Not "Pleased" With Ilthuviel's Blackened Heart

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, all.

Regrettably, I allowed Ilthuviel's Blackened Heart into my game. I thought my players would abhor the artifact, especially the dwarf. But, the dwarf character embraced it and has turned pseudo-villian with the heart. That's just my grumble, not my question.

The heart has the following conjuration power:
"Power (Conjuration) ♦ Daily (StandardAction)
You conjure a weaker manifestation of Ilthuviel's original form. This conjuration takes the form of an elder green dragon. The dragon follows your commands willingly, but it can take only a single action each round. The dragon is otherwise a normal elder green dragon in form and abilities, and it can be killed as normal. Sustain Standard: You can sustain the conjuration for up to 1 minute, or until the elder green dragon conjuration is slain."

No other information is provided. No range, no stats, just a blanket "The dragon is otherwise a normal elder green dragon in form and abilities, and it can be killed as normal" (emphasis added). At the table, I didn't have time to look into this conjuration power and allowed a 19th-level elder dragon to appear for the party's 14th-level dwarf fighter and give a sound thrashing to my abyssal plague swarmbringer.

Looking through myriad conjuration magic items, most provide a stat block and a range. Looking at some shaman, druid and wizard powers, they provide damage dice and ability modifiers. The conjuration rule in the glossary indicates, "Normally, a conjuration cannot attack. If a conjuration can attack, its creator makes the attack, determining line of effect from the conjuration as if the creator were in the conjuration’s space. If line of sight is relevant, determine it from the creator, not the conjuration." Defenses are shared, according to the same rule.

I'm at a loss on how accommodate this conjured elder green dragon. Allowing a standard elder green dragon to appear does appear to be the correct approach. Does anyone have any ideas or advice, or insight into what I'm missing.

Thanks, and happy gaming.

-------- Don (Greyson) --------

Non-smoker, White, Non-golfer, U.S.-American

This Items power has a few issues RAW. It should have been a summoning and not a conjuration. It provides little guidelines. As a sustainable conjuration, it automatically lasts until the end of the creator’s next turn,  where it will end unless sustained. From there, things to keep in mind with this conjuration is that:

Even if a conjuration looks like a creature or displays some degree of sentience, it is not considered a creature. Unless otherwise noted, a conjuration uses the following rules:

Occupies No Squares: The conjuration occupies no squares. The conjuration does not need to be supported by a solid surface, so it can float in the air. IT DOESN'T OCCUPY SQUARE

Unaffected by the Environment: Terrain and environmental phenomena have no effect on the conjuration. For instance, a conjuration that is an icy hand functions in an inferno without penalty. TERRAIN DON'T AFFECT IT

Creator’s Defenses: Normally, a conjuration cannot be attacked or physically affected. If a conjuration can be attacked or physically affected, it uses its creator’s defenses. Unless an attack specifically targets conjurations, only the attack’s damage (not including ongoing damage) affects the conjuration. For instance, an attack power that would cause a creature to take 20 cold damage and become immobilized would instead deal only the cold damage to a conjuration. IT CAN BE ATTACKED AND USE THE CREATOR'S DEFENSE. IT SHOULD USE ITS HIT POINTS SINCE IT HAS SOME AND THERE'S No GUIDELINE. 

Attacking with a Conjuration: Normally, a conjuration cannot attack. If a conjuration can attack, its creator makes the attack, determining line of effect from the conjuration as if the creator were in the conjuration’s space. If line of sight is relevant, determine it from the creator, not the conjuration. IT CAN ATTACK USING ALL HIS ABILITIES BUT HAS ONLY 1 ACTION/ROUND

Movable Conjurations: If the power used to create a conjuration allows it to be moved, it’s a movable conjuration. At the end of the creator’s turn, a movable conjuration ends if the creator doesn’t have line of effect to at least 1 square of the conjuration or if the creator isn’t within range (using the power’s range) of at least 1 square of the conjuration.A conjuration can’t be moved through blocking terrain. POWER HAS NO RANGE SO THE CREATOR NEED LINE OF EFFECT TO IT

Death Ends: A conjuration ends immediately if its creator dies. END IF CREATOR DIES

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thanks for sharing the Conjuration rules, Plaguescarred. I'll try to figure out a way to accommodate this. Then, get this item out of the camapaign. At least I know the item is poorly written relative this this conjuration issue.

If anyone else has any ideas, please share. For now, I am going to go through the Compenduim and try to find a similarly leveled/powered item and make a stat block for the summoned, not conjured, elder green dragon. I'm seems that Ilthuviel's Blackened Heart is a 19th-level item. The Compendium does not have a reference for the heart.

-------- Don (Greyson) --------

Non-smoker, White, Non-golfer, U.S.-American

Elder Green Dragon is a 19th level creature.....
Its an artifact that has an enhancement bonus that ranges from +4 to +6, it grants level 19 powers, and it summons a level 19 creature, you should really look into these things before giving them to level 14 characters. Artifacts are items you have complete control over, an item that is supposed to be granted for some narrative purpose, I suggest expediting the story regarding the item so you can get rid of it and fix your mistake.
Artifacts can be tricky since they get a general tier assigned to them, but while this item is Paragon Tier, its definitely at the upper end of the tier.

If he has that power they must somehow already have it at Pleased concordance.  Read the moving on section and have it demand that they go on a quest to find a worthy dragon to take possession.  If they complete the quest, he gets a bonus. If they gain a level without starting the quest, or gain 2 levels without completing the quest, it leaves them and bestows a penalty. And if they find a worthy dragon that happens to be green and fight it, the concordance score goes down by 2 or 3 every time the owner attacks that green dragon (no limit on penalties per day) which will cause it to lose abilities and eventually leave.
    You could even have other "unworthy" dragons come looking for it while they are looking for a worthy dragon.