PEACH: Ranger|Cleric for Lair Assault: Spiderkiller

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm still fairly new to 4E and will be doing Spiderkiller tomorrow. We start at level 9, and get an inherent +1 bonus to attacks that does NOT stack with feat bonuses.
I have no idea what to expect, really. All I know about the party composition at the moment is that we have one controller wizard. I made a pretty standard light blade Ranger|Cleric (note: theme is Elemental Initiate).

Genasi, Ranger|Cleric
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Hybrid Cleric: Battle Cleric's Lore
Elemental Manifestation: Stormsoul
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 10, Dex 15, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 22 Reflex: 18 Will: 17
HP: 74 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +10, Insight +10, Athletics +15, Nature +12, Arcana +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +6, Heal +5, History +5, Intimidate +3, Religion +5, Stealth +6, Streetwise +3, Thievery +6

FEATS
Level 1: Silvery Glow
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Nimble Blade
Level 6: Cunning Stalker
Level 8: Improved Defenses

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Hybrid encounter 1: Mighty Hew
Hybrid daily 1: Moment of Glory
Hybrid utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Hybrid daily 5: Frenzied Skirmish
Hybrid utility 6: Holy Celerity
Hybrid encounter 7: Ruffling Sting
Hybrid daily 9: Attacks on the Run

1) What race should I be? Dwarf, Mul, and others come to mind. Genasi was chosen for promise of storm, but I'm not married to it. With Silvery Glow and Promise of Storm, I'd pretty much have to go Whetstones + Lightning Weapon, correct?

2) Do I have too many interrupts? I can switch my theme to Sohei, or take Ruffling Sting @ 3, and Lashing Leaves @ 7.

3) Are Light Blades the right choice? I think they are better than Heavy Blades since we will stay @ level 9, but not sure about Axes?

4) I am not sure about Feat Selection since this is my first Lair Assault. Maybe the standard stuff isn't good in this case?
Lightning Weapons convert all damage they do and damage, including extra damage, is done by the power and therefore by the weapon. If you're using an elemental conversion weapon that converts all damage, whetstones are worthless, because they are converted too.

Genasi do all their multi-typing via Shocking Flame (Paragon feat). So pre-paragon they aren't as optimal, they are action starved for a nova since they have that extra minor to deal with.
Are you able to coordinate chargen with the other players?  That can make a huge difference in Lair Assault since one person can be responsible for "de/buff X" and the rest of the party can focus resources on other things.  Revenant teams and pixie teams are pretty good choices as a rule of thumb.

Another thing to consider is that the generically optimized striker may not be the best choice for a given Lair Assault.  Powers like Bridge of Roots become really good (you're always on a clock, there are always obstacles to slow you down) and given that this one is drow and spider related, putting resouces into poison resistance/negation seems like a smart choice.

Thanks for the replies. Can't really coordinate with the others, and all I know is what I posted already.

Taking into account what you guys said, Genasi is out. Would Dwarf be a good choice? Which features of Revenants and Pixies would help here?
I really like Invigorating Stride, but if Bridge is better...bye bye Stride.

Dwarf is OK, but you lose your major perks by not being able to make much use of DWT.  pretty much anything STR/WIS works; I like Longtooth Shifters for bloodied shanigans.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Dwarf is OK, but you lose your major perks by not being able to make much use of DWT.  pretty much anything STR/WIS works; I like Longtooth Shifters for bloodied shanigans.

Besides Gouge + Gauntlet Axe being usable for all Ranger powers that require you to wield two weapons or an off-hand weapon. The only wording that doesn't allow it, is if it explicitly requires you to wield a weapon in the off-hand, which none of his powers does (i don't even know if there is a single Ranger power with that wording).
For something weird like Lair Assault which is basically one, long encounter I'd be tempted to maybe stick with Genasi, INT vs. DEX and instead of Cunning Stalker and Nimble Blade take the Swormage Multiclass and powerswap for Burning Blade (D1) which would be your first attack as that would give you +6 Fire damage on all melee attacks basically throughout the challenge and you could even kick in the +1 AC as icing.

Burning Blade:
Hit: 2[W] + Intelligence modifier fire damage. (Which with a decent INT has an okay chance of hitting even)

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, your melee attacks deal extra fire damage equal to your Strength modifier

See below.

Thanks for the replies. Can't really coordinate with the others, and all I know is what I posted already.

Taking into account what you guys said, Genasi is out. Would Dwarf be a good choice? Which features of Revenants and Pixies would help here?
I really like Invigorating Stride, but if Bridge is better...bye bye Stride.

Someone put together a revenant group for an earlier LA--at level 9, you'd all be basically unkillable (Hey, we're all wearing matching belts!), the only catch would be the time limit.  Team pixie goes the other route--it's fast and ignores most of the terrain problems commonly found in LA runs.  Ideally, this allows the group to skip entire encounters and rush to the BBEG at the end.

A few more considerations:

This particular LA is 3 separate encounters, so the normal tactic of loading up on "end of encounter" powers and items isn't as strong as it normally is.  Specifically, it's 3 back-to-back (no short rest) encounters.  Powers recharge, no healing, and end of encounter effects expire.

EDIT: You do, however, only roll initiative once.  This makes initiative rerolls and swaps much more useful than the typical static bonuses you see in heroic tier.

Assuming you don't consider the Glory Awards to be spoilers, continue reading:

Expect swim, jump, and climb checks.  Whenever possible, I also train Endurance for characters intended for public play.

There are poison effects (it's drow and spiders, duh).
There are immobilizing effects (there are spiders, duh).
You need a viable way of dealing with swarms (there are spiders, duh).

A few more considerations:

This particular LA is 3 separate encounters, so the normal tactic of loading up on "end of encounter" powers and items isn't as strong as it normally is.  Specifically, it's 3 back-to-back (no short rest) encounters.  Powers recharge, no healing, and end of encounter effects expire.
way of dealing with swarms (there are spiders, duh).

Well, crap. Never mind then.

I'm still fairly new to 4E and will be doing Spiderkiller tomorrow. We start at level 9, and get an inherent +1 bonus to attacks that does NOT stack with feat bonuses.

Level 2: Light Blade Expertise

You do realize that an inherent bonus like that is useally added so you don't have to use expertise feats? ;)
Ofcourse it also gives a bonus to damage but seeing you were going with the "NOT" I assumed you wanted to avoid these feats.

Thanks for all the input. I forgot to ask about LBE, but was meaning to. Given all the feedback, it seems there are other more important things to get rather than +1 to damage.

From what I know, the other players will be as new as me, or newer, with one player who is actually experienced. For that reason, I am assuming we will be facing all encounters and killing all enemies. While I could try to skip some fights, it won't do me any good if I have to wait for the rest of the group to finish the encounter. Due to that, I probably won't go Revenant or Pixie. 

So how about going Dwarf with Gouge + Gauntlet Axe (and vs. Poison), taking out LBE for something that gives +Initiative (or maybe some MC feat?), swapping Invigorating Stride for Bridge of Roots, and finding some good items to purchase? I really have no idea when it comes to equipment, all the campaigns I am in (or have been a part of) are very item-light, so didn't get exposed to or get a chance to play around.

I'm unable to edit the build atm, but I'll post a new one with the implemented changes once I'm home.

EDIT:
Dwarf, Ranger|Cleric
Dwarf Subrace: Standard Dwarf Racial Traits

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 12, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 21 Reflex: 16 Will: 19
HP: 74 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +12, Stealth +9, Athletics +15, Acrobatics +9, Religion +9, Arcana +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +7, History +4, Insight +7, Intimidate +3, Nature +7, Perception +7, Streetwise +3, Thievery +4

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Initiative
Level 2: Dwarven Weapon Training
Level 4: Disciple of Divine Wrath

POWERS
Hybrid utility 2: Bridge of Roots

Would appreciate input on equipment!

I would replace Improved Defenses with Superior Will, mostly for the action economy.

Having two melee immediate interrupts might be overkill for something like this.  They aren't going to help you against hand crossbows.

Righteous Brand is the "correct" choice for your Cleric at-will, but realistically you're never going to use it over Twin Strike.  Brand of the Sun is not good for this build in a vacuum, but it gives you a "we need to save or we're going to wipe" option.  Low percentage to be sure, but at least it's greater than zero.

You very much need an expertise feat.  I'd drop Improved Initiative.

Swap out Stealth for Perception.  You're wearing scale and looking for sneaky drow.

You very much need an expertise feat..

He mentioned that he'll get +1 feat bonus to hit for free.

Thanks for all the input. I forgot to ask about LBE, but was meaning to. Given all the feedback, it seems there are other more important things to get rather than +1 to damage.

From what I know, the other players will be as new as me, or newer, with one player who is actually experienced. For that reason, I am assuming we will be facing all encounters and killing all enemies. While I could try to skip some fights, it won't do me any good if I have to wait for the rest of the group to finish the encounter. Due to that, I probably won't go Revenant or Pixie. 

So how about going Dwarf with Gouge + Gauntlet Axe (and vs. Poison), taking out LBE for something that gives +Initiative (or maybe some MC feat?), swapping Invigorating Stride for Bridge of Roots, and finding some good items to purchase? I really have no idea when it comes to equipment, all the campaigns I am in (or have been a part of) are very item-light, so didn't get exposed to or get a chance to play around.

I'm unable to edit the build atm, but I'll post a new one with the implemented changes once I'm home.

EDIT:
Dwarf, Ranger|Cleric

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 16 Fort: 21 Reflex: 16 Will: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +12, Stealth +9, Athletics +15, Acrobatics +9, Religion +9, Arcana +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +7, History +4, Insight +7, Intimidate +3, Nature +7, Perception +7, Streetwise +3, Thievery +4

FEATS

POWERS

Would appreciate input on equipment!

Despite many people argumenting against it, MC Avenger + Holy Blessing swap to get OoE a second time/enc should work by RAW.
So, this is what happens:
Disciple of Divine Wrath let's you use it once/enc for two turns. 
When you drop your OoE target to 0 or after 2 rounds you regain the use of OoE, but aren't allowed to use it again, due to DoDW's restriction, that you can only use it once. But you regain the use!
Holy Blessing in fact lets you use it again, it expands DoDW's restriction and the already recharged and normally unusable OoE can be used a second time.
If they had simply rewritten OoE in DoDW's case a bit it could have been prevented, but they didn't.

Long story short: This swap could be an option. 

But be aware that hardcore RAW (while not being RAI at all) builds like this may not face too much love from the audience. The more since you already followed the Gouge + Gauntlet Axe advice. ;)

Edit: Thanks to kilpatds for pointing it out in IRC: The second OoE would have the same duration, as the one used by a real Avenger. Cheese inc.

[
Despite many people argumenting against it, MC Avenger + Holy Blessing swap to get OoE a second time/enc should work by RAW.
When you drop your OoE target to 0 or after 2 rounds you regain the use of OoE, but aren't allowed to use it again, due to DoDW's restriction, that you can only use it once. But you regain the use!
Holy Blessing in fact lets you use it again, it expands DoDW's restriction and the already recharged and normally unusable OoE can be used a second time.
If they had simply rewritten OoE in DoDW's case a bit it could have been prevented, but they didn't.

But be aware that hardcore RAW (while not being RAI at all) builds like this may not face too much love from the audience. The more since you already followed the Gouge + Gauntlet Axe advice. ;)

Edit: Thanks to kilpatds for pointing it out in IRC: The second OoE would have the same duration, as the one used by a real Avenger. Cheese inc.

I think using Holy Blessing like that is a muchkinism (ie: 'it doesn't say you cant do it so you can do it' logic). Here's a discussion we had about it in the FAQ forum: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(Avenger_MC)_and_U2:Holy_Blessing_through_Acolyte_Power
Show

[

I think using Holy Blessing like that is a muchkinism (ie: 'it doesn't say you cant do it so you can do it' logic). Here's a discussion we had about it in the FAQ forum: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(Avenger_MC)_and_U2:Holy_Blessing_through_Acolyte_Power

Sounds like you'd compare it with MC Cleric/PoV, which is not the same. Every step in the process is perfectly followable. You definitely regain the use, so you can actually use it with a separate instance that explicitly let's you do so.
It's not 'it doesn't say you cant do it so you can do it' logic, it's perfect logic. 

"Once per encounter" means "once per encounter." You don't need an exception to the general rules on using powers, you'd need an exception that specifically overrode the rule the multiclass feat gives you about only being allowed to use OoE once per encounter.
I missed the bit about getting free feats, thanks for pointing that out.

I still think Improved Initiative isn't a great pick for this LA if the character isn't initiative-optimized (rogues, hunters, etc.), at least not without a certain level of chargen coordination.  You only roll initiaitve once, so there's a decent chance that the feat will end up doing nothing for you for the duration of the run.  It lets this character win initative roughly 30% of the time.  Investing a feat for a 30% chance of winning a single die roll seems like a low ROI.  If he was building an enabling leader or a defender, it would be a different story.  Improved Initiative along with something like the Trained from Birth background gives those types of characters a decent shot of going first.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
Putting on my "Rules Lawyer" hat here... (don't do this in a real game.  But this is about Lair Assault, right?)

Once per encounter, you can use the avenger's Oath of Enmity power.  The effect lasts until the end of your next turn

1/enc doesn't look like a restriction there, it looks like an option.  Only 1/enc can you OoE via this feat.  That doesn't to me say you couldn't use it a second time via some other means.

Effect: You use Oath of Enmity on the target.

Yeah, there's a straight claim of the Munchkin fallacy here ("it doesn't say you need to know the power, so I don't") but that's not the claim you're making.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

That is a nonsensical argument. If you have the restriction of using it once per encounter, you also have the option of using it once per encounter. They aren't saying anything different, you can still only "use" OoE once per encounter. Because it says so in the feat that gave you access to using OoE at all.

You also have to account for the fact that the normal rule is you regain OoE when the target dies and can use it again. The MC feat is giving you an SvG situation. You get to use it once per encounter. That is the specific rule that is overriding the general rule. In order to use it again, you'd need an even more specific rule that overrode the MC feat's restriction.
Thanks everyone.

Regarding Superior Will in place of Improved Defenses, is there dazed and stunned in this one, or is it mostly immobilized?

I was questioning the number of interrupts from the start. Can I use Disruptive Strike, followed by Mighty Hew, on the same attack? I'm thinking Disciplined Counter might be the best to replace (change theme to Sohei).

I agree that Righteous Brand is probably unlikely to see any use. Since Brand of the Sun was mentioned, what about Brand of the Moon?

Still processing the other comments, hopefully I'll have internet access tomorrow to update the build...these were my ideas for items, after doing some searching:
Adventurer's Kit
Chainreach Gouge +2
Feyleaf Sandals (heroic tier)
Viper Belt (heroic tier)
Anakore Scorpion Scale Armor +2
Gauntlet Axe of Surrounding +2
Potion of Regeneration (heroic tier)
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
Amulet of Protection +2
Climber's Kit
13 GP remaining
Can I use Disruptive Strike, followed by Mighty Hew, on the same attack?

No. One IA per round.

I agree that Righteous Brand is probably unlikely to see any use. Since Brand of the Sun was mentioned, what about Brand of the Moon?

No. Brand of the Sun's only niche is that it's reactive and you don't have to hit to grant the save. So, basically it's a saving throw and a low chance on a hit (you don't want to split ability scores for that, right?) for a standard action which is horrible under normal circumstances, but there could be a situation where it could be needed (don't know if in this certain LA, tho). 
Brand of the Moon is proactive and just a bonus on instead of granting a ST and therefore absolutely inferior. You don't want to waste a standard for an emergency that COULD happen.
Thanks everyone.

Regarding Superior Will in place of Improved Defenses, is there dazed and stunned in this one, or is it mostly immobilized?

It's mostly immobilized/restrained and ongoing poison damage, but the second fight can get out of hand pretty quickly if people don't have a way of shaking off dazed.

Sohei is an excellent theme.  Another consideration is Heir of Delzoun, which would free up the gold you spent on your belt and give you very solid poison resist.

Still processing the other comments, hopefully I'll have internet access tomorrow to update the build...these were my ideas for items, after doing some searching:
Adventurer's Kit
Chainreach Gouge +2
Feyleaf Sandals (heroic tier)
Viper Belt (heroic tier)
Anakore Scorpion Scale Armor +2
Gauntlet Axe of Surrounding +2
Potion of Regeneration (heroic tier)
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
Amulet of Protection +2
Climber's Kit
13 GP remaining

This looks pretty good.  The only thing that jumps out is that the potion of healing might be less useful than something like a Syllable of Grace.

Great, thanks.

So with all of that, here is the new build:
Show

Dwarf, Ranger|Cleric
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

AC: 26 Fort: 22 Reflex: 17 Will: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +12, Perception +14, Athletics +15, Acrobatics +9, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +7, History +4, Insight +9, Intimidate +3, Nature +7, Stealth +4, Streetwise +3, Thievery +4

FEATS
Level 8: Superior Will

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Brand of the Sun

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Chainreach Gouge +2, Feyleaf Sandals (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Anakore Scorpion Scale Armor +2, Gauntlet Axe of Surrounding +2, Potion of Regeneration (heroic tier), Amulet of Protection +2, Climber's Kit, Syllable of Grace (heroic tier)

I could replace Improved Initiative with Improved Defenses or Focused Mind. Any thoughts on that?
I should have mentioned this earlier, but Syllable of Grace requires Gem of Colloquy, unless you have some other means of meeting the language prerequisite.

Improved Initative can definitely be replaced--your character isn't built around going first and the chances that it will make a difference are slim.  A lot of the opposition is around +12 to +14 initiative.  Going from +4 to +8 on a single die roll doesn't offer much ROI.

The argument against taking Improved Defenses is essentially the same.  Your Reflex defense is what's targetted for the various web attacks and upping it by 1 still leaves you getting hit more often than not.  Disciple of Freedom would be an amazing feat for this LA, although that would require you to rearrange your stats a little.

I'm not sure about the claim that Spiderkiller is 3 seperate enconters with no short rest but that you are allowed to re-charge your encounter powers in between the encounters. It says in the mod that there is no short rest...recharging your encounter powers, however, sounds like a house rule. 

When I ran through this particular one, my DM did not allow us to recharge our encounter powers but encounter-long buffs and powers that last until the "end of the encounter" kept going until the end. I have read all the Lair Assaults and have run a few of them and this is how I understand it to be. 
I'm not sure about the claim that Spiderkiller is 3 seperate enconters with no short rest but that you are allowed to re-charge your encounter powers in between the encounters. It says in the mod that there is no short rest...recharging your encounter powers, however, sounds like a house rule. 

When I ran through this particular one, my DM did not allow us to recharge our encounter powers but encounter-long buffs and powers that last until the "end of the encounter" kept going until the end. I have read all the Lair Assaults and have run a few of them and this is how I understand it to be. 

Page 3 mentions, "an ultra-challenging series of encounters" and "the encounters are difficult..."  Page 9 presents conflicting information, noting "this part of the encounter" (making it seem like the entire LA is one encounter divided into 3 parts) and "two possible Start Areas exist for this encounter," making Part 2 seem like its own encounter.  I imagine different DMs will read that differently.  It's certainly worth asking your DM how it's going to work.  If it's one long encounter, then things like Syllable of Grace are must-haves.

Someone emailed the author (link below) and it seems she intended encounter long effects to end after each Part, but for encounter powers not to recharge.  That's fine, but that's also not how the rules of the game work, so YMMV.

community.wizards.com/lair/go/thread/vie...

Personally, making it one long encounter always seems to result in people bringing a bunch of tactically boring e-classes.  I'd rather run it in Nightmare and have encounter powers refresh.

I removed Improved Initiative and slotted in Disciple of Freedom. This required losing +1 from my WIS mod and reducing one of my unused ability scores.  I didn't see any language requirement for Syllable of Grace in the item description? Regardless, I removed that as well now.

build:

Show
Dwarf, Ranger|Cleric
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 13.

AC: 26 Fort: 22 Reflex: 17 Will: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +12, Perception +13, Athletics +15, Acrobatics +9, Religion +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +3, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +6, History +3, Insight +8, Intimidate +5, Nature +6, Stealth +4, Streetwise +5, Thievery +4

FEATS
Level 1: Disciple of Freedom
Level 8: Superior Will

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Brand of the Sun

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Chainreach Gouge +2, Feyleaf Sandals (heroic tier), Viper Belt (heroic tier), Anakore Scorpion Scale Armor +2, Gauntlet Axe of Surrounding +2, Potion of Regeneration (heroic tier), Amulet of Protection +2, Climber's Kit, Gravespawn Potion (heroic tier)
Syllable of Grace

Requirement: You must be able to speak Abyssal or Supernal.

Some backgrounds will do this, but presumably Auspicious Birth is more valuable to you.  The aforementioned Gem is the route most people take.

Gear looks good with the exception of the belt and the gravespawn potion--the poison resists from both won't stack.
Sign In to post comments