Color changing with Glamerdye, Vodalian Mystic and Moonlace

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
So let's say my opponent casts Shock on my White Knight
If I use Glamerdye to change Silver Knight's "protection from black" to "protection from red", will Shock still deal damage to Silver Knight?
Does Shock check for a legal target when it is cast, AND when it resolves?
Or does it only check for a legal target when it is cast?

Question about Vodalian Mystic:
If my opponent casts Shock and I cast a Guttural Response and I intend to use Vodalian Mystic to change Shock into a blue spell, will Guttural Response be able to counter it? Or will it fizzle because it could not target the Shock spell in the first place?

Alternatively, let's say I cast Unsummon and my opponent casts Guttural Response to it. If I cast Moonlace on my Unsummon spell, will Guttural Response fizzle? Does it check its target is legal as it is casted AND when it resolves? Or does it only check if it has a legal target when it is casted?

If you could provide official rulings, that would be great. Thanks!
So let's say my opponent casts Shock on my White Knight
If I use Glamerdye to change Silver Knight's "protection from black" to "protection from red", will Shock still deal damage to Silver Knight?
Does Shock check for a legal target when it is cast, AND when it resolves?
Or does it only check for a legal target when it is cast?

You won't get any damage.
Targets are checked when a spell is cast and also when it resolves.
The Shock will be countered ("fizzle") because its only target is now illegal.

Question about Vodalian Mystic:
If my opponent casts Shock and I cast a Guttural Response and I intend to use Vodalian Mystic to change Shock into a blue spell, will Guttural Response be able to counter it? Or will it fizzle because it could not target the Shock spell in the first place?

You have to do it in the other order.  It can't target the Shock, so you cannot cast it at all.  But, if you use the Mystic to change Shock to blue first, then you can cast the Gutteral Response on it.

Alternatively, let's say I cast Unsummon and my opponent casts Guttural Response to it. If I cast Moonlace on my Unsummon spell, will Guttural Response fizzle? Does it check its target is legal as it is casted AND when it resolves? Or does it only check if it has a legal target when it is casted?

The Gutteral Response will fizzle.

This is the main rule you are looking for, ediited for brevity

608. Resolving Spells and Abilities 

608.2b If the spell or ability specifies targets, it checks whether the targets are still legal.  [...] The spell or ability is countered if all its targets, for every instance of the word “target,” are now illegal. 

Targets are checked twice: when the spell is put on the stack and when the spell goes to resolve. If all of a spell's targets are illegal when the spell goes to resolve, then the spell is countered and none of its effects happen.

1. Shock is countered, since the White Knight now has protection from red. Since its countered, it won't deal any damage to the Knight.

2. You can do that, but not in that order. The Response requires a legal (a blue instant spell). In order to cast the Response on the Shock, you would first have to use the Mystic's ability to make the Shock red, then cast the Response (this is possible because the stack resolves one spell or ability at a time, not all at once. So you can activat the Mystic's ability, let that ability resolve, then cast the Response).

3. Yes. Since the Unsummon is now colorless, it is not a legal target for the Response, so the Response will be countered.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Ok great. Thanks everyone for replying.

I also have one more question:

if I use Glamerdye to change the "blue instant spell" to "red instant spell" on Guttural Response, I still wouldn't be able to counter the Shock spell because I'd have to cast Guttural Response to target Shock first before I could even cast Glamerdye? And I wouldn't be able to target Shock because it isn't blue?

Thanks
Ok great. Thanks everyone for replying.

I also have one more question:

if I use Glamerdye to change the "blue instant spell" to "red instant spell" on Guttural Response, I still wouldn't be able to counter the Shock spell because I'd have to cast Guttural Response to target Shock first before I could even cast Glamerdye? And I wouldn't be able to target Shock because it isn't blue?

Thanks

Correct.

Thank you very much!
I have a White Knight and I enchanted it with Armored Ascension
If I used Glamerdye to change its "protection from black" to "protection from white", will the Armored Ascension automatically be sent to the graveyard? Or will it remain because it only looks for a legal target when it is first cast?

Thanks
I have a White Knight and I enchanted it with Armored Ascension
If I used Glamerdye to change its "protection from black" to "protection from white", will the Armored Ascension automatically be sent to the graveyard? Or will it remain because it only looks for a legal target when it is first cast?

Thanks

"Protection from X" does four things:

Damage that would be dealt to the creature from X is prevented.
The creature cannot be Enchanted/Equipped by X.
The creature cannot be Blocked by X.
The creature cannot be Targeted by X.

The acronym to remember that is "DEBT."

Since the White Knight now has Protection from White, the white aura can no longer enchant it and is sent to the graveyard for enchanting an illegal object.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

Ok. Thank you very much (:

If I had Ceta Sanctuary and used Glamerdye twice to change all instances of "red" to "blue", and all instances of "green" to "blue", the card would say:

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control a red BLUE or green BLUE permanent, draw a card, then discard a card. If you control a red BLUE permanent and a green BLUE permanent, instead draw two cards, then discard a card.

So if I controlled only one blue permanent, which effect will I get? The effect of drawing a card and then discarding a card, or the effect of drawing two cards and then discarding a card? Or do I get both? The rules I read said that the ability will never let me draw three cards.
Does "blue and blue permanent" mean I have to control at least two permanents to get that effect or does one blue permanent fulfill the condition?

If I controlled two or more blue permanents, I assume I would get the second effect of drawing two cards and discarding one card? But I won't get the  first effect of drawing one card and discarding a card?

Thanks.
One should fulfil the condition for both.  See the ruling on Necra Sanctuary.  "One permanent that is both white and green will cause the player to be affected by the lose 3 life portion."

I'm kinda surprised they didn't put that ruling on all five sanctuaries' pages. 
Ah I see, thanks!
Could I use Glamerdye to change Devout Lightcaster's ability of "exile target black permanent" to exiling another color?
Does Devout Lightcaster's enter the battlefield ability activate immediately as I cast it? If so, does that mean Glamerdye will not be able to change Devout Light caster's "exile target black permanent" since its ability has already been put onto the stack as soon as I cast the card?

Thanks.
Actually, you can use Glamerdye on a Devout Lightcaster spell on the stack to change the text of its EtB trigger; that change will continue to apply to the permanent that spell becomes. You are correct in reasoning that changing the Lightcaster's text after the ability has already triggered will be ineffective.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Actually, you can use Glamerdye on a Devout Lightcaster spell on the stack to change the text of its EtB trigger; that change will continue to apply to the permanent that spell becomes. You are correct in reasoning that changing the Lightcaster's text after the ability has already triggered will be ineffective.

Hi Astarael7, so does the EtB ability go on the stack as soon as I cast the card? Because if it does, by the time I cast Glamerdye to change the text, it'll be too late?

Thanks.
Hi Astarael7, so does the EtB ability go on the stack as soon as I cast the card?

No. When you cast the card, you move it from your hand to the stack. The stack is the zone where spells temporarily go in order to give your opponent a chance to counter it... or to give you a chance to Glamerdye it. If there are no further responses to the Devout Lightcaster, it resolves and moves from the stack to the battlefield. This is when the lightcaster's ability triggers.
Oh I see, thanks.

Just for clarification, I'll reiterate what my understanding is now:

I cast Devout Lightcaster and give priority to my opponent
My opponent passes it back
Devout Lightcaster enters the battlefield and its ability triggers

If I want to change its enter the battlefield ability:

I cast Devout Lightcaster AND Glamerdye, targeting Devout Lightcaster, BEFORE passing priority to my opponent
My opponent passes priority back to me
Glamerdye resolves first, changing Devout Lightcaster's EtB ability
Devout Lightcaster enters the battlefield and its NEW ability triggers

Sounds right?
Correct.
Also, while you seem to have grasped this already - to clarify for others:
Note that as active player you cannot wait to see if they will counter your Devout Lightcaster before casting Glamerdye on it. By using this combo you are intrinsicly opening yourself up to a two for one.

116.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves.
116.3c If a player has priority when he or she casts a spell, activates an ability, or takes a special action,
that player receives priority afterward.
116.3d If a player has priority and chooses not to take any actions, that player passes. If any mana is in that player's
mana pool, he or she announces what mana is there. Then the next player in turn order receives priority.
116.4. If all players pass in succession (that is, if all players pass without taking any actions in between passing),

the spell or ability on top of the stack resolves or, if the stack is empty, the phase or step ends.
I cast Devout Lightcaster AND Glamerdye, targeting Devout Lightcaster, BEFORE passing priority to my opponent

There will be another exchange of priority here.
Devout Lightcaster enters the battlefield and its NEW ability triggers

Sounds right?

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

Correct.
Also, while you seem to have grasped this already - to clarify for others:
Note that as active player you cannot wait to see if they will counter your Devout Lightcaster before casting Glamerdye on it. By using this combo you are intrinsicly opening yourself up to a two for one.

116.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves.
116.3c If a player has priority when he or she casts a spell, activates an ability, or takes a special action,
that player receives priority afterward.
116.3d If a player has priority and chooses not to take any actions, that player passes. If any mana is in that player's
mana pool, he or she announces what mana is there. Then the next player in turn order receives priority.
116.4. If all players pass in succession (that is, if all players pass without taking any actions in between passing),

the spell or ability on top of the stack resolves or, if the stack is empty, the phase or step ends.

Thank you for your confirmation.

There will be another exchange of priority here.

Thank you for the correction.