Playstation Network (USA): June 25, 2013
Playstation Network (Europe): June 26, 2013
Playstation Network (Japan): June 27, 2013
Playstation Network (Asia): June 27, 2013
iTunes: June 25, 2013
Google Play: June 25, 2013
Amazon App Store: June 25, 2013

wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1259

Ha, see that? They sensed my impending rage and officially announced the release date/s post-haste.
They obviously wanted it up there this morning before I got home from work.

Still though, no announcement until 5 days before release? That's gotta be some kind of record...

PC/Steam: June 26, 2013
Xbox LIVE Arcade: June 26, 2013

Ha, see that? They sensed my impending rage and officially announced the release date/s post-haste.

Still though, no announcement until 5 days before release? That's gotta be some kind of record...

Nothing beats the Sega Saturn, which was release the same day that Sega annocened the release date 

Nothing beats the Sega Saturn, which was release the same day that Sega annocened the release date 

Yeah, that's hard to top.

Still though, 1994... The internet wasn't as ubiquitous as it is now.

I am no longer shocked by any poor marketing/advertising decisions made on behalf of DotP.  For the love of god man, if people knew the release dates, they may get excited and talk up the product to others and increase the market.

That's just madness.

I expect next year to have a stealth release; they'll release itand then announce that it was released two days later, in case no one noticed. I hope 2014 is not as disappointing as it's thus far shaping up to be on every possible level. I'll be checking here for news and keping an eye on the modding community since that seems to be the only pre-expansion chance for this to be a worthy purchase.

As is, is doesnt even worth six euros. 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

What's the price tag for Europe?

I'm sure that in the current financial crisis you could probably purchase the entire continent for a few trillion dollars.

edit: but that's not including the islands of Great Britan and Ireland.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

**runs into the forum, gasping for air**

Hey everybody, good news! All the release dates have now been announ-

... oh. 

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Ha ha...spot on!
ahah. good one
Nice sixty.
Sean......

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

What time of day does the PS network ushually update on tuesdays ?  pacific time
What time of day does the PS network ushually update on tuesdays ?  pacific time

Just enter this forum like mad as soon as 2pm(gmt -5) and keep pressing F5 :P

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

... oh. 

I still can’t for the life of me can't work out why Wizards would wait until so close to release before officially announcing the game.

But 10/10 to Sean for being able to put a humorous take on it. And my guess would be that Sean is probably even more frustrated than we are by some of the stellar marketing decisions being made by those up on high.

those up on high.

I agree that they are half of this description.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

... oh. 

I still can’t for the life of me can't work out why Wizards would wait until so close to release before officially announcing the game.

But 10/10 to Sean for being able to put a humorous take on it. And my guess would be that Sean is probably even more frustrated than we are by some of the stellar marketing decisions being made by those up on high.

Asspull guess + benefit of the doubt:
I'm gusessing there were "red tape" issues with getting all the different consoles/portables/Steam to release at the same time.

I made that up of course, but it's not unreasonable...
3 days to go wohoo
3 days to go wohoo

3 days and a half so you are wrong :P

Oh hypocrisy! A World full of n00bs indeed!

There's a link on the page that the link on the first post of this thread links to that links to a page that shows which promo cards you can get for free depending on what medium you buy Magic 2014: Duels of the Planeswalkers for. Scavenging Ooze for Steam, iPad and Android. Ogre Battledriver for PS3. Bonscythe Sliver for Xbox 360. Which sucks for me because I play on Xbox and the other two cards would be perfect for my EDH deck, hehe. Perhaps I could trade with someone else at my local store who plays on a different medium.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I imagine delaying anouncement of the release date was intended to help sell a few more copies of 2013.
I imagine delaying anouncement of the release date was intended to help sell a few more copies of 2013.

That... would make the Wizards staff woefully delusional.

"Okay, our goal is to hype 2014, but we need to keep customers in the dark as long as possible with regards to when we're releasing it so we can keep selling 2013."

Doesn't seem plausible to me.
Maybe I'm wrong.
I didn't say it was a good idea, or that I agreed with it, but I still think its plausible based on how other corporations behave.  It might seem more understandible if you saw it on a chart.  Picture old product with low but steady sales numbers, which drop off when the consumer becmes aware that its replacement is imminent. They have to weigh that against how much knowing in advance will help increase sales of the new product.  And consider: an early release date discourages one type of customer -- newbs trying the game for the first time.  The second type of customer, like say anyone reading this forum, has been aware 2014 was coming without an official anouncement, was probably more hyped when they started releasing decklists anyway, and probably doesn't need more than two weeks to gather the $10 to make the purchase on day 1.

Actual real life example: My niece, type one customer, bought 2013 a couple of weeks ago when I showed it to her. If she had asked me, I might have told her to wait a month for the new model, because I am type 2 and a cheap bastard on general principle.  She didn't ask me, but would Wizards have her money right now if she had searched the app store for Magic and found two choices, one of which read "Coming Sooon!"  If she likes 2013,she'll probably get 2014 eventually, too, so more money.

They do think things through before coming up  with answers we don't like, whether right or wrong.
I didn't say it was a good idea, or that I agreed with it, but I still think its plausible based on how other corporations behave.  It might seem more understandible if you saw it on a chart.  Picture old product with low but steady sales numbers, which drop off when the consumer becmes aware that its replacement is imminent. They have to weigh that against how much knowing in advance will help increase sales of the new product.  And consider: an early release date discourages one type of customer -- newbs trying the game for the first time.  The second type of customer, like say anyone reading this forum, has been aware 2014 was coming without an official anouncement, was probably more hyped when they started releasing decklists anyway, and probably doesn't need more than two weeks to gather the $10 to make the purchase on day 1.

Actual real life example: My niece, type one customer, bought 2013 a couple of weeks ago when I showed it to her. If she had asked me, I might have told her to wait a month for the new model, because I am type 2 and a cheap bastard on general principle.  She didn't ask me, but would Wizards have her money right now if she had searched the app store for Magic and found two choices, one of which read "Coming Sooon!"  If she likes 2013,she'll probably get 2014 eventually, too, so more money.

They do think things through before coming up  with answers we don't like, whether right or wrong.

The most realistic possibility in my opinion is that they didn't want to officially announce all the release dates until they were all set in stone. It's not terribly unrealistic that PS3's release date wasn't set in stone until a few days ago (although even I'm having troubles accepting that...).

This, of course, is with 'benefit fo the doubt" set to 'Ludicrous Speed'...
Yeah, wrong release date is worse than no announcement.
I could see them waiting until about a month out to make sure 2013 continues to sell.  With about a month out though, they should market the hell out of the game, and they do the opposite.  Everyone who wants the game already knows that it usually releases in June, but they should be advertising it everywhere for everyone else.

It ought to be 10€ like the 3 previous ones. 

But is doesn't even worth six euros!

But is doesn't even worth six euros!

Where did that 6 euros thing come from? I keep seeing people mention it.

It came from this thread. LittleLoulou says it almost every post he makes. It became sort of a community wide meme after that.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

It came from this thread. LittleLoulou says it almost every post he makes. It became sort of a community wide meme after that.

Wow, that thread is truly the stuff of legends.
Indeed.  It's a classic.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

Wow, that thread is truly the stuff of legends.

Thus the addition to my signature.

It had to stay alive.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Really, you should just make the quote or LittleLouLou's name link to the thread.

Really, you should just make the quote or LittleLouLou's name link to the thread.

Good idea. Goddamn that lightning was close   irl

Show

Done.

Show

Done.

u got drgiggles blocked thats hilarious hes a douche

"Okay, our goal is to hype 2014, but we need to keep customers in the dark as long as possible with regards to when we're releasing it so we can keep selling 2013."

Maybe I'm wrong.

You know, I have noticed that on the Xbox 360, advertisements for 2013 have been on the main pages every day.

Maybe I'm wrong.

You know, I have noticed that on the Xbox 360, advertisements for 2013 have been on the main pages every day.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that they want to sell 2013 as much as possible.
It just doesn't seem plausible to me that they would withhold the release date of DotP2014 until 5 days before launch for that reason.

Like I said, I think they didn't have all the release dates set in stone or confirmed or whatever or some company (Sony) was dragging their ass getting the "paperwork" finalized or whatever.

But again, I could still be wrong. Not ruling that out.

One moment, curious:
Oh, look, Magic 2014 has finally appeared on the PSN's release schedule. It wasn't there even when they announced the release dates here.

Oh well, in +/- 36 hours it won't matter anyway.
(I guess really it doesn't matter now. :whatsthis
At which time was the steam release last year? (with timezone please) Like 10 in the morning (US)?

Absurdity, n. A statement or belief manifestly inconsistent with one's own opinion.

Sign In to post comments