The Distance Issue: One Gamer Leaves...What Now?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone,

So my gaming group and I have been in and out of our hometown for the past few years all at different times.  We've been able to play very rarely due to conflicting schedules, but now all of us happen to be in the same town, for once.  

However.

One of my group of 6 (total) is about to leave for an extended period (few years), so my question to you experienced people is what do you think the best option is?

Should we continue to play on an online tool remotely even though most of us are in the same location?  Play all as a group but skype the group member who is leaving in and try and make it work?  Or do that, while running an online tool for her benefit, but still have most of us?

How have you dealt with this issue and what have your experiences been?  If not, what do you think you'd do?

As always, I appreciate your opinions and look forward to them.  
You can use Roll20 and Skype or Google+ Hangouts for this. I've played in a game where I was the remote person dialing in to a group of people around the table. I don't think it's completely ideal as there's something of a different group dynamic and etiquette to an online game (when to talk and when to shut up for one). But it's workable.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

I am playing in two groups at the moment (one as DM).

In one group we had two players leave (one moved out of state, the other had a baby and could no longer dedicate time to play).  Simply put their characters left the group and became NPCs in the world.  If they ever return they can rejoin the group.

In the other group we are faced with the distinct possibility of one player not being able to continue playing because he is moving for his job.  Chances are his character will simply be phased out to NPC status.

That being said, I have done the skype/facetime thing on a few occasions.  It was not ideal by any stretch, luckily those instances were one-offs where the player wanted to play but could not physically attend that one session.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Are you really "entitled to your opinion"?
RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.
How have you dealt with this issue and what have your experiences been?

I was in a group that tried to skype in another player. It wasn't fun, and wasn't really fair to the other players.

I'd imagine that playing on-line to accomodate just one player (when the rest could make it in person) would be even more unfair.

Skype works fine. I was skyped into a campaign during it's end and it was fine. The only real problem was my friends' computer who was skyping me in had terrible speakers so no one could hear me unless everyone was totally quiet and strained to listen. Granted this was GREAT for the character I was playing, but less so for just hanging out and goofing off (which is like 40% of our game).
I have 1 remote player in my game...although I'd already been using MapTool for my sessions....so it wasn't a big deal to add a remote player.

I was also in a game many years ago where we had a remote player who joined us via Skype. We had cameras set up for the table and he also had a cam.

I haven't had many problem with the remote players.
How have you dealt with this issue and what have your experiences been?

I was in a group that tried to skype in another player. It wasn't fun, and wasn't really fair to the other players.

I'd imagine that playing on-line to accomodate just one player (when the rest could make it in person) would be even more unfair.

+1

Yeah it sucks your buddy can sit at the table anymore but life/gaming goes on.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Seems to me an imperfect solution is better than no solution.

I think this sums up the situation perfectly. 

I thank you all for your replies and thoughts in this issue.  Unfortunately, I don't think there is a perfect solution.  It also seems her schedule is going to get very hectic...she's one to get overwhelmed fairly easily by such things, so ultimately she may just drop out for a while.

But the game goes on.   
It could be fun to give her some kind of important NPC/recurring character role that drops in on the party every now and then. This way she could still feel at least moderately connected to the campaign, and you would only occassionally have to deal with remote playing issues.
I was thinking something similar to that and I think that's a great idea.  That way she has a prominent part in the campaign world, and can still stay connected to the group/adventure. 

Great thinking.   

Not necessarily. As has been said here so many times... no game > bad game.  In this case a "bad game" would be spending a lot of time keeping the connection intact and working; she may be willing and able but the Internet can be a fickle beast.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Are you really "entitled to your opinion"?
RedSiegfried wrote:
The cool thing is, you don't even NEED a reason to say yes.  Just stop looking for a reason to say no.
Sign In to post comments