What's up with Modern Masters?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
A lot of people have recommended it to me...but I don't understand two things:

1. What's so great about it compared to say RtR, GC, MM, or any other expansions for that matter?
2. Why the heck does it cost so much when it can't be used in tournaments?
Its a set consisting of reprints of some of the best cards of the past decade. The average power level of the cards in Modern Masters is much, much higher than your average booster pack. Many of the uncommons in the set are worth as much money as rares you'll pull in a set like Gatecrash, and some of the rares like Tarmogoyf are among the most valuable cards ever printed. There's also a guarantee of one foil per pack, and some of these cards in foil are seriously valuable. 

These cards aren't legal in Standard tournaments, but that's only the most common tournament type. Modern and Legacy tournaments allow these cards, and Modern is pretty popular these days from what I hear. 

Depending on who you ask, these packs are either a great deal or a colossal waste of money. They're typically sold at a much higher rate than the suggested retail price, with a box of 24 packs costing roughly $250 USD while a typical booster box is 36 packs for only $100 USD.

If your interest is in getting into Standard tournaments, Modern Masters isn't worth it for you. If you like Modern and other older formats, or if you like the idea of drafting packs with a much higher power level than typical sets, it could be a good investment. I'm personally about to purchase an entire box of Modern Masters to open, sleeve, re-pack, and have to repeatedly draft with friends for as long as I want.

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Ahh I see,
Yeah, gatecrashers is cool but introduces so many new mechanics it doesn't have that classic Magic play feeling.
Extort...god...I hate that abilities existence lol.
But at the level that I'm playing now, and will be playing, just casual with friends, I can't justify spending twice as much for less cards.
The last deck of magic cards I bought was when Ice Age was released...how things have changed!
But I'm really liking the look of the Gruul guild, and the Simic guild, I think I'll just grab a gatecrashers booster box and see how I dig it.
But yeah, magic was already pretty complicated to begin with before they started making all these new mechanics, a big part of me yearns for a deck with no dual color cards.
1. What's so great about it compared to say RtR, GC, MM, or any other expansions for that matter?

It contains many rare, powerful cards, and very few bad cards (as opposed to most sets which have very few godly cards and mostly crappy ones)
2. Why the heck does it cost so much when it can't be used in tournaments?

They can be used in tournaments. Whoever told you otherwise is lying.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

While I kind of like the term "gatecrashers", the expansion set in question is actually called just "Gatecrash".

My recommendation is, at least for now, focus on standard and to ignore Modern Masters. Focus first on foremost on learning to play well and also on building up a good deck.
just curious as to how you're using Extort. I find that a lot of people don't like it because it's being used incorrectly.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

How is it being used incorrectly? What I find is that people use cards, like Blind Obedience, that happen to have extort, which they then forget to use.
My experience is that newer players treat it like an activated ability they can pump any amount of mana into (which is wrong and much more powerful).

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
My experience is that newer players treat it like an activated ability they can pump any amount of mana into (which is wrong and much more powerful). ~ Tim

This. Most people that think it's an OP ability are using it as a huge mana sink and not a "pay one per trigger" ability.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Sign In to post comments