[M14] New Staple Spells you'd like to see in M14

88 posts / 0 new
Last post
By staple spell, I'm talking about fairly basic (almost vanilla) effects from Searing Spear up to Day of Judgment. The sort of spell that with one line of text that you might assume already exists, but doesn't yet (look how long it took them to create Murder).

I have a short list...

Mental Preparations -
Instant (C)
Search your library for a card and put it in your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Tectonic Implosion -
Sorcery (R)
Destroy all lands.

Leech -
Instant (U)
Remove all counters from target permanent.

Wrath of Nature -
Sorcery (U)
Destroy target permanent.

Decree Absolute -
Sorcery (R)
Exile target permanent.  

Mana Ring -
Artifact (C)
: Add to your mana pool.

a couple of others which weren't quite vanilla enough

Sphere of Blessed Souls -
Enchantment (R)
Creature cards can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or from exile.

Mimic Aura -
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Creature
As Mimic Aura enters the battlefield, choose an ability from haste, islandwalk, lifelink, first strike, flying, reach, trample, deathtouch, vigilance, intimidate or hexproof.
Enchanted creature has the chosen ability.
I like most of them. Mimic Aura would say 'As,' not 'When.'

And I see you ninja-edit'd. 
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

Thanks Kedar - and I really should read my post before posting to prevent ninja-editing! What I really wanted Mimic Aura to say is "As Mimic Aura enters the battlefield, choose a basic ability..." but that's opening up a very different debate.

Since M10 I have kind of been waiting for some of these holes to be filled in the core set. We've gotten a few each time - Murder, Back to Nature, Call to Mind and arguably Prey Upon. But I feel there's a list somewhere that needs a few more crossed off.
Steal

:Um::Um::Um:
Sorcery

Gain control of target permanent. 

They've almost NEVER print control magic instant/sorceries. They printed only 2 in the whole of magic history.



 
@ Kazepenku - definitely should add Steal to the list at uncommon or rare.  Arguably you could even justify a lower cost of .
would be good if you compare to Blatant Thievery

Mental Preparations sounds a little too strong and out of color though
actually - armageddon


All of those cards you "made" exist in one form or another already, many will never be printed again (destroy all lands for example) as destroying mana bases is just not fun.

If we see any of them, they'll likely be in their previous iteration, like Diabolic Tutor instead of "Mental Preparations." So these lines of text that you thought "didn't exist" have existed forever. The best example is word-for-word, "Wrath of Nature" that once would have been Desert Twister, and that is long dead as a concept in green.

But my point being, why recreate the wheel when the concepts are already there? While it's a nice thought, they have existed, and some will likely never see standard again.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
simple effects are clearly a good way to guess what is going to happen, It is important to remember the color pie.
Mental prepararions is Demonic tutor baring significat bleed Id say from the top x cards of their libary would suit blue better but then it is no longer simple
Wrath of Nature is Desert Twister but maro said this was outside of green's color pie
I'd go with GG4: sorcery: Rare: Destroy all noncreature perminants (according to the color pie; green usually must use it's creatures to destroy other creatures)
Diabolic Tutor is generally regarded as weak and so rarely sees play (even in limited it is passed often), so there is a power level reevaluation here.

I have to say I have never followed how it is in black's color pie. I think it is a historical "top down" design that started with Demonic Tutor and when they got around to fixing the cost they never evaluated the color pie aspect properly (although Grim Tutor and Vampiric Tutor I get). Mental Prep is just the logical conclusion for me of blue's library manipulation ability, seen more directly in cards like Fabricate, Mystical Teachings, and their ilk. Of course I understand why this might jar on first read.

As for why to reprint the text in a different wrap, its no different that when naturalize was reprinted instead of disenchant. If there is a proper home for that one line of text, I'm suggesting that it hasn't been found yet.

I might add that wrath of nature is not clear cut for me. Green seems to have a better claim to destroying a permanent than any color, and "destroy target permanent" in monocolor seems to me that it should exist somewhere.

The nearest comparison is Diabolic Tutor, which is generally regarded as weak and so rarely sees play (even in limited it is passed often).

I have to say I have never followed how it is in black's color pie. I think it is a historical "top down" design that started with Demonic Tutor and when they got around to fixing the cost they never evaluated the color pie aspect properly (although Grim Tutor and Vampiric Tutor I get). Mental Prep is just the logical conclusion for me of blue's library manipulation ability, seen more directly in cards like Fabricate, Mystical Teachings, and their ilk.

 


Black is the color of omnipotence -- so to be boundless in the pursuit of power is well within black's color pie (such as Demonic Tutor). While blue is one of logic and erudition, they typically seek that which is magical by nature, or tinker. It is the sense of learning something new rather than gaining unbridled power.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
The nearest comparison is Diabolic Tutor, which is generally regarded as weak and so rarely sees play (even in limited it is passed often).

I have to say I have never followed how it is in black's color pie. I think it is a historical "top down" design that started with Demonic Tutor and when they got around to fixing the cost they never evaluated the color pie aspect properly (although Grim Tutor and Vampiric Tutor I get). Mental Prep is just the logical conclusion for me of blue's library manipulation ability, seen more directly in cards like Fabricate, Mystical Teachings, and their ilk.

 


Black is the color of omnipotence -- so to be boundless in the pursuit of power is well within black's color pie (such as Demonic Tutor). While blue is one of logic and erudition, they typically seek that which is magical by nature, or tinker. It is the sense of learning something new rather than gaining unbridled power.



Blue is the color of omniscience though, and I think it is not outside of blue's pie to have this effect. I'd concede its not clear cut, but I suppose I'd prefer it if they reprinted grim tutor than diabolic effects. 


Blue is the color of omniscience though, and I think it is not outside of blue's pie to have this effect. I'd concede its not clear cut, but I suppose I'd prefer it if they reprinted grim tutor than diabolic effects. 




oh jeez, there should be a black version of it called omnipotence


Omnipotence

Enchantment

:Bm::Bm::Bm:

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may cast a non-land card from your library, graveyard or from exile without paying its mana costs. 


Blue is the color of omniscience though, and I think it is not outside of blue's pie to have this effect. I'd concede its not clear cut, but I suppose I'd prefer it if they reprinted grim tutor than diabolic effects. 




oh jeez, there should be a black version of it called omnipotence


Black and blue share points on the color pie that are very similar. Wizards is very fond of the concept of responsible use and irresponsible use of knowledge.

Where blue seems to exemplify a more austere measure of intellect, black is the bad boy you bring home to your parents that doesn't play by the rules. So blue's academic angle comes with the strings of curiosity, fixation, and foresight. Black doesn't give a damn about that and wants power and strength, no matter the cost. That is the predominant overlap of the colors, and where they differ on a similar concept.

But it is also why frequently, blue lends itself to black (that's ixidor color shifted in the art, btw), and vice versa.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
Actually I think they nearly printed a passable Omnipotence when they printed enter the infinite. Only black's version would in my mind look like this:

Omnipotence -
Sorcery (M)
Draw cards equal to the number of cards in your library.

(Jaz - perhaps this qualifies as irresponsible use of knowledge - no safeguards!).
Mental Preparations -
Instant (C)
Search your library for a card and put it in your hand. Then shuffle your library.


I made one of those myself

get card instant
  Get any card from your deck
   and put it in your hand.
            [Shuffle]

although, I've been question the mana count

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

NO WAR

 

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

@ Matt Holck

Barring the name, can't fault your card design there...


any other simple core set staples out there?
All of those cards you "made" exist in one form or another already, many will never be printed again (destroy all lands for example) as destroying mana bases is just not fun.

If we see any of them, they'll likely be in their previous iteration, like Diabolic Tutor instead of "Mental Preparations." So these lines of text that you thought "didn't exist" have existed forever. The best example is word-for-word, "Wrath of Nature" that once would have been Desert Twister, and that is long dead as a concept in green.



Long dead?  Beast Within really wasn't all that long ago.
All of those cards you "made" exist in one form or another already, many will never be printed again (destroy all lands for example) as destroying mana bases is just not fun.

If we see any of them, they'll likely be in their previous iteration, like Diabolic Tutor instead of "Mental Preparations." So these lines of text that you thought "didn't exist" have existed forever. The best example is word-for-word, "Wrath of Nature" that once would have been Desert Twister, and that is long dead as a concept in green.



Long dead?  Beast Within really wasn't all that long ago.


Exactly, this is a core set where the design team has plenty of chances to slip things past MaRo.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
They could probably get away with something like this in a core set for the "destroy anything" green angle:

Nature's Claim
Sorcery U
Target permanent becomes a Forest land. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
A flavourful, good, preferrably instant-speed burn spell - but most importantly, a burn spell that's constructed playable but doesn't overshadow all other burn spells by being the clear best choice as a 4-of in any list.

I posted this at YMTC:

Immature Immolation
Instant
Immature Immolation deals 3 damage to target creature, 3 damage to target player and 6 damage to you.

There's a bunch of designs that would make me happy, though, from alternate casting costs to attached bodies or extra effects. Just not something that we reluctantly play it because of some overpowered 2-drop, but something that can stand on its own legs.


Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
They could probably get away with something like this in a core set for the "destroy anything" green angle:

Nature's Claim
Sorcery U
Target permanent becomes a Forest land. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)



I think the reason why WoTC doesn't really want powerful lasting effects on an instant and sorcery is because radiate exists
Mental Preparations -
Instant (C)
Search your library for a card and put it in your hand. Then shuffle your library.


Diabolic Tutor. This is a black card, not a blue one.

Tectonic Implosion -
Sorcery (R)
Destroy all lands.


They will never reprint mass land destruction at any reasonable cost. Get used to it.

Leech -
Instant (U)
Remove all counters from target permanent.


Seems fine, but narrow.  Would be too cheap?

Wrath of Nature -
Sorcery (U)
Destroy target permanent.


Not part of green. Desert Twister was a long time ago. That said, I'd be fine with Bramblecrush being a core set staple.

Decree Absolute -
Sorcery (R)
Exile target permanent.


And not part of white.

Mana Ring -
Artifact (C)
: Add to your mana pool.


This is absurdly overpowered.

Sphere of Blessed Souls -
Enchantment (R)
Creature cards can't enter the battlefield from graveyards or from exile.


From exile is just weird blink hosing. If we're going to make a graveyard hosing enchantment be the norm, make it Rest in Peace.

Mimic Aura -
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant Creature
As Mimic Aura enters the battlefield, choose an ability from haste, islandwalk, lifelink, first strike, flying, reach, trample, deathtouch, vigilance, intimidate or hexproof.
Enchanted creature has the chosen ability.


Most of those aren't in blue.
Once More, With Feeling 
Instant
Counter target spell.
Draw a card. 

There. Now Cancel is substantially more bearable. 
Once More, With Feeling 
Instant
Counter target spell.
Draw a card. 

There. Now Cancel is substantially more bearable. 



dismiss
Costs one more and is only in Legacy and Vintage.

I want them to print this as an apology. 
They could just reprint dismiss. What do they have to apologise about?

Mana ring would have to enter the battlefield tapped, but I don't think they would print it. They're shying away from giving even 2cmc mana rocks to every color, partly so that green's acceleration is more relevant and partly so they can print powerful cards at higher costs without worrying about people getting them out too easily.

Mental prep has a similar stepping-on-toes issue. Blue already has good card manipulation so one of the things that made people look into different colors was if they needed an actual tutor not just a serum visions. It might make flavor sense to move it into blue but ít'd be bad for the game.

Mass LD is un-fun, they're not even going to reprint Bust. It's not the sort of strategy they want to make popular. I once guessed that if they ever made an overload LD card it would be 3r - destroy target land you don't control. Overload 15r.     
They could just reprint dismiss.



But Dismiss costs 1 more. It's like a worse Cryptic Command. If they're doing that, just reprint the Command.

What do they have to apologise about?

 

They have to apologise for making Cancel the standard for counterspells and also printing it in the first place. I don't necessarily want Counterspell back, but Cancel is just too bloody weak. 
The problem is that there's not much room between and . And it's not like with Lightning Bolt, which is so efficient that Searing Spear is still a good card. Counterspell is a little over the top, while Cancel just isn't good enough.

They could just keep printing Cancels with small upside, like Dissipate and Stoic Rebuttal. Note that "draw a card" is not a small upside.
They could just reprint dismiss.



But Dismiss costs 1 more. It's like a worse Cryptic Command. If they're doing that, just reprint the Command.



Limited calls for common and uncommon counterspells.

What do they have to apologise about?

 

They have to apologise for making Cancel the standard for counterspells and also printing it in the first place. I don't necessarily want Counterspell back, but Cancel is just too bloody weak. 



I'm with Flopfoot. Counterspell was too good. Cancel is fine. Doesn't stop them from printing the occasional strictly better version.

Annul would be a nice reprint, a good compliment to Dispel, Essence Scatter, and Negate. And if you want a good rare counterspell, how about Last Word?

The problem is that there's not much room between and .


I like with extra costs like "As an additional cost to cast this, return a Spellstutter Sprite or a Snapcaster Mage you control to your hand."

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Cryptic is part of a cycle, it's less splashable, and it's at the very top of the power level spread (possibly even too powerful). Every deck that could splash it did so, even some decks that wouldn't normally use blue like G/B elves. Not every constructed card has to be at the 99th percentile like Thragtusk, you can have some at the 75th percentile like Centaur Healer that sometimes get played depending on the metagame etc. Maybe Dismiss would not be powerful enough, but it's better to have something a bit too weak than too strong.

The main reason why Cancel was printed is because they like to print the most basic version of an effect with no frills or extra costs or effects. Same with Murder, Shock, Elite Vanguard, Rampant Growth etc. All these cards are pitched at a fair power level, not at the upper end of constructed playability. And some of them never get played even though they're good on paper (however, Cancel has seen serious Standard play). By printing Dissipate and Stoic Rebuttal they admit that they know Cancel is a bit weak but they're still going to put the most basic effect in the core set and in limited since it does its job fine. Red mages don't complain that Shock is the standard, we just use the non-standard stuff like pillar of flame. Black mages don't complain about Murder, they just use better spells. White mages don't expect a non-legendary Isamaru to become the standard. Blue mages use syncopate, negate etc but still want to complain about the existence of Cancel.
Dream Fracture would be good.

Green should get a bit of land control. It should have the power to get rid of non-basic lands. Terraform them into Forests could work.
They could just keep printing Cancels with small upside, like Dissipate and Stoic Rebuttal. Note that "draw a card" is not a small upside.



That's the point.

Limited calls for common and uncommon counterspells.



Doesn't meant that they have to be bad.

And if you want a good rare counterspell, how about Last Word?



First of all, I said nothing about rarity.

Secondly, Last Word isn't good.
All of those cards you "made" exist in one form or another already, many will never be printed again (destroy all lands for example) as destroying mana bases is just not fun.

If we see any of them, they'll likely be in their previous iteration, like Diabolic Tutor instead of "Mental Preparations." So these lines of text that you thought "didn't exist" have existed forever. The best example is word-for-word, "Wrath of Nature" that once would have been Desert Twister, and that is long dead as a concept in green.



Long dead?  Beast Within really wasn't all that long ago.



Beast Within isn't destruction, its replacement, which is different and acceptible in the green color pie. There's still Bramblecrush, but that's ok because it doesnt hit creatures


Decree Absolute -
Sorcery (R)
Exile target permanent.


And not part of white.

[




If it was NON-LAND permanent, it would be.  White occassionally gets hard creature destruction at high cmc, and artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers(?) are all acceptable.
I love when people say Cancel is weak because they were spoiled on Counterspell, but can't realize that. Cancel is weak compared to Counterspell, but when the latter was too good in the first place, "weak" just means that the former is where the latter should have been from the beginning.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

I think most people in control will agree that 2 mana is good, 3 mana is a hassle and 4 mana there better be some awesome thing tacked on there. That's why most people play essence scatter and negate over cancel and sometimes even dissipate
They have to apologise for making Cancel the standard for counterspells and also printing it in the first place. I don't necessarily want Counterspell back, but Cancel is just too bloody weak. 


They don't have to apologize for anything. Cancel is a fine card, and honestly, it's been many years now since it's been the standard. 
Limited calls for common and uncommon counterspells.

Doesn't meant that they have to be bad.

Doesn't mean they have to be competitively good, either.

And if you want a good rare counterspell, how about Last Word?

First of all, I said nothing about rarity.

Secondly, Last Word isn't good.

I wasn't specifically addressing you, that was a question for the forum. Notice how that specific sentence is separated from my response:

I'm with Flopfoot. Counterspell was too good. Cancel is fine. Doesn't stop them from printing the occasional strictly better version.

Annul would be a nice reprint, a good compliment to Dispel, Essence Scatter, and Negate. And if you want a good rare counterspell, how about Last Word?

wah! my combo got countered, and I built the deck around it

Force of Will has never been card advantage

we should by able to build our decks in a bubble
NO WAR

 

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?