Slumbering Dragon + Flash

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can someone clarify this for me:

Let's say I had an Alchemist Refuge or something that could give my Slumbering Dragon "Flash". My opponent declares combat, I pass priority. He then declares attackers and passes priority to me. Before declaring blockers I "Flash" in my Slumbering Dragon. Would counters be placed on the Dragon? If so, why? If not, why? 
Nope. The Dragon needs to be on the battlefield when attackers are declared in order for its ability to trigger. If it enters the battlefield after attackers have been declared, then it's too late for its ability to trigger and it will not get any counters.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Thanks. Why are the rulings on Slumbering Dragon so incomplete. 

7/1/2012Slumbering Dragon's second ability counts all +1/+1 counters on it, not just the ones added by its third ability.
7/1/2012The +1/+1 counter is put on Slumbering Dragon before blockers are declared. This may allow Slumbering Dragon to "wake up" and block the creature that attacked and caused its ability to trigger.
7/1/2012Slumbering Dragon's third ability will trigger once for each creature that attacks you or a planeswalker you control. 

Anywho, is there any point that slumbering dragon can be flashed in while attackers are being declared in order to trigger his ability? Or does he simply have to be on the field at the start of combat?

Because trying to cover every possible question for every possible card in the Gatherer rulings would end up stretching each page half a mile long. And it still wouldn't cover everything.

Anywho, is there any point that slumbering dragon can be flashed in while attackers are being declared in order to trigger his ability? Or does he simply have to be on the field at the start of combat? 

No; you can't do anything while attackers are being declared. If you want his ability to trigger, he has to be on the battlefield before the Declare Attackers step begins, which means your last chance to bring him out will be in the Beginning of Combat step. If you do that, your Dragon will already be on the field before your opponent decides what to attack with or whether to attack at all.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

7/1/2012Slumbering Dragon's second ability counts all +1/+1 counters on it, not just the ones added by its third ability.
7/1/2012The +1/+1 counter is put on Slumbering Dragon before blockers are declared. This may allow Slumbering Dragon to "wake up" and block the creature that attacked and caused its ability to trigger.
7/1/2012Slumbering Dragon's third ability will trigger once for each creature that attacks you or a planeswalker you control. 

It's just there, the third ruling in the table. "trigger once for each creature that attacks", not "once for each creature that is attacking".

That kind of trigger triggers on the declaration of an attacking creature. Thus as soon as the declare attackers step has begun. The dragon has to be on the field before that point.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.