Weapons of Mass Gaming

137 posts / 0 new
Last post
Remember these guys?  They were pretty good, and pretty funny, back in the 2012 days.  As 2013 went on, their "sexy 60s" kept getting worse and worse, and their gameplay videos devolved into constant swearing and very little discussion of the actual matches they were playing.

So, I quit watching.  I checked out a recent video of theirs to see how it was going, and it was 20 minutes of homophobic jokes and cursing and almost literally zero discussion of the game.  I guess they're aiming for the PewDiePie crowd now?

It's pretty sad, if you watch their PixelJunk Monsters playthrough they seemed like chill, funny guys who didn't need to be crass, but now they're just terrible.
Someone in the forums here indicated they were fun to watch. I couldn't stomach more than about a minute of it. I guess when you run out of things to say, but you want to continue to talk, this is what happens.

I'd love to see some decent Magic videos. Many that I tried to watch have the prerequisite of having to know most cards (i.e. not the DotP videos...) and what they do. otherwise it's hard to follow. I guess I want the equivalent of the NFL games with expert commentary and on screen arrows and circles.
What do you guys use to record videos? It is something I have always thought of doing with DOTP
Someone in the forums here indicated they were fun to watch. I couldn't stomach more than about a minute of it. I guess when you run out of things to say, but you want to continue to talk, this is what happens.

I'd love to see some decent Magic videos. Many that I tried to watch have the prerequisite of having to know most cards (i.e. not the DotP videos...) and what they do. otherwise it's hard to follow. I guess I want the equivalent of the NFL games with expert commentary and on screen arrows and circles.

Yeah I don't like the "Pro Tour" videos that rely on the viewer knowing exactly what every single card does.

I've been toying with the idea of making DOTP videos.

Yeah, I can never finish one of their vids. Those guys are hella annoying.

Gamertag: B0BBY B0ULDERS

Like i said in another post i feel like watching CJ and OG Lock from GTA San Andreas when i see any WMG video, i rather watch Daisho or WingspanTT...

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

Like i said in another post i feel like watching CJ and OG Lock from GTA San Andreas when i see any WMG video, i rather watch Daisho or WingspanTT...

That's not fair, CJ and OG Loc didn't constantly make fun of gay people. 

One of the cringiest YouTube channels out there. A trading card game and wigga talk don't go well together.
One of the cringiest YouTube channels out there. A trading card game and wigga talk don't go well together.

JT actually is black, and as much as I dislike them now I wouldn't say they're trying to talk "gangsta" on purpose.  That's the least of their problems.

Lol you got me Sealed

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

What do you guys use to record videos? It is something I have always thought of doing with DOTP

Which format do you play on? If you're on the iPad, I highly recommend Display Capture.

No, but in the first quest featuring OG Loc Sweet and Big Smoke do get in a few jabs about him being someone's bitch while in jail.  LOL

So funny that I'm actually playing this game right now.  Dusted the old XBox off recently.  That XBos controller is really bad for San Andreas.  I don't remember having so many controller problems with the PS2 version when I first played this game.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

If you do Steam, I recommend FRAPS.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

If you're on Steam, use Fraps. It costs money (or just use google, but hey....this is 2013, you probably know these things by now), but it's easy to use. Just hit record and it will record the video and mic input, then use something like windows movie maker to convert it into a file of manageable size (fraps videos are like 5gb for a few minutes).

I'm actually with you on this one Drone. At first, I LOVED them....decent gameplay, fun banter and good insights for someone just getting back into Magic after a bajillion years or so (and who was never really good in the first place....I was like 11 when I started but never got past the playing with friends at recess/in a basement smokin pot [later on, mind you, not when I was 11] stage). They actually remind me a lot of a couple of my friends (even right down to their looks and personality.....my Mocha friend Sammy and my goatee'd metal friend named Chris).

However, they've just kinda gone over the top lately. They're clearly blazed and shatted the entire time (not that I have a problem with that, but it doesn't make for very interesting [read:Duels related] commentary). Their gameplay is alright, but nothing super impressive. I've thrashed MC and Butchy a few times on Steam, and I'm decent, but not super awesome.

I actually prefer Butchy now, just because the MC/JT banter is out of control, plus it's fun to "rage" (or whatever the kids say these days) at the bad plays. He may not be quite as good, but I feel the gameplay and commentary are far more honest and interesting than the other two.
I actually still quite like them, though I guess I do miss their 2012 vibe but I find JT and MC kind of interesting and they make me laugh which I guess has became a higher reason to watch them these days compared to 2012.
Butchy I sometimes can't bring myself to watching some of his videos but can still be quite interesting.

I dunno about aiming for PewDiePie type audiance because I typically don't like his videos and though I guess I saw a video of his and gave him a chance, I quickly left his channel as I just couldn't watch his videos.

Eye kneed teh speelchequer bach!

I started watching their channel during DotP '12 and still watch their vids, I think they're still quite amusing. I understand how some people probably don't like it here but no need to hate, they probably put a lot of time and effort in it.

I can't watch a minute of Butchy's vids however, his decisions are just too terrible! 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I started watching their channel during DotP '12 and still watch their vids, I think they're still quite amusing. I understand how some people probably don't like it here but no need to hate

I'm not really "hating", but I find their constant homophobia completely out of line.

I used to watch a lot of WMG, the have some really funny moments, didn't really watch them for great plays or anything of that sort. I did stop some time ago though, I think I just grew tired of their "formular".

I started watching their channel during DotP '12 and still watch their vids, I think they're still quite amusing. I understand how some people probably don't like it here but no need to hate

I'm not really "hating", but I find their constant homophobia completely out of line.

I don't see how you can come conclusions about their "constant homophobia" when you by your own admission, have only watched one recent video with them. That video might have been terrible, but generalisation works both ways.
I used to watch a lot of WMG, the have some really funny moments, didn't really watch them for great plays or anything of that sort. I did stop some time ago though, I think I just grew tired of their "formular".

I don't see how you can come conclusions about their "constant homophobia" when you by your own admission, have only watched one recent video with them. That video might have been terrible, but generalisation works both ways.

"Perception is Reality." 

If they go off on homophobic rant in even 1 video and that's the first video that a person watches, and they are offended, then it isn't unreasonable for that person to stop watching them after that 1 video.  Then their perception of WMG is that they are always that way.  IF WMG wants to change that perception then it's on them to not post videos like that.

If your boss walks by your desk 3 times in an 8 hour day and each of those times you were texting someone on your phone, but you only made 4 texts that entire day, your bosses perception is that you are messing around on your phone all day.  In his reality, it's true.  Same principle.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Oh yeesh....let's not get into philosophy 101 again :P

I personally don't remember all this constant homophobia specifically,  but they DO constantly use slurs all up and down the spectrum. However, if you're watching them these days, you really have to just expect the vulgarity, because that's kinda their shtick.
Oh yeesh....let's not get into philosophy 101 again :P

I personally don't remember all this constant homophobia,  but they DO constantly use slurs all up and down the spectrum. However, if you're watching them these days, you really have to just expect the vulgarity, because that's kinda their shtick.

Probably explains why I'm not watching them these days.
If the PS4 comes with the ability to directly post game footage to youtube, I might start a youtube channel of my games.  IDK if it does, I just remember reading somewhere that it would, but it may or may not have been a rumor.

You're a lose cannon.

"Perception is Reality." 

If they go off on homophobic rant in even 1 video and that's the first video that a person watches, and they are offended, then it isn't unreasonable for that person to stop watching them after that 1 video. Then their perception of WMG is that they are always that way.  IF WMG wants to change that perception then it's on them to not post videos like that.

If your boss walks by your desk 3 times in an 8 hour day and each of those times you were texting someone on your phone, but you only made 4 texts that entire day, your bosses perception is that you are messing around on your phone all day.  In his reality, it's true.  Same principle.

No it isn't unreasonable to stop watching after one video, but if you start making general statements (eg. moving above your own perception/subjective opinion) about what something is after one video, you're obviously generalising and deserved to be called out on it.
WMG have always used homophobic slurs and made derogatory remarks about homosexuals, they have just been getting worse and worse about it to the point that it's inexcusable.

I'm not some ultra-PC person, when they made those jokes in the 2012 and early 2013 videos, I'd roll my eyes but they didn't do it very often.  The recent video I watched had literally a 5 minute "bit" making fun of gay people.  That's not cool.
I watched then when 2012 first started and they had much better videos. I tried them again a month ago and can't stand their videos now. It's less about the game and more about stupid off topic crap.
I started watching them with their 2012 videos and they could actually play then. They were okay at the start of D13 but mid way through D13 till the end they just got worse.

The funny thing is that they think they know more about Magic and are on par with or can play better than Daisho and their "proof" is that they started Magic when Daisho was in nappies. The funny part is that niether of them (WMG) know anything outside of Duels since whenever they started. I know more and I'm new compared to a lot of people. Daisho even plays Magic in real life and has the vids to prove it.

Their random talk used to be funny in 2012 but I agree they just got worse. Playing and what they say.

Also about their builds. Their builds were somewhat decent for 2012 but 2013....well you can definitely tell D13 decks are harder to build because most of WMG's are **** and they make lame excuses for their builds. The fact is most of the people they face online are either really new, make mistakes (it happens) or just so happen to be worse than them....they also have amazing luck sometimes :P

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />And Drone, while they definitely lace their commentaries with plenty of homophobic material, they also harp on pretty much every other social classification as well.

I really don't think this is true, source?  I've never heard them call their opponent "the N word" or anything.  There's a difference between joking about something and being hateful/hurtful.

I'll definitely agree that WMG's behavior doesn't feel as cultured these days.  I still like them, though.  They haven't changed all that much and I still enjoy their personalities.

The bigger issue for me would be how much worse their deck builds and gameplay are in 2013.  But I don't know that that's necessarily because of them as much as it is because 2012's decks were easier to optimize and generally simpler to play (and there were fewer good players, it seems like).

Anyway, it's unfortunate for them that they've gained so much bad rep, and a lot of it probably because of how they've subtlely changed as opposed to just because they've gotten more popular or because those people didn't like them from the start.

The funny thing is that they think they know more about Magic and are on par with or can play better than Daisho and their "proof" is that they started Magic when Daisho was in nappies. The funny part is that niether of them (WMG) know anything outside of Duels since whenever they started. I know more and I'm new compared to a lot of people. Daisho even plays Magic in real life and has the vids to prove it.

JT played paper Magic years ago.
Can someone link to the video where they made a lot of homophobic comments? I'm not saying they didn't, but I watch all of their videos, and I don't remember that ever happening. I do agree that their videos aren't as good as they were in 2009 and 2012, but I still find them to be fun to watch. For me, it's not all about the gameplay. I think that they're pretty hilarious most of the time. I can't recall a video where they were overly offensive.
I haven't been keeping up with my Youtube subscriptions the past week or so, so I'm not sure what instance is being referenced, either.
I'll definitely agree that WMG's behavior doesn't feel as cultured these days.  I still like them, though.  They haven't changed all that much and I still enjoy their personalities.

The bigger issue for me would be how much worse their deck builds and gameplay are in 2013.  But I don't know that that's necessarily because of them as much as it is because 2012's decks were easier to optimize and generally simpler to play (and there were fewer good players, it seems like).

Anyway, it's unfortunate for them that they've gained so much bad rep, and a lot of it probably because of how they've subtlely changed as opposed to just because they've gotten more popular or because those people didn't like them from the start.

JT played paper Magic years ago.

That's what I said. JT played it years ago but hasn't played it since yet thinks hes on par or better than Daisho or somehow thinks he knows Duels and paper strategy better. I think someone a while back brought it up on one of their videos that they should go against Daisho in an actual duel with real cards. It didn't materialise and I think they trolled or raged at that person.

JT has gone to some prereleases and such lately, I think.

Anyway, yeah, I've noticed WMG (well, JT and Metal Chris) seem to think they've been "running things" and like they can do no wrong at this point.  If there is one thing that has turned me off in recent videos that didn't used to be an issue, it's when they occasionally have major delusions of grandeur and show a lot of a self-importance.  It's kind of gross.

Anyway, yeah, I've noticed WMG (well, JT and Metal Chris) seem to think they've been "running things" and like they can do no wrong at this point.  If there is one thing that has turned me off in recent videos that didn't used to be an issue, it's when they occasionally have major delusions of grandeur and show a lot of a self-importance.  It's kind of gross.

They always blame their losses on "bad luck" or the other player getting a "God Hand".  It's really dumb.  JT is much worse about it than Metal Chris, if you watch the videos where they lose JT pretty much always goes on a little rant about how he totally could have won if he wanted to.

Butchy's voice is really annoying and in one video he didn't know the difference between Instants and Sorceries.  And supposedly he's been playing Magic much longer than JT or MC.

Wasn't aware of the pre-releases. I would of thought they would talk about that rather than the other random stuff in most of their videos. Or maybe I missed it between the crap. I also agree with you and get the feeling that they just don't care about what image they're putting out. I have commented on some of the misplays I saw them do and said how they could of gone about it only to have replies such as "WMG isn't for watching how good they play but the stuff they say and the comedy".

Or I will get a reply from WMG themselves regarding their Beserker Rage deck such as "Gruul Scrapper is the best card in the deck" or "Works for us!"

Its also a bit amusing that lately they have started using subscriber builds....I don't remember if they did that with D12. Its like they know their sexy 60s suck (most of their D13 ones did) and either don't have the time (not their fault) or they're really lazy.

I remember what Drone did to me when I expressed a negative reaction to someone after seeing just one recent video of theirs. ;)

I'd actually do videos for DotP if not for 1) I don't actually know how (although I understand FRAPS is nearly foolproof) but 2) my internet is rubbish, watching YT videos usually takes me 3-4x the length of the video to fully load it, so I can only guess about the same would apply to uploads and 3) while my voice is by no means Barry White's, for some reason over electronics it comes off as a six year old girl with a helium addicted. I suppose I could try applying an accent or speaking low, but I hate how my voice sounds recorded normally.

Otherwise I'd consider getting 2014 just to do tutorials on building Sealed decks (better hope I get those videos done the first two tries, amirite?) or showing off 2HG combos/strategies.

I might poke around my friend list on Steam and see if I can get anyone interested in doing some Magic videos. I've got one friend who already does videos for other games, and she has quite a pleasant voice when she chooses to speak. 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I prefered their old content. I feel nowadays they're tired of playing Duels of the Planeswalkers. And who can blame them? I'm tired of playing 2013. They do other games but those vids never got the views that Magic did. But I don't think they should care about views and care more about playing what is fun for them because then they produce more entertaining content. As of now, they're stuck in a rut, and I've stopped watching.

I like Nemo and also Daisho though he does more real life Magic now in the form of drafts or plays MtGO instead (both can be more interesting than Duels vids).

They always blame their losses on "bad luck" or the other player getting a "God Hand".  It's really dumb.  JT is much worse about it than Metal Chris, if you watch the videos where they lose JT pretty much always goes on a little rant about how he totally could have won if he wanted to.

Butchy's voice is really annoying and in one video he didn't know the difference between Instants and Sorceries.  And supposedly he's been playing Magic much longer than JT or MC.

I sometimes wonder if they're just trolling everyone watching their videos sometimes with the amount mistakes and retardation of their plays. I mean I know people make mistakes sometimes or play bad on the odd occasion, Daisho makes some plays which make me annoyed sometimes but at least he admits it on the spot that he isn't sure its the right play. Him and WINGSPANTT talk through their strategies while they play and their deck builds. WMG just don't do that. Pretty sure sometimes during their deck building they stop on one card, make some irrelevent joke up about something unrelated and then carry on to the next card.

I miss the old WMG where they would joke about what the card would be or the names they gave them such as "Rhianna" or "Barry".

Little offtopic but I named Empyrial Armor MJ :D cause it actually looks like him.

I've watched WMG a bit recently and found them entertaining, but I haven't seen a video from them that involved homophobic slurs.  I would stop watching if I had.  I would be interested in seeing a link to the one you saw, Drone.  I agree with you that their banter can be annoying, but I haven't seen anything I'd consider offensive from them (but there are a lot of videos of theirs that I haven't watched).

They aren't the best players in the world by any means; I've only seen one of their sexy 60 videos and thought it was pretty bad so I haven't viewed the others.  But I still watched them because I like watching other people play and they had a bunch of videos showing it (I also watch Nemo, some guy named Teknevolver, Daisho, Wingspan when he (rarely) posts them, and I've checked out a few other forum member's videos as well).  

For all the people who suggest they'd do might do videos - go for it!  I'd probably watch them, at least some of the time, and clearly the success of the other youtubers shows that an audience exists for it.  
I sometimes wonder if they're just trolling everyone watching their videos sometimes with the amount mistakes and retardation of their plays. I mean I know people make mistakes sometimes or play bad on the odd occasion, Daisho makes some plays which make me annoyed sometimes but at least he admits it on the spot that he isn't sure its the right play. Him and WINGSPANTT talk through their strategies while they play and their deck builds. WMG just don't do that. Pretty sure sometimes during their deck building they stop on one card, make some irrelevent joke up about something unrelated and then carry on to the next card.

I miss the old WMG where they would joke about what the card would be or the names they gave them such as "Rhianna" or "Barry".

Little offtopic but I named Empyrial Armor MJ :D cause it actually looks like him.

I remember Heedless One being Rhianna, but which card was Barry?

I remember Heedless One being Rhianna, but which card was Barry?

Some two drop 2/1 or 2/2 vanilla in the Gideon deck. Can't remember exactly but the card art is of a female soldier with a sword and shield.

I try to never watch anything that I find disgusting and demoralizing such as splatter, the so called "runway fashion", homophilia, race-mixing and depictions of blood and gore in general.
(yes, I did not like Innistrad because of all zombies and because of all blood/gore, but that's a different subject  Innocent)

With other words, if you are offended/annoyed by something, just avoid it as much as you can and try to think about more cheerful things.
There's really nothing more to discuss here.

..And on the matter of WMG, I can't remember them saying anything hateful towards homosexuals.
But I haven't watched anything by them after DLC 3.
I would be interested to hear some of the actual WMG quotes that were questionable, if you guys are refering to something specific they said.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Sign In to post comments