Spells cast per day?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on an idea for a game and I need some help.  The basic setup is that a curse spreads across the realms, caused by coming in contact with ley lines, and then after a gestation period spreading to any individual targeted with a spell cast by an infected persion.  The effect of the curse is a slight reduction in the effectiveness of the cast spell, as an unknown entity is syphoning off spell energy from every cast.  I'm trying to figure out an estimate for the number of spells cast per day across the realms, to figure out how quickly the stolen energy is accumulating.  

Thanks in advance for any help.   
Well, first you'd need to know how many arcane spellcasters there are in the Realms, which is pretty much nigh-impossible to determine, so what you could do is try to figure out the entire population of the Realms by adding up all the populations they give for all the cities, of course only the major cities ussually have a popultation listed, theres lots of smaller viallges and hamlets that dont even make it on the map, so really I guess your best bet would be to just make something up, but you figure the Earths population during the Middle Ages was around 50 million, so it would make sense that Toril's population is close to that, of course Toril has Dwarves, and Elves and what-not too, not just Humans like Earth, so lets just say its 60,000,000, and you figure wizards are kinda rare, so lets say something like 5% of those people are Wizards, so that would give us like what 3,000,000? My math is horribly bad, but sure lets go with that, so you figure some of those Wizards are gonna be lower level and not cast as many spells as higher level ones, and even higher level wizards migh not cast all their spells in a day, so you figure maybe 6 spells per day on average, maybe a little lower than that, you gotta figure that most Wizards are probably lower level and dont even have 6, but some are more powerful and can get alot more spells, so I dunno 6 sounds good I guess, depending on what edition we're talking about, so that would give us about 18 million spells cast in a day across the Realms, assuming my math is right. Of course not all of these spells would be cast any where near a Ley-Line, or Earth Node as I believe they are called in the Realms.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
I seem to recall something about a 1% of the population figure, but it's really hazy and I don't recall at all where I read it, hell, it might have even been something from Candlekeep and not even remotely 'official'.  Really though, it depends on how rare you want it to be in your particular campaign, what edition you're talking about, which can affect a lot of the figures you're talking about, and how populated you want the world to be.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

you can cast no spells per day in the realms becuase *you* are no wizard
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
futhermore what ruleset are you using and what class are you discusing???

becuase you wont get a straight up reply without that knowledge 
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Which reminds me, are we talking arcane, divine, or both?

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Silversword, thanks for the response, that's the kind of information I was looking to put together.

Stigger, thank you for your help too, I don't actually have an answer for the arcane vs divine, it's not quite that simple but I can't say too much because I know players of this game read this board.  I think I'm going to go with both types of spells, because of the nature of the ultimate badguy.     

sfdragon, I am obviously aware that I am not personally a wizard, and I don't see what in my post inspired you to clarify that assertion, secondly, I don't see what ruleset has to do with the number of spellcasters in the realms and their spells cast per day, and as for what class I'm discussing, it's not even a relevant question, I'm not discussing any specific class at all.   
Actually, it kinda does, as the 3e Realms made it seem like wizards were growing a bit more common than during the 1e or 2e eras, but I'd suspect that's more of a perception issue than anything cast in stone.  4e's spellplague might have also affected overall number of spellcasters, so that could be something to take into consideration as well, and added ritual into the mix, which aren't really spells per se, but sorta kinda maybe are.

- Oscar Wilde

4e Rituals are alot like spells from older editions with the spell components and material costs and all that. In-fact, didnt they descride 3.x e spells as mostly performing a ritual on your down time, then when you go to cast the spell youre actually saying just the last part of the ritual, not reciting the whole spell.

And yeah, the number of spellcasters in the Realms probably is closer to 1% maybe even lower, so probably more like around 600,000 wizards in the realms, so maybe about 3,600,000 spells cast per day on average. Maybe double that if we're adding in Priests, Druids, Shamans, and what-not.  

And Ive been reading up on Earth Nodes, I was thinking they were like Ley-Lines, but turns out theyre actually like pools of power from where Ley Lines interconect or whatever. They dont actually use the word "Ley Lines" though, just "streams of invisible power", sounds like Ley Lines to me, but appreantly on the Realms, theyre all underground.   
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
We're playing in a post spellplague timeline, but using the 3.5 ruleset, thanks again for the responses.  On the topic of ley lines, there isn't a lot of published material that I'm aware of, I just homebrewed it.  They're something most spellcasters are aware of, but only a few people deeply understand them.  They're not super rare, but they aren't common enough to come up in most adventuring. 
spells per day using 3.x ruleset/pathifinder ruleset would then be whatever the caster class says as spells per day + stat modifier..

and I was being very sarcastic.... 
Yeah post Spellplague makes sense, otherwise Mystra would moren likely instantly know something was goin on.
spells per day using 3.x ruleset/pathifinder ruleset would then be whatever the caster class says as spells per day + stat modifier..

and I was being very sarcastic.... 

I'm aware of how the limit of memorized spells per caster is established, what I was in search of are people's thoughts on:

A) number of spellcasters both divine and arcane in the realms - I think we've answered this one
B) typical spells cast per day, per caster - not everyone is going to memorize and cast their full allotment of spells each and every day, 6 per is one guess, that feels a little high to me, there's a lot of days of downtime where few if any spells get cast at all that I think brings the average lower.   
C) I didn't list this in my earlier posts, but any thoughts on a way to do a distribution by level of spells cast, e.g. 30% 1st level, and maybe 2% 9th level and above. 

My end goal is to create some kind of graph of spells cast each day by level, which I can overlay a % affected by the curse as it spreads, to figure out what amount of energy is accumulated by my villain as the campaign builds over time.  I could obviously just swag it, but I thought the attempt at a scientific answer would be fun. 

I would take a stab at it, I'd guess it would look something like this, and I'd kinda be inclined to say the 7th through 9th would be erring fairly high, and would likely be statistical non-entities but for the sake of completeness I'll include them:

0-level: 45 %
1-level: 20 %
2-level: 15 %
3-level: 10 %
4-level:   5 %
5-level:3.5 %
6-level:1.2 %
7-level:  .1 %
8-level:  .1 %
9-level:  .1 % 

- Oscar Wilde

So that'd be 3,600 9th level spells.  I'd bet that of all the spellcasters across the realms capable of 9th level spells, they on average cast less than one per day per person.  At first glance, that seems like too many high level spellcasters, but that only represents .6% of the spellcasting population, less if that 1% of the population was only wizards.  If 1% is arcane, probably 2.5% divine then 3,600 casters is only 1.7% of the 2,100,000 spellcasting population.  That doesn't seem too far out of line. 
does that take into count for bards, rangers and paladins????
does that take into count for bards, rangers and paladins????

I think we agreed to double the figure for wizards to account for other spell casters, maybe 2.5, there might be more preists in the Realms than wizards.
Sign In to post comments