Boots of Adept Charging - Is the shift a free action?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Is the shift which Boots of Adept Charging provide after a charge a free action or part of the charge action? This is important for stealth reason.

No, the shift uses no action.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

No, the shift uses no action.

Thanks a lot for the response.

1. Is there a rule that item properties which grant non specified actions are all no-actions?

2. Can I do a stealth check after a no-action with movement?
1. Is there a rule that item properties which grant non specified actions are all no-actions?

Unask the question. The boots aren't granting you a non-specified action. They just say you can shift. Period. No actions of any sort are mentioned, so no actions of any sort are involved.

2. Can I do a stealth check after a no-action with movement?

No. Something that's not an action is, believe it or not, not an action. ;)

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I don't think you understand how this all works Duskweaver..
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Does anybody?
lol fair enough
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Well, I certainly don't understand what you're talking about, but I think that's more down to you than me. Care to explain what it is you think I'm not understanding?

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

It's only an action if it says it's an action.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

I think Duskweaver is bringing up a relatively interesting point. It is not an action. The stealth rules say you can roll stealth at the end of any action that involves moving. So technically, RAW, the movement granted by Boots of Adept Charging cannot be used to make a stealth check, even if you increase it sufficiently.

I think that is where the confusion rests, anyway.

I think Duskweaver is bringing up a relatively interesting point. It is not an action. The stealth rules say you can roll stealth at the end of any action that involves moving. So technically, RAW, the movement granted by Boots of Adept Charging cannot be used to make a stealth check, even if you increase it sufficiently.

But then what you're saying is that I can make a stealth check at the end of the charge (assuming I was a cunning sneak with shadow walk let's say), and then this no-action movement kicks, shifting me to a square unknown while I'm hidden.

If however the shift provided by Boots of Adept Charging is a direct continuation of the charge as some have suggestion, I could only make a stealth check after that shift, where I would stay and my square would be known to the DM and monsters.

So, which is it do you think?

But then what you're saying is that I can make a stealth check at the end of the charge (assuming I was a cunning sneak with shadow walk let's say), and then this no-action movement kicks, shifting me to a square unknown while I'm hidden.

If however the shift provided by Boots of Adept Charging is a direct continuation of the charge, I could only make a stealth check after that shift, where I would stay and my square would be known to the DM and monsters.

It's not a direct continuation of the charge, because it doesn't say it is.  Stealth check happens at the end of the charge, is resolved, and then you shift.
Thanks.

If however the shift provided by Boots of Adept Charging is a direct continuation of the charge, I could only make a stealth check after that shift, where I would stay and my square would be known to the DM and monsters.

It's not a direct continuation of the charge, because it doesn't say it is.  Stealth check happens at the end of the charge, is resolved, and then you shift.

Again, assuming that your use of Gloaming Cut isn't what broke Stealth in the first place. 

I have no idea why you brought up Gloaming Cut.  We were talking about Charge, and the Boots of Adept Charging.
Yeah, sory about that.  I was following another thread where someone was asking about stealthing after Gloaming Cut.