A Noob's Commander Deck, read, laugh and give constructive Criticism

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, here I am, a total noob at Commander.  I have read all the posts about staples and should have's but I don't have all the cards so I am doing the best with what I have.  So please read, have a laugh and then give some 'constructive feedback' on how it could be improved without adding $200 Mana Drain's.

I don't play in tournaments and mostly play with buddies, 2-5 of us at any given time. 

Originally, this deck was built around Bruna, Light of Alabaster but there are two things going against her in my opinion.  1, she is expensive and 2, she will become a target pretty darn quick.  So I just decided to use Grand Arbiter Augustin IV instead.  I feel that with the extra mana savings it will be nice.......if she sticks around long enough.  I took out a lot of enchantments but left quite a few.  I especially like the totems.

I don't really have a theme except counter and control and hope for the best, lol. 

If you have specific remove this card and add this card type suggestions it would be great. 

Here is my list of cards:

Arifacts
Swiftfoot Boots
Whispersilk Cloak
Azorius Signet

Sorcery
Day of Judgment
Supreme Verdict
Spelltwine
Stolen Identity

Instant
Counterspell
Cancel
Rewind
Overrule
Dissipate
Cyclonic Rift (love this card)
Enlightened Tutor
Careful Consideration
Gifts Ungiven
Cackling Counterpart

Enchantments
Chromatic Armor
Marshal's Anthem
Righteous Authority
Daybreak Coronet
Eel Umbra
Celestial Mantle
Zephid's Embrace
Drake Umbra
Crab Umbra
Corrupted Conscience
Confiscate
Mammoth Umbra
Battle Mastery
Unquestioned Authority

Creatures
Bruna, Light of Alabaster
Invisible Stalker
Angelic Skirmisher
Diluvian Primordial
Clone
Intrepid Hero
Phantom Warrior
Courtly Provocateur * 1 of playgroup uses Tetsuo Umezawa a lot and we see Royal Assassin a lot too.
Deadeye Navigator
Puppeteer - see Courtly Provocateur above
Stormtide Leviathan
Luminate Primordial
Iridescent Drake
Odric, Master Tactician
Keiga, the Tide Star
Aetherling
Attended Knight
Herald of War
Silverblade Paladin
Walking Sponge
Precinct Captain
Pathrazer of Ulamog
Angel of Jubilation
Hydromorph Gull
Shepherd of the Lost
Serra Angel
Guardian of the Gateless

Metathran Elite
Ludevic's Test Subject - flip side = Ludevic's Abomination
Celestial Crusader                                                 

I replaced Puppeteer with Tideforce Elemental

I want to add my Sword of Light and Shadow, what should I take out?
My suggestions (all these come with the caveat "in my opinion")
For creatures
-1 Serra Angel   +1Baneslayer Angel just a superior card in every way *edit* except for vigilance :D
-1 Sheperd of the Lost   +1Academy Rector, sheperd is way too expensive for the cost, rector is a great tutor
-1 Hydromorph Gull   +1Glen Elendra Archmage 
-1 Attended Knight   +1Mesa Enchantress 
-1 Celestial Crusader  +1Sublime Archangel while the flash is nice, Sublime gives waaayy more attack
-1 Careful Consideration  +1Consecrated Sphinx probably wont last more than 2-3 turns but so worth it
-1 Day of Judgment   +1Return to Dust You have a fair amount of creature destruction, but not much for artifacts/enchants
-1 Gifts Ungiven   +1Replenish Or something, replenish needs to be in the deck somewhere

For lands make sure you have Serra's Sanctum, and for enchants you might want to squeeze in Fool's Demise, Pemmin's Aura and Treachery, some of the nicest ehcnats around! Good luck
I'd say give Bruna another chance except build your deck to ramp into her quickly. It doesn't matter if she gets targeted if you can get her out while people are still setting up. UW also give you lots of ways to protect her. Additionally, you don't even need her to win. Auras enchanting any other creatures in your deck are equally scary. Cards like Sun Titan, Sovereigns of Lost Alara, Kor Spiritdancer, and Auratouched Mage can easily be used as alternate win conditions.

The other option is going for a heavier control build, which is what I run. Force opponents to use up resources to deal with other threats besides Bruna, and then drop her safely when their resources have been used up. 
Well if you were to change commanders, I would go Zur the Enchanter if you want to be cheap and just win every game (his effect goes through shroud, ie give him shroud, make him unblockable, and win the game by stacking him with an absurd amount of enchantments) or Rafiq of the Many. While Rafiq doesn't do anything with auras himself, he works well in that you're usually making one creature super big and swinging with it, so you'll get lots of work out of double strike. More importantly, having access to the green gives you the many of the best enchantments in the game, and access to fantastic aura companion cards like Krond the Dawn-Clad, Argothian Enchantress, Verduran Enchantress, and Femeref Enchantress.
That is awesome.  Thanks Silitaryecho and Loozar42.  This is great help, just what I was looking for.
Ramp into Bruna and beat face who really cares if she dies, just keep beating face!

<----- Loser.

Auratog combos with Bruna.
Copy Enchantment to copy any enchantment.
Replenish for getting all the enchantments back into play.
Holy Mantle gives a protection from creatures.
Concerted Effort this will allow all your creatures to gain abilites of others.
Well it looks like Gifts Ungiven is on the banned list already, lol.  Looks like it makes my first removal choice easier.
Well it looks like Gifts Ungiven is on the banned list already, lol.  Looks like it makes my first removal choice easier.

Put Three Dreams in its place.

<----- Loser.

Sign In to post comments