DOOOOOOMM!!sday

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok first off, I want to let everyone know the goal here.  I recognize that this is probably a bad deck at the moment.  I don't expect it to become a tier one deck, I just want something I can have fun with that will hold it's own against competitive Legacy decks.  I know there's already a "better" Doomsday deck out there, I don't want to play that one (well I do sometime, but I want this to be something different).  I actually don't even have all the cards, so until/unless I think the deck is good enough to be worth the investment it will be mostly a casual (but still competitive) deck.

This is a brand new list, only goldfished so far, no real testing.  Stephen Menendian (a notable Vintage player who has done very well with this archetype in Vintage) placed fairly well last year with this list here: sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/di....  I opted to go a less rampy, slightly more controllish build.  Unobstructed, it can often "go off" turn 3-4 with some counters and discard to make it there.

Discard and counters keep you safe for the first few turns, and there's plenty of digging power for the one card you need to find (if you need a hint, check the title).

There are a few different options for Doomsday piles.  The one I based the deck on was to draw Thought Scour on the turn after DDay, cast it milling Deep Analysis and Lab Maniac, draw Unearth and revive the Maniac, and flash back DA to draw two with only one card left.
Being a Doomsday deck, I couldn't walk away from Shelldock Isle-Emrakul, but I've seen how risky that can be.  Drawing one extra card, or not connecting with one of your attacks for any reason (enough permanents to block, Karakas, Maze of Ith, etc) makes you lose.  So I found a way to do something similar that wins now.  Shelldock hides Maelstrom Wanderer, then casts him and cascades into Leyline + Helm.  That could alternately be just two large creatures (say a pair of Inferno Titans) since Wanderer gives all your guys haste, but I like having a Leyline maindeck for the potential to randomly screw over graveyard decks.

I'm thinking I'll likely have a problem with creature decks.  I'll probably end up dropping Jace and maybe some discard in favor of cheap removal, but I'm not sure what it will be yet.  Maybe even just more cheap counters.  I'd like to avoid Daze, because I don't want to slow down my own mana production.  I'm definitely going to try adding a couple Dark Rituals, but maybe not the full four.  It's not going to try and be a turn 1-2 deck, but I'd like to be able to Ritual-Doomsday while I have a Top out to win a turn faster.
I think you forgot to include Shelldock Isle in the list.  You're at 59 cards...

I really dislike your two main piles.  The main issue with them is that they cannot win the turn you go off.  That opens you up to too much disruption that it makes the deck vastly inferior to other versions.

Frankly, if I were going to handicap myself enough to play Doomsday, I would just play the accepted version.  The ability to just be a regular Storm deck when it's good and a different combo deck when it isn't good is pretty powerful.
Doomsday always makes me sad in Legacy because you can't make the greatest Doomsday pile ever:

Ancestral Recall
Black Lotus
Dark Ritual
Mind's Desire
Beacon of Destruction

Anyways, nostalgia aside. Lab Maniac really does seem better in Vintage piles, where a) You have access to lots of instant-speed draw, and b) you have less removal to worry about.

I also agree that you want a same-turn win. Needing to untap after Doomsday is just asking for trouble.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I did leave out Shelldock, fixed it now.

Jace and Top can get me started on winning the same turn I cast Doomsday, if I have the mana for it.  I didn't want to run a bunch of ramp because it's not the Storm deck (I already mentioned that I don't want to play that version), so I don't really have anything else to do with fast mana.  I am going to try at least some Rituals to make a same-turn win possible.  That was my intention for all the counters and discard, so that surviving a turn after Doomsday wouldn't be much of a problem.  After that one untap, either DDay stack wins that turn.

Anyway, I know it's a rough list.  And I know I don't want this to be a Storm deck.  I'm just looking for suggestions how to make this deck better

I noticed the post on doomsday and thought i'd take a look. As it turns out you also are attempting a non storm doomsday deck. Over the past year I have been fine tuning my list to allow me to avoid building a storm variant but still be competitive in my local meta and this it what I'm currently playing

4 Doomsday
3 Dark Ritual
4 Brainstorm
1 Shelldock Isle
4 Polluted Delta
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
3 Temporal Mastery
2 Ponder
3 Island
4 Swamp
4 Underground Sea
2 Darkslick Shores
1 Laboratory Maniac
1 Lotus Petal
4 Spell Pierce
2 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Cloud of Faeries
3 Hymn to Tourach
2 Bitterblossom
3 Lim-Dûl's Vault
1 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Ideas Unbound
2 Gitaxian Probe

the deck uses a variety of stacks my first is

Brainstorm

Shelldock Isle

Cloud of Faeries

Emmy

Temporal Mastery/Laboratory Maniac

This stack requires only 1 card in hand and UUB in play and a land drop

In the event of doomsday turn 2 the stack may be modified to

Brainstorm

Shelldock Isle

Cloud of Faeries

Lotus petal

Emmy

This stack requires U+1 any color 2 cards in hand and a land drop

My plan B stack is

Ideas Unbound

Laboratory Maniac

Dark Ritual

Gitaxian Probe

Sensei's Divining Top

This stack requires UUUB And a cantrip but avoids Graveyard hate from the many threats in the format

and has 0 dead draws pre-Doomsday and is easily modified by the cards in hand and in play.

I have found the the addition of Bitterblossom and the Jitte to be very helpful vs pox rug and even burn (The worst match up of cutting your life in half)

I also like Temporal Mastery in this deck as it works well with Brainstorm, Top, and Lim-dul's Vault

such as tapping the top and Miracle end of an opponents turn allowing for 2 turns in a row for you

The 2 turns can be used :

Turn 1 Doomsday

Turn 2 Win

OR

Bitterblossom Token Factory

I hope this gives you some ideas