Which products to buy as a new DM

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hiya!

This is my third post so far, trying to figure out as much as I can before I start a new game for the first time!

I have the three core rule books, and I'd like to know which (if any) other books/extras I should buy to start a new game. I really like the look of the Neverwinter Campaign setting, and the DM's Guide 2 seems to have good reviews as well.

Do you have any advice as to what I should buy? Any good map packs/tokens or adventures? Or do I not need any of that?

Thanks! 
If you mean the three original core books rather than the Essentials books, I'd strongly suggest getting the Monster Vault box. The design of the creatures in the Monster Manual 1 left a great deal to be desired, and the MV not only replaces them with much better writeups, it includes a sizable assortment of tokens. (There is also a small level 4 adventure, although it isn't related to the Neverwinter setting.)

If you're using the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book then it might be useful to have the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide and/or Player's Guide, but neither are strictly necessary.
Even though the Rules Compendium duplicates a lot of material from the PHB and DMG, it is much easier to reference, updates some essential rules (though admittedly not without its own flaws), and is the single most useful tome during my game play.
Thanks very much for your replies!

Once I deal with the rules/monster stats aspect of things, which adventures would you recommend?

Also, are there any sets of just tokens, maybe with some maps?

Thanks again Tongue Out 
Really glad to have found this thread as I'll be DMing my first campaign in September and want to spend some time over the summer preparing. 

@ alegillies: When you say you have the 3 core rule books, do you mean the PHB, DMG and the monster manual?

So far I've only played as a PC and I'm trying to put together a shopping list too. 
I definitely recommend the spell compendium, I'm a mage buff and that book saves lives. But my real advice is to get the pdfs on your phone or computer, and have all of them.
Really glad to have found this thread as I'll be DMing my first campaign in September and want to spend some time over the summer preparing. 

@ alegillies: When you say you have the 3 core rule books, do you mean the PHB, DMG and the monster manual?

So far I've only played as a PC and I'm trying to put together a shopping list too. 

Nice to hear from someone in the same situation! Yep, I've got the PHB, DMG and MM. I've decided to go for the DMG2, but I'm still wavering on the Neverwinter Campaign Setting; it sounds good but I'm not sure I'd be able to make adventures with it since I have absolutely no experience doing that. I probably will end up buying it though because people seem to say it has a lot of background, setting, etc.

I'm probably going to do 1 adventure per encounter (and not very often) due to time constraints, so setting is more important to me than numbers. Having said that, I'd still like to get some battle maps/tiles and tokens, so if anyone can recommend these I'd be very grateful!

I'm also still in search of an adventure to run for the first time which is less focused on combat and more focused on skill encounters, riddles, etc.

Thanks again!
DM Kit for adventure, tiles, tokens. Monster Vault for proper monster math and tokens. DDI for Dragon content for players. Yes, it is balanced, and required for some classes to work.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

monster manual
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

I don't think the tokens are sold on their own. They're included in Monster Vault-type products and in a couple of the larger adventure packages (such as Madness at Gardmore Abbey).

As for maps, there are a variety of preprinted poster map products from various companies, although using sketched out maps on dry-erase mats is the typical method. (There are various sizes of these for D&D and other RPG gaming, most of which have 1-inch grids on one side and a hex grid on the other.) You'd usually find these at game stores that carry RPG and/or miniatures products.

If you're looking for a printed adventure for use with a new group, "HS1: The Slaying Stone" is probably the best option. It has enough content to give you an idea of what can happen while leaving large parts of the location only loosely defined, so you can add to it as you like. It's set in the Nentir Vale world by default, but fiddling a bit with the names and backstory would allow it to be ported over to the Neverwinter region of the Forgotten Realms fairly easily.

There are also three Neverwinter-based adventures and a couple of setting pieces in Dragon and Dungeon if you have or can access DDI. The only potential hitch is that these assume a level 3-5 group (rather than a level 1 starting group).
Monster Vault gets my vote as well. MM1 has OK lower level monsters, mostly, but the MV monsters are better all around and the "MM3 math" they use is definitely an improvement. The adventure and the tokens are quite useful as well.

MM3 itself is also a great book. The Rules Compendium is handy. You might also want a copy of PHB2, it has a lot of nice classes in it that really round things out. MME is a good book to have as well, especially since it is now somewhat hard to find copies of AV1 and AV2 (and for that matter MME itself isn't always plentiful). There really are no BAD 4e books. The various Power books are all useful, though you can live without them, especially if you have DDI. Its all a matter of what you're interested in.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I have only been playing for a few weeks, but I am also going to start working on becoming a DM. I already own the PHB 1&2, DMG and MM1.

This is my next order from Amazon.

Monster Vault

Battle Mat by Chessex

Wet Erase Markers for Battle Mat

Deluxe DM Screen

NPC Cards - (using to add flavor to my story)
I have only been playing for a few weeks, but I am also going to start working on becoming a DM. I already own the PHB 1&2, DMG and MM1.

This is my next order from Amazon.

Monster Vault

Battle Mat by Chessex

Wet Erase Markers for Battle Mat

Deluxe DM Screen

NPC Cards - (using to add flavor to my story)

These are very well-informed, solid choices. The only thing I would change is buying the Rules Compendium in place of the DM screen.  

I agree with Froths. The Rules Compendium is a must have and could easily replace the DM screen. Though if you can afford both buy both. THe DM screen is beautiful and makes running games even easier. I use it for other non 4e games too.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

I just got some news that have put a bit of a damper on my plans. Currently I own the phb and monster vault for essentials, but I've just been informed that the essentials dm-kit is out of production and not available in my country (the Netherlands) without paying an arm and a leg... I was excited about getting the dm-screen, but I doubt I can get that one either D:

So what would be the best way to continue? I can buy both DMG1 and 2, but are they BOTH necesarry? Or is 2 good enough?
I just got some news that have put a bit of a damper on my plans. Currently I own the phb and monster vault for essentials, but I've just been informed that the essentials dm-kit is out of production and not available in my country (the Netherlands) without paying an arm and a leg... I was excited about getting the dm-screen, but I doubt I can get that one either D:

So what would be the best way to continue? I can buy both DMG1 and 2, but are they BOTH necesarry? Or is 2 good enough?

The DMG 1 is more important/useful than DMG 2 but I personally like a lot of the content in the DMG 2 more. DMG 1 has the hardcore rules and advice for experience monster creation and templates, and a few little nifty tools like random dungeon creators. The DMG 2 comes with invaluable advice and lots of optional rules I love like Boons, henchmen, and inherent bonuses. To be honest if I was you I would try to get both, but the DMG 1 is the most necessary. Or if its possible get the Rules Compendium and the DMG 2. With the Rules Compendium and DMG 2 you would have lots of useful advice for running games and plenty of updated crunch to back it up.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

The DMG 1 is more important/useful than DMG 2 but I personally like a lot of the content in the DMG 2 more. DMG 1 has the hardcore rules and advice for experience monster creation and templates, and a few little nifty tools like random dungeon creators. The DMG 2 comes with invaluable advice and lots of optional rules I love like Boons, henchmen, and inherent bonuses. To be honest if I was you I would try to get both, but the DMG 1 is the most necessary. Or if its possible get the Rules Compendium and the DMG 2. With the Rules Compendium and DMG 2 you would have lots of useful advice for running games and plenty of updated crunch to back it up.

I can't buy the Rules Compendium anywhere either. DMG is a problem too, I only found one place where I can buy it, and I have to bid on it. Hopefully I can win it.

It seems the 4th edition had ended? Meaning nothing is printed anymore?

Edit:

It seems I can still find a copy of the rules compendium at one webstore. So you're saying if I have the rules compendium and the DMG2, I'm all set? Or does the DMG1 have some worthwhile info that's missing in the compendium?  
The DMG1 is mostly a "How to run a game/develop a world" manual, and what rules it contains are in support of that. The Rules Compendium is mainly focused on game mechanics that are used in-play. While some purely rules elements are covered by both - albeit often differently (Essentials/RC handles treasure in a totally different way than the DMG), the RC isn't a stand-in for the DMG.
I just bought DMG1, part two I'll order later in a couple months. The place even had a dm-screen, so I'm glad I have that at least. Now I only have to get my hands on the Rules Compendium. And do you think I should look up all the errata? I'm a beginning DM, with two sessions of the Red Box under my belt. Or do you think it's too much info for me and that stuff like the errata is better suited when I'm more experienced and more familiar with the rules? I've read that the essential (heroes of...) player handbooks covers quite a bit of the rules, and I have one of the two. So I might use that for reference mostly. 

Anyway, thanks for the clarifications guys, very much appreciated :D 
Have you tried Ebay? I check listings daily to look out for deals. I have gotten The PHB 1 for $10 + shipping, and PHB2 for $5 + shipping
It would be best to get the errata. While there is a lot of it, you shouldn't have to worry about memorizing the entire set, because most of it deals with specific powers, items, feats, etc, and is only an issue if those specific ones come into play. The rest mainly consists of clarifications or loophole fixes; only a few of systems received a major overhaul (skill DCs and Stealth, for example).

In addition, the Rules Compendium should incorporate all of the relevant errata to the point of its publication, so the system-level stuff that you might have to deal with separately is generally related to world/creature design.
Have you tried Ebay? I check listings daily to look out for deals. I have gotten The PHB 1 for $10 + shipping, and PHB2 for $5 + shipping

The shipping part is the difficult part . Makes it a whole lot more expensive.

It would be best to get the errata. While there is a lot of it, you shouldn't have to worry about memorizing the entire set, because most of it deals with specific powers, items, feats, etc, and is only an issue if those specific ones come into play. The rest mainly consists of clarifications or loophole fixes; only a few of systems received a major overhaul (skill DCs and Stealth, for example). In addition, the Rules Compendium should incorporate all of the relevant errata to the point of its publication, so the system-level stuff that you might have to deal with separately is generally related to world/creature design.

I'm going to look into it. Thanks!
Sign In to post comments