Who wants a full fledged MtG RPG?

42 posts / 0 new
Last post

Surely I can't be the only one here, who dreams of a full-fledged MtG RPG game, right?

Konami has made several very succesful Yugioh games, where the player is given a starter deck, and is then send on some quest to become the best player in the world (or something to that effect).

The world is littered with AI opponent, each with his/her own style and deck. This is complimented with a great in-game currency system, where you gain coins from winninng games, and these coins can then be spend on booster packs (note, no real money is involved, although it probably could be). The cardpool is around the 3000 mark (if I remember corrcetly).

This is the kind of game Magic the Gathering needs.

A base game with a starter plane, a starter deck and an open world in front of you.
Additional planes could be bought with actual money, and each would come with a new adventure. Booster packs could be bought with in-game currency or actual money.

This would of course come with full deck customization and the option to save multiple decks.

I know Wizards may be scared that such a game would ruin their business, but keep in mind that Konami is already runnig Yugioh Online and the actual card games next to all these digital games, and they're are apparently outselling MtG, and have bigger tournaments.

goo.gl/HojpA

goo.gl/vZhDG

wizards_sean inn you role as a community manager could you relay this to the top-brass? (although I suspect the thought have crossed their mind)?

You mean basically what Hex is going to be but with MMO added?

If you don't know what Hex is its going to be a MMORPG card game but the basic card gameplay is magic but the abilities have a different name and it has different art.

I would like for this to happen for MTG but tbh it won't since they don't want to try something different. Duels is evidence for that since they refuse to put in current cards all the time for fear that people won't spend as much on the real cards so they add old cards (and re-use them from past games) instead.

Games Workshop has a similar problem to this with their tabletop.

I do!
@Nuke2099
Hex does look great, but unfortunately it's another game w/o Linux support (I'm not complaining mind you. I knew what i was getting into when I dumped Windows)

I do!

Woohoooo, now there's 2 of us Tongue Out
I dunno.  I've played a few of the Yu-gi-oh RPGs (Over the Nexus) and I can barely beat the first few opponents without using savestates on my emulator over 9,000 times.

I like Duels of the Planeswalkers because it DOESN'T have full deck customizations, just cause I suck at building decks (for instance, I learned on these forums that [C]Wand of the Elements[/C] is an indespensable card in the "Mindstorms" deck of "Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013", and Living Inferno is a bad card.  But otherwise I would have NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS have replaced Living Inferno with Staff of the Elements...)
@Nuke2099
Hex does look great, but unfortunately it's another game w/o Linux support (I'm not complaining mind you. I knew what i was getting into when I dumped Windows)

I do!

Woohoooo, now there's 2 of us 

Now thats 3 of us!!!!Wink

Seriously, Wizards should target the console communites more since virutally all the other big card companies(Yu-Gi-OH), are absent on the consoles. seriously, Konami released a yu-gi-oh game on the ps3 that is honestly the worst game I have EVERY played in my 15+ years of gaming across 5+ consoles. Before its release, I believed that yu-gi-oh was on par with magic, but after playing that game and seeing how messed up the meta game is AND the utterly poor presentation compared to MAGIC 2013, I have now become a Magic fan.

Wizards, please monopolize this untapped(pun intended) marget. A MMO is perfect since that will constantly generate money and you do not need to waste money on making newer installments each year.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
... and we have the beginnings of a business plan Wink
Kinda feel like this is already the direction they're heading with dotp. Introducing more storyline and more background of the multiverse and planeswalkers as we go. Each generation seems a bit more story oriented.
NimNams 2014 DoTP Invitational Sealed Tournament Champion - Undefeated... 'merica. eyePad GC tag: increasing aperture (formerly: uglywagon)
If done right, I would love a MTG RPG!!!

I played something similar on the pc ages ago and liked it 
I posted a topic on this a while back but the gist was: You design your own planes walker and select attributes. Then you travel thero ugh different planes battling monsters and bosses leveling up your character and collecting cars until you're finally powerful enough to take on bolas or whomever. You know, standard RPG fair.
You design your own planes walker and select attributes.

Isn't that a game mode in paper magic?
Mmmm...don't know I don't play paper.

People design their own planeswalkers, but I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to play in any mode.

www.google.com/search?q=custom+planeswal...
NimNams 2014 DoTP Invitational Sealed Tournament Champion - Undefeated... 'merica. eyePad GC tag: increasing aperture (formerly: uglywagon)

People design their own planeswalkers, but I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to play in any mode.

www.google.com/search?q=custom+planeswal...

No, I'm pretty sure there was a game mode in paper magic (or was it on Magic: The Gathering Online) where you get an avatar with attributes and fight other people with avatars that have attributes.

I forgot what was it called...
You mean EDH/Commander?

www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x...

Not quite.  The avatars weren't actual MtG cards; some of them were probably based on real cards though.

But I liked how it created that RPG-esque aspect of a personalized character to the trading card game.
If you sort it out, post. I'd be curious to have a look at it.
is Hasbro gonna sue Hex for basically having the close to the exact same idea, mechanics and rules of the game?
is Hasbro gonna sue Hex for basically having the close to the exact same idea, mechanics and rules of the game?

Probably not. The artwork, titles, names etc are copyrighted. But the general design isn't I believe.  It'd be like COD sueing battlefield (more or less).

Vanguard predates the official Commander line of products, but I'm not sure if it's older than the community-created/maintained EDH casual format.

Vanguard predates the official Commander line of products, but I'm not sure if it's older than the community-created/maintained EDH casual format.

was this produced by WoTC? It looks so chinsy lol
There was an old game like this (keywords to search for: Microprose, Shandalar) based on cards from roughly Alpha to Legends (including the two expansions, one of which, funnily enough, is named Duels of the Planeswalkers). 

You choose a starting color and a starting difficulty (4, from apprentice to wizard) and will start with a generally playable deck on the lower difficulty levels to a 5-colored mess loosely emphasizing your chosen color on wizard (which may literally be unplayable - ie, you could get a card that costs GGG and only two forests).  You start out with 10 life for all your duels, and you travel around the randomly-generated world to villages and cities completing quests (which may award cards, amulets, or increase your starting life total) and beat up on baddies (for which you may earn cards from their deck, or clues to "dungeons" which contain out-of-print cards such as the original moxes) with the eventual goal of defeating the five evil wizards (representing each color respectively) in their castles.  It's a great ton of fun, albeit very easy to build degenerate decks with the card pool (which will make the game so easy as to suck all the fun out of it) with modern deckbuilding knowledge.

It's abandonware now and you can find a community-modded version that makes it run on modern machines if you look for it.  I highly doubt we'll see another game like that, so that's probably your best bet if you want a RPG experience.
My introduction to CCG was Duel Masters on GBA. I loved that game. You started with a basic deck and entered tournaments and used your money for booster packs and such. Would love to see a MtG game in that style.
this looked a bit interesting for people that play paper
1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic:_the_Gathering_RP...
I said this before but I'd rather have a proper story-driven RPG (like say Dragon Age) set in the MtG planes. and each game of the series would be set in a different plane. Impossible to happen of course but it'd be amazing nonetheless.
I said this before but I'd rather have a proper story-driven RPG (like say Dragon Age) set in the MtG planes. and each game of the series would be set in a different plane. Impossible to happen of course but it'd be amazing nonetheless.

So w/o the cards?
Yeah just set in a MtG universe (like Ravnica). Most MtG planes are more interesting than the fairly generic medieval fantasy or near future sci fi settings you always get in other RPGs.
Yeah just set in a MtG universe (like Ravnica). Most MtG planes are more interesting than the fairly generic medieval fantasy or near future sci fi settings you always get in other RPGs.

that is ridiculous imo. The whole point of magic is to play with cards.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

that is ridiculous imo. The whole point of magic is to play with cards.

If the whole point of magic is playing cards, why do they bother releasing books for example? My idea would just be another extension of MtG.
Wizards or sony or both together did magic the gathering tactics.  It could have been way better, but the idea is there.  you still made a deck in that, but you summoned your creatures and they actually showed up instead of being a card on the scree.

All they need to do is go more into it than that.  They could seriously do it and make it good if the get the right company to help(not duels company) 
So wizards_sean, even though this is not the roaring masses I was hoping for, would this be a pitchable idea to the brass? or have they already discussed this idea, and dismissed it?
I like the concept, and have even toyed with it myself. I've even played a Magic-based MUD at one point. I think it would be interesting building characters and mixing the different colours of Magic under the rules of an RPG. Heck, even if it were just a Neverwinter Nights style game and not pen and paper I might look into it. It might have happened before Wizards starting owning the D&D licence, but it would just seem redundant now, and I know they made a statement at one point about wanting to keep the two products seperate. Although that was years and years ago and they might have Romney'd on that by now.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Kinda feel like this is already the direction they're heading with dotp. Introducing more storyline and more background of the multiverse and planeswalkers as we go. Each generation seems a bit more story oriented.

You are kidding me right? Storyline? Where? DotP 2013 has one of the most cheap campaign i saw in very long time.
There was once reach MTG game but then Wizards found very fast that it was bad idea was their bank accounts so now you have paying for very limited advertisment game.

You guys can quit dreaming they will not do anything that could take people from playing normal MTG. In this case they are more gree that Warhammer guys whos made few games in their universe.

You are kidding me right? Storyline? Where? DotP 2013 has one of the most cheap campaign i saw in very long time.

Hence, Duels 2014 having much more attention given to the storyline than previously.
Hence, the above comment.
Yep. Thanks for saving me the trouble Splattercat.
There's already that magic tactics game for PC that has something like you're suggesting and it's free i believe. I haven't played it but heres a link

www.magicthegatheringtactics.com/playnow...
It's free in a very technical sense. It's actually pretty much microtransaction Hell.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I've even played a Magic-based MUD at one point.

Is this still in existence? God, I miss MUDs....I played a terrific one back in the day (among many) that was basically DBZ vs Slayers vs something else that I can't remember, with pilotable GUNDAMs thrown in.
mudstats.com/World/DominiaMUD  Looks like, albeit barely.

Wizards or sony or both together did magic the gathering tactics.  It could have been way better, but the idea is there.  you still made a deck in that, but you summoned your creatures and they actually showed up instead of being a card on the scree.

All they need to do is go more into it than that.  They could seriously do it and make it good if the get the right company to help(not duels company) 

To get ppl into the lore and thus buy more cards. I would accept a full fledged MMO, as long as the combat is primarily done with cards.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Lots of activity. Lots of new players. Lots ... erh ... some complaints about Sealed and the lack of a proper booster opening mode, so maybe that RPG would be a good idea.