Humans, the true metarace.

I still wonder why humans still get +1 to all their abilities, while other races have been toned down significantly in that area. Wouldn't be better if they get just +1 to one ability of their choice and some sort of useful extra. Like +1 to one saving throw of their choice (fort, ref, wil)? And maybe some attractive racial feats. I find their current design questionable.
we need at least 1 boring race.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

At the very least, humans should get +1 to two ability scores, the Superior Skill Training Feat, and one additional Feat.

My preference, though, would be for humans to have +1 to two ability scores of choice and have a list of racial options which they can select to compliment that. Instead of making humans the most mechanically boring, how about making the most mechanically varied and interesting?  
I'm in favor of creating human "subraces" that are based not on specific racial types (that's a PC nightmare that WotC understandably wants no part of), but simply the six attributes.

These "subraces" would have advantage on any check related to their chosen ability (i.e., direct ability checks like skills or saving throws, not derived ability checks like attacks, damage, or spells), plus another feature that ties into their chosen ability.  For example...

"Strong Humans" might get bonus weapon proficiencies, "Fast Humans" might get a base speed of 35' instead of 30', "Tough Humans" might get an increased HD size, "Smart Humans" might get more Lore skills, "Pious Humans" might get a free cleric cantrip, and "Charming Humans" might get the ability to attract Followers and a Cohort.

Wounds Module [updated for Basic]

Proficiency Module

All of those require choices, descisions and stuff.

+1 to all stats.  Nothing to think about.  Simple, boring, effective, done.

We need at least one race like that.  For people who don't want to think too hard.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

At the very least, humans should get +1 to two ability scores, the Superior Skill Training Feat, and one additional Feat.

Skills and Feats are optional, so they can't be included in race stats. That said, the way that Wizards is making Feats optional is to give +1 to an ability score OR a feat. So... maybe think of humans that way? +1 to six stats, and you can swap out those pluses for feats?
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
I can accept that people want a boring race, though it makes my brain hurt when I try to figure out why, but the boring/simple options need to be balanced with the cool stuff.

So +1 to all stats isn't gonna work unless the other races get a power up.

Furthermore why does human have to be the boring race? Why not elves? They're already boring. 

We need at least one race like that.  For people who don't want to think too hard.

Since I don't think subraces will be a part of Basic, Humans can still be the boring race over there.  For Standard, though, Humans need to be something more interesting than that.

Proficiency Module

They shouldn't get any bonuses to any stat, just let them have access to classes the other races don't get....oh wait, we can't play that way anymore.

Humans aren't boring at all unless you equate stat modification (or the lack thereof) with boredom. 

Since I don't think subraces will be a part of Basic, Humans can still be the boring race over there.  For Standard, though, Humans need to be something more interesting than that.

I imagine sub-races WILL be a part of basic.  You'll just have a default sub-race.

And you still want something simple for those who want something simple playing in a group of those who want more then simple things.

guides
Power
my builds

I imagine sub-races WILL be a part of basic.  You'll just have a default sub-race.

And you still want something simple for those who want something simple playing in a group of those who want more then simple things.

Ehhh... no, sorry.  Picking which "stat" of subrace you want your human to have is simple enough for a player who has already gone through the process of assigning their ability scores.  Just pick whichever stat has the highest score and move on.

Maybe you're right about the subraces, but I think +1 to all stats is too simple for a Standard game.

Proficiency Module

Skills and Feats are optional, so they can't be included in race stats.

100% correct, which is why I've made the following suggestions in other threads before. It'd be neat if they'd take one of the following two tracks with humans.

OPTION A
Traits
As a human, you have the following racial traits.

Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting ability scores each increase by 1.
Size: Medium.
Speed: 30 feet.
Variable Nature: You may choose up to three traits listed below by substituting two ability score adjustments for each trait chosen.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, as well as a number of additional languages of your choice equal to your Intelligence modifier, provided it is positive.

Human Traits:

• Learned: You gain two skills of your choice and may speak, read, and write one additional language.

• Adaptable: You gain an additional feat of your choice. Your character must meet the feat’s prerequisites as normal.

• Luck of Heroes: You gain a +1 bonus to saving throws.

• Fleetfooted: Your speed increases by 5 feet while you are wearing light armor or no armor.

• Horselord: You gain advantage when making a Handle an Animal or Ride check.

• Giant-Blooded: You are 2 feet taller and 150 pounds heavier than a normal human. You may wield weapons with the two-handed property in one hand so long as they don’t also have the ammunition, double, or reach properties. You count as a large creature for the purposes of carrying capacity, grapple, and knockdown.
    OPTION B

Traits As a human, you have the following racial traits, and may choose two additional bonus traits from the list below.

Ability Score Adjustment: Two of your starting ability scores are each increased by 1.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, as well as a number of additional languages of your choice equal to your Intelligence modifier, provided it is positive.

Bonus Traits:

• Learned: You gain two skills of your choice and may speak, read, and write one additional language.

• Adaptable: You gain an additional feat of your choice. Your character must meet the feat’s prerequisites as normal.

• Fleetfooted: Your speed increases by 5 feet while you are wearing light armor or no armor.

• Giant-Blooded: You are 2 feet taller and 150 pounds heavier than a normal human. You may wield weapons with the two-handed property in one hand so long as they don’t also have the ammunition, double, or reach properties. You count as a large creature for the purposes of carrying capacity, grapple, and knockdown.

Giant-Blooded is a bit over the top, since you can easily increase your weapon damage dice with it. Wielding two Greatswords with ambidexterity? Or Greatsword and Shield? Traits, which increase your WDD already have been removed from other races (Dwarf, Elf).
Possibly. I've always been keen on playing a near-Large human and making a character that's like the Biblical Goliath, Bombaata from Conan the Destroyer, and The Mountain from ASOIAF. It doesn't really matter, though, as the main idea I'm getting across with that is you can give human players numerous options for racial abilities, and it'd be pretty neat if they had a list of traits which they could choose from, which would allow for a race with an incredible amount of variety. Not just in stat bonuses, but in racial abilities as well. And all for less than half-a-page of space in a rulebook.
Stat bonuses have diminishing returns. If you attack with dex, getting more Str doesn't do alot.

So no, it's not worth it 6 feats. It's worth 2 or 3.

guides
Power
my builds

Stat bonuses have diminishing returns. If you attack with dex, getting more Str doesn't do alot. So no, it's not worth it 6 feats. It's worth 2 or 3.

Yep. It'd be way too much trading in one stat bonus for a bonus feat. That could result in a human player having six extra feats, which is insane. If anything, it should be two stat bonuses per feat.
Not quite.

+1 Str doesn't mean much to a wizard. It's not worth a feat for them.
+1 Int doesn't mean much to a fighter. It's not worth a feat for them.

All in all, humans get about 3 feats worth of stuff.

guides
Power
my builds

Not quite. +1 Str doesn't mean much to a wizard. It's not worth a feat for them. +1 Int doesn't mean much to a fighter. It's not worth a feat for them. All in all, humans get about 3 feats worth of stuff.

Huh? Are you responding to me? Because I said...

Yep. It'd be way too much trading in one stat bonus for a bonus feat. That could result in a human player having six extra feats, which is insane. If anything, it should be two stat bonuses per feat.

Two stat bonuses per feat = three feats.
Which is all menaingless since the value of feats tends to be up and down the board.
Which is all menaingless since the value of feats tends to be up and down the board.

True, but if WotC were to allow humans a Stat Bonus --> Feat Substitution ability, then it'd get pretty silly if it were on a 1-to-1 basis. Imagine a human player who trades in all six bonuses and gets six additional feats. Or a player who trades in four bonuses and gets four additional feats all while still having a stat bonus to his two primary stats.

Trading in two stat increases per feat is the most logical route. Then the human can either:

A) Opt for +1 to all six stats. 
B) Opt for +1 to four stats and receive a bonus feat.
C) Opt for +1 to two stats and receive two bonus feats.
Or D) Receive three bonus feats with no stat bonuses.

That wouldn't be bad at all for creating a race with a lot of variety while keeping it simple. I probably should've put that up in my earlier post as Option C.

Either way, any of that is better than the current human, which is both silly and dull.
I missunderstood.

Yea, 1 feat for +1 to 2 stats sounds about right.

I've also suggested lesser feats. +1 to 1 stat and a weaker bonus, like linguist, or other minor boost.

guides
Power
my builds

My point being, GK, that unless the feats get a revamp they're not all worth +1 to an attribute.
True. The dev's mentioned that a while back, though, and that they were going to retool the feats to be equal to a +1 bonus, so the next playtest packet might be where we'll see those retooled and upgraded feats.
Humans shouldn't get circumstancial bonuses like exotic races.
Exotic races have bizarre abilities that interrupt the normal way you play a class. Normal has to be something, and I think the logic reference is the human race.

Personnally, I don't see any interest in circomstancial abilities coming from race, so please, just leave at least one race to play for people thinking like me.
If humans gain something special, it should be related to class system.
Humans should have the more diverse cultural ways to handle classes, but in the past, D&D has always done the reverse, making non humans having more class options.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

Humans are the true master race. With all those +1s, I can easily get more higher stats then other races.

monsieur, please define circumstantial in this context.
Being underground is a circumstance, where a race get's a bonus.
Being by larger creatures is a circumstance.
Making a spot check
getting poisoned
ect...

Humans don't have to worry about any of that.

guides
Power
my builds

Agreed those are iffy race powers in general.

I like features that are generally useful like what most of the races tried to do in 4e. 
Not quite. +1 Str doesn't mean much to a wizard. It's not worth a feat for them. +1 Int doesn't mean much to a fighter. It's not worth a feat for them. All in all, humans get about 3 feats worth of stuff.

Everyone seems to forget that all ability scores are used as defenses now. +1 to all stats is rather helpful.

If the other races got +2 to a single stat, I would start to consider +1 to all stats comparable. I don't like it that the demi-humans aren't better than humans in their chief areas. 

Poe's Law is alive and well.

As much I like the +1s, I already miss the extra skill and feat. 

Hello option opportunity

Humans get the choice of +1 to all stats, or +1 to 2 stats and an extra feat.

Yeah. At the very least, I'd like to an option to be able to trade in two stat bonuses for Superior Skill Training and another two stat bonuses for an additional bonus feat, leaving a +1 bonus which can be applied to two stats of the player's choice. It'd be nice to have that option, and if you're playing in a campaign where skills and feats aren't being used, then you can still play a human with +1 to all six stats.

I just hope that there're some options, because having all humans have +1 to all six stats is both nonsensical and boring. It's ridiculous that every single human is as smart and agile as every single High Elf AND is stronger, tougher, wiser, and more charismatic, too. It'd be much better if the typical human were +1 to two stats of the players choice along with some other racial abilities, in which case every human won't be as smart or agile as the average High Elf, because only some of them will have Dex/Int bonuses, while the rest will have bonuses in 1 out of 14 other possible stat combinations.
Let me go ahead and repost this with a few additions. Again, this is just an example of what could be done, so the specifics of the racial traits are unimportant. Any one of these would be nice, and most of them would keep the current human while also presenting a few fun and interesting options.

OPTION A
Traits 

Variable Nature: You may choose up to three traits listed below by substituting two ability score adjustments for each trait chosen.

Human Traits:

OPTION B

Traits
As a human, you have the following racial traits, and may choose two additional bonus traits from the list below.

Ability Score Adjustment: Two of your starting ability scores are each increased by 1.

Bonus Traits:

OPTION C

Traits

Variable Nature: You may substitute two ability score adjustments in exchange for a bonus feat of your choice. Your character must meet the feat's prerequisites as normal. You may receive up to three bonus feats using this method by exchanging all six ability score adjustments. 
OPTION D
Traits

Variable Nature: You may substitute two ability score adjustments in exchange for the Superior Skill Training feat, and an additional two ability score adjustments in exchange for a feat of your choice. Your character must meet the feat's prerequisites as normal. 

In the trade ability scores for bonus feats you should specify that you need to qualify for a feat with the reduced score, it should be obvious but wriggle room is the enemy here.

Really interesting write ups though. 

Not really, we don't.
Players shouldn't be thinking of stats and numbers when they create characters. "I want to play a Dwarf Thief because I like Dwarfs and Thieves. And he's going to wield a spear and be good at cooking." Done. Stats, feats, numbers... all that comes later just to mold the idea into the playable system.

And if the player doesn't even want to think that much (I really don't see why he wants to play an RPG if he isn't interest in even building his character's idea), he can just go for something like "Ok, my character will be like Legolas." Then you give him: Elf, Fighter, Bow. Done.

The game shouldn't be made for players who don't care about playing the game, not if it comes at the expense of making it more boring for those who do care about playing an interesting game. Making your own character is the most primal thing for a player, his most personal experience with the game. If the player can't bother with even that, the game shouldn't bother with that kind of player. He can play whatever anyway.

Bonus skill + bonus feat (or something similar) is a great way to make Humans interesting, and a great way to express diversity. It's a great way to express that without having to go into details of each possible human ethnic group in the world. If the player doesn't want to think much he picks an obvious skill and feat and is done with that. But if he's into creating something different and interesting, the possibility is available to him without being forced to play another race he doesn't want to.
^ Agreed. I find the current human relentlessly boring. I'd like something more out of it than having a +1 to three or four stats which would be utterly useless to me no matter which class I've selected. And on top of which it doesn't make a shred of sense from an ingame perspective. +1 to two stats of the player's choice, that makes sense, because there're 15 potential stat combinations, so only 6.6% of the human race would have the same stat bonuses of a High Elf, a Mountain Dwarf, etc. That means that High Elves are still more agile and smarter on average than 93.4% of the human race. How it currently stands is pretty silly, though, because presently every single human is as agile and as smart as every single High Elf AND is smarter, tougher, wiser, and more charismatic to boot. Every single Human is as tough and as wise as every single Mountain Dwarf AND is stronger, more agile, smarter, and more charismatic, too, and so on.

The races are already stupidly simple as-is. Do we really need a race which is even more dumbed down? Seriously, if you look at the current player races and think they're too complicated then something tells me you'd have problems keeping your mouth closed to prevent yourself from drooling all over the game table. If anything, how about going in the OPPOSITE direction with humans, and make humans the more complex choice? Allow humans to have a list of options from which they can select racial abilities, making it possible to have an entire party of humans, none of whom are alike?

Or at the very least, as above, just recreate the 3E Human, only with stat bonuses. +1 to any two stats of your choice, the Superior Skill Training feat, one additional feat of your choice, and done. That's still incredibly simple and yet it would allow for an incredible amount of variability. And if skills and feats are optional for the campaign then simply provide an optional rule which translates those two extra feats back into additional stat bonuses and you're done. Options + Simplicity. What could be wrong with that?
It's not about numbers, or even directly about balance, it's about what the player has to remember.

If your a dwarf, but constantly forget your poision resist, you feel bad. If your a halfling and forget your rerolls, you feel bad.

If your human, there's nothing to remeber. You can completely ignore the racial section of your page.

guides
Power
my builds

It's not about numbers, or even directly about balance, it's about what the player has to remember.

If your a dwarf, but constantly forget your poision resist, you feel bad. If your a halfling and forget your rerolls, you feel bad.

I'd feel worse about not having any racial abilities or benefits whatsoever.

And again, the races are currently ridiculously simple as-is. How difficult would it be to remember Dwarven Resilience or Lucky? The only people for whom this would be a serious problem are people with short-term memory issues and people who wear diapers because they're too stupid to properly work the toilet.

If your human, there's nothing to remeber. You can completely ignore the racial section of your page.

Why would you want to? Race is one of the most important elements of character creation.
I find it's not so much how complex or involved the racepoweers are, but rather how signifigant they are, and how often they come up, that influrnces if they get remembered.

Putting them on the front page of the character sheet helps as well.
Just because people arn't smart enough to use a toilet doesn't mean they shouldn't play D&D.

They can have a race.

guides
Power
my builds

1.) A person has to be able to read to play dnd. So yes a certain minimal level of general competence is assumed.

2.) A person so dumb that making the race powers invisible actually helps is not gonna be able to play the game at all because they'll never get the rules for the basic character actions, to say nothing of feats, skills, or class features.

3.) Why does it have to be humans who are boring? 

4.) A simple race still needs to be balanced with the complex ones. (i'd prefer all the other races got a bump, but they need to be brought in line somehow.) 
Sign In to post comments