U/W Venser Human Control Help

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
It has been awhile since I have made this deck, as I promised my friends I would never play the deck again. However, they have asked for me to remake the deck against a friend of theirs that is a hardcore reanimator, Iona, Shield of Emeria, Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, Entomb/Exhume with a Dark Ritual, the works. While I would like to be tuned to face this deck, I would like this deck to be able to go toe to toe against a variety of decks without having to switch out too many cards or spend more than necessary to keep it running smoothly. Without further ado, here is the decklist:

Land (22)
3x Evolving Wilds
1x New Benalia
2x Sejiri Refuge
2x Glacial Fortress
7x Plains
7x Island

Creatures (19)
2x Aether Adept
2x Fiend Hunter
2x Augury Owl
2x Archaeomancer
3x Sea Gate Oracle
2x Deadeye Navigator
1x Blade Splicer
1x Angel of Glory's Rise
1x Venser, Shaper Savant
1x Serra Angel
1x Galepowder Mage
1x Aetherling

Spells (13)
2x Path to Exile
1x Render Silent
3x Counterspell
3x Azorius Charm
3x Cloudshift
1x Ghostway

Other Permanents (4)
3x Detention Sphere
1x Venser, the Sojourner  

Sideboard (Rather. the start of one)
1x Lavinia of the Tenth
2x Think Twice
1x Condemn
3x Negate
2x Lone Missionary
1x Sun Titan 

I am a sucker for combos with humans, hence the reason for Angel of Glory's Rise and Fiend Hunter. Any other solid humans that I can use for the deck will be appreciated. I also need help cutting cards to add the following: 3x Preordain 2x Think Twice 1x Fiend Hunter and 2x Spreading Seas Thanks in advance!
Reanimator is the best. Now that that's out of the way lets talk about your deck. Mostly I think your deck looks solid. The problem I see is in consistency. You have a little of ever enter the battle field effect instead of using your side board to tune your deck against your opponent. The single cards don't help your consistency or deck overall that much other then the planeswalker and aetherling. The rest of the single cards should be cut or worked out to 2-4 copies. Depending on your meta azorius charm and at least render silent (although I do love both those cards) would be better off as cheaper control cards. 

To talk about specifically reanimator I have always had a reanimator deck ever since I started in the mid to late 90's. What I can tell you is your deck is to slow to deal with a legacy reanimator. If we where talking modern or anything like that you would have far better odds. I will assume that it is mono black deck as he is running dark ritual. Cards like spell snare, spell pierce, daze, flusterstorm, force spike, path to exile, swords to plowshare and even mental misstep (if your friends will let you use it) are the cards that will save you.

The chance of your opponent getting exhume/entomb/dark ritual in there opening hand is small but can and usually will win the game when it happens. If it is mono black then you only have to worry about discard/removal and he will be slower as he will have to tutor for consistency. In mono black he will be limited on ways to get creatures into the grave yard so focus on countering those spells and let the others pass (some discard spell will require a counter in response depending on how much card draw you have). Then his only chance will be to wait till he has multiple entombs/buried alives in hand or 8 cards in hand to force a discard. Keep your aether adepts and fiend hunters in hand in case an exhume gets by you and in the mean time pick him off with your other creatures until you can drop an aetherling. Any time you force a reanimated card into his hand you usually just killed that card for good unless he runs anything like putrid imp. That is the strategy I see with the cards you have and a decent one depending on how his deck is built. I don't want this to sound like I think you have no experience I am just giving you my suggestions so I apologize if that is the case.

Like I said mono black reanimator is susceptible to counters/bounce and inconsistent with out tutors or slow with them. Let him play is dark rituals and then counter the spell he casts with its mana then you just gained good card advantage and tempo. Cheap control and a little card draw is the key to beating mono black reanimator. U/B reanimator (the best reanimator) is a whole other story.

Sorry for the long post and hope this helps. 

How to Auto Card: [c]Entomb[/c] Becomes Entomb

Reanimator is the best. Now that that's out of the way lets talk about your deck. Mostly I think your deck looks solid. The problem I see is in consistency. You have a little of ever enter the battle field effect instead of using your side board to tune your deck against your opponent. The single cards don't help your consistency or deck overall that much other then the planeswalker and aetherling. The rest of the single cards should be cut or worked out to 2-4 copies. Depending on your meta azorius charm and at least render silent (although I do love both those cards) would be better off as cheaper control cards. 

To talk about specifically reanimator I have always had a reanimator deck ever since I started in the mid to late 90's. What I can tell you is your deck is to slow to deal with a legacy reanimator. If we where talking modern or anything like that you would have far better odds. I will assume that it is mono black deck as he is running dark ritual. Cards like spell snare, spell pierce, daze, flusterstorm, force spike, path to exile, swords to plowshare and even mental misstep (if your friends will let you use it) are the cards that will save you.

The chance of your opponent getting exhume/entomb/dark ritual in there opening hand is small but can and usually will win the game when it happens. If it is mono black then you only have to worry about discard/removal and he will be slower as he will have to tutor for consistency. In mono black he will be limited on ways to get creatures into the grave yard so focus on countering those spells and let the others pass (some discard spell will require a counter in response depending on how much card draw you have). Then his only chance will be to wait till he has multiple entombs/buried alives in hand or 8 cards in hand to force a discard. Keep your aether adepts and fiend hunters in hand in case an exhume gets by you and in the mean time pick him off with your other creatures until you can drop an aetherling. Any time you force a reanimated card into his hand you usually just killed that card for good unless he runs anything like putrid imp. That is the strategy I see with the cards you have and a decent one depending on how his deck is built. I don't want this to sound like I think you have no experience I am just giving you my suggestions so I apologize if that is the case.

Like I said mono black reanimator is susceptible to counters/bounce and inconsistent with out tutors or slow with them. Let him play is dark rituals and then counter the spell he casts with its mana then you just gained good card advantage and tempo. Cheap control and a little card draw is the key to beating mono black reanimator. U/B reanimator (the best reanimator) is a whole other story.

Sorry for the long post and hope this helps. 

I already had kind of a general counter strategy aginst the deck Turn 1: Path to Exile or Unsummon which I might side in Turn 2: Azorius Charm any creature other than Iona. Shield of Emeria or Counterspell Turn 3: My options open up Aether Adept a creature, or Fiend Hunter / Detention Sphere another creature. By turn 4, I think I should be ready to stand a good chance for any more of his graveyard shenanigans. What should be cut for the other cards I want to add in?
I would try cutting detention sphere or fiend hunter and most of your one of's except aetherling.

So far -1 Galepoweder Mage Serra Angel and Render Silent for 3x Preordain Now to find a a way to cram Fiend Hunter in...
well 3 preordain will help but if you only have 3 spots for card draw then jace beleren might be the best option as it is repeatable card draw.

He'd be perfect with Venser, so yes I will be gaining card advantage. I also slipped in Think Twice and my last Fiend Hunter for my 3x Detention Sphere which I can simply switch off as needed.
I think it sounds god.