weird rule question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
i have a weird rule question i need help with, I have a buddy that plays and uses abilities at the end of my turn, like he says as i'm ending my turn "before your turns over, ill activate such and such ability" is this legal?
Yes it is. All players get priority during the end of turn step. Just because you're passing priority during the end of turn step doesn't mean that your opponent doesn't get a chance to cast spells and activate abilities. So your opponent will be able to cast instants and activate abilities during your end of turn step.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

When you say "I end my turn" you're really saying "A propose a shortcut where I pass priority until your turn begins."

Your opponent can either accept the shortcut (and start his turn), or he can stop your turn at any step he wants to cast an instant or activate an ability.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Just a slight correction...
If Player A indicates he's ending his turn ("go", "your turn", etc.) he is passing priority until his opponent has priority in his own (Player A's) End Step.  If Player B plays anything, he is assumed to be doing so during Player A's End Step. 
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
If Player A indicates he's ending his turn ("go", "your turn", etc.) he is passing priority until his opponent has priority in his own (Player A's) End Step.  If Player B plays anything, he is assumed to be doing so during Player A's End Step. 

Just a slight correction, don't assume anything.  If you say, "Untap, upkeep, draw, I play a land, I got nothing else, go," I can back you up to the end of your first main phase, or the beginning of combat, or the end of your second main phase.  This is useful if I want to force you to attack.  Just because you pass your turn doesn't mean that anything I want to do is going to be during your end step.

Rules Advisor

Just a slight correction, don't assume anything.  If you say, "Untap, upkeep, draw, I play a land, I got nothing else, go," I can back you up to the end of your first main phase, or the beginning of combat, or the end of your second main phase.  This is useful if I want to force you to attack.  Just because you pass your turn doesn't mean that anything I want to do is going to be during your end step.

Obviously if you interrupt the shortcut, you'll be acting during whatever step/phase you wish...just as you would with any proposed shortcut.  The point was that this shortcut pushes the game current turn's End Step, not the Begining Phase of the next turn.

The statement "Go" (and equivalents such as "Your turn" and "Done") offers to keep passing priority until an opponent has priority in the end step. Opponents are assumed to be acting then unless they specify otherwise.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.

Obviously if you interrupt the shortcut, you'll be acting during whatever step/phase you wish...just as you would with any proposed shortcut.  The point was that this shortcut pushes the game current turn's End Step, not the Begining Phase of the next turn.

The statement "Go" (and equivalents such as "Your turn" and "Done") offers to keep passing priority until an opponent has priority in the end step. Opponents are assumed to be acting then unless they specify otherwise.

No, it's not obvious.  If it was obvious, this wouldn't be a thread.  The fact that this is a thread means that someone doesn't understand something, and to tell them that when you say go and I choose to do something automatically means I'm doing it during your end step is telling them something that's incorrect.  There are no absolutes in Magic.

Rules Advisor

Sign In to post comments