What is your biggest annoyance?

93 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bored at work, lets make a fun thread =)

What is your biggest annoyance regarding Standard Magic? Could be how people react to a particular card/deck, a certain mechanic you hate (MIRACLES), or whatever. Mine is....

"(During Summer) Why would I play this card? IT'S ROTATING SOON, I NEED TO FIND A MUCH WORSE CARD TO PLAY WITH FOR 3 MONTHS." 
I hate Miracles without something like Ponder or Preordain in the format. I refuse to play them at all because Black didn't get one, but I hate them even more when they can't be set up. If I get blown out by a stupid and powerful (miracle cost) card, I'd rather it be because my opponent tactically set it up that way rather than them just getting a lucky rip.
Tilting. Loud tilting to be specific. FNM often sounds like a torture chamber full of people crying because they have no grasp on manipulating variance. They throw something together only hours before the actual tournament and get twisted up about "well, if I drew x, I would have won." - The whole "entitled to win" thing enfuriates me.

People who call anything in Magic "correct." Possibly my only gripe about Sam Black. 

People who test something they brainstormed against another deck that hasn't distinguished itself and then assume it's variances fault when they don't perform well at a tournament (even FNM.)

People who are afraid of being seen as a newbie.

People who are rude to newbies or outsiders to the shop.

People who are rude specifically to women at tournaments of any level.

IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I was gonna say the secondary card market...

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules and Formats

Tips & Tricks

Astarael7 wrote:
As for the weird implications you raised, we ignore them by sticking our fingers in our ears, squeezing our eyes shut, and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" at the top of our lungs.
Tilting. Loud tilting to be specific. FNM often sounds like a torture chamber full of people crying because they have no grasp on manipulating variance. They throw something together only hours before the actual tournament and get twisted up about "well, if I drew x, I would have won." - The whole "entitled to win" thing enfuriates me.

People who call anything in Magic "correct." Possibly my only gripe about Sam Black. 

People who test something they brainstormed against another deck that hasn't distinguished itself and then assume it's variances fault when they don't perform well at a tournament (even FNM.)

People who are afraid of being seen as a newbie.

People who are rude to newbies or outsiders to the shop.

People who are rude specifically to women at tournaments of any level.

Lol, I might have to retrack that and go with what you said first Wynz. 

It is beyond annoying when someone goes the passive aggressive route and saying "Well if you didn't have card x during turn y I so had that game won". Most of the time people exaggerate how lucky the winner got. Even if I won off a lucky rip keep that sh!t to yourself.

Playing with Reanimator the last two weeks I've seen this quite frequently at my local FNMS. Slimed out control  a few times and got the "netdeck" and "better lucky than good" remarks. Lol, just got to laugh at those people. It offers nothing constructive and makes you look like a whiny b!tch. 
The biggest annoyance for me is when my deck actively hates me lol. No matter how good i shuffle there are days were i have to mulligan(often times down to 5) every round because my deck doesn't like to give me that ratio for a good start. Btw, no, my deck isn't a train wreck. It's been fine tuned but the magic gods deem it every so often that you just get a big steaming pile dropped on you every now and then.

Honorable mention- People that have these garbage rougue decks that somehow happen to have every answer to your deck in their hand when they need it and i mean they are steaming piles, barely good enough for kitchen table. 
Rude behavior and arrogance are the two biggest annoyances. These are people issues rather than magic issues. Rude and arrogant people play other formats too.

My biggest gripe is color pie encroachment and a lack of support to select colors.
Miracles, at my local game store, ive lost against the same naya aggro deck 3 weeks in a row where the guy is playing 4 Revenge of the Hunted in the mainboard and he consistantly miracles it early in the game to swing and hit me in the face for stupid amounts of damage while also clearing my board presence. Even beyond the fact that black didn't get a miracle, I just hate miracles as a mechanic, its obnoxious that this one mechanic can turn a game of chance into an even bigger game of chance where you can put your enemy at a severe disadvantage through luck.

Another annoyance in the game is that when one or 2 colors are doing particularly well thats all that everyone seems to play, I know they want the best deck, but it gets annoying playing against the same deck over and over and over; theres nothing anyone can do about this, its just a gripe.

I tend to play decks that are fiscally cheap so when I play a deck that someone spent hundreds of dollars on and get beat out because of the power levels of some of the cards im facing it can get slightly annoying; its like bringing a knife to a gun fight, again, just a gripe.

wizard's using "symmetry" as an excuse to give white anything, better yet I want them to better define white's color pie. In my opinion white has the weakest color identity amongst the colors, it can basically do anything so long as it also affects the other players in the game, renounce the guilds, rest in peace, etc... it annoys me that after all of this time they can't reasonably put limitations on whites side of the color pie while they can so easily apply such restrictions to other colors in the color pie.

black and reds inability to uncomfortably deal with their weaknesses; let me explain, green had the problem of not having kill spells to deal with problematic creatures for a very long time, so to counter act this weakness wizards introduced the fight mechanic, the fight mechanic allows green to have targeted creature removal but it doesn't give them good targeted creature removal, the fight mechanic allows green to address their problem in an uncomfortable manner. It annoys me that black and red cannot get an uncomfortable way to deal with their weaknesses, blue has counter magic and the ability to bounce permanents, white has oblivion ring, green has the fight mechanic, but red has no way to address enchantments and black has no way to address artifacts or enchantments once they have hit the battlefield.
My biggest gripe is that there are something like 1000 possible standard cards and only 75 of them are constructed playable.  The whole format is totally degenerate.  

I have no idea if modern or legacy are more or less interesting in this regard, because they are just too expensive to even consider.
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
I hate Miracles without something like Ponder or Preordain in the format. I refuse to play them at all because Black didn't get one, but I hate them even more when they can't be set up. If I get blown out by a stupid and powerful (miracle cost) card, I'd rather it be because my opponent tactically set it up that way rather than them just getting a lucky rip.

I only play monoblue because no other color got snapcaster mage.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Miracles, at my local game store, ive lost against the same naya aggro deck 3 weeks in a row where the guy is playing 4 Revenge of the Hunted in the mainboard and he consistantly miracles it early in the game to swing and hit me in the face for stupid amounts of damage while also clearing my board presence. Even beyond the fact that black didn't get a miracle, I just hate miracles as a mechanic, its obnoxious that this one mechanic can turn a game of chance into an even bigger game of chance where you can put your enemy at a severe disadvantage through luck.

Another annoyance in the game is that when one or 2 colors are doing particularly well thats all that everyone seems to play, I know they want the best deck, but it gets annoying playing against the same deck over and over and over; theres nothing anyone can do about this, its just a gripe.

I tend to play decks that are fiscally cheap so when I play a deck that someone spent hundreds of dollars on and get beat out because of the power levels of some of the cards im facing it can get slightly annoying; its like bringing a knife to a gun fight, again, just a gripe.

wizard's using "symmetry" as an excuse to give white anything, better yet I want them to better define white's color pie. In my opinion white has the weakest color identity amongst the colors, it can basically do anything so long as it also affects the other players in the game, renounce the guilds, rest in peace, etc... it annoys me that after all of this time they can't reasonably put limitations on whites side of the color pie while they can so easily apply such restrictions to other colors in the color pie.

black and reds inability to uncomfortably deal with their weaknesses; let me explain, green had the problem of not having kill spells to deal with problematic creatures for a very long time, so to counter act this weakness wizards introduced the fight mechanic, the fight mechanic allows green to have targeted creature removal but it doesn't give them good targeted creature removal, the fight mechanic allows green to address their problem in an uncomfortable manner. It annoys me that black and red cannot get an uncomfortable way to deal with their weaknesses, blue has counter magic and the ability to bounce permanents, white has oblivion ring, green has the fight mechanic, but red has no way to address enchantments and black has no way to address artifacts or enchantments once they have hit the battlefield.

Give Rosewater more time, he'll give white reanimation and targeted creature destruction and act as if it was there the whole time. Then, he'll bleed discard into blue and turn black into the mill color of choice.
Restoration Angel blinking Augur of Bolas, flipping over Sphinx's Revelation.

More generally, having to run Skullcrack MD in aggressive decks because lifegain is so good right now.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM

Give Rosewater more time, he'll give white reanimation and targeted creature destruction and act as if it was there the whole time. Then, he'll bleed discard into blue and turn black into the mill color of choice.

Actually they HAVE reanimation, they just dont use it much since they tend to feel that black needs to get something semi unique/cheapish.

Overall I personally get annoyed at the development team that tends to lazy when designing red anymore. That isnt to say I mind the burn that has a interesting mechanic like magma spray, pillar of flame or magma jet, but litterally every set so far has had a varient of 3cc grab a creature wack someone with it. Sure thats usefull in both standard and limited but how bout designing a decent relevance on 1-4 CC creatures or at least give us ember hauler in the core set as the two drop dejuer. I really dont need to see overcosted or silly mechanic dragon #4328. I really dont need to see 7 different 4 drops in the enviorment that are relevant but with no way in the aggro color to actually stay alive long enough to cast them. If your going to make red the color for dark ritual and its brethren, make red dark ritual and see how it plays one season, we cant break it unless you print it and something to you know decent to go along with it. Lastly make a RELEVANT chandra. I dont mean make a chandra with jace the mind sculpter brokenness. But every time I see you make a new chandra I winge. Nalar is about the only one that has SOMETHING decent too it on its own.

I also think that black, as a whole is OK now that they arent afraid to actually give black creatures a curve. What they really DO need to do is get off the whole black can do anything but kill artifacts or enchantments and narrow it down to what black actually does in the real world. Or actually design black so it CAN do anything but at a price, preferably in some selfish way.

Lasly Im getting annoyed on this aggro on aggro matchup. I in genreal like to play aggro. But the unique cards that you made to make control and combo were the best part of actually you know winning with a aggro deck. Especially now that they wont print pyroclasm or infest varients so that aggro on aggro matches cant be decided on who SB better. Nope its about what color got the better curve/ more solid creatures and the relevancy they have. It just gets old the 100th time you play that.

Sorry about the red rant but I feel while red has some interesting things in standard, it always seems to be the thing last designed by the development team compaired to some colors.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
I absolutely agree with you on red. We get
Show
Young Pyromancer
now, but what I'd really ike to see isn't another good 2-drop.

I literally posted this minutes ago in FSS, but what I'd really love to see in red is a powerful, constructed playable burn spell, that doubles as reach but doesn't automatically outshine every other burn spell as the go-to 4-of.

Something that you'd often want to play as a 2-of, because it's really good, but would rarely play as an auto-4-of. Something that makes red deckbuilding feel more like your own choice than pushing you to play the same three burn spells in every list. That, I would love to see.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
White does have reanimation that is restricted to cost or type. Such as Reveillark, Sun Titan or Replenish. I'm talking about unrestricted reanimation on par with Unburial Rites or Dread Return.
@alien, see thats the problem you cant have one without the other unless you make the card something like

(r) sorcery
deal 4 to target creature~ deal 2 to target player

Which decent enough for the curent meta to be usefull, and have the legs for later game burn but folks wont play it for speed. If it was instant it be compeating since it have to be either rare to mythic in the current development cycle to stay at that cost since they care more about limited use than standard when it comes to relevant burn. Which is why we get some godawful burn that deals 5 for 5cc or the like more than we get efficant things like searing spear or bolt in standard.

@Slaugh Resurrection  is what I was thinking in terms of.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
There's plenty of options to make burn spells that are powerful, but not auto-4-ofs. This is the one I posted in FSS, based on a post I made in YMTC:

Instant
Deals 3 damage to target creature, 3 damage to target player and 6 damage to you.

Powerful enough to see play, risky enough to limit it.

I can throw out, like, three other designs off the top of my head, but I want to save them for YMTC contests. =)
Ehh the downsides too big for late game. I wouldnt play it in any build unless I had something that prevented personal damage like runed halo or if you tapped 2 damage off and it only delt 4 to yourself. Cause really even in a sui red build I'm not going to hand anyone more than a 5th of my available life for only 3 measly damage.
It's inherently symmetrical - you get to deal 3 damage to a creature while burning to the face at the same time. It's a Landfalled Searing Blaze every time, without the need for fetches and 2 more lands than you'd otherwise play.

It would suck against aggro, be brilliant against control, and be one of the cards that can really save an aggro deck against a midrange opponent - as long you don't have to play them in multiples.

At the worst, it would be a great sideboard card. At the best, a 2-of MD. But you'd never play more than 3 all in all, and that would probably be pushing it too.
White does have reanimation that is restricted to cost or type. Such as Reveillark, Sun Titan or Replenish. I'm talking about unrestricted reanimation on par with Unburial Rites or Dread Return.

Not really. That is white's typical set-up, but it does get doses of unconditional as well.  See Defy Death as an example in standard. Its a rare abillity for white but it is there. Older examples I can think of off-hand include Breath of Life, Marshal's Anthem, Reya Dawnbringer.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
Its a tie between Bant Hexproof, Kessig Wolf Run, and Thundermaw Hellkite.

(at)MrEnglish22

Do games even last long enough for Thundermaw to be cast nowadays?
The worst for me is repeatedly losing what should be good matchups for me due to drawing all the wrong cards at all the wrong times.  I lost round 1 of my last SCG Open to Bant Hexproof.  I lost both games to a Geist of Saint Traft, with a Liliana in my hand, because I couldn't find one of 15 or so other removal spells to kill the single mana dork that was getting in the way.
My deck has answers for just about anything, it's just a matter of giving me whatever cards happen to be irrelevant at this point in the game.
Acidic Slime because land denial is simply no fun to play against. If I'm going to lose the game, I'd still like to participate in it.

Voice of Resurgence because I like to play draw-go control.

Sire of Insanity because I like to play draw-go control.

Liliana of the Veil because I like to play draw-go control.
Do games even last long enough for Thundermaw to be cast nowadays?

Against me they do

(at)MrEnglish22

Play irresponsible aggro, games never last.
That Red always gets that one high-priced rare (every set) that's like, "6RR: Flip a coin. Then, choose a number at random from 1-6. After that, discard a card at random. If you flipped heads, chose an even number, and discarded a permanent, do something irrelevant. Otherwise, your opponent does something irrelevant."

Basically, once you make it over the 5 CMC spot for Red, mine as well call it quits. 

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

That Red always gets that one high-priced rare (every set) that's like, "6RR: Flip a coin. Then, choose a number at random from 1-6. After that, discard a card at random. If you flipped heads, chose an even number, and discarded a permanent, do something irrelevant. Otherwise, your opponent does something irrelevant."

Basically, once you make it over the 5 CMC spot for Red, might as well call it quits. 

Wait you mean there are cards after 5cc in red....I thought they were just painted bits of cardboard that had nothing to do with the rest of the game, barring a few random giants. 

That.
I hate that the kids at the tournements judge you on the budget of your deck. For some reason if they see you'er not playing with nothing but shock or dual lands, you're crap.  and they treat you like it. "I have teeth that are older than you!! stop being so rude, dicks!"

I hate that they barrow damn near 10 cards from their buddy to win. If you dont own the card, go f-ing buy it!
I hate when after you play them, they name off 100 different cards that would "go great in your deck'' and expect you to know them.
I hate when you're playing someone, and their buddies come up to the table, start having a convo with them and start telling them what to play and when to play it.
I hate after playing countless of test matches at home or with friends and when it comes time to play for the real deal, I mull to 5 just to get something decent.
I hate that the kids at the tournements judge you on the budget of your deck. For some reason if they see you'er not playing with nothing but shock or dual lands, you're crap.  and they treat you like it. "I have teeth that are older than you!! stop being so rude, dicks!"

I hate that they barrow damn near 10 cards from their buddy to win. If you dont own the card, go f-ing buy it!
I hate when after you play them, they name off 100 different cards that would "go great in your deck'' and expect you to know them.
I hate when you're playing someone, and their buddies come up to the table, start having a convo with them and start telling them what to play and when to play it.
I hate after playing countless of test matches at home or with friends and when it comes time to play for the real deal, I mull to 5 just to get something decent.

This is the most awkward gripe I've ever seen.

The first one is a bunch of stuck up kids. The second one, i have no issue with. People borrow cards all the time.
The third one, they're trying to be nice.
The fourth one, if you're playing in a tournament, call a judge or store owner and get them to bugger off. Its against the rules to get outside help, and can lead to a game loss rather easily.
The last one, I know your feeling. **** happens, random is random. I mulled to five in seven games this weekend, still managed to go X-1 X-2 in the tournaments I played and was in the money. 

(at)MrEnglish22

For me its Voice of Resurgence and Geist of Saint Traft (Im playing a RDW so u can figure).

Jund Midrange.

Also, just feeling blah lately. Thinking of scrapping everything for a RUG mindshrieker deck. 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Jund Midrange.

Also, just feeling blah lately. Thinking of scrapping everything for a RUG mindshrieker deck. 

QFT. Idk why but something makes me mad when Jund Midrange player goes Farseek into a huntmaster, into a tusk, into a olivia.

Yeah, I'm an aggro player, so that usually means I lost.

My biggest grudge, is overly competitive people. Be competitive all you want at a PTQ or something but at a FNM don't act like a smart ass.

My first LGS I went too had 2 overly competitive sore losers that cost the LGS some business including my group of me and my friends. The LGS kicked them out for 2 months, then let them back in and we never went back since.

Now at our current LGS people are less competitive, as well as I'm slowly becomming friends with them as well.

Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats
What exactly is "overly competitive?"

Also, there's this one guy at an LGS, free sunday tournament. Called for a judge 4 times in 4 rounds. He does this consistently.

Nobody likes him. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Also, there's this one guy at an LGS, free sunday tournament. Called for a judge 4 times in 4 rounds. He does this consistently.

Nobody likes him. 

My bad, what I meant by that is...

Someone who is net picking on everything like if you think something works this way but he thinks something different he'll be snotty and be like... "NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT!" Instead of saying, "You actually can't do that, you see how this is work is..." and if he's right and you apolagize he'll just glare at you with a face that will look like he'll kill you, instead of saying "That's allright, keep on playing."   
Decks I play: Modern: R/G Tron B/w Soul Sisters EDH: Gisela Midrange Edric Tap em down n' Swing Karrthus, the dragonlord Kaervek, the troll. Standard: The Aristocrats

Nobody likes him. 

Someone who is net picking on everything like if you think something works this way but he thinks something different he'll be snotty and be like... "NO, YOU CAN'T DO THAT IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT!" Instead of saying, "You actually can't do that, you see how this is work is..." and if he's right and you apolagize he'll just glare at you with a face that will look like he'll kill you, instead of saying "That's allright, keep on playing."   

For what its worth, its "nit picking."

Also, he just seems like an angry person. And probably has issues conducting himself in a friendly manner. Might have a high stress job.

(at)MrEnglish22

Nobody likes him. 

For what its worth, its "nit picking."

Also, he just seems like an angry person. And probably has issues conducting himself in a friendly manner. Might have a high stress job.

That might be a little generous. C'mon, we've all encountered this type of person who is clearly just a dick, because they're insecure or something.
knit picking
that's a looming idea
what's wrong with smooth ?

I really should explore the were wolf mechanic. (if a spell was not cast this turn)
if I'm playing blue counter spell. I may nnot cast spells on my turn frequently.
NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

LXD (animation battle) - The Good,The Bad & The RA

RUG mindshrieker deck. 

This sounds amazing, list please.
RUG mindshrieker deck. 

This sounds amazing, list please.

I concur.  It might be the fact that I can't even fathom what this list will look like. And are you milling yourself (Splinterfright and Boneyard Wurm) or the opponent (Jace's Phantasm)?

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

Sign In to post comments