state-based actions and "draw" vs "win/loss"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
soo a situation came up among our casual tabletop group and we were unsure how it should play out.

i was at 4 life, my opponent was at 8 life.
my opponent cast a spell on me that did 5 damage to me,
i responded with two reverberates,

now both of my copies are on the stack on top of his spell, and will resolve before his, meaning he would take 10 damage, and die. but would i still take that last 5 and end up in a draw?

some basic information we know,

losing the game for having 0 or less life is a state-based action.

rules shows that state based actions are checked whenever a player gets priority, and the rules show clearly that priority is checked after each spell resolves, so my understanding is the following, my copy resolves, he takes 5, we pass priority, statebased is checked, etc, then the next resolves, he takes 5 more, we pass priority, state-based is checked, he has 0 or less, he dies, and the game ends.

am i correct?

they (the rest of the table) believes the entire stack would playout before statebased is checked, so i would still take the damage and die, or they argue that the stack should atleast resolve, even after all opponents lose the game, so i should still take that damage and lose too, thus a draw.

and i can see the points on both sides, but cant find rules that explain it clearly. dont want people just telling me i'm right, i want the correct answer, thanks!

also, using " http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_20130429.pdf " as my current rules reference, we are aware of the new changes including the legendary rule changes and whatnot that isn't included in this aswell.

thank you for your help guys

After each spell or ability has resolved, state-based actions are checked. In this case, after the second Lava Axe (for instance) resolves, state-based effects are checked and the game sees your opponent at 0 or less life, so they lose the game. The rest of the stack does not finish resolving first, they lose the game and their Lava Axe will not resolve.

Also, the new rules changes you mentioned do not go into effect for another month (with the release of Magic 2014). The new comp rules for that update have not been released yet, and won't be for about another month.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

You want Comprehensive Rules excerpts?  Yeah, we got those.  ;)

104.3a A player can concede the game at any time. A player who concedes leaves the game
immediately. He or she loses the game.

104.3b If a player’s life total is 0 or less, he or she loses the game the next time a player would receive priority. (This is a state-based action. See rule 704.)

This covers what happens in a two-player game.  That player leaves the game, and loses the game.  It doesn't matter that there are still one or more objects left on the stack, because the opposing player has left the game and has already lost the game.  The remaining player is declared the winner by default:

104.2. There are several ways to win the game.
104.2a A player still in the game wins the game if all of that player’s opponents have left the game.
This happens immediately and overrides all effects that would prevent that player from winning
the game.

Now, what happens when a player leaves the game in a multiplayer setting?  Here:

800.4a When a player leaves the game, all objects (see rule 109) owned by that player leave the
game and any effects which give that player control of any objects or players end. Then, if that
player controlled any objects on the stack not represented by cards, those objects cease to exist.
Then, if there are any objects still controlled by that player, those objects are exiled. This is not
a state-based action. It happens as soon as the player leaves the game. If the player who left the
game had priority at the time he or she left, priority passes to the next player in turn order who’s
still in the game.

The above rule only exists for multiplayer games, as it's irrelevant what happens to a player's objects in a two-player game: such a game ends, with the remaining player winning the game.  Objects remaining on the stack will not resolve, as the rules say nothing about that being the case. 
thanks! . knew it was in there just couldn't find the exact ones, kept looking in the wrong places i'd imagine.

also - about the new rule changes, i had read July 24th on the page as June 24th, thinking it was anytime now, thanks for clarifying! . we've started playing with it now in our casual group so that we have a bit of time to get used to it before its really mandatory.

appreciate the clarifications. after a while of reading the rules i was starting to wonder if i was indeed correct or just seeing it my way because i wanted to. thanks  
they (the rest of the table) believes the entire stack would playout before statebased is checked, so i would still take the damage and die, or they argue that the stack should atleast resolve, even after all opponents lose the game, so i should still take that damage and lose too, thus a draw 

The game used to work somewhat like that. It has been changed... 13 years ago. «Let the Stack resolve» has been obsolete for more than a decade! Perhaps your friends have learned the game a long time ago and need to brush up on recent rules changes:

Rules Primer for Returning Players

It's not Logic, it's Magic!