Magic Ammunitions and Magic Bows

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was discussing with some friends that also are DM. My doubt was: DO magic bows waste ammunitions, or they all are like Dungeons and Dragons (the animation) ones? And do Magic Ammunitions lose their effects after the use, or they work as Encounter effects, and u can grab them to use in the next encounter?

This is the magic bows i think is the right ones, i mean, the magic bows, using no ammunition.
Hank
By default, a magic bow uses ammunition just like a normal bow. There are magical bow that have the property of not requiring ammunition but that is their special property.

Magic ammunition is consumed once used.

Also note that magic ammunition and magic bow don't combine their bonuses. If you have a +5 bow firing a +1 fiery bolt, you'lll be using the +1 bonus for attack and damage rolls.

Also note that magic ammunition and magic bow don't combine their bonuses. If you have a +5 bow firing a +1 fiery bolt, you'lll be using the +1 bonus for attack and damage rolls.

Not completely accurate (unless there's errata that I'm unaware of).

From MME, pg 36:
"You can fire magic ammunition WITHOUT activating it, using your weapon's enhancement bonus and receiving no benefit from the ammunition's magic. The ammunition is still expended."

So, with your +5 bow, you can shoot a +1 fiery bolt AS A NORMAL BOLT and receive +5 attack and damage bonus, but no effect from the Fiery Bolt.      

As far as I'm concerned unless you're running a game where keeping track of things like arrows is extremely important this is more a fluff than crunch question. Would you rather shoot magical lasers, or real arrows?

Not completely accurate (unless there's errata that I'm unaware of).

From MME, pg 36:
"You can fire magic ammunition WITHOUT activating it, using your weapon's enhancement bonus and receiving no benefit from the ammunition's magic. The ammunition is still expended."

So, with your +5 bow, you can shoot a +1 fiery bolt AS A NORMAL BOLT and receive +5 attack and damage bonus, but no effect from the Fiery Bolt.      

Right. Basically if you are going down the magic ammo route you're best off just sticking with magic ammo and forget the bow, or use a somewhat weaker bow, like say at level 10 you might just use a straight up +1 bow, maybe with a weak enchantment. If you are forced to fire normal ammo you won't lose out too badly, but the cost is trivial. The extra money can be used to load up on magic ammo if the DM will let you. That way you can add another nice effect to your attacks, which for say a TSing ranger can be quite a formidable addition to an already potent attack (IE some more bonus damage, an added effect, or some minor area damage).

Another possibility being firing some alchemical ammo now and then. The bow doesn't help you at all there, so again you can skimp on your weapon and use the savings to buy up stuff that can provide some interesting effects.

There are other consumables that can be used in similar ways. Clearly its possible to run into trouble if the DM holds back on treasure or makes consumables hard to get, but they can be a viable alternative to other types of items.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
I am looking in the compendium and I cannot find the reference that says the bonuses do not stack. Can you share which book that it in?
I am looking in the compendium and I cannot find the reference that says the bonuses do not stack. Can you share which book that it in?

Adventurer's Vault 2, page 26.  Not all the rules are in the online compendium.  For example, you won't find entries on how companions and familiars work.
Got it. I guess I should have started with the books. I was expecting the compendium to be complete.

Thanks
Got it. I guess I should have started with the books. I was expecting the compendium to be complete.

Thanks

Even in places where the compendium is complete, it's not 100% accurate (and occasionally it doesn't even have the source of the entry correct).  The compendium, and the online character builder by extension are not rules sources. 
   Its still a useful tool, but any rules question should always be cross referenced against the books and/or errata documents.

As for the question from the OP, Rules as Written, magic bows still use arrows unless the magical bow properties say otherwise.  However, unless you're in a campaign where resources are always scarce (like a hardcore Dark Sun campaign), arrows are so cheap that most people don't even bother tracking them by level 5 (or even earlier).  I'd say its up to DM discretion to let some more magic bows not require ammunition (it's a very minor benefit), and then only require ammunition to be spent if actually using special ammunition.

Sign In to post comments