Slave pits of the undercity session report

Hi all,

my party was looking forward to a plot arch and since i don't write adventures (too busy). They were keen to do slave lords so i borrowed it off an friend who has every module.

The party just finished white plume mountain and got to level 6. the adventure says levels 3-7 so i thought, fine.

The party consisted of 5 compared to the 6-8 the adventure lists, but i thought they have magic items, they'll be fine.

They did good at white plume mountain, two of the weapons and only two deaths (the efreeti were a little OP but i will say i spawned them when the party was too weak.) but they unsmarted them but getting a wish out of them.

So we had

Eldric the outcast - Dwarf wizard (evocation)
Lady Holly littleknight- Halfling Blackguard
Jack Deathstalker- High Elf Rogue (Trasure hunter)
Qwon - Wood Elf monk 
Skullcrusher- Human cleric (lifegiver) 

so our party was short is second wizard (high elf) and her wand but still.

They scout the place, the wizard flies over while invisibile. They enter the stales, get 2 random encounter of undead, encounter a major level 4 fighter orc which our wizard goes maximised acid arrow and kills in one hit. go through the crypt kill the boss, free the slaves and call it a day

All the while they earn 200xp each and find one magic item.

In a word, this adventure is not suitable for a level 6 party. They did not spend a single hit dice, they had most of their spell slots left at the end of the day, not a potion was drunk. The paladin did not need to cast a single spell.

i would apperciate it if the level was accurately reflexed level 3-7 for 6 to 8 players was so easy for 5 players of level 6. The boss fight was a level 1 thief which the rogue sneak attacked. 

I think there is a major issue with power creep, is the 6th level of ADND the same as the 6th level today? The party has about one magic item each and many give no combat bonus and were not used.

it was a boring wasted night. so can we please be clear about conversions. Perhaps some sort of difficult system, my party are smart and clever. So yeah, converstion too easy. Please clearer level guidelines

From what I remember of the original AD&D module, Slave Pits of the Undercity's suggested levels of 4-7 was fairly overrated. I think it was designed for 4th-7th for tournament purposes, but falls short for regular play. I'd say it was more suitable for a party of level 3-5.

I haven't had a chance to run the latest playtest yet, but we'll be starting this weekend with the new Slavelords hardcover with the 1st level adventure Danger At Darkshelf Quarry. It looks pretty good and should bring the party to 3rd or 4th level, where they can then move on to Slave Pits.
I was wondering this myself. I was thinking of running the Slave Lords series in Next, but what levels would be appropriate to start with. Next characters are more powerful then their AD&D cousins. Will they gain enough xp in A0 to be able to start A1 or do I need to insert another adventure in there somewhere.
Captainvegas: although I haven't crunched any XP numbers for A0, it has over 60 encounter areas. I think 1st level is a good place to start and, if the PCs survive, they should be at least 3rd level by the end of it. I've read the entire module and its quite deadly in places, plus the latest packet contains conversions to match the Next PC classes (hopefully).

I guess with the new rules still in the playtest stage nothing is certain yet, but I'm pretty confident the PCs will be of sufficient level for A1. Like I mentioned before, its suggested levels of 4-7 is a bit of a reach and a 3rd or 4th level group should find it more challenging than a 6th or 7th level group.
i might except level 3 with no major magic items could play through this. You mainly fight orcs worth 10xp each, most enemies are worth 10xp. you at worst fight 12.

Some encounters are harder of course, but that is why you have wizards and clerics.
The module was laid out for a tournament. You have to remove certain "shortcuts" to the end so that the party has to slog its way through enough of the content to present enough of a challenge.
Captainvegas: although I haven't crunched any XP numbers for A0, it has over 60 encounter areas. I think 1st level is a good place to start and, if the PCs survive, they should be at least 3rd level by the end of it. I've read the entire module and its quite deadly in places, plus the latest packet contains conversions to match the Next PC classes (hopefully). I guess with the new rules still in the playtest stage nothing is certain yet, but I'm pretty confident the PCs will be of sufficient level for A1. Like I mentioned before, its suggested levels of 4-7 is a bit of a reach and a 3rd or 4th level group should find it more challenging than a 6th or 7th level group.

Cool. I may get the new reprint book.
1st level seem fine, i'm just annoyed the converstion does making it clear that the level is NOT the same.
Sign In to post comments