New Dragons

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a race of new dragonkind I'm developing for my own version of a Coucil of Wyrms game. They are only meant to be played in a group consisting of just this one race, so I'm not too concerned with making them too powerful. I am however trying to balance them out a bit while allowing for some customization.

I'm just looking for constructive feedback, ideas, suggestions and possible ways of making the concept work better. I started with dragonborn as a template and built on top of that, editing and altering to make it suit my vision for the race. I'm not entierly satisfied with them yet, and I don't feel everything works just yet. Which is why I'm here seeking advice and suggestions.

Dracogon

Nothing compares to the power and majesty of dragonkind, and no other dragonkind compare to the power and majesty of the Dracogon.”

Size: Small (hatchling lvl 1), Medium (Young Adult lvl 5), Large (Adult lvl 10), Huge (Elder lvl 20), Gargantuan (Ancient, lvl 25)
Speed: 6 squares, fly 4 squares (altitude limit 1, clumsy) you cannot use this fly speed if you are carrying more than a normal load, Overland Flight 10
Vision: Low-light Vision
Languages: Common, Draconic
Claws and Fangs: All Dracogon are born proficient in using their claws and fangs as weapons
Claws, +2 Prof., 1d4 damage, light blade (damage increases to 1d6 at lvl 5, 2d6 at lvl 10, 2d8 at lvl 20, and 1d12 at lvl 25)
Fangs, +2 Prof., 1d4 damage, light blade (damage increases to 1d6 at lvl 5, 2d6 at lvl 10, 2d8 at lvl 20, and 1d12 at lvl 25)
Natural Defense: Due to their scales, all Dracogon have a +2 natural bonus to AC
Dragon's Fury: When you are bloodied you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls
Draconic Heritage: Your healing surge value is equal to one quarter of your maximum hitpoints + your constitution modifier
Dragon Breath: You can use Dragon Breath as an encounter power
Subspecies: Choose one subspecies of Dracogon and gain their benefits

Dragon's Breath

Dragon's Breath
Encounter * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
Minor Action, Close Blast 3
Targets: All creatures in area
Attack: Strength + 2 vs. Reflex, Constitution + 2 vs. Reflex, or Dexterity + 2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Constitution modifier damage
Increase to +4 bonus and 2d6 + constitution
modifier damage at 11th level, and +6 bonus and 3d6 + constitution modifier damage at 21st level
Special: When you create your character, choose strength, constitution, or dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. You also choose the powers damage type: acid, cold, fire, lighting, or poison. These two choice remain throughout your character's life and do not change the power's other effects.

Dracogon Subspecies

Dracogon Subspecies

Shadow Dracogon
Abilities:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Skill Bonuses:
+2 Intimidate, +2 Stealth
Mists of Shadow: You can use of Mists of Shadow as a daily power

Mists of Shadow

Mists of Shadow
Daily * Shadow, Zone
Minor Action, Close burst 5
Effect: The burst creates a zone of lightly obscured squares that lasts until the end of the encounter. While in the zone creatures gain concealment.

Fey Dracogon
Abilities: +2 Wisdom, +2 Intelligence
Skill Bonuses:
+2 Diplomacy, +2 Nature
Eldritch Escape: You can use Eldritch Escape as a daily power

Eldritch Escape

Eldritch Escape
Daily * Teleportation
Immediate Reaction, Personal
Trigger: An enemy hits or misses you with a melee attack
Effect: You teleport six squares

Metallic Dracogon
Abilities: +2 Constitution, +2 Strength
Skill Bonuses:
+2 Athletics, +2 Endurance
Iron Stance: You can use Iron Stance as a daily power

Iron Stance

Iron
Stance
Daily * Stance
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: You assume a solid stance. Until the stance ends, you gain a +4 bonus to AC, and you can ignore being pulled, pushed, slid, or knocked prone.

Elemental Dracogon
Abilities: +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Skill Bonuses:
+2 Arcana, +2 History
Ancestor's Resistance: You can use Ancestor's Resistance as a daily power

Ancestor's Resistance

Ancestor's Resistance
Daily * Primal
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: when you activate this power you choose one energy type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. You gain a resistance of 10 to the chosen energy type until the end of the encounter.

Gemstone Dracogon
Abilities: +2 Wisdom, +2 Constitution
Skill Bonuses:
+2 Dungeoneering, +2 Perception
Dragon's Foresight: You can use Dragon's Foresight as a daily power

Dragon's Foresight

Dragon's Foresight
Daily * Arcane
Standard Action, Personal
Requirement: You must use this power during an extended rest
Effect: You ask a question and receive a vague notion of the future. You might receive a clue as to whether a specific course of action is likely to have positive or negative results. This notion can take the form of a single image, a hint about a danger that might be faced, or just a positive or negative feeling about the current course of destiny.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true.

You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic wand or Aladdin's lamp;

only your own imagination and curiosity about things that never were.

The concept is neat, but to properly judge some of the racial features, we'd have to know the specifics about what characters CAN do in your campaign. I see a lot of things here that would need work if the race was to be balanced for usage for certain character types, but we're not even sure what classes, if any are legal, and what sort of enhancement bonus system (magic items or inherent) you're using. Also, how do you foresee the usage of implements with such a race, if at all? Once we know a bit more about what things outside of this race that the players will be able to utilize from the regular system, then we can better help to balance the race out.
The idea is to allow the players to play whatever they want (fighter, rogue, wizard, warlord, cleric, ect.) and choose a subspecies of Dracogon that would best compliment that class. I actualy havn't done too much tweaking with the subspecies yet, they are still in their raw concept form, but the initial idea was to have them focused twoard different role (leader, defender, controller, striker) maybe ith one or two that could be built to fill multiple roles.

As you've seen in my Dragons with Weapons thread in the DM forum, I'm intererested in having them use equipment, including magical items, just as any other character race would. My players and I both enjoy the thrill of finding and useing new items and equipment dureing the game. This holds true for implements as well. A mental image of a dracogon holding aloft his orb or wand to cast spells just seems very cool to me. Though I may consider some alternative for players who don't want that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true.

You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic wand or Aladdin's lamp;

So no help then?

I was think of doing prismatic dragons as a third dragon super-type rather than just a single species. Things like Diamond Dragons with a radiant breath weapon or Pearl Dragons that exhaled corrosive pressurized sea-salt. 
I was think of doing prismatic dragons as a third dragon super-type rather than just a single species. Things like Diamond Dragons with a radiant breath weapon or Pearl Dragons that exhaled corrosive pressurized sea-salt. 

That sounds cool. I've put together a little list of suggestions for this:

Diamond: High Con and Str, attacks pierce armour
Pearl: High Cha, some sort of Charm power
Ruby: High Int, fire breath weapon
Sapphire:
High Wis, cold breath weapon
Emerald:
Acidic breath weapon
Obsidian: High damage with claws and teeth. Necrotic breath weapon.

Feedback?  
Now,in Oreintal adventures all dragons were part of the celestial bureauracy and would go from Carp dragon to the celestial dragon? What would happen if all dragons in your world were one species and colors and alignments were a matter a choice? A Gold and Silver could breed and produce a Red? suppose all dragons could shapeshift into a humanoid form,allowing them to interact better "civilization'?

I will immediately report any Phishers or Lonely Hearts Scam Artists.