Detention Sphere

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I just want clarification on this situation

Opponents Rancor is exiled under my Detention Sphere, Detention Sphere is now destroyed, does Rancor go to the graveyard or opponent's hand?
When Detention Sphere is destroyed, it tries to return Rancor to the battlefield.  Rancor has nothing to enchant, so it goes to the graveyard, and then goes back to its owner's hand.
If an aura is being put on the battlefield, then player chooses something it can be attached to, and then attaches it to it. So if they have a creature on the battlefield, they can choose to attach the Rancor to that creature. If, for some reason, there's nothing on the battlefield it can be attached to (say, because you just cast Day of Judgment and destroyed all creatures), then the Rancor will remain in exile.

303.4f If an Aura is entering the battlefield under a player's control by any means other than by resolving as an Aura spell, and the effect putting it onto the battlefield doesn't specify the object or player the Aura will enchant, that player chooses what it will enchant as the Aura enters the battlefield. The player must choose a legal object or player according to the Aura's enchant ability and any other applicable effects.

303.4g If an Aura is entering the battlefield and there is no legal object or player for it to enchant, the Aura remains in its current zone, unless that zone is the stack. In that case, the Aura is put into its owner's graveyard instead of entering the battlefield.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Ohhhhh for some reason I thought that only happened when the Aura went from the stack to the battlefield, not directly onto it.
Does it target when just entering the battlefield?  Maybe that's what I was thinking of: that Auras only target on the stack?
If opponent has no creatures, but I do, does he have to enchant it to my creatures?
Auras only target when they're cast. They don't target anything if they're being put on the battlefield. For instance, in this case, you could put the Rancor on a creature with shroud (but you still couldn't put it on a creature with protection, since the rules of protection prohibit that).

Loon47: They have to choose something it can be attached to. If you're the only player with creaures, then they have to attach the Rancor to one of your creatures. They can't choose to leave it in exile, unless there's nothing on the battlefield that Rancor could be attached to.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Why would it remain in exile and not go to the graveyard?
Because that's what the rules says. The rules say that if the aura can't enter the battlefield because there's nothing for it to enchant, it stays in the previous zone instead (unless that previous zone is the stack, in which case it goes to the graveyard). So, if there are no creatures on the battlefield when the Rancor tries to return to the battefield due to the Sphere's trigger, it will remain in exile. It doesn't enter the battlefield, go to the graveyard, or go anywhere else.

DCI Level 2 Judge

I thought it went to the graveyard from the stack because the Aura spell is countered by the game rules
proud member of the 2011 community team
I thought it went to the graveyard from the stack because the Aura spell is countered by the game rules

It's not on the stack, because it's not cast. It's being put on the battlefield and it doesn't target in that case.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

It's not on the stack, because it's not cast. It's being put on the battlefield and it doesn't target in that case.

Yeah its been exiled by a Detention Sphere (which has then been removed) as part of the question, Enigma.

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

He was referring to when Nate said, "The rules say that if the aura can't enter the battlefield because there's nothing for it to enchant, it stays in the previous zone instead (unless that previous zone is the stack, in which case it goes to the graveyard)," not to the original question.
MTG Rules Advisor Mirrodin_Loyalty.png

An aura can have a legal target, but not be able to enchant it. Consecrate Land doesn't stop the land from being targeted, so the game needs to do something with the card.

Level 1 Judge

that is a cool cornercase I wasn't aware of

cheers
proud member of the 2011 community team
The more common cases are with Copy Enchantment copying auras.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.