Dimir Keyrune, but I don't, unless I'm missing something. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of those cards.

- Relying on four creatures as your wincon is a bit sketchy. You may want to add Jace's Phantasm.

What else to consider:

- Thought Scour and Mind Sculpt instead of Mind Rot and Shrieking Affliction

- Watery Grave and Drowned Catacombs

- A counterspell of your choice
Well I would first like to say congrats on breaking the mold and trying something new.

secondly I would like to focus your attention to the fact that there are other ways of getting cards in the grave as opposed to milling. I think you need more removal.

you may want to look at Crypt Ghast for a way to ramp up into Increasing Confusion or Mind Grind. Consuming Aberration should be a must.

cheap removal like Tragic Slip Victim of Night and Devour Flesh also need to be in here as it could be a couple of turns until Wraith gets big enough.
Your goal w/r/t mill should be to get 10 cards into your opponent's yard ASAP. Breaking // Entering is the best and cheapest way to get there quickly, and is perfectly complemented by Thought Scour.

Once you "get to 10", you can drop Phantasms and Wights outside of burn range and proceed with the beating. Desecration Demon and Consuming Aberration are some more undercosted beaters to consider, and if you run Demon, then Tragic Slip is your best removal option. It's pretty good anywat, though, because you should be forcing enough chump blocks to activate morbid fairly consistently.

Vampire Nighthawk also wants to be in here to shore up your consistency vs. aggro, because you won't always get your Wights/Phantasms online fast enough.
Between Wight of Precinct Six, Jace's Phantasm, and Consuming Aberration, I would say the latter is actually the weakest. If your opponent does not have a response, then it's great, but then you're probably winning anyway.
I can't believe I never thoughtabout adding in the cipher. I think something like Paranoid Delusions would work good in this case for that. I think adding in Consuming Aberration is a great idea because of the milling going on. If I cipher Paranoid Delusions onto the keyrune while its a creature then it just stays encoded, right? I'm pretty new. I'm trying to decide where to put in Consuming Aberration but I can only think of sloting it for Undercity Informer. I don't think this is the best choice however. Maybe just add it on top and have 63 or 64 cards total?
You don't want more than 60 cards. Also, while I was the one who said I didn't understand the role of Deathcult Rogue and Dimir Keyrune in the absence of cipher, that does not make cipher a good idea.
I assume this is a casual deck so I'll suggest cards for it. You should always state if you have budget or card availability restrictions so we know what cards to suggest for your deck. There is no reason not to play Watery Grave and Drowned Catacomb unless it's for those reasons.

Never go more than 60 cards.

Cards to cut:

Ogre Jailbreaker
Deathcult Rogue
Dimir Keyrune
Mind Rot
Undercity Informer
Killing Glare
Increasing Confusion

Cards to add:

Jace's Phantasm
Jace, Memory Adept
Murder
Appetitie for Brains/Duress
Mind Sculpt
Nephalia Drownyard 
Think Twice
Vampire Nighthawk
More lands (25-26)

Some cards like Increasing Confusion seem good for mill but its just a trap. You never want to tap all of your mana at sorcery speed to do something that won't effect the current board state at all. I think there are better options in card draw and spot removal. 
I agree that I could take quite possibly the entire back bone of this deck and make it into something completely different but that's not the point. I only want to mill enough to where I can pop down Wight of Precinct Six and basically with the game. The ogres are there because they are really solid at keeping damage from going through. Increasing confusion would change the state of the board because of consuming aberration and wight of precinct six. Thus deck was a start in casual but I did put it in the standard help topic so you can guess where I want to take it.
The problem is, if you tried to take it into a competitive standard environment, even a fairly scrub heavy FNM, there are still over 50% of the players (at a bad shop...) who will either have a response by the time a weight or abberition was a threat or will just run you over by the time you can get there.  This type of strategy is fun a kitchen table, but in the kind of environment you're talking like you want to bring it to, it's just not going to have the results you are looking for, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  You've gotten a lot of really solid advice on how to make your winning strategy work, but if you're just wanting to mill half a deck and finish people off with creatures pumped by it, you are going to fall short every time.  It's the same reason why Primordial Hydra and Savageborn Hydra are just bad in the current meta.  They are too slow to be any 'real' threat.
You can a 30/30 Wight of Precinct Six but it just dies to Putrefy.

Now I'm not going to bring up the old "Dies to removal" argument, because that's not the point. Having a synergy with Wight is good, but putting all your eggs into that basket is bad.

The changes I suggested would allow you to attack from slightly different angles (as far as a Dimir Mill deck can probably go) without feeling like you have to win with a huge creature.

The fact that you think Ogre Jailbreaker is good at preventing damage indicates you really don't know the current metagame of standard or how competitive standard works at all. You'll be close to dead by the time you cast Ogre Jailbreaker against a solid aggro deck.

If you are mainly milling to grow your Wight, there's no reason not to run Mind Sculpt and Breaking over Increasing Confusion and Mind Grind. You really don't want to wait until the late game to make your 2-drop relevant.
I agree. The cancels spells are always going to be there and you can't really avoid that. I am pretty new to standard so that probably reason for my mistakes. I can see a Murder in there and definitely Mind Sculpt as well as some Vampire Nighthawks. I don't quite see the reason for the Appetite for Brains or Duress. If you could explain that one to me.
I tried a similar deck, thinking that Mind Grind would be great.  Most times, I spent 5 or 6 mana and got a similar effect to what Mind Sculpt or Breaking would have given me, and switched.

I find Mindshrieker to be an effective outlet for left over mana, and with luck it can be a great blocker/attacker.  I had also initially underestimated the usefulness of Nephalia Drownyard.

I an appreciate wanted to stay close to the vision you had for the deck, though I agree with most of the suggested changes.  If you're looking for a blocker to help you survive until you get a large Wight down, maybe Fog Bank over the heavy mana Ogres?
I like the idea of fog bank but why not Hover Barrier? One more mana and a lot more protection. Coupled with maybe a Crypt Ghast (even though it is a little too expensive) would mean pumping out a lot more of them quicker. Or with the same mana cost there is Doorkeeper and its ability is ok but I would need more defenders out for it to work really well.
I think the Doorkeeper fits the idea of the deck the best (and had completely forgotten about that as a two mana slot!), though probably will be about as effective as the Hover Barrer if you're willing to spend three mana.  Both are better options than the Ogre I think, becuase if you're spending 4 mana you should be getting something better!

If you decide to pick up the Ghasts, Mind Grind and Increasing Confusion become better than I stated before, though I still would probably use Mind Sculpt and Breaking over them.  If/when you decide to pick up shock lands (expensive, but great in so many decks so you'll probably get value out of them), Ghast is even more powerful. 
Yeah. I threw in some doorkeepers for the Ogre jailbreaker because I had them on hand but I will head to the card shop later this week and pick up some vampire nighthawks, mind sculpts, and murders. That should cover me for the time being to replace paralyzing grasp, killing glare, and mind rot. 
I agree. The cancels spells are always going to be there and you can't really avoid that. I am pretty new to standard so that probably reason for my mistakes. I can see a Murder in there and definitely Mind Sculpt as well as some Vampire Nighthawks. I don't quite see the reason for the Appetite for Brains or Duress. If you could explain that one to me.

Duress and Appetite for Brains are considered "disruption". Depending on what you're facing they can really help you get ahead if your opponent loses their win condition or their removal spell for your Wright.

This is the list I would use

Jace's Phantasm is a must, simply because you want redundancy. If you have 8 (effective) Wights, you don't need to worry so much if one happens to die.

Thought Scour is also perfect. In combination with Breaking, it hits the 10 cards needed for Phantasm.
You can also think of Duress as a way to get rid of your opponents removal that would be used on your Wight. So in essence you are eliminating your opponents threats. I included Deathrite shaman since your wight only cares about creatures in ur opponents grave you can use shaman to get direct damage through while you are milling them.
This whole discussion is, of course, predicated on your opponent having actual creatures to mill, and that your opponent is not relying on tokens and/or control. 
Hence Phantasm/Aberration being suggested by just about everybody!
Consuming Aberration is a more expensive more potent version Splinterfright. The good part about the horror is that if ur opponent does try to kill it you can counter with a Devour Flesh and gain life and mill them. So don't count it put just yet. There are some fun shenanigans that can be had.
Consuming Aberration is a more expensive more potent version Splinterfright. The good part about the horror is that if ur opponent does try to kill it you can counter with a Devour Flesh and gain life and mill them. So don't count it put just yet. There are some fun shenanigans that can be had.

It's been a while back since I've played with Aberrations, and that play just makes me happy.