Disarming Strike is unclear (Charge too)

Our Druid wanted to pick up Disarming Strike because she thought it would be cool to knock someone's weapon out of their hand as a bear (and I agree, that is cool). We couldn't figure out what is required to pick up a weapon off of the ground. It doesn't seem to provoke an opportunity attack, or grant advantage against the character picking up the weapon. Does it require an action? How is it different from the Trip Attack feat? It should be at least a little more powerful than trip attack because it can be used against a more limited range of enemies.

I'm also not too clear about Charge. You can already move and attack. Does charge just allow you to move even further before you attack? Is that really worth a feat?

While on the topic of movement and attacking - how does that work with two weapons? Can I move, attack, move, attack? 
Charge is an action that grants an additional move and attack on top of your regular move. So when you charge, you can move, move, attack. However, you cannot move, attack, move, attack. You can split up your move and attack in the middle of it, but you have to make all of your attacks during the same attack (unless you have an ability that allows otherwise, like the rogue's skirmish). The charge feat doesn't let you split up your attacks. When you charge, you have to complete your charge and then attack, in that order. But I think you can split your regular move and insert a charge in the middle of it and move, move, attack, move. Hope that makes sense.

As for disarming, currently it seems to take no action to pick up an item from the ground. If the disarmer has a free hand, they can immediately seize the weapon (which obviously wouldn't help if a bear was doing it). Otherwise it lands in the creature's space who was holding it, and they can pick it up on their next turn without provoking attacks of opportunity or using an action. It is unclear whether another person can enter their space and pick up the item from under them without consequence. A lot of these things are not clearly defined in the rules right now.

All in all, there is a lot of backlash against these two being feats and not just actions anyone can take, and I don't expect it to stay this way.
Hi,

This feels like a better fit for Playtest Packet Discussion, so I've moved it here.

Thanks!

Monica
I like having trip and disarm be feats rather than something anyone can do, but disarming strike certainly needs clarity. What if two characters go to pick up the item? Do they make a Dex contest? This should be defined, and disarm should be balanced with trip I think. Requiring an action to pick up the item would make disarming attack worth the feat slot. Probably how our group will run it, since there are so many monsters you can't disarm.

My question about attack move attack was more about two weapon fighting than charge, but you answered my question anyway.

Concerning charge, I haven't been in any battles yet where the opponents were more than 30 feet away, so charge seems pretty useless. I guess the DM could make more encounters that cover this kind of distance. Or, maybe charge should give you a bonus to your attack - the Barbarian's Reckless Strike seems like it would work well for charge, but some other unique bonus if you move at least 20 feet perhaps could help make this feat feel worth a slot. I don't mind if it never gets improved, I just probably won't pick it up and that's fine
Our Druid wanted to pick up Disarming Strike because she thought it would be cool to knock someone's weapon out of their hand as a bear (and I agree, that is cool). We couldn't figure out what is required to pick up a weapon off of the ground.

The description of disarming attack states that "If you succeed, the target drops one object in its space. If you have a hand free, you can pick up that object." (Specialties and Feats 060713, pg.7)

It doesn't seem to provoke an opportunity attack, or grant advantage against the character picking up the weapon. Does it require an action?

If she weren't in bear form, she could pick up the weapon as a free action as per the description of the feat.

Also, the description of using an item states that "Many of the other most common interactions with items—moving through a door that opens easily, picking up a scroll, and withdrawing a potion from your backpack—do not require an action at all. You are assumed to be able to incorporate such uses into your turn, while you move and take your action." (How to Play 060713, pg.14)

Since you're not activating a special ability of the sword, you are assumed to be able to incorporate picking it up into your turn.

How is it different from the Trip Attack feat?

It's different in that the benefit of trip attack imposes a condition (i.e. prone), and the target of trip attack can defend with his choice of two ability checks to contest with (i.e. Strength or Dexterity). Disarming attack does not impose a condition (aside from potentially leaving the target unarmed), and the defender is forced to use Strength in the contest. 

What if two characters go to pick up the item? Do they make a Dex contest? This should be defined, and disarm should be balanced with trip I think.

Yes, that scenario would call for a contest. The description of contests states that "Contests arise when two creatures attempt to do the same thing and only one can succeed, such as if both you and a bandit attempt to snatch up a magic ring that has fallen on the floor." (How to Play 060713, pg.1)

--

I see that you've worked your way through understanding this, but I wanted to do some referencing myself.

Danny

Since you're assumed to incorporate picking an object up into your turn, you can only pick things up on your turn.  So if the bear disarms a combatant and more than one character wants to pick the item up, the first person to get a turn in the initiative order after the item is dropped gets to pick it up, provided that character has enough movement to get to the object.  RAW, no contest is required.

"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Since you're assumed to incorporate picking an object up into your turn, you can only pick things up on your turn.  So if the bear disarms a combatant and more than one character wants to pick the item up, the first person to get a turn in the initiative order after the item is dropped gets to pick it up, provided that character has enough movement to get to the object.  RAW, no contest is required.

True!

Danny

Concerning charge, I haven't been in any battles yet where the opponents were more than 30 feet away, so charge seems pretty useless. I guess the DM could make more encounters that cover this kind of distance. Or, maybe charge should give you a bonus to your attack - the Barbarian's Reckless Strike seems like it would work well for charge, but some other unique bonus if you move at least 20 feet perhaps could help make this feat feel worth a slot. I don't mind if it never gets improved, I just probably won't pick it up and that's fine

Charge used to just be something anyone could do: if you were at least ten feet away from the target, move up to double your speed (but it must be in a straight, unobstructed line), attack with +2 to hit, and until your next turn take -2 to your AC as a result. It was very useful in 3rd edition.

Charge used to just be something anyone could do: if you were at least ten feet away from the target, move up to double your speed (but it must be in a straight, unobstructed line), attack with +2 to hit, and until your next turn take -2 to your AC as a result. It was very useful in 3rd edition.

Something like this would be a cool feat for D&DN. Since it's a feat, it could be all upside if you move at least a certain distance before you attack, similar to the Druid wild shape pounce ability. It could be an especially cool way to deal extra damage for Sword & Board. Maybe something like +1 to hit +1 damage?
Sign In to post comments