Other formats in FNM?

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Now that we have the Modern format in our FNMs, I was curious what the community's thoughts were on having other formats in addition to modern. and a suggestion of what formats should be brought into FNM.

Pauper- This is the one i want most. Its one of the few 1 vs 1 formats that isnt just standard with a bigger cardpool like modern is. Its also a format no sane human being can complain about the cost of. I have been told it is played alot on Magic online and occasionally my local fnm stop has a tournament but some on the people there have to foul up soemthing good by making it "legacy pauper" so they can run their stupid affinity deck. No standard pauper would be a great way for people to get into tournaments without spending upwards of $400 on a single deck. If WotC is tryuly serious about bringing in new players then this idea is a no brainer.

EDH/Commander- Never played it, but dont like the look of it. Most of the EDH decks i see at my local spot are just rares and mythics of X color pasted together.

Two Headed Giant- This would be a good one as well. Although certain combonations of decks get ridculous fast.

Planechase- its the most fun format in my opinion and it has the great side effect that spikes tend to hate it so they go away. and spikes being  annoying pests that drain the fun out of everything, them leaving is nothing but positive.

Chaos- One large game, no best of three, no "I noticed you're playing flashback, allow me to sideboard Rest in Peace" BS that plagues the game today . Just a freindly game between sane people who dont measure their worth by how many games they win. One huge game is played and the last man standing wins.

Ideally for me, The monthly FNM schedule would be like this. lets add some variety to our weekly games.
Week One: Standard
Week Two: Modern
Week Three: Pauper
Week Four: Planeschase

I scream for a deliverance from standard overload.
Two-Headed Giant variants of most Constructed formats are already supported FNM formats. The other ones won't really get the stamp of approval because they're not sanctioned formats.

L1 Judge

My store will typically let us choose the format and run whatever has enough support for a sanctioned event. We have been choosing between standard and draft so far (sometimes having enough to run both at the same time), but I've heard rumors they are looking to see if they have support for modern players as well.
I'm not sure where you are trying to go with this, but I imagine if there's enough demand in your area, you can make any format work.

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules

Magic: The Gathering Formats

Tips & Tricks

Catotheyounger wrote:
Back when I was in high school, I used to write little quotes on the whiteboard of my chemistry class, little, funny things that I'd made up and attributed to an anonymous author. Just tiny things I found amusing. Some time near the end of the year, a substitute teacher came in, read it, and told us a quote she had heard from a 13 year old girl. I don't remember what it was, but the quote sounded deep and philosophical. Then I actually thought about it. I realized that the quote was actually meaningless, but simply couched in the language of philosophy and depth. And that's what your post is. It is meaningless bull**** that you said in such a way as to make it seem sophisticated. But just as a lab coat doesn't make you a scientist, language won't make you a philosopher. Only love of wisdom will. And until then, you will always remind me of a nameless 13 year old girl.
I think FNM is fine where it's at in allowing draft, modern, and standard.  Other events can be made known by the shop if they want to push them.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Really? I was told by the operator of my local card shop they WotC only allows Standard and Modern and modern was only allowed recently.

As for the other not being "sanctioned" screw that and just sanction them already. And if that is not done a really good reason for refusing to do so we be nice. And before the standard bearers for WotC LLC. storm the thread, "Wizards makes less money on these formats" is not a valid reason. That may well be the company's reason for everything it does, but it doesn't make it a good reason and for the love of all things sacred stop mindlessly defending companies that wave the big gnarled phallus of greed in our faces. Too many people on this forum are giving wizards booty kisses intstead of the kicks they need. Remember my misguided friends, YOU are the customer. They depend on YOU and YOUR money. without YOU buying the product they are completely SOL. Wizards of the Coast is YOUR prision bitch, not the other way around. Tell them who's boss instead of fellating them every chance you get.

If anything wizards would want to broaden the interest in magic by adopting a format for competitive play that solves the price tag problem which is what keeps many people from joining any torunaments. What some people need to realize is that even if people have the money to compete it standard, maybe they just dont feel the need to spend that much. Instead of alienating these people by pushing modern: a format that has ALL of the problems that standard has only WORSE, it makes infintiely more sense to have a seperate event and increase the overall amount of customers you have.

Pauper would probably get me goin back to FNMs, but I'd have to vote for extended pauper vs modern. (fixes that affinity problem) Standard would be fine too, I actually just built a UBG evolve/scavenge deck that's fun to play and seems decent so far.
And yeah, no legacy pauper for FNMs but I do think that would make a cool side event when a shop has an eternal night or whatever.

Okay, the 2HG part is not exactly as I had said. Following quote from the Mothership:

To make it easier to participate, Friday Night Magic events are open to anyone and feature the Standard Constructed, Modern Constructed, Sealed Deck, Booster Draft, Block Constructed, Extended Constructed, or Two-Headed Giant (Standard or Sealed) formats.

Source

L1 Judge

"So, who wants to play an extended FNM?" said no one ever.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Well, as long as we're wishing here:

Week 1: Legacy
Week 2: Legacy
Week 3: Modern
Week 4: Legacy

Standard can go play on Thursday or something.

Yeah, I like that.
Urza is my Shepherd. Planet Multiverse
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
I'd hate to accidentally walk partially into one.
Random Tolarian wizard's last words. ;)
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.

But... but... me? 

Extended used to be great before Modern came along and spoiled my fun. 

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

Yeah, I like that.

We don't wants them evil Spikes in our games, Precious.

and spikes being  annoying pests that drain the fun out of everything, them leaving is nothing but positive.

Yeah, I like that.

;)

and spikes being  annoying pests that drain the fun out of everything, them leaving is nothing but positive.

Perhaps, Mr. Nuka, you have not considered the fact that we Spikes find you incredibly tedious to play against. You are draining the fun from my experience, and I don't appreciate it.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
Real life fact: I'm terrified of Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears... and bears that could potentially blink into reality through a time rift.

Fixed for succinctness.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Still no shortage of hate for extended huh? Understandable.
Considering pauper, I jus think extended would be a better card pool than standard alone.
Personally I'm fine with modern pauper but still like extended as a card pool limit as well.
Different strokes for different folks... kinda the point of the thread.
To each his own.
FNM Team Rochester: Coming to a store near you! 

Fixed for succinctness.

Well, that is true.
You Make the Card
Mafia History
My LGS has two FNMs per week (the maximum), and it does rotate a little:

4pm - Standard
7pm - Standard

4pm - Standard
7pm - Draft

Wash, rinse, repeat. We used to have Eternal Pauper on Thursdays, and Modern Mondays, but lack of attendance got those canceled. Due to MMS, Modern Mondays will be back with a vengeance though. Yay.

I've tried to talk them into giving us a Modern event for FNM, but to no avail. It just isn't as profitable.

If WotC were to allow another format to be sanctioned, I'd most prefer to see Pauper or Block Constructed. They're both great formats with established deck archetypes.

And I really enjoy the expanding cardpool in Pauper. I'm looking forward to what M14 will bring to the format. Maybe a nice, new build-around-me-card.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

Fixed for succinctness.

Reminds me of a mock WotC announcement that someone did.

"We have decided to change Extended so that it now encompasses the last two years of printed cards and sets. We have decided to name this new format "You Won't Believe It's Not Standard". Our hope is that this change will eventually lead to someone, somewhere playing Extended someday."
The problem with sanctioning several of the formats you mentioned, Nuka, is that FNM is a tournament, and in a tournament environment, people are incentivized to play to win, not necessarily to have fun. Pauper might be able to withstand that kind of pressure, but Chaos definitely can't.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Yeah, I like that.

;)

Perhaps, Mr. Nuka, you have not considered the fact that we Spikes find you incredibly tedious to play against. You are draining the fun from my experience, and I don't appreciate it.

Woe is he who pisses off the try hards. Look, go play your legacy tournaments or something. Im sure everyone will be incredibly impressed by your ability to spend thousands of dollars on a deck so you can win and prove your self king of the hill of nothing. Even though it wouldnt impress anyone with a sliver of intellect because legacy is a ridiculous format where the opening draw decides the whole game. Go ahead and spend enough money to buy a used car to play in that format if you wish. dont expect me or anyone else with a functioning brain to leap off the legacy cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

Just because you use magic to assuage your insecurities doesnt make you right. Im sure you get a big chubby when you win a game but to me it is less than insignificant. Magic is a card game that is at best 10% skill, 50% money spent and 40% luck. That is why the spikes are ridiculous. They want to claim to having great skill at magic but in the end skill is almost non existent in magic. you can talk about good moves and bad moves but in the end those moves are only possible because you happened to have the right cards at the right time. The only thing that could be construed as skill in magic is deckbuilding and that idea was wiped out by the internet a long time ago.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />You ruin my experience because you take something seriously that should never be taken seriously. You buy into the marketing of magic that its strategic and intellectual. Its not. Its a fun game but that is all. Dont mock me just because i have a functioning brain and as a consequence, dont believe what commercials tell me.

If you don't care about winning the game, why do you care about tournaments enough to want specific formats allowed?

I play weird or silly formats all the time. Just not at tournaments. Don't scoop ice cream on my pizza - I love both, but please keep them separate.

L1 Judge

"Magic is a card game that is at best 10% skill, 50% money spent and 40% luck. "

I'd take your stats course any day. Do you teach in the Houston area?
FNM Team Rochester: Coming to a store near you! 

Pauper two headed giant rochester commander with planechase.  While each group is against a zombie horde deck.

After every round going to time.  They have decided to extend FNM rounds to 8 hours each.  Also, it is now going to be called FNSaADSuADM to encompase the fact you are playing all weekend.

Yeah, I like that.

;)

Woe is he who pisses off the try hards. Look, go play your legacy tournaments or something. Im sure everyone will be incredibly impressed by your ability to spend thousands of dollars on a deck so you can win and prove your self king of the hill of nothing. Even though it wouldnt impress anyone with a sliver of intellect because legacy is a ridiculous format where the opening draw decides the whole game. Go ahead and spend enough money to buy a used car to play in that format if you wish. dont expect me or anyone else with a functioning brain to leap off the legacy cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

Just because you use magic to assuage your insecurities doesnt make you right. Im sure you get a big chubby when you win a game but to me it is less than insignificant. Magic is a card game that is at best 10% skill, 50% money spent and 40% luck. That is why the spikes are ridiculous. They want to claim to having great skill at magic but in the end skill is almost non existent in magic. you can talk about good moves and bad moves but in the end those moves are only possible because you happened to have the right cards at the right time. The only thing that could be construed as skill in magic is deckbuilding and that idea was wiped out by the internet a long time ago.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />You ruin my experience because you take something seriously that should never be taken seriously. You buy into the marketing of magic that its strategic and intellectual. Its not. Its a fun game but that is all. Dont mock me just because i have a functioning brain and as a consequence, dont believe what commercials tell me.

Oh, but I will.

Your silly made up stats don't impress me. I'm curious as to how you came up with these numbers, other than pulling them out of your rear.

Besides, everyone knows that once you get to a certain Planeswalker Level, the cards fall into place for you as you shuffle. Don't worry, you'll get there eventually.
On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
my local shop does:

Standard Constructed on Monday nights
Modern on Tuesday nights
EDH on Thursday nights
Standard Draft on Friday nights.

Wednesday is supposed to be "new players night" and we were going to have a bunch of high school kids come in. I don't work at the shop but I'm there enough that they invited me to come in and help teach (sounded kinda fun). Nobody showed up so it was kind of a bust (ended up playing/losing to the shop manager's Storm deck). Used to be a Cube draft night but the guy with the cube never shows up or something. I don't play EDH but is seems like the best night. I go to trade mostly (best night to do so) but the shop owner actually closes the shop to have the games so it's really casual and everybody seems much more relaxed than other nights.

Never played Pauper but I really like the idea of drafting common/uncommons. I also feel like it could be fun to have people bring in their commons/uncommons to use so there's no cost involved (and you know that after a few games with low-powered cards you'd be itching to buy some of the good ones from the shop so they'd be happy). I've definitely done "10 minute constructed" with my friend using my cards where you slap a couple decks together really fast and then play. I had bought a box of RtR recently so it was like Block Constructed. Super fun and didn't cost me anything extra

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

My LGS does standard, extended, modern, draft, sealed, 2hg standard, 2hg extended and block constructed.  Just depends on the week what format we do, also depends if enough people want to change it if some people wont play otherwise.  But for the most part, standard is played most followed by draft, then everything else is just thrown in at times.
Wow we got a live one here! I didn't see this thread before and for that I'm quite sad. Where does this guy get off telling us that competitive tournaments shouldn't have competitive players?

If you can't afford to play with the "big guns" or you aren't clever enough to make a rogue deck than don't play Standard FNM.

Keep your small time game on the kitchen table where it belongs.

Nothing wrong with casual magic but don't talk smack on people that make better decks than you. Yeah it's a luxury sport, like golf and MANY others, it costs money to be good, unless you play limited than you have nothing to complain about.

Stop whining because YOU are the person that make us "Dale" personality types have a bad experience.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Yeah it's a luxury sport, like golf and MANY others, it costs money to be good, unless you play limited than you have nothing to complain about.

That reminds me, I often wonder where this mentality of money replacing skill comes from. In any remotely high-level tournament, everyone will have spent a lot of money on their deck, so wouldn't that perceived advantage be rather non-existant since everyone does it..? In which case, it kinda does come down to your ability to play and build a deck, rather than spending ability.
Yeah it's a luxury sport, like golf and MANY others, it costs money to be good, unless you play limited than you have nothing to complain about.

That reminds me, I often wonder where this mentality of money replacing skill comes from. In any remotely high-level tournament, everyone will have spent a lot of money on their deck, so wouldn't that perceived advantage be rather non-existant since everyone does it..? In which case, it kinda does come down to your ability to play and build a deck, rather than spending ability.

This.

As Zauzich said it best recently:
It's like NASCAR racing. The best teams can employ the best mechanics and engineers to build the fastest cars and only THEN does the best driver make a difference. Jimmy Johnson wouldn't win **** if he was driving a jalopy.

On Tolarian Time Bubbles
56849398 wrote:
147480487 wrote:
people that don't spend a lot of money are not at the high level tornaments

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

people that don't spend a lot of money are not at the high level tornaments

You've been making a dangerous amount of sense lately. Is this going to become a regular thing for you, or..?
I don't much care for left handed insults

but I would be happy to come in from the cold

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

That's better.

.....Just because you use magic to assuage your insecurities doesnt make you right. Im sure you get a big chubby when you win a game but to me it is less than insignificant. Magic is a card game that is at best 10% skill, 50% money spent and 40% luck. That is why the spikes are ridiculous. They want to claim to having great skill at magic but in the end skill is almost non existent in magic....

Really? I think the stats are more along the lines of 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% will, 5% pleasure, and about 50% pain. Yes. That seems much better.

And all will know the wonder of my dark and jeweled sky, when all the world is wrapped in an eternal lullaby.

.....Just because you use magic to assuage your insecurities doesnt make you right. Im sure you get a big chubby when you win a game but to me it is less than insignificant. Magic is a card game that is at best 10% skill, 50% money spent and 40% luck. That is why the spikes are ridiculous. They want to claim to having great skill at magic but in the end skill is almost non existent in magic....

Really? I think the stats are more along the lines of 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% will, 5% pleasure, and about 50% pain. Yes. That seems much better.

Are you sure? I thought it was 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will?
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.

Are you sure? I thought it was 10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated force of will?

FTFY, brah.

Block and Extended were added as FNM formats during the age of Caw-Blade, so...
blah blah metal lyrics
Now that we have the Modern format in our FNMs, I was curious what the community's thoughts were on having other formats in addition to modern. and a suggestion of what formats should be brought into FNM.

Pauper- This is the one i want most. Its one of the few 1 vs 1 formats that isnt just standard with a bigger cardpool like modern is. Its also a format no sane human being can complain about the cost of. I have been told it is played alot on Magic online and occasionally my local fnm stop has a tournament but some on the people there have to foul up soemthing good by making it "legacy pauper" so they can run their stupid affinity deck. No standard pauper would be a great way for people to get into tournaments without spending upwards of $400 on a single deck. If WotC is tryuly serious about bringing in new players then this idea is a no brainer.

EDH/Commander- Never played it, but dont like the look of it. Most of the EDH decks i see at my local spot are just rares and mythics of X color pasted together.

Two Headed Giant- This would be a good one as well. Although certain combonations of decks get ridculous fast.

Planechase- its the most fun format in my opinion and it has the great side effect that spikes tend to hate it so they go away. and spikes being  annoying pests that drain the fun out of everything, them leaving is nothing but positive.

Chaos- One large game, no best of three, no "I noticed you're playing flashback, allow me to sideboard Rest in Peace" BS that plagues the game today . Just a freindly game between sane people who dont measure their worth by how many games they win. One huge game is played and the last man standing wins.

Ideally for me, The monthly FNM schedule would be like this. lets add some variety to our weekly games.
Week One: Standard
Week Two: Modern
Week Three: Pauper
Week Four: Planeschase

I scream for a deliverance from standard overload.

Going back to the OP for a bit, most of those formats are completely ill-suited for FNM play. For better or for worse, FNM is a tournament, albeit a low-level one. That makes Commander, Planechase, and Chaos unacceptable right off the bad (while you could theoretically play Commander or Planechase in a duel, requiring that much extra work in deck construction in order to play a poor version of the format isn't the best idea). 2HG is already allowed, which brings the only "reasonable" suggestion to... Pauper. A format which is notoriously hard to define the legal cards for without the air of Magic Online telling you when a card has been printed at common.

While I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to spice things up a bit, there are a number of other formats sanctioned for FNM, and there's a reason they're never used: People like Standard and Limited better, as a whole. And I assure you, you don't have to spend $400 to have a good time at an FNM.

As a tangential note, I do hope that, given another block or two of rotation to differentiate it from Modern, we'll start to see Extended pick up again. The format still has a lot of potential, it was just more or less obsolete at its point of (re)introduction alongside Modern.
Rules Nut Advisor