You Make the Card of the Week: Distractions (6-18 to 6-24)

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm not sure I'll be able to do two criterias this week. I'm going to be away from a computer all day tomorrow and possibly a majority of Thursday, and I've gotten into the groove of ending the first criteria on Thursday leading into Friday...We'll see how it plays out this week.

Rules and Information:

1. Anybody may join at any time.

2. One card per post.

3. You may post multiple entries, but not one after the other (wait for someone else to post).

4. No Un-cards, please.

5. There will be at maximum two criterias per week.

6. There won't be any actual grades, just a Top 5 and maybe some comments.

7. The winner of each criteria will earn my nomination for this week's Card of the Week.

1st Criteria: CLOSED

But this is what it was...
Make a card that causes a distraction for your opponents' creatures. Interpret as you will.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Winner's Circle

Criteria 1
Blinding Glare

Enchantment

Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature you don't control.

"Ooh, shiny."

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)

I am Black/Green

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Infighting

Sorcery

Target creature you don't control fights target creature that shares a controller with it.

The art of war is making sure you don't do any of the fighting.
Feigning Mother 
Creature - Bird
If Feigning Mother dies by a source an opponent controls, create three 0/1 blue birds with flying.
1/1

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Charging Rhinoceros

Creature - Beast
Trample
7/3
Shining Illusion

Creature - Illusion

When Shining Illusion becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it.
: Target creature you control other than Shining Illusion is unblockable this turn.

The brightest of lights cast the darkest of shadows.

2/2
Yavimaya Mentor
Creature - Elf Spellshaper
, , Discard a card: Put a 0/1 green Elf creature token named Taunting Elf onto the battlefield. It has "All creatures able to block Taunting Elf do so."
2/2

The name come from the flavor text on Taunting Elf from Urza's Destiny, and Llanowar Mentor

Level 1 Judge

Standby
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, put a mana counter on Standby.
At the beginning of your first main phase each turn, add X mana of any color to your mana pool where X is the number of mana counters on Standby.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Time Bomb (2)

Artifact

Time Bomb enters the battlefield with 5 time counters on it. Each time you cast a spell remove a time counter from Time Bomb. When the last time counter is removed sacrifice Time Bomb and deal 5 damage to target creature and target player.

It makes the opponent focus on getting rid of it, and if they don't there's a big penalty.
Standby
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, put a mana counter on Standby.
At the beginning of your first main phase each turn, add X mana of any color to your mana pool where X is the number of mana counters on Standby.

I want this to be blue. I use it to pay for card draw, and save my lands to pay for my counterspells and counter the spells you cast to give me more counters on this.

Level 1 Judge

Time Bomb (2) Artifact Time Bomb enters the battlefield with 5 time counters on it. Each time you cast a spell remove a time counter from Time Bomb. When the last time counter is removed sacrifice Time Bomb and deal 5 damage to target creature and target player. It makes the opponent focus on getting rid of it, and if they don't there's a big penalty.

I really wish it didn't bother me when people used pre-existing card names.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Inner Turmoil
Enchantment
Flash
Inner Turmoil enters the battlefield with X turmoil counters on it. When the last turmoil counter is removed, sacrifice Inner Turmoil.
Whenever a creature your opponent controls attacks, you may flip a coin. If you win, that creature deals damage to itself equal to its power.
: Until the end of turn, whenever a creature your opponent controls would deal combat damage to you or a creature you control, prevent that damage. Then remove turmoil counters from Inner Turmoil equal to the damage prevented this way. Only an opponent may activate this ability.

"The best thinking has been done in solitude. The worst has been done in turmoil."

Not sure if this fits the criteria, but I believe that a wise designer once said something to the effect that the design's conformation to the criteria is not what is important; if a criteria inspires a good design, then that is the design that should win. Or something. Maybe. More Eloquent. Anyway.

Break Character
Sorcery
Target creature loses all abilities and becomes a 1/1 White Human Citizen until end of turn.

"Must the show go on?"

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
War Games |
Instant

Creatures attack this turn if able.
Whenever a creature attacks this turn, creatures defending players control block this turn if able.

War has become something of a national pastime for goblins.
The One Ring
Legendary Artifact- Equipment

Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has shroud.
Whenever a source deals damage to you or to the equipped creature, that source's controller gets control of The One Ring and may attach it to a creature they control.
Blinding Glare

Enchantment

Whenever an artifact enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature you don't control.

"Ooh, shiny."
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
Suicidal Charge
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature must attack each turn it can. All creatures defending player controls that can must block the enchanted creature when it attacks.

I'll double check Lure later for wording. It more or less is Berserker Lure.
Soporific Dart

Artifact (U)

, : Tap target creature, then that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step unless its controller taps an untapped creature he or she controls.
Temporal Barricade |
Instant - Trap

If 4 or more creatures are attacking you, you may pay rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
Exile all attacking creatures target player controls. Return them to the battlefield tapped. End the turn.
Distract the Masses
Instant
All creatures get -13/-0 until end of turn.
I would've had a 2nd criteria up for this 24 hours ago if I'd had internet 24 hours ago. But my ISP had some major service blackout yesterday morning and it only just now got fixed. So, this is just to let everybody know it's definitely just a 1 criteria week this week.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green

Frollicing Wombat
Creature - Wombat (U)
At the beginning of your upkeep, each other player puts a -1/-1 counter on a creature he or she controls and you put a -1/-1 counter on Frollicing Wombat.
"The dance was wild, free and fierce,
Yet ended quickly, cold and stiff.
Don't join the crazed galloping things
Who dare to dance the edge of cliff!"

4/4

War's Reflexes ()()
Sorcery

All creatures target opponent controls attack this turn if able. Then for each creatures that opponent controls, put a token that's a copy of that creature onto the battlefield. Sacrifice the tokens at the beginning of your next end step.
Top 5 (this week)

vlord's Infighting--Solid execution of an effect that definitely needs to be in Magic. Although I'm sure many would argue that they already printed a card for it. Minor tweak I would do: "another target creature that shares a controller." The spell as worded right now can target the same creature twice.

Tekkahedron's War Games--I suppose it's technically a distraction...

Habreno's Blinding Glare--Pretty straightforward flavor here. You could probably get away with moving this into white if people complain too much about it being blue.

M.holck's Soporific Dart--I don't want to comment on this one. Just accept that I picked your card in peace please.

Rush's Frollicing Wombat--I don't quite get why it's making other creatures get -1/-1 counters, but I'm sure I'd find a frolicking wombat pretty distracting if I saw one.

Nomination Proclamation
Habreno's Blinding Glare. Even though I'm certain many will complain about it being blue instead of white.

I am Black/Green

I am Blue/Green