Teleporting while prone, in order to stand

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I'm prone and teleport, can I teleport myself into a standing position so as to no longer be prone? I don't think so, because though immobilized can be broken by a teleport, prone doesn't say anything about removing the condition - just that you can teleport while prone.

I ask this question not necessarily to get an answer to the above, but to set up the following question (in case the answer to the above is no):

If I'm prone and trained in acrobatics, can I teleport myself into the air in order to fall, make my acrobatics check, and land standing? Would this be a "hop down," and thus part of the teleport move action, or an actual fall, and thus a free action? I suppose it would depend on how far I fell; teleport myself five feet in the air, make the hop down check, land standing. Teleport 10 feet in the air, make my acrobatics check to avoid falling damage (the character I'm playing is level 12, trained in acrobatics, and has over a +20 bonus to the check...). I'd likely provoke as I fell if adjacent to an enemy, but I can teleport away far enough to avoid that, too.

If the answer to the second is yes (I'm prone, but I fall, and the wording of falling after a successful acrobatics check is "land standing".), do I really need to go through all of that in order to teleport out of prone? I suppose that's a more DM-worthy question, but it's where I'm headed with all of this.

Opinions, arguments, or just a simple "follow this link, buddy, it explains it all," would be welcome and helpful. Thanks!
Falling doesn't provoke OAs.

You can't teleport out of prone.

You can teleport up and fall, landing on your feet. Catstep boots and high acrobatics both work.
The Swordmage in my group put forward the idea last session that you can teleport up 1 square (5 feet) and always land in a standing position because you don't take damage for falling unless you fall at least 10 feet.
The Swordmage in my group put forward the idea last session that you can teleport up 1 square (5 feet) and always land in a standing position because you don't take damage for falling unless you fall at least 10 feet.

But if there is no chance of damage, you can't roll acrobatics to land on your feet via reducing falling damage. Hopping down works, but still has a DC. Though a DC 10 is not exactly pushing the limits of most characters.
My only concern about the hopping down is that it's supposed to occur as part of a move action, as opposed to the acrobatics check when falling, which is a free action. The teleport is the move action. The fall happens after that move action resolves - you're not hopping down as part of the teleport.

EDIT: The compendium says hopping down USUALLY occurs as part of a move action. Doesn't have to. That makes it more viable.  
It can be part of any action that involves moving, not an issue.
From the forum FAQ, if desired:
"If a creature is prone when it teleports, is it still prone when it reaches the destination space? Yes"
From the forum FAQ, if desired:
"If a creature is prone when it teleports, is it still prone when it reaches the destination space? Yes"

That is true, but not helpful, because we're discussing teleporting, arriving prone, and falling to land on your feet.
That is true, but not helpful, because we're discussing teleporting, arriving prone, and falling to land on your feet.

The clarification can help resolve some of the OP's quandary's:
"in case the answer to the above is no"
and
"do I really need to go through all of that in order to teleport out of prone?"

Also note: the FAQ answer was the result of a lot of discussions. Basically, I advanced the acrobatic--teleport-fall idea long ago, and even had it in this very FAQ answer. However, there has always been contention on the subject, so the FAQ answer was shortened to just reflect the designers answer (which has helped some decide that any sort of teleporting out of prone was not very RAI-ish, and maybe should be limited to being a DMG p.42 stunt). YMMV, but there's a reason I took the issue out of the FAQ answer. So even though I agree with you (indeed: I was even an advocate for the trick), probably best to be flexible on the issue within one's own gaming group.
Sign In to post comments